Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,371 members, 7,822,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

‘Touch Not My Anointed’ - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ (20703 Views)

"Touch NOT My Anointed..." What Does It Really Mean? / "touch Not My Anointed" Taken Out Of Context Explained / Touch Not My Anointed & Do My Prophet No Harm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Slipknot(m): 6:06pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hmmmm...touch not my annointed! Indeed. Who are the annointed? Do we still have them? Abeghi... Pass joor!! Brb

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by emmybliz(m): 6:06pm On Aug 27, 2013
who get bb charger?
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by anytexy: 6:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
Help please! "this must make front page". What does it mean? Can any body in the house explain to me plaese.
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by sunkoye: 6:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
if God had said "Touch not my anointed" He really meant it. The question should be How can we discern who are God’s anointed!

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Nobody: 6:08pm On Aug 27, 2013
[quote author=Abujafood]Touch not my anointed rather means inflict no harm (physical) on my anointed and do my prophet no harm. By the way only kings were anointed in the Bible not even priests and Jesus Christ is the last anointed of God.
Jesus is not the last anointed of God.Anointing means Christos in Greek.Do read 1 John 2:27.
I think Christ actually means the anointed one so calling yourself anointed means your calling yourself Christ. That must explain why Jesus said in the last days there shall be many false Christs (anointed men of God).
There are also real Christos.Your analogy here doesn't follow.Because money is real doesn't mean there won't be a counterfeit no?
It's blasphemous to call your pastor anointed man of God that's like calling him a Christ and nobody is above criticism except God so is your pastor God?
They are actually anointed,just like any follower of Christ is anointed.

Fanatical Christians please answer this question?
Thank God i am a radical for Jesus. cool already answered.

By the way I'm a Christian although liberal!
You re neither hot nor cold.God hates that,wish you are HOT.

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by sunkoye: 6:11pm On Aug 27, 2013
Slipknot: Hmmmm...touch not my annointed! Indeed. Who are the annointed? Do we still have them? Abeghi... Pass joor!! Brb
God's anointed can even be an ordinary church member. infact, if God is in you then u are anointed!
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by veraobi: 6:20pm On Aug 27, 2013
shadrach77: 1 Chronicles 16:15-22 (KJV)
Be ye mindful always of his covenant; the word which he commanded to a thousand generations; [16] Even of the covenant which he made with Abraham, and of his oath unto Isaac; [17] And hath confirmed the same to Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant, [18] Saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance; [19] When ye were but few, even a few, and strangers in it. [20] And when they went from nation to nation, and from one kingdom to another people; [21] He suffered no man to do them wrong: yea, he reproved kings for their sakes, [22] Saying , Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm.

From the above quoted scripture, we (Christians ) are all descendants of Abraham so the "touch not my anointed" scripture applies to everyone not Men of God alone smiley sad cool
ur 100% right.. If not because of our money. Offering n tith. Can he pay 4 a pent house suit in London. Yet people worship him like a superstar.
Thunder go fire all of them.
Torch nt my anointed.
Thou shall not Jorge. Oleee.
Nonsence
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by veraobi: 6:26pm On Aug 27, 2013
sunkoye: if God had said "Touch not my anointed" He really meant it. The question should be How can we discern who are God’s anointed!
I keep saying it. THE BIBLE IS REALLY CONFUSED.
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Built2last: 6:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
nice piece
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by sarutobie(m): 6:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
veraobi: I keep saying it. THE BIBLE IS REALLY CONFUSED.
The bible is not confusing for God is not a confusionist.the problem is that most 'christains' don't read and study the bible.If you did,you would have known the context in which a scripture was written..read the above quoted scripture carefully and you will understand the context in which the 'touch not my annointed' was made and who the annointed are.

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by mistybravo(m): 6:47pm On Aug 27, 2013
moscobabs: Reading this is like sitting on stool watching BBA .I have many thing to do with my life than waste my time reading this meaningless words
That's why you can't be mentally free
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Yahayamoses(m): 6:49pm On Aug 27, 2013
netbrilliance: OP....You are missing up Spiritual Truths of God's Word with Men's Logical Reasoning......God's Ways are entirely different from Man's Ways.....your POV is rational but is God seeing it the same way...that is an entirely different thing.........Remember he Said in his word....JUDGE NOT
. D bible said, say d truth n d truth shall set u free. D bible also if one of u is doin evil n we didn't correct dt person, he wil reguire his blood 4rm our hand. Judge not mean, dn't say or conclude wat u dn't knw so dt u wil nt conderm innocent person. Bible said if u judge, judge righteously. Bible said if u ar in d spirite u cn judge mean if u ar nt der wen it happen, d spirite wil direct u wat 2 say.
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by mistybravo(m): 6:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
Is that man calling for #1billion donation from 4 church members is also an anointed man of God

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by CollinsLeSkillzMadumere(m): 7:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
adtiezy1: someone tell me what that is all about?? that text is too long for me o jeree
If you want to hide anything from a black man, put it in writing. That's the summary of the write up. Hope I've been of help dear
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by moscobabs(m): 7:03pm On Aug 27, 2013
m
mistybravo:
That's why you can't be mentally free
mugun
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
netbrilliance: OP....You are missing up Spiritual Truths of God's Word with Men's Logical Reasoning......God's Ways are entirely different from Man's Ways.....your POV is rational but is God seeing it the same way...that is an entirely different thing.........Remember he Said in his word....JUDGE NOT

Sooo, in other words, if ur Pastor Rapes u or 12 year old sister, you shld keep quiet cos it is said "JUDGE NOT" in His word? undecided
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Nobody: 7:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
veraobi: ur 100% right.. If not because of our money. Offering n tith. Can he pay 4 a pent house suit in London. Yet people worship him like a superstar.
Thunder go fire all of them.
Torch nt my anointed.
Thou shall not Jorge. Oleee.
Nonsence
grin grin grin
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by rabzy: 7:38pm On Aug 27, 2013
2 Tim 3v16,17 says all scripture is breathed of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness so that the man of God may be fully competent, thoroughly furnished for all good works

But these 'MOG' unlike all the men of God in the bible such as david, aaron, samuel, peter don't want any reproof nor discipline. The scriptures says it is he who God loves he disciplines, so if they keep resenting discipline that planely shows they are no 'MOGs'.

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by rabzy: 7:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
As a christian you are obligated to correct erring ones, to show the way according to the scriptures, to correct, to reprimand, to discipline in love. Nobody is exempted from correcting neither is anyone above correction.

If we all leave matters in Gods hands, nobody is watching out for anyone, nobody is being cautioned nor disciplined, then we would run the risk of amassing sins with impunity,and that would be eternal destruction.

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by uhuns: 7:45pm On Aug 27, 2013
"TOUCH NOT MINE ANOINTED."
Well, guess what? It isn't what you
think. It sounds good, when taken
out of context.
If you say anything negative about
any person thought to be
"anointed", you get blasted with
TOUCH NOT MINE ANOINTED. Both
Scriptures where this statement is
made is referring to "THE SEED OF
ISRAEL, HIS SERVANT; O SONS OF
JACOB, HIS CHOSEN ONES". It is not
referring to Benny Hinn or anyone
else you might think. You must read
all the Scripture, and not just one
line.
I Chronicles 16:12-22
12/ Remember His wonders that He
has done. His signs, and the
judgments of His mouth.
13/ O SEED OF ISRAEL, HIS SERVANT;
O SONS OF JACOB, HIS CHOSEN
ONES.
14/He is Jehovah our God, His
judgments are in all the earth.
15/ Remember His covenant forever,
the word He commanded to a
thousand generations.
16/ Which He has made with
Abraham, and His oath to Isaac;
17/ and He established it to Jacob
for a statute, TO ISRAEL as a
covenant forever,
18/ saying, I will give you the land
of Canaan, the lot of your
inheritance;
19/ when you were few in number,
even very few, and sojourners in it.
20/ and they went up and down,
from nation to nation, and from one
kingdom to another people.
21/ He has not allowed any to
oppress them; yea, for their sake he
has reproved kings;
22/ TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED ONES,
and do My prophets no evil.
The above Scripture is repeated in
Psalm 105:6-15. Halley's Bible
Handbook says that Psalm 105 is a
"Historical Psalm - a Poetic summary
of Israel's History. Dwells especially
on their Miraculous Delivery out of
Egypt."
If your demons won't allow you to
see this clearly, let's look at the
word TOUCH.
Strong's Concordance number is
5060 - a prim. root; prop. to touch,
i.e. lay the hand upon (for any
purpose; euphem., to lie with a
woman); by impl. to reach (fig. to
arrive, acquire); violently, to strike
(punish, defeat, destroy, etc.): - beat,
(x be able to bring (down), cast,
come (nigh), draw near (nigh), get
up, happen, join, near, plague, reach
(up), smite, strike, touch.
Now let's look at the word ANOINT.
Strong's Concordance number is
4899 - from 4886; anointed; usually
a consecrated person (as a king,
priest, or saint); spec. the Messiah; -
anointed, Messiah.
4886 - a prim. root; to rub with oil,
i.e. to anoint; by impl. to
consecrate; also to paint; - anoint,
paint.
The Eerdmans Bible Dictionary says,
"It was important that Israel's kings
be anointed, thus signifying royal
competence - e.g. Saul, David,
Solomon. In the Old Testament they
were called THE LORD'S ANOINTED, a
title applied specifically to Saul,
David, and Solomon. In the Psalms it
is a general title for the king. As
such the Old Testament kings may
be said to prefigure the great
Anointed One, Jesus Christ."
JESUS IS THE DELIVERER
note.
the above is not mine.
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by JNdupu: 7:48pm On Aug 27, 2013
rabzy: 2 Tim 3v16,17 says all scripture is breathed of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness so that the man of God may be fully competent, thoroughly furnished for all good workses says it is he who God loves he disciplines, so if they keep resenting discipline that planely shows they are no 'MOGs'.

One thing that confuses most of us is the skilful juggling of the Old Testament vs New Testament dichotomy by some christians who seem to want to have it all.

Bear with me please - the Old Testament is full of the most heinous evil acts and commends severe wickedness (by today's standards) to be committed on others - child murder etc.

The issue was raised the other day in another thread but we were told the Old Testament no longer applies, abi? Yet, the issue of Tithes and "Touch not my annointed" are selectively crafted from the Old Testament.

What is it nau?
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by ladygogo: 7:53pm On Aug 27, 2013
JNdupu:

One thing that confuses most of us is the skilful juggling of the Old Testament vs New Testament dichotomy by some christians who seem to want to have it all.

Bear with me please - the Old Testament is full of the most heinous evil acts and commends severe wickedness (by today's standards) to be committed on others - child murder etc.

The issue was raised the other day in another thread but we were told the Old Testament no longer applies, abi? Yet, the issue of Tithes and "Touch not my annointed" are selectively crafted from the Old Testament.

What is it nau?

This really cracked me up. grin grin grin grin
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by gerald09(m): 7:58pm On Aug 27, 2013
Religion in Nigeria is a disgrace. I hated Nigerian religion ever since I watched that Winners SOB slap dat little girl. I wonder how people who claim to be sharp men and women can be deceived cheaply. Until dey see dis so called "pastors" as MEN first b4 d "Of God" dey will remain in perpetual s*tupidity. For dat white dude dat says he has neva seen a Nigerian who don believe in religion. Hey! Here is 1 Nigeria dat says NO to religion n believe me they are so many of use. Religion has destroyed the country we love, it has eaten into every aspect of the gov, I remember wen I was serving, every morning corpers were woken up to go say prayers n worship. NYSC is suppose to be for the Nigerian people not for them bloody religions a*ssholes.
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Elgaxton(m): 8:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
joel lala: Touch not my anointed” is a popular argument amongst Christian adherents – especially of Pentecostal persuasion – every time someone threatens the bubble of invincibility built around their spiritual leaders.

Those four words, taken from the Holy Bible, and shamelessly mangled out of context, are supposed to mean one thing: that God’s servants, by virtue of their “calling” and “anointing”, are above criticism, censure and accountability.

When, last week, a young Nigerian woman posted on the internet an account of how she was allegedly emotionally manipulated and seduced by a rather high-profile Nigerian pastor (whom she named; she herself was not anonymous), many of the comments that followed in defence of the Pastor were based, not on a desire to know/find the truth, but on the belief that she, as a member of the flock, should not have tried to publicly call out a servant of God the way she did. In other words: It is simply not done.

It was a similar reaction that followed the widely publicised video clip in which another servant of God publicly slapped a teenage girl, on the grounds of witchcraft. Anyone who publicly condemned that action was subjected to open hostility from those who firmly believe that it is not in the place of any human to question someone whose calling derives from divine agency. Regard that stance as a theological form of the controversial constitutional immunity that our politicians have since learned to abuse; existing to protect anyone who claims to be a servant of God from having to account to anyone but God.

It is an ‘immunity’ I find problematic, and, frankly, unacceptable; I believe that no amount of spiritual gifting or authority should obviate the need for accountability by all who claim to derive their authority and standing from the name of God.

There are lessons to be learned from the child abuse scandal that has rocked the Catholic Church for years. As much as the church tried to cover up and dissemble – and that is not surprising – the sort of secular and legal scrutiny that followed ensured that in a lot of cases the truth came out.

If someone who claims to be a servant of God acts in a manner incompatible with the dictates of their religion, they deserve to be called out the way we would call anybody else out. If they break the laws of the land, they deserve, like everyone else, to face the music. That is the harsh lesson that a number of Nigerian preachers have learnt in recent years – that much of the stuff that people get away with in Nigeria – because of a general penchant for lawlessness, and a tendency for people to hide behind God’s name – ought to be unacceptable in any country that firmly believes in the rule of law and the significance of accountability.

One fascinating example of the pervasive immunity mentality comes from an essay by the writer, Yemisi Ogbe, titled ‘Men of God as Superstars.’ It is a brilliant deconstruction of Nigerian church mentality from someone with the privileged perspective of an insider.

She writes about a book, titled ‘Loyalty and Disloyalty’, written years ago by a Ghanaian preacher which emphasizes the danger of being a “rebel” within the House of God – rebel defined, of course, from the perspective of the Overlord: anyone who commits the unforgivable sin of adopting a questioning stance. By these standards, rebellion is akin to witchcraft, and deserving of nothing less than “execution.”

This is the book’s message for all “rebels”: “God will divinely, displace and replace you with someone else. Your seat will be taken by another who is worthier than you. You will be banished into obscurity and oblivion. There will be a curse on you and your family.”

Who wants to go up against a curse placed in the name of God?

Place that within the context of Nigeria, home to a people who, for all our unruliness (evident in airport terminals around the world), are given to a lot of ridiculously servile behavior.

You have to wonder why Nigerians aren’t doing a better job of questioning all forms of abuse of authority – secular or religious; corporate or public.

Nigerian Christians ought go to church not only with their hearts but with their minds as well, and seek to occupy that uncomfortable space where faith, whilst remaining fully vested in the divine, also takes full account of the existence – and importance – of rationality.

It is that rationality that reminds us to shun all foolishly simplistic doctrines, for example the one implies that if you faithfully serve God (which more often than not means paying tithes and offerings) you will come to no harm, live and die wealthy, avoid sickness – and that if all is not well with your life it has to be because you’re not giving enough, or attending church enough.

I think many of our spiritual overlords are seeking to have their cake and to eat it – living tax-free lives built on the contributions of members (last time I checked God wasn’t tossing private jets or cars out of the skies) and yet seeking to stay above the responsibility to be accountable for their actions.

As Ogbe points out in her essay: “Most Nigerian Christians understand well the contradictions in the lives of their men of God, especially in terms of what is professed, the lifestyle, and the tenets of the bible.”

Which might be fine – but only to an extent. No society can or should exist without checks and balances.

And no society can survive the impact of religion purely as a purveyor of materialistic comforts, the way we like to practise it here. By unifying the oppressed and their oppressors with the false comforts of endless hope (the insistence that with the right amount of faith the poor will find wealth, and the rich even more), religion – Pentecostalism especially, with its glitzy blending of materialism and emotionalism – helps us all adapt to and justify dysfunctional conditions we should long have revolted again.

How do you expect a people to revolt against a political class who own the front seats in the houses of God; and whose actions, judging from the consenting silence, or worshipful adoration, of spiritual overlords, does not seem to be in any way in contravention of God’s standards.

When I saw the title of this write-up, I thought there would be some element of scriptural reference to counter the ones other writers in this forum have used to express their ideas on the "Touch Not my Anointed " phrase.

I dare say that this your write-up is a mere musing of your thinking and cannot be used as a measure to counter any argument as it relates to scriptures.

So go get your bible and cite instances that can give your argument some substance.

Me I'm researching too. wink
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by judedwriter(m): 8:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
No b lie, 4 9ja, we dey worship pastors! Dem b like God 4 our eyes, 4get say dem dey go toilet like us. When dem come dey misbehave, u go hear-pastor, u mean u do this? As if 2 say e fall from heaven. Anointing no dey just 4 pastors, na we all get am! wink

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by ladygogo: 8:25pm On Aug 27, 2013
Elgaxton:

When I saw the title of this write-up, I thought there would be some element of scriptural reference to counter the ones other writers in this forum have used to express their ideas on the "Touch Not my Anointed " phrase.

I dare say that this your write-up is a mere musing of your thinking and cannot be used as a measure to counter any argument as it relates to scriptures.

So go get your bible and cite instances that can give your argument some substance.

Me I'm researching too. wink

It was written by Joel Lala. It was written by Tolu Ogunlesi for the Punch newspapers.

Why does he have to buttress his points with Bible passages. What makes you think he reads the bible or believes in God.

This is common sense! Duh. Well I guess its not so common where Nigerian christians are gathered.

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by ladygogo: 8:27pm On Aug 27, 2013
"I don't know one Christian that goes to church to worship, but I do know a lot of them that seems to think it washes away all the bad things they do each week. I also know a lot of them that go there because they're afraid of not going."-A Huffington Post Commenter.

Food for thought lipsrsealed
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by stagger: 8:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
While I do not agree with some of the points raised by the OP and I do not share in some of his comparisons, I think we all agree on one thing:

"Touch not my anointed, and do My prophets no harm" is not an immunity clause. But it also does not prevent pastors the right to fair hearing.

The lady in the COZA case made an allegation and is yet to submit any kind of proof to back it up. Many people here and outside of Nairaland have been quick to pass judgement on the pastor without a TOTAL examination of the facts. Yet we criticize the Nigerian police when they shoot "innocent" (really innocent or not) people to death.

If the pastor cannot be given a fair hearing and Ese Walters cannot prove her case, then we have no right questioning any accidental discharge by the Nigerian police.

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 27, 2013
^^^^
Zombie alert..

4 Likes

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
Nigerians! We fear everything but God! SMH!!!

1 Like

Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by Donmichaelz(m): 8:56pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hahahahahaha Let's assume pastor Adeboye,bishop oyedepo where ones men of God,and now they are not cos they buy jet's...the question is when david had the opportunity to kill Saul he said How can I touch the Lords annointed(even thou the bible said God had rejected Saul) As far as these men where ones men of God (which I belive they still are) they are the Lords annointed.I remember when people use to insult the poor by calling dem CHURCH RAT,behold old things has passed away all things are new
The bible also made it clear dat d poor will always be among the brethren,why do u complain as if the money for private Jet will solve all their problems.Make sure you don't offend God by insulting his servant's....is it not wise to shot up dan to open your mouth and receive Curses?afterall

Judas was Angry when a woman bought an expensive perfume for jesus,what did jesus say "You talk like dis nt because u care for the poor but because you are thives"

GOD Bless Pastor Adeboye
GOD bless Bishop Oyedepo
How would u feel if after your insults these Men enter HEAVEN?you will surely b in Hell(think twice don't write just to get comment). JESUS IS LORD,KING and the SAVIOUR give ur life to him.
Re: ‘Touch Not My Anointed’ by MuyiGL: 9:00pm On Aug 27, 2013
adtiezy1: someone tell me what that is all about?? that text is too long for me o jeree

This is why you will remain ignorant. Until Nigerians can cultivate the habit of reading and cognitive thinking, we can't move forward

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Cost Of Sallah Ram In Your Area? / Hell-bound Christians And Heaven-bound Unbelievers / Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.