Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,313 members, 7,836,355 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Can Obama Happen Here? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Obama Happen Here? (745 Views)

Poll: Do you know your legislators i.e. LG councillor, State House of Ass., Rep. & Senator?

I know all 4: 33% (1 vote)
I know 3 of them: 0% (0 votes)
I know only 2 of them: 0% (0 votes)
I know only 1: 33% (1 vote)
I don't know any: 33% (1 vote)
This poll has ended

Can Obama Win Election In Nigeria?? / Can Obama End Racism In The U.s.? / Can Obama Really Win? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can Obama Happen Here? by anonimi: 9:17am On Jun 11, 2008
Someone:

* from a minority group,
* without name recognition,
* not extremely wealthy from corruption and/or 419
* without a long CV of political experience

can he be nominated by PDP, ANPP, AC etc

Why not, if not?
What needs to change for it to happen here.
I guess one can assume that since we all are rejoicing in the fact that it happened somewhere else, it means we see as a good thing, which we would love to also happen here, right?
Re: Can Obama Happen Here? by abdurrazaq(m): 10:07am On Jun 11, 2008
The case of Obama can only happen in Nigeria only when the level of illiteracy in Nigeria is reduced. Only educated and enlightened people will want to vote you into any political office just because you are capable in their view. What we have been witnessing in Nigeria since the beginning of this democracy is voting because of candidates' tribes, party, etc.

If we want to achieve what America (especially African-Americans) achieved with Obama we should not relent in our efforts to be educated. Nigeria is now breeding bunch of illiterates and 'educated-illiterates' both from the majority and the minority groups. How do we then achieve the 'Obama' in Nigeria then?
Re: Can Obama Happen Here? by bebure(m): 12:20pm On Jun 11, 2008
LOL!!! Of course not. Maybe in 30 years or so when a higher proportion of our voting population is educated. But for now when I think of Nigeria I am almost moved to tears. Where do we even begin with this country of ours?

(1) (Reply)

What Will Be Your Reaction / Solution To N'delta Promblem From Obasanjo Man / South West Reps Plan Bankole's Impeachment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.