Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,342 members, 7,822,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:54 PM

Static Site To Wordpress - PLEASE HELP - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Static Site To Wordpress - PLEASE HELP (619 Views)

How To Move From Blogger To Wordpress / Hacking: How To Back Up Your Wordpress Site To Google Drive And Restore Easily / Can't Log In To Wordpress Dashboard After Mistakenly Changed Url To HTTPS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Static Site To Wordpress - PLEASE HELP by FarmTech(m): 12:02am On Aug 30, 2013
I tried to convert my static website to wordpress but encountered a problem. Now visitors cannot access my site and I can not log into wordpress.

While doing the transfer, I followed these steps:
1. Install WP in a subdirectory
2. Create posts and pages
3. Install plugins and make sure that the site is running fine
4. Log into Cpanel and Move WP to the root directory
5. Use PhpMyAdmin to edit the urls that need to be edited. That is, I remove the now defunct subdirectory where WP was installed from the urls.

After doing all these I encuntered the problem. Please help me, what should I do?
Re: Static Site To Wordpress - PLEASE HELP by enny234: 1:05am On Aug 30, 2013
NOTE: This post was originally posted in January of 2009 and was intended to help small HTML sites (5 to 10 pages) convert to WordPress. A lot has changed since then, and if you are trying to convert a larger site I highly recommend taking a little deeper approach. I have written another post (Convert HTML to WordPress) on the subject in 2010 that might help larger sites make the transition to WordPress,contact me at www.facebook.com/scholarshipalerts,like the page and send a message.

Yes, I do conversions for others. If you would like a quote, simply send me a link to your site and contact information on facebook at www.facebook.com/scholarshipalerts

Working with someone recently made it apparent the process to move a static site to WordPress has been made a lot harder than it needs to be. Here is the easiest way to convert a static website to a WordPress blog. You will not have to do any redirects or modify any files other than in the WordPress admin area.

Let’s assume we have 3 static pages, Index.html, about.html and products.html and we want to move to WordPress.

Install WordPress in the root of this domain.
Immediately copy the Index.html to the WP Theme (whichever theme you are using) folder, and rename it Home.php
At this point, your site will look to the world just like it always did. WordPress will automatically use the home.php page as the default, and now you can go about putting it all together. You should have no broken links or any worries about redirects.

Leave the permalinks with their default settings. This keeps you from having problems with existing pages.
Copy the contents from About.html and create a page called About
Copy the contents of your other files and make pages with the exact same names. If your page names are different than the titles, you can edit the permalink to match the filename (without the html extension).
Once the data is copied and you have the look you want, change the permalink to /%postname%.html
For PAGES (Not POST) to use the HTML extension you need a plugin as WordPress only applies the Permalink structure to the posts. Recommended HTML Extension Plugin -> WordPress Hero
Install this Plugin first for the pages.
Remove the old static pages, I suggest keeping them just in case you have a problem, but you need to move them out of the root.
Copy the index.html contents to the file you want to be your home page, and delete the Home.php file. Typically this is the index.php in the theme, however you may want to use a static page depending on the site setup. You can change this is the WP Settings.
At this point, your conversion is done.

Example:

Index.html has been copied to home.php http://test.cybercoded.com/
Original About.html still in place http://test.cybercoded.com/about.html
WordPress Version of About has been created http://test.cybercoded.com/?p=48
Additional page has been created http://test.cybercoded.com/?p=44
All I have to do is change the permalink and remove the old files and I am done.

There, no need to mess with your .htacess file, and no need to worry about redirects, let the system handle it for you.

And yes, I have done several sites like this.

I also use the Home.php method to park a page if I need time to work on it before going live.
like us at www.facebook.com/scholarshipalerts
Re: Static Site To Wordpress - PLEASE HELP by FarmTech(m): 2:39am On Aug 30, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I finally figured it out!

Here is what I did:

I went to wp-config.php and corrected the path to wp-super-cache. I found this code:

define( 'WPCACHEHOME', '/home/MY-HOST-USER-NAME/public_html/test/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/' ) and change it to:

define( 'WPCACHEHOME', '/home/MY-HOST-USER-NAME/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-super-cache/' )

I simply deleted "test", which is the sub-directory I installed WP in.

I also went to my .htaccess file and deleted "test" from the file paths. There was a lot of them.

This is a big sigh of relief. I hope this will help someone one day.

(1) (Reply)

Free Google Traffic: A Better Way To Optimize Your Article / Top 5 Software To Build Your Small Business Portfolio Website Yourself / Admin/moderator Needed At [b]naijazoom.com[/b] For Updating The Site Regularly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.