Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:56 AM

England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria (6537 Views)

SuperFalcons Defender Faith Ikidi Weds (photos) / Susanne Ibru Jailed Again For Stalking Man Utd's Rio Ferdinand / Kanu Challenge Lagos Govt Over Rio Ferdinand's Visit To Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by smile4kenn(m): 6:40pm On Jun 10, 2008
England defender Rio Ferdinand has pledged to assist charities and act as an inspiration to young children in a visit to the Nigerian city of Lagos.

Ferdinand, 29, has been promoting education through football and making plans to build an academy.

He completed a two-day tour of Lagos at the invitation of the state governor Babatunde Raji Fashola.

After visiting some of the city's orphanges Ferdinand said: "I came here to inspire children, I feel obliged to give them hope that they can become important people, not only in football but in life as well."

"As a parent, I've got a young family now and it puts it all in perspective really. It makes it worthwhile to come to a place like this to help.

"Some of these kids are just clinging onto life and not sure of what happens tomorrow.

"I want to help attract wealthy business people to put money in all these charities and schemes just to give these kids a chance."

Governor Babatunde Fashola said Ferdinand's visit to Nigeria would help launch the Lagos Street Soccer Championship.

"There are huge talents here that can be as big as Yakubu or Kanu, they just need someone to make them believe in themselves " Rio Said.

"This government aims to inspire the young by mentoring and bringing them close to role models like Rio Ferdinand," Fashola told BBC Sport.

"Engagement of young people in productive ventures such as sport would take children away from vices like drugs and violence."

It is a line the Manchester United ace agrees with: "There are huge talents here that can be as big as Yakubu [Ayegbeni] or bigger than Kanu [Nwankwo], they just need someone to inspire them and make them believe in themselves. "With what I have seen, I can help build an academy here that will see the best of Nigerian talent realise their dreams of being a professional footballer.

"The power of football here is unbelievable, everyone I see here are either Manchester United, Arsenal or Chelsea supporters. Everyone's got football shirts on." 
Ferdinand was struck by Nigerans' passion for football

Ferdinand had the rare chance of meeting the traditional ruler of Lagos, King Rilwan Akiolu who bestowed on him the title of "Chief Fiwagboye".

During the ceremony at his palace in Lagos, King Akiolu told the surprised defender that Fiwagboye literally means "character maketh wealth."

"To be honest, I was a little embarrassed to be named a Chief, I'm not sure I'm worthy but it is something to be proud of really," Ferdinand said.

Ferdinand is expected back in Nigeria with Manchester United later this month for an invitational tournament that will also involve Premier League side Portsmouth.

But one certainty on his next trip is that he will be treated as a Chief and not just a footballer.
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by smile4kenn(m): 6:42pm On Jun 10, 2008
pictures

More to come later, am still searching for his chieftaincy pictures

1 Like

Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by smile4kenn(m): 6:59pm On Jun 10, 2008
piv

Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by A40(m): 8:29pm On Jun 10, 2008
Dont wanna sound like a hater but i am not sure its deserved i mean peeps like Kanu that run charity foundations and do stuff for the kids are not honoured in such way then why Ferdinand?
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 8:33pm On Jun 10, 2008
Who cares?

If giving out chieftancy titles like pure water would result in academies and facilities , so be it.
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by Ayinke(f): 8:46am On Jun 13, 2008
I agree with A-40 but it looks like just about any Western celebrity that comes to Nigeria can become a chief or have a street named after them. So what the hell , it has lost its meaning.
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by A40(m): 6:51pm On Jun 16, 2008
Nigeria is a twisted country i mean this is someone that runs a charity foundation for little kids with heart trouble in a country where the health system is whack and he doesnt even get any commendation not to talk of a chieftaincy title.I have nothing against honoring foreigners but not at the expense of your people
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 7:35pm On Jun 16, 2008
When his mates are busy at the Euro cup. Why didnt Ronaldo, Fabregas, Torres, Ballack or Lucatoni come They are busy but crappy players find their way to Africa when his mates are playing.

At a time when Kings go to war, A warrior is in Africa bagging chieftancy titles
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by Jackal(m): 7:48pm On Jun 16, 2008
And where was Podolski and Klose when Rio was lifting the big ears in Moscow?
They were busy milking cows in Berlin.
Buncha pathetic players. When a spastic goalie like Lehmann stands between the posts for a team, then something is very wrong!
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by yemmight(m): 9:24am On Jun 20, 2008
Jackal

Please ignore these haters. Somebody said he came to bag a chieftaincy when his mates are in euro 2008. Pls lets ask them if England is playing in euro 08. When the guy has achieved this season alone earned him more than a chieftaincy tittle.

Pple have even forgotten what his invitation to Nigeria is all about. What they keep emphazising is the chieftaincy thing.
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by dyabman(m): 10:02am On Jun 20, 2008
chief of stupidness , that cocaine sniffer, oh chief of drug dealers, hahahahahaha grin grin
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by dayokanu(m): 10:41am On Jun 20, 2008
Why didnt he inspire England to the Euros where their mates are?

United supplied more players to the English national team than any club so what were the likes of
Rooney, Carrick, Brown, Hargreaves looking at when they were being whupped left, right and center?
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by ritchboy(m): 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2008
Any famous person who comes to nigeria is made a 'chief' i.e jay z.
If osama visits, they'll probably make him a chief as well grin
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by SamMilla1(m): 7:07pm On Jun 20, 2008
Kanu and other Nigerians who are famous also get honours abroad.
I sense that the people criticising FERDI here are Chelsea and Arsenal fans.
Still mourning huh?

Let it go.
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by Abuja1(m): 4:52pm On Jun 23, 2008
undecidedwhat a shame.
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by lailai2(m): 12:58am On Jun 25, 2008
we sure do hav a lot of chieftaincy titles in naija
Re: England Defender Rio Ferdinand Made A Chief In Nigeria by smile4kenn(m): 6:45am On Jun 26, 2008
Federal Govt. Under Obasanjo Honored JJ Okocha with an OON, Order OF Niger. JJ Okocha has recieved so many chieftaincy tile in Nigeria.

African stars like Ghana‘s Sulley Muntari, Michael Essien, Emmanuel Adebayor of Togo, Didier Drogba of Cote d’Ivoire, Rigobert Song, Patrick Mboma and Samuel Eto‘o of Cameroun are also expected to join the world team to Honor Okocha here in Nigeria today!!!!

It was learnt that Okocha also invited some European players he played with at Bolton, PSG and Qatar for the event.

Is there not a reciprocal move here?, Foreign Players coming to Nigeria to Honor Okocha's Exit from Football.

Kanu did something like this too last month in portsmouth when he offcially launched his KHF in England.

Some Eagle Players should also have been invited by Lagos State Govt along side Rio to innugurate their so-called Street Football.

Remember, the street Football is for Lagosians, By Lagosians and in Lagos, so it would have been right for Lagos Govt to supliment Rio's Visit with other Eagles stars. For now, Kanu is partly Right

(1) (Reply)

Why Is There No Cashout 4 My Bet9ja Booking? / Imama Amapakabo Invites 33 Home-based Players For U-23 AFCON Qualifier vs Libya / Betting Most Pay... 1.70 - 5 Odd Daily.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.