Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,055 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City (25486 Views)

Mega-City: Lagos Ranked Alongside NewYork & Beijing (photo) / Lagos Ranked As The Most Corrupt State In Nigeria In 2014 / LAGOS Is World's 3rd Worst City To Live In. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Anuoluwap(m): 1:49am On Aug 30, 2013
LAGOS—Lagos is the fourth worst city in the world, Economist Intelligence Unit, EIU, an independent forecasting and advisory business within the Economist Group has said.

And its top worst cities, are scattered around Africa and Asia. Lagos, the fourth on the list, shares its 137 position with Port Moresby, in Papua New Guinea on 38.9 per cent.

The report made available yesterday described it as the second-fastest growing city in Africa and the fourth worst city on earth.

“Rapid growth is not always a good thing because Lagos is now a magnet for two perpetual threats to peace: pirates and Islamist warriors.

Boko Haram have a problem with cities like Lagos and also lots of weaponry. Pirates threaten trade and use kidnapping as a method of funding. Islamist terrorist groups such as Boko Haram (“Education is forbidden”) want to create their own version of heaven on earth by destroying cities such as Lagos and imposing strict sharia law. Lagos has enormous potential but as yet little to show for it – hence its poor ranking,” the report said.

EIU in its 2013 annual survey of the world’s 140 major metropolises, said Lagos has a long way to go politically, socially and economically before it joins the emerging market club.
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/lagos-ranked-4th-worlds-worst-city/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Smooyis(m): 2:22am On Aug 30, 2013
Eko o ni baje o.

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Anuoluwap(m): 2:25am On Aug 30, 2013
Smooyis: Eko o ni baje o.
O baje ti

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Freewilly(f): 2:27am On Aug 30, 2013
Who wants to bet me that this thread would not make the front page on NL.

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Anuoluwap(m): 2:31am On Aug 30, 2013
Freewilly: Who wants to bet me that this thread would not make the front page on NL.
we shall c *smiles with devilish face*

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by mithel(m): 2:35am On Aug 30, 2013
Anuoluwap:
we shall c *smiles with devilish face*

this article has been treated twice, whats the new thing there undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Anuoluwap(m): 2:39am On Aug 30, 2013
mithel:

this article has been treated twice, whats the new thing there undecided undecided
those are old ones. This is the latest rank. See the source urself vanguard to b precise
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by mithel(m): 2:41am On Aug 30, 2013
Anuoluwap:
those are old ones. This is the latest rank. See the source ursele vanguard to b precise

and vanguard are always up to datevanguard are reporting it late dazall wink
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by mithel(m): 2:43am On Aug 30, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1283634/lagos-worlds-3rd-worst-city

same economic blah blah people plus it says 3rd worst, i am sure that makes you feel better cheesy

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Anuoluwap(m): 2:45am On Aug 30, 2013
mithel: https://www.nairaland.com/1283634/lagos-worlds-3rd-worst-city

same economic blah blah people plus it says 3rd worst, i am sure that makes you feel better cheesy
i have seen that a long time ago. Just type my topic on google then you'll knw the latest news abt it.
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Garrithe1st: 2:45am On Aug 30, 2013
Anuoluwap: LAGOS—Lagos is the fourth
worst city in the world,
Economist Intelligence Unit, EIU,
an independent forecasting and
advisory business within the
Economist Group has said.
And its top worst cities, are
scattered around Africa and Asia.
Lagos, the fourth on the list,
shares its 137 position with Port
Moresby, in Papua New Guinea
on 38.9 per cent.
The report made available
yesterday described it as the
second-fastest growing city in
Africa and the fourth worst city
on earth.
“Rapid growth is not always a
good thing because Lagos is
now a magnet for two perpetual
threats to peace: pirates and
Islamist warriors.
Boko Haram have a problem with
cities like Lagos and also lots of
weaponry. Pirates threaten trade
and use kidnapping as a method
of funding. Islamist terrorist
groups such as Boko Haram
(“Education is forbidden”) want
to create their own version of
heaven on earth by destroying
cities such as Lagos and
imposing strict sharia law. Lagos
has enormous potential but as
yet little to show for it – hence its
poor ranking,” the report said.
EIU in its 2013 annual survey of
the world’s 140 major
metropolises, said Lagos has a
long way to go politically, socially
and economically before it joins
the emerging market club.
Source
www.vanguardngr.com/2013/08/lagos-ranked-4th-worlds-worst-city/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by mithel(m): 2:46am On Aug 30, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1416239/top-ten-most-livable-cities

another one ,

ofcourse as a gentleman, i apologise for spoiling your hustle to be on the frontpage , i dey see you ''wahalaing'' all the mods to get it there , better luck next time, hope no hard feelings because that hustle no be small thing wink
Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Anuoluwap(m): 2:52am On Aug 30, 2013
mithel: https://www.nairaland.com/1034091/lagos-world-3rd-worst-city

another one ,

ofcourse as a gentleman, i apologise for spoiling your hustle to be on the frontpage , i dey see you ''wahalaing'' all the mods to get it there , better luck next time, hope no hard feelings because that hustle no be small thing wink
I can see ignorance and illiteracy is disturbing you. Since you cannot differentiate between '3rd' and '4th' and you find it difficult to differentiate between latest news and olds. I don't blame you. It's already late maybe you need to rest your brain.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by mithel(m): 3:01am On Aug 30, 2013
okay o , i do know 137th is the same with 137th ......goodluck undecided

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Garrithe1st: 3:04am On Aug 30, 2013
1. Why did the writer(s) focus on marketing Lagos State (which has been enjoying relative peace) to Boko Haram instead of mentioning specific challenges faced by the "Economic Capital of West Africa"??

2. "Lagos has enormous potential but as yet little to show for it – hence its poor ranking,” the report said".

The above is a typical unintelligent statement one would expect only from "Air-Heads". The above article is devoid of facts or figures, just empty words.

3. If its the 2nd fastest growing City in Africa isn't that suppose to be commendable, yet the writers want fools to believe that the only two effects of this growth is

- Influx of Boko Haram...

- Increase in piracy...

4. It would be nice if we knew the other 139 cities being rated alongside Lagos this might put this rating in its proper perspective. Afterall UNN, Uniport, Uniben, Nnamdi Azikiwe Uni etc aren't among the top 5000 Universities in the world...cheesy cheesy cheesy. Imagine rating UNN alongside 2000 other Universities in the world. Wouldn't that be a resounding 2000th out of 2000?... grin grin grin

I rest my case till Nigerians wake up from their sleep and start commenting on this thread..

grin grin

32 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Nobody: 3:10am On Aug 30, 2013
After all d overhyping

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by spartan66(m): 3:24am On Aug 30, 2013
Choi!!! Na which kain akamu journalism kon be dis one naw?

The writer speculates lagos would be a magnet for islamic terorists and pirates due to its impressive growth rate, hence its ranking as one of the world's worst cities! Na wa o!

12 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ShineIt: 3:36am On Aug 30, 2013
We don't need foreigners to tell us Lagos is shyte because we know.

Lagos is so fvcked up the slogan "Eko ni baje" was created.

Sad to say the rest of the world sees Lagos as "baje" no matter the slogan or how loud you say it.

Scream "Eko ni baje" till tomorrow but the rest of the world ain't gonna buy that crap.

Save your voices.

18 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ShineIt: 3:41am On Aug 30, 2013
spartan66: Choi!!! Na which kain akamu journalism kon be dis one naw?

The writer speculates lagos would be a magnet for islamic terorists and pirates due to its impressive growth rate, hence its ranking as one of the world's worst cities! Na wa o!

Boko haram is expected to flood Lagos in future cause of Yoruba muslims who want same thing as their Northern counterpart>>>>to islamize Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by mankevo(m): 5:14am On Aug 30, 2013
In rational thinking, I don't expect anyone to jubilate over this. Do we reason ''One Nation'' at all?

I am sure Lagos was THE ONLY Nigerian city among that ranked list. Which means if it is 4th worst, the other 35 cities and Abuja ARE NON-EXISTENT!!
It's not every report we should be hyping ethnic response or party differentiation. For people already ''celebrating'' this report, which position is your city? Does EIU know your city name?
I will rejoice any day I read that my beloved Enugu city is 1st worst amongst: Dubai, Shanghai, Beijin, New York, Denver, Oman....... (It will mean world recognition)
City must first meet the ranking parameters before it could be included in the fold, and here it means ONLY LAGOS is Nigerian city worthy of EIU ranking.

39 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by sexywapmaster(f): 5:16am On Aug 30, 2013
eko o ni baje

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by Nobody: 5:20am On Aug 30, 2013
Fake propaganda... Which boko haram want Lagos... This white men are the bokoharam... Have not had of any1 trying to impose sharia in Lagos... What about Maiduguri, Bagdad etc... THIS PROPAGANDA IS A LIE...AND WE SHOULD BE VERY SUSPICIOUS OF IT....DON'T TRUST WHITE MAN...THEY D0N'T PROGRESS 4US IN AFRICA...

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ImHotepX: 5:26am On Aug 30, 2013
Yes, it might be the 4th worst city in the world, however, it's still the best and by far the only place worthy of city-status in Nigeria. The rest are glorified villages and towns and none of them made the list, including the sleepy and boring architectures having Abuja!

If you doubt my assertion, check the migration pattern in Nigeria to find out the only place where almost all Nigerians want to migrate to.

Anyway, that being said, how many cities in the world with the small land-mass as Lagos has over 20 million people inhabitants? - NONE. So Lagos isn't really doing bad, thanks to Fashola - the state just need to purge some of the "foreigners" living there and it'd be fine.

The land of my ancestors, Lagos, I'm really proud of you! cool

Signed by Imhotep, the greatest man that ever lived and the father of almost everything we call civilisation!

22 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by solomon111(m): 5:27am On Aug 30, 2013
That state has no future.
Even if bokoharam does not consume it,nature will consume it.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ImHotepX: 5:27am On Aug 30, 2013
mankevo: In rational thinking, I don't expect anyone to jubilate over this. Do we reason ''One Nation'' at all?

I am sure Lagos was THE ONLY Nigerian city among that ranked list. Which means if it is 4th worst, the other 35 cities and Abuja ARE NON-EXISTENT!!
It's not every report we should be hyping ethnic response or party differentiation. For people already ''celebrating'' this report, which position is your city? Does EIU know your city name?
I will rejoice any day I read that my beloved Enugu city is 1st worst amongst: Dubai, Shanghai, Beijin, New York, Denver, Oman....... (It will mean world recognition)
City must first meet the ranking parameters before it could be included in the fold, and here it means ONLY LAGOS is Nigerian city worthy of EIU ranking.

@ the bolded - words of wisdom!

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ImHotepX: 5:29am On Aug 30, 2013
solomon111: That state has no future.
Even if bokoharam does not consume it,nature will consume it.

However, it made the list...where's your city village on the list? grin

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by FreeGlobe(f): 5:31am On Aug 30, 2013
Congratulations to Lagos for remaining consistent in clinching this award. It seems the Fashola/Tinubu propaganda machinery is yet to spread outside Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by FreeGlobe(f): 5:34am On Aug 30, 2013
ImHotep-X:

However, it made the list...where's your city village on the list? grin
Not all cities made the list, Abuja is far better than Lagos but was not there, the list was all about the best and the worst, the intermediates were not considered

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by solomon111(m): 5:34am On Aug 30, 2013
ImHotep-X:
Yes, it might be the 4th worst city in the world, however, it's still the best and by far the only place worthy of city-status in Nigeria. The rest are glorified villages and towns and none of them made the list, including the sleepy and boring architectures having Abuja!

If you doubt my assertion, check the migration pattern in Nigeria to find out the only place where almost all Nigerians want to migrate to.

Anyway, that being said, how many cities in the world with the small land-mass as Lagos has over 20 million people inhabitants? - NONE. So Lagos isn't really doing bad, thanks to Fashola - the state just need to purge some of the "foreigners" living there and it'd be fine.

The land of my ancestors, Lagos, I'm really proud of you! cool

Signed by Imhotep, the greatest man that ever lived and the father of almost everything we call civilisation!
Lagos is not even in the top-ten livable cities in Nigeria.
And if you think states like cross-river,akwa-ibom,imo and enugu who are reputed for their serene environment and tourist attractions are slums or villages,then you must be high on cheap weed or sophisticated ignorance.
Btw,your fore-fathers did not make lagos the cosmopolitan city that it currently is.

23 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ImHotepX: 5:38am On Aug 30, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Not all cities made the list, Abuja is far better than Lagos but was not there, the list was all about the best and the worst, the intermediates were not considered

You're not making sense at all. If Abuja was considered a city worth mentioning, I'm sure it would have made the list. Abuja is just Abuja, a glorified pensioners' town.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Ranked 4th World’s Worst City by ImHotepX: 5:44am On Aug 30, 2013
solomon111: Lagos is not even in the top-ten livable cities in Nigeria.
And if you think states like cross-river,akwa-ibom,imo and enugu who are reputed for their serene environment and tourist attractions are slums or villages,then you must be high on cheap weed or sophisticated ignorance.
Btw,your fore-fathers did not make lagos the cosmopolitan city that it currently is.

Well, a few countries on the list were represented by two or more cities - how come all the villages you listed up there ^^^^ didn't get a mention?

All those villages combined should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Lagos. People from there migrate to Lagos, not the other way round. You can overdose on haterade as much as you want, but you lot can never touch Lagos. Lagos is head and shoulders above all those villages - FACT! undecided

And hell yeah, my fore-fathers set the tone for what Lagos is today. (REAL)Lagosians have always been far ahead of everyone in Nigeria way before there was a Nigeria. We're talking about merchants who controlled the coast and monopolised trades here - savvy and ingenious people who put Lagos on the world map!

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Troop Foils Boko Haram Attack On Military And Civilians (photos) / Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government / IGP Adamu Violates COVID-19 Law Prescribing 6-Month Jail Term - SR

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.