Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,738 members, 7,831,350 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

Women As Imams? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Women As Imams? (1179 Views)

Reactions To Westgate Murders By Muslim Scholars/imams / MEND Threatens To Bomb Mosques & Assasinate Imams / Why Are Muslim Imams Not Buying Private Jets? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Women As Imams? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Aug 27, 2013
Salamu ale kum wa'rahmatullah wa baraktuhu
please is it permissible for a woman to lead salat? Either mixed or just her fellow Muslim women?
Salam.
Re: Women As Imams? by herveze: 9:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
Walakun salam,Woman cannot lead prayer but if there is no man in the mosque,then she can lead but she should reduce her voice.
Re: Women As Imams? by Nobody: 3:41am On Aug 28, 2013
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.
Actually a woman is permitted to lead salat, provided the congregation are only female.
however, a woman must not lead male nor mixed (female and male)in salat.
a woman can lead other women in congregation as the prophet (s.a.w) permitted Umm waraqah to lead her family in prayer(of course the females) and also its reported that Aisha (r.a) would stand in the middle of the row (not in front like men) and she would lead the women in prayer.
hope this helps,
Re: Women As Imams? by Nobody: 7:57am On Aug 28, 2013
ibit-abid-qudrt:
wa alaykum salam wa rahmatullah wa barakatuhu.
Actually a woman is permitted to lead salat, provided the congregation are only female.
however, a woman must not lead male nor mixed (female and male)in salat.
a woman can lead other women in congregation as the prophet (s.a.w) permitted Umm waraqah to lead her family in prayer(of course the females) and also its reported that Aisha (r.a) would stand in the middle of the row (not in front like men) and she would lead the women in prayer.
hope this helps,

So why are women not allowed to lead men in prayers? Is it because they are inferior and worthless compared to men or because men will not be able to concentrate on their prayers due to the sexy seductiveness of the female imam's voice?
Re: Women As Imams? by BetaThings: 9:39am On Aug 28, 2013
NL member:

So why are women not allowed to lead men in prayers? Is it because they are inferior and worthless compared to men or because men will not be able to concentrate on their prayers due to the sexy seductiveness of the female imam's voice?

None of the above
It is because Allah has so decreed and we hear and obey. We don't second guess

4 Likes

Re: Women As Imams? by BetaThings: 1:11pm On Aug 28, 2013
NL member:

I don't understand. I thought the decree for women to not lead men was a hadith by the prophet and not a directive from the quran? If Allah forbade women from leading men in prayers then why did the Prophet grant permission to Umm Waraqa to lead both the men and women of her household in prayers?
we actually don't discriminate between what Allah and His Prophet (SAW) have said
The Prophet (SAW) does not speak out of his own desire. He follows instructions

Um Waraqa led members of her household (female only? both male and female, the issue is not clear); but she did not lead the general public
And this basically follows the injunction the best prayer for a woman is in her house
I notice that you like this topic
Why don't we discuss matters that are much more important?
It is easy to get a man to lead the prayers anywhere and that is certain; and it is compulsory to pray
We can more profitably discuss the pillars of salat
Re: Women As Imams? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Aug 28, 2013
NL member:

I don't understand. I thought the decree for women to not lead men was a hadith by the prophet and not a directive from the quran? If Allah forbade women from leading men in prayers then why did the Prophet grant permission to Umm Waraqa to lead both the men and women of her household in prayers?
[quote author=NL member]

first of all, pls u guyz that have an habit of invading people's posts ajust looking for fauls and excuses for urself, pls stop. if u want to find out, ur welkom, but if ur here to find fault...

and perhaps u mite ave been busy finding faults u didnt notice in my post that i said

"the prophet (s.a.w) permitted Umm waraqah to lead her family in prayer(of course the females)"
only the females of her house hold. and u've got to watch yur attitude, lest it makes u lose on good things.
and # the prophet (s.a.w)'s lifestyle was the Qur'an , so matter the digging one can never find sunnah opposing Qur'an.
Re: Women As Imams? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
BetaThings:
we actually don't discriminate between what Allah and His Prophet (SAW) have said
The Prophet (SAW) does not speak out of his own desire. He follows instructions

Um Waraqa led members of her household (female only? both male and female, the issue is not clear); but she did not lead the general public

Umm Waraqa led both the males and females of her household, please, there is nowhere in the hadith where it was said that she led only the females.

According to the Sunan of AbuDawud, the hadith says: “Umm Waraqah wanted to accompany the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to the battle of Badr, but the Prophet told her to stay in her home.” Further in this hadith it is said that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to visit her in her home. He appointed a person to give the Adhan (call for Prayer) for her and he told her to lead the Prayer for the people of her house. `Abdur- Rahman ibn Khallad (the reporter of this hadith) said, “I saw her muezzin who was a very old man” (Abu Dawud 500)

Besides, even if her household consists of only females then why didn't the prophet ask her to seek her male relatives to lead the prayer of the females? I understand that it is disliked(Makruh) for females to lead prayers even when they are leading their fellow women. Why would the prophet ask a woman to do something that is disliked instead of telling her to get her brother or husband or son or any other male in the vicinity to lead prayers?

I notice that you like this topic
Why don't we discuss matters that are
much more important?
It is easy to get a man to lead the prayers
anywhere and that is certain; and it is
compulsory to pray
We can more profitably discuss the pillars
of salat

We are not discussing any pillars of Salat. Are you trying to hide something by changing the subject?
And why are you now bringing up reasons for why men are supposed to lead instead of women? You said before that there is no given reason and you muslims just hear and obey so why are you talking about how easy it is to get male imams?

Also, yes, I like talking about these things because they are some of he things that I don't understand about Islam.
How am I ever going to become a Muslim when I don't understand these things?
embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Women As Imams? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
ibit-abid-qudrt:
irst of all, pls u guyz that have an habit of invading people's posts ajust looking for fauls and excuses for urself, pls stop. if u want to find out, ur welkom, but if ur here to find fault...

and perhaps u mite ave been busy finding faults u didnt notice in my post that i said

"the prophet (s.a.w) permitted Umm waraqah to lead her family in prayer(of course the females)"
only the females of her house hold. and u've got to watch yur attitude, lest it makes u lose on good things.
and # the prophet (s.a.w)'s lifestyle was the Qur'an , so matter the digging one can never find sunnah opposing Qur'an.

Why do I get the feeling you are only pretending to be ignorant and illiterate?
Re: Women As Imams? by BetaThings: 4:05am On Sep 01, 2013
NL member:

Umm Waraqa led both the males and females of her household, please, there is nowhere in the hadith where it was said that she led only the females.[

Have you studied all the evidence on this matter? It is not as clear as you present.
NL member:
According to the Sunan of AbuDawud, the hadith says: “Umm Waraqah wanted to accompany the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) to the battle of Badr, but the Prophet told her to stay in her home.” Further in this hadith it is said that the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) used to visit her in her home. He appointed a person to give the Adhan (call for Prayer) for her and he told her to lead the Prayer for the people of her house. `Abdur- Rahman ibn Khallad (the reporter of this hadith) said, “I saw her muezzin who was a very old man” (Abu Dawud 500)

I don't really want to belabour this matter. There are other factors that you must consider
A woman cannot stand in front of other women while leading, let alone men. If she prays in a gathering, the best row for her is the last row. Her best salat is prayed in her home.
Were she to lead men at all, she will lead from the back.
This is the type of stuff that

NL member:
Besides, even if her household consists of only females then why didn't the prophet ask her to seek her male relatives to lead the prayer of the females? I understand that it is disliked(Makruh) for females to lead prayers even when they are leading their fellow women. Why would the prophet ask a woman to do something that is disliked instead of telling her to get her brother or husband or son or any other male in the vicinity to lead prayers?[

The male relatives had gone off to war? Had they not?

NL member:
We are not discussing any pillars of Salat. Are you trying to hide something by changing the subject?

Are you sure that this matter is not an aspect of the pillars of salat?
Of what benefit is this matter really given the number of times muslim pray daily. A man of 70 will have prayed for 60x5x365 times. Not one of this would have been led by a woman. So what are we doing on this thread
Hide? You can learn as much as you like from Google on this topic. A lot of Christians debate with Muslims based on their "extensive" knowledge from google. I cannot hide anything

NL member:
And why are you now bringing up reasons for why men are supposed to lead instead of women? You said before that there is no given reason and you muslims just hear and obey so why are you talking about how easy it is to get male imams?
I am not giving reasons. I am just telling you that the issue does not have viable practical application
NL member:
Also, yes, I like talking about these things because they are some of he things that I don't understand about Islam.
How am I ever going to become a Muslim when I don't understand these things? [
You want to become a Muslim? Interesting. Fact is that you are only interested in these limited application stuff
The fact is that I am NEVER EVER going to pray behind a woman. And I don't see any man that is ever going to do that?
So why learn things that are practically useless?
We beseech Allah to give us beneficial knowledge. It is useful to know that Prophet Noah (AS) had an ark that survived the flood, but the colour? That does not matter
Re: Women As Imams? by herveze: 5:22am On Sep 01, 2013
Why all these arguments on something that is very simple,woman is not allow to lead prayer in any religion,even it is inside bible that woman should not lead, corinthians 14,34-36 go and check it
Re: Women As Imams? by maclatunji: 7:05am On Sep 01, 2013
^I have banned the troll for other offences. If he comes back here to derail, he will get an additional ban.

(1) (Reply)

How To Be 'happy' / What Sin Did Satan Commit In Islam ? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.