Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,001 members, 7,825,102 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:52 AM

Arsenal F.C Sacrificing Trophies For Profits? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Arsenal F.C Sacrificing Trophies For Profits? (524 Views)

Enyimba F.C Of Aba Rewarded With N30m For Winning The Nigerian League (pictured) / The Top 10 Clubs With The Most Official Trophies In Football History / Weekly Wages Of Chelsea F.C Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Arsenal F.C Sacrificing Trophies For Profits? by stonemind(f): 11:27am On Aug 25, 2013
Just some food for thought….

Since we last won the PL, The only winners have been Man United, Chelsea and ManCity. We all know this. Yes, Chelsea, the club with no history have spent Megabucks to achieve all that they have achieved, same goes for ManCity. This is not news to any of us. The game changed years ago since our Invincibles achieved what most believed would never happen. Roman invested heavily into a team that had not had much success at all, same with all the oil money now at City.

The Mancs continued as per usual by investing in talent when they needed to. My main gripe with what has happened to our club is that we have done quite the opposite. Selling our main core of players and re- investing in players who normally would not get a look into our team. Santi is one of the few shining stars who we have picked up due to the distress of another club. Since the inception of the PL, what has The Arsenal actually spent on players?? If we look at the total amount we have made from selling players vs what we have spent on players since the start of the premier league, we have spent £20,216,000 (in 20 years). In comparison Man United have spent £230,810,000, Chelsea £618,165,000 and ManCity £565,927,000. We have spent considerably less than the winners of the past 10 years; a lot less, actually.
I do not expect us to spend the same crazy money that others have spent. Firstly, we would not have to spend a lot of money if we had not been soft and sold all our core players to direct rivals. Isn’t it funny that when we are looking at buying players from rival clubs, no one is crazy enough to sell to us. Rightly so!! We have strengthened the likes of ManCity and even handed the title to Man United last season. Who is to blame? We are! In favour of making profits, we have sold our players and jeopardized our chances of winning any titles. Did we need to sell the likes of Cesc (soon after signing a new contract) and RVP to a direct rival? My answer is NO!! By selling RVP to a rival club we are saying that we are:

1) more interested in making money
2) Not serious about challenging for titles
3) We are a selling club (in order to make profits) I am not saying that I want Wenger Out.

I appreciate all that he has done for the club. All I am saying is that we need a change of direction or leadership. We have heard all the excuses over the past few years, and I do not buy it. Success brings in more commercial money, and the success we could have had with the players we have sold would have meant that we would not have needed to sell players in order to make a profit for the club.

Success also makes you more attractive to other players; and from what we are witnessing now, we do not have the same pull on the Transfer Window as we once did. This is definitely evident. Whilst the current TW is still open and we will make a few panic buys, I am not convinced that we are being led the way that a club such as The Arsenal should. Yes, they will be panic buys because we’ve had the whole off season to plan and buy, and nothing has happened so far.

It’s the same pattern as the past few seasons. We get thrashed by ManUre 8-2, we pick up Zorro, Per, Santos and Park. Gibbs gets injured mid-season, we pick up Nacho. How can the fans accept what is going on when we clear the dead wood from our books and still no one has come in. 17 out, 1 in on a free. Does that sound like a sound planning? Definitely not to me. I now put it to you fine BK’ers out there: in your opinion, what do we need to change to get our fine club back to where it should be?

Re: Arsenal F.C Sacrificing Trophies For Profits? by spenca: 12:37pm On Aug 25, 2013
Are you just knowing ,the club is a money venture

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Future Saying About Nigeria Football.make Ur Comment / England Down To No.13 In FIFA World Rankings As Spain And Germany Stay Top / Avb No Longer In Charge @ Spurs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.