Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,350 members, 7,868,023 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 09:11 AM

Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids (31643 Views)

See What A Nairalander Invented 6 Years Ago. (photos) / 5 Inventions By Kids. / 7 Things You Didn’t Know Were Invented By Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by stylesco: 8:30am On Aug 29, 2013
Naija kids invented making of kite with nylon or paper,rope and broom stick
tongue grin
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by touchmehard: 8:36am On Aug 29, 2013
nenergy: I didn't invent anything, but i did create lots of stuff from scrap. e.g using Peak milk tins and bathroom slippers to make battery powered cars and making a gigantuan torchlight from discarded batteries. grin Here are 7 Things You Didn’t Know Were Invented By Kids...Enjoy!
Anyone who’s gotten to know a child knows how incredible they can be. Sure, they blurt out embarrassing observations in public, but that’s because they don’t filter their thoughts. And yes, they occasionally ruin wallpaper with crayons or finger paint, but that’s because their creativity knows no bounds. Here are seven examples of children whose imagination and ingenuity produced something extraordinary.

Toy Truck

In 1963, 6-year-old child inventor Robert Patch created a convertible toy truck. Patch had two goals for his truck: one, that it could easily be taken apart and put back together; two, that it could transform into all sorts of different vehicles. After drawing up a sketch, the boy got a patent for his idea, and the rest was playtime history

Trampoline

In 1930, when George Nissen was a 16-year-old high school gymnast, he began tinkering with an idea for a bouncing apparatus to train on. But it wasn’t until 1934 that Nissen and his University of Iowa tumbling coach Larry Griswold built a device that actually worked. Then, in 1937, when Nissen was traveling the carnival circuit, he came across the Spanish word
trampolin, which means “diving board.” Adding an “e” to the end, he trademarked the name for what was to become a backyard family favorite.

Snow Mobile

In 1922, when Canadian Joseph-Armand Bombardier was 15 years old, he was tinkering around with his dad’s old Ford Model T motor and decided to attach it to a sled to see if the machine could power through the snow. He enlisted the help of his brother to steer while he took control of the motor, and the first inklings of a powered snow machine were born. Fifteen years later his device, the B-7, was the first snowmobile to hit stores.

Television

Just about everyone owns a TV, but did you ever dream that a teenager came up with the idea? In 1920, 14-year-old Philo Farnsworth first conceived of it, supposedly while he was plowing a potato field. In 1926, he and his business partner founded Crocker Research Laboratories (later named Farnsworth Radio and Television Corporation); only one year after that, the first-ever transmitted images were sent.

Popsicles

In 1905, when Frank Epperson was 11 years old, he was trying to concoct his own version of soda pop. One particularly cold night, he left his beverage—a glass filled with soda water powder and water—outside on the porch by accident, with the mixing stick still in it. The ingredients froze overnight and Epperson was inspired. In 1924, after the young inventor had some success in the real estate business, he applied for a patent, naming his creation the Epsicle. Later, it was changed it to the now well-known Popsicle.

Earmuffs

Chester Greenwood grew up ice skating in his native Maine. One day in 1873, the 15-year-old finally became so annoyed with how cold his ears became outdoors that he asked his grandmother to sew fur onto a two-loop wire he created. Soon he had a patented and approved model of what he originally called ear protectors. The state of Maine is so thankful for his invention that every December 21 is celebrated as “Chester Greenwood Day.”

Braille

Born in France in 1809, Louis Braille was blinded by an injury when he was only 3 years old. In 1824, while he was a 15-year-old student at the Royal Institute for Blind Youth in Paris, he created a type of reading that involved raised, imprinted dots organized in a pattern to facilitate learning. The first Braille book was released in 1829—and Louis Braille went on to become an instructor at the school where he had once been a student.

source: http://www.womansday.com/life/7-things-you-didnt-know-were-invented-by-kids-107168
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Lawrence14: 8:37am On Aug 29, 2013
wow.....i wouldn't believe it.that is gr8
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Nobody: 8:39am On Aug 29, 2013
Just WOW!! I love these group of people called KIDS smiley lovely group with great imagination and spirit.

This reminds me of my childhood dayssmiley how me and my siblings did everything we could to invent a special kind of generator, but failedgringrin OMG!!!

Still didn't give up, me and my immediate elder bro tried to invent a battery using our own local acid (electrolyte) we got from experimenting on one leaf like that, lol...it failed but we succeeded in making our own local electric bellsmiley

All I am trying to say is this: every kid (Nigerian, African, European, Asian, Arabian or Indies) is gifted with the power of imagination and fantasy which are the driven force behind their success and creative inventions, and honestly, I am sure so many Nigerian kids are somewhere trying to invent something cos even while I and my siblings were trying hard to invent sth, 2 diff friends told me theirs too, and I was only 13yrs thengrin...

But I don't know y our black folks hardly succeed here in black nation....dunno y.

Nice post...my kids....my kids....smiley

2 Likes

Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 29, 2013
Adrenaline123: Naija boy invented how to hide inside aeroplane tire

Naija boy this not invent that, he wasn't the first to do it rather, just type the word "STOWAWAY BOY" on GOOGLE and you'll see that even more than a century ago, people (,young boys) were planning this suicide!!!
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 29, 2013
ujusexy: nice one
wot abt nija

we invented the remix
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Natasha2(f): 8:52am On Aug 29, 2013
Nice thread
For those of you saying Nigerian kids this and that hello are you guys kidding me?? Have you not seen the science expo that is carried out every year?? Or you have never watched the programme Young Inventors?? well then I guess we know who have been wasting their time on facebook. Watch those programmes and I tell you, you will be amazed what our youngstars can do. What I dont understand is why the government can't keep up with those kids at the science expo, like build a technical school for gifted kids. There are so many untapped talents here in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Shekson(m): 8:54am On Aug 29, 2013
So awed by the brilliance I̶̲̥̅̊n̶̲̥̅̊ creativity of the BRAILLE kid. Its out of dis world
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by bong4(m): 9:08am On Aug 29, 2013
nenergy: cheesy
if you think say e easy go try am.All na invention jare. Flying without barrier.
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by switdil(f): 9:10am On Aug 29, 2013
olopan: lets give em kids a round of applause coz em too much
every invention has a story behind it
.make your own or kids story count today!!!!
Nigeria needs you!!!
OH wait i make am cool cool here again shocked shocked ......opeeeee mi ooooooooo tongue tongue grin

Bros ee
I too feel u grin grin
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Chiopatra: 9:11am On Aug 29, 2013
Victoriousvic: Interesting. . .when I was younger, I invented games. I don't mean video games, i'm talking about outdoor games. I was known as the "Chairman of play" cos I could play from morning till night, bringing up new games grin
u be goat grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Chiopatra: 9:16am On Aug 29, 2013
Revolva: after our girls no go let blackberry or the latest version of smart fone rest...u go see an illetrate babe...holding BB Z10 or Q10...iphone 5 GALAXY S4..while they cant even spell orrectly..or even google anything..or even know how to sign up a facebook or email account i know them well well..i have assisted many to get a facebook acccount..na wa oo i come dey wonder how did they manage to buy these expensive fones...
u wat have u invented??
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Nobody: 9:33am On Aug 29, 2013
Say whatever you want to say...kids are still dumb creatures to me
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by bukatyne(f): 10:00am On Aug 29, 2013
The mind is the best gift God gave to us.

A lot of us have so many ideas and dreams but fear, lack of encouragement and support etc. will not make them see the light of day.

Kudos to these children
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Nobody: 10:04am On Aug 29, 2013
Natasha,,:
Nice thread
For those of you saying Nigerian kids this and that hello are you guys kidding me?? Have you not seen the science expo that is carried out every year?? Or you have never watched the programme Young Inventors?? well then I guess we know who have been wasting their time on facebook. Watch those programmes and I tell you, you will be amazed what our youngstars can do. What I dont understand is why the government can't keep up with those kids at the science expo, like build a technical school for gifted kids. There are so many untapped talents here in Nigeria.
So true! We have lots of untapped talents. I am a living witness. Will definitely handover my book of things to invent to my kids. I had lots of design drawings on things I wanted to invent. Whenever I see the drawings and the write-ups, I laugh with tears...lots of imagination that ought to have yielded results, lol. Never late thoughsmiley

Anyway, just wanted to let u know that u said the truth and I am a fan of that programme.

1 Like

Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by olawonder(m): 10:21am On Aug 29, 2013
Dem talk say kids invent something, dis 'agbayas' for NL dey fight for 'first to comment'... fish brains!
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by netbrilliance(m): 10:59am On Aug 29, 2013
Thats is sooo inspiring
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by mecussey(m): 11:03am On Aug 29, 2013
When I was 10, I thought I was about to invent a device that can put out a 220v from a 12v battery. I was so excited after coupling two relays together with a transformer. Only to discover 2 yrs later that it has already been invented and its called either UPS or inverter. I was disappointed, so I tried solar with already made solar calculators but there was no way to improve on it, I tried chemical with H2so4 got very good current and voltage and discovered that the zinc was melting and emitting some gases that I didnt know was Hydrogen. The gas entered my eye one day and it was so painful. Later I realised the gas was highly inflamable, and I thanked God for not keeping naked flame around because, I use to. When I entered the university and reading inventions that was when I realised the white men has gone very far and I asked what else can I do than to continue with what they have done already.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by lindybest(f): 11:17am On Aug 29, 2013
lolz..i'm sure he saw it in a movie. grin
lolz..i'm sure he saw it in a movie.
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Sirmuell(m): 11:24am On Aug 29, 2013
Yungwizzzy: I just say wow

their counterparts are here smiggling from 2go to whatsapp to BBA abi BBM to Facebook to twitter to babdoo to viber to Skype to gmail /yahoo_sending people dia Senegal refugee scam stories_to Nairaland talking dia bf & gf, hiding under arik tire.

the younger kids crying 4 indomie inventing ba3 powered cars using bathroom slippers

abeg naija is too blessed and least I forget I'm I first??
. What did you do with your own life when you were younger bro, you are accusing a young Nigerian for hiding in an aircraft tires to fly abroad, at least he made an attempt not to die in silence and hunger he suffering from the hands of corruption, he is a go getter, by the way your name betray you, you were a wizzzy to the society while young!
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by harsysky(m): 11:26am On Aug 29, 2013
I neva knew. One can actually do a patent jst by invEnting like that...I invented throwing one's fallen tooth/teeth on d zinc and wen rat swallows it , the person grows a new One..tis all gone now cos everybody does it..lol..am confused on wia to place that invention of mine.
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by iamdsam: 11:35am On Aug 29, 2013
Our kids here can do similar or even better if only our environment can encourage them
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Ustec: 12:01pm On Aug 29, 2013
Most of dem are not kids jare...u tink say a 15 year old oyinbo boy reason lyk ur own 15 year old 9ja boy ni...
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 29, 2013
i invented apian way cheesy
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 29, 2013
When i die i know that my name will be great
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by kaposky(f): 2:05pm On Aug 29, 2013
Am sure if naija children have the same opportunity those
kids have, they will invent even much more better stuff than these.
In life, time and chance(opportunity) are what counts.
Given equal opportunity and time, everybody will produce equal result.
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by Natasha2(f): 7:29am On Aug 30, 2013
DailyNews: So true! We have lots of untapped talents. I am a living witness. Will definitely handover my book of things to invent to my kids. I had lots of design drawings on things I wanted to invent. Whenever I see the drawings and the write-ups, I laugh with tears...lots of imagination that ought to have yielded results, lol. Never late thoughsmiley

Anyway, just wanted to let u know that u said the truth and I am a fan of that programme.
lol @"my book of things to invent" grin nice thing you've got something to show your kids though.

Thanks jare I was kinda vexed when i saw comments degrading our youngstars. Those programmes are very educative. Btw you're right its never late "but I guess you dont have the driving force anymore" # Like the stories I wrote years ago that I wouldn't even bother myself to complete. grin
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by nenergy(m): 7:51am On Aug 30, 2013
mecussey: and I asked what else can I do than to continue with what they have done already.
Just keep at it..you might find the cure to HIV/AIDS cheesy
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by nenergy(m): 7:54am On Aug 30, 2013
dvdon: As a kid I invented somthing, and that's how to turture a lizard by pumping water into them with a syringe, Awwww u need to see how helpless they look b4 they die grin grin grin grin grin

Secondly making a bird to be both static and dynamically flying, by tying a thread on its leg n tying the tread to rails of a balcony. Ppl were amazed at there sight then.

I even evented ny own sweet by moulding n rapping milo n milk in a foil n leave it for about a week.
grin grin grin
Ha! Evil doctor shocked Doctor WHO cool..Please use your talent to find the cure for HIV/AIDS o!
Re: Things You Didnt Know Were Invented By Kids by kolamilan(m): 3:28pm On Aug 31, 2013
nice one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

See Two Men Fly Above Dubai / Download Latest 2go Version 6.1.3 – Www.2go.im – 2go Messenger / Metal Fabrication In Aba (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.