Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,458 members, 7,819,669 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:25 PM

Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? (2520 Views)

A Thread For New Yorubas (or Yorubas Who Dont Know Much About Their Culture) / Please Can Someone From The Tiv Tribe Tell Me About Their Culture And Tradition? / Why Don't The People Of Onelga In Rivers State Sell Land to Igbos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 9:43pm On Jun 12, 2008
What your opinion?

This is what I obverse.

I know culture changes but still.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by naijadiva2(f): 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2008
do you mean black americans or blacks in general?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 9:54pm On Jun 12, 2008
Well I mean in general.

I know this sounds harsh to say but this is what I observe.

Well I could be wrong but this is what I see.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 10:28pm On Jun 12, 2008
You are wrong and probably can't even explain what your observations are based on. I'm sure your principles are shallow.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 10:31pm On Jun 12, 2008
Well that is just what I see.

At least I am being honest.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 10:35pm On Jun 12, 2008
What you see from where and based on what, that's what you should explain. It strikes me that you're one of those who take one or two samples of a whole, and decide to exaggerate the significance.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 10:37pm On Jun 12, 2008
Well please stop being naive and there is some truth to what I say. cool

I know you want to prove me wrong but lets actually observe sometimes.

I want to be wrong but this is what I see.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 10:49pm On Jun 12, 2008
Yes, while I agree that you do need to stop being naive, you still need to recognize that there is no element of truth in what you say. It isn't set in stone. You're still unable to suggest a liveable argument that supports your affirmation.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 10:51pm On Jun 12, 2008
Give me examples why I am wrong then. wink
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by naijadiva2(f): 10:55pm On Jun 12, 2008
well i will have to say that you are wrong. black americans have more culture than whites in the US and African people take their culture seriously. just because u don't see us wearing kente clothes around the kumbaya fire doesn't mean we are not taking our culture serious.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 11:01pm On Jun 12, 2008
Contrary to the question you have asked, merge, why don't you give me examples of why you're right? You wanted to make a point but you still haven't. All you stated is that you "see" and you "observe", whereas there's a possiblity that you could be suffering from eye delusions.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 11:03pm On Jun 12, 2008
Well that is what I see.

I don't care if you say I am wrong.

I am not talking about having more culture.

I mean taking the culture serious.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by naijadiva2(f): 11:04pm On Jun 12, 2008
MyTempID:

Contrary to the question you have asked, merge, why don't you give me examples of why you're right? You wanted to make a point but you still haven't. All you stated is that you "see" and you "observe", whereas there's a possiblity that you could be suffering from eye delusions.

yea i want to know too.

@merge

if you attend african gathering's (wedding, baby showers, parties) you will see what "real" culture is all about.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by naijadiva2(f): 11:05pm On Jun 12, 2008
merge:

Well that is what I see.

I don't care if you say I am wrong.

I am not talking about having more culture.

I mean taking the culture serious.

give us an example and maybe we can explain, just saying you are right doesn't mean a thing.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 11:07pm On Jun 12, 2008
For example

Why are most or a lot of Igbo Roman Catholic?

I know many are also Christian.

Why is there not an authentic Igbo religion?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by HRhotness(f): 11:07pm On Jun 12, 2008
@ merge

u r making a nasty habit of mouthing off based on sensless generalisations
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by naijadiva2(f): 11:11pm On Jun 12, 2008
merge:

For example

Why are most or a lot of Igbo Roman Catholic?

I know many are also Christian.

Why don't we have an Igbo religion?

that's not an important factor, i need something more than that?

@merge

are you nigerian?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 11:13pm On Jun 12, 2008
merge, please stop trolling.  I'm beginning to question your maturity and age.
It appears you're simply an ignorant hobo.  Through it all you have chosen to turn a blind eye to supporting your claim.  Yet, here you are a promoting an unhealthy prevarication about the lack of cultural responsibility in Nigerians.  Amidst your nasty claim you have suddenly decided that you are right and won't listen to what others have to say.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 11:13pm On Jun 12, 2008
naija_diva:

that's not an important factor, i need something more than that?

@merge

are you nigerian?

That is important.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by naijadiva2(f): 11:15pm On Jun 12, 2008
so based on religion, you've came to the conclusion that we are not serious about our culture?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 11:15pm On Jun 12, 2008
merge:

That is important.
How and why is it important?  It is not important just because you "think" it is.  That reasoning will not suffice.
Moreover, why the stupid fixation on igbos?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by HRhotness(f): 11:16pm On Jun 12, 2008
Ignorance truely is a disease
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2008
merge.  At this juncture, you have stopped making sense.  What role will the needless existence of an "igbo" religion play in improving the cultural sensitivity of blacks? - Not that there's a need for one anyways.

What would comprise this igbo religion?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 11:17pm On Jun 12, 2008
There is more though.

I am far from ignorant but hey that is my opinion smiley

Well if you want to call me ignorant than go right ahead !!!
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by naijadiva2(f): 11:21pm On Jun 12, 2008
merge:

There is more though.

I am far from ignorant but hey that is my opinion smiley

Well if you want to call me ignorant than go right ahead !!!

u keep claiming there's more but yet i haven't seen them. what's an argument/discussion without examples?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by MyTempID: 11:24pm On Jun 12, 2008
She's just a confused person. Merge. How did we go from an argument that blacks are insensitive to their culture, to an argument centered on the need for an igbo religion. Of what benefit is this, and how does it hold merit to your beginning claim?
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by 4Him1(m): 11:27pm On Jun 12, 2008
Merge cant be more than 12 yrs old.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by HRhotness(f): 11:35pm On Jun 12, 2008
4 Him:

Merge can't be more than 12 years old.

I'm beginning to believe so myself
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 11:38pm On Jun 12, 2008
another example

The presentation of our culture is usually cheap and look like not that much time has been put into it.

When there is a cultural event?

Compare the Puerto Day Parade to the Nigerian Day Parade.

I have nothing against Blacks but this is my opinion.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by HRhotness(f): 11:39pm On Jun 12, 2008
That is a baseless and daft point
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by merge(f): 11:43pm On Jun 12, 2008
The way you present a culture shows the respect you have for it.

I not against blacks but this is just my opinion.
Re: Why Don't Blacks Take Their Culture Serious? by 4Him1(m): 11:45pm On Jun 12, 2008
merge:

another example

The presentation of our culture is usually cheap and look like not that much time has been put into it.

When there is a cultural event?

Compare the Puerto Day Parade to the Nigerian Day Parade.

I have nothing against Blacks but this is my opinion.

Puerto Rico is a part of the US (not a state) and they've had a presence here for donkey yrs much longer than Nigerians. Are you expecting the Americans to celebrate Nigeria day for you?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pictures From Oru-owerri Festival / Real Picture And Short Story Of The Woman Behind Twenty Naira Note-ladi Kwali / Investing In The Nigerian Art Market: A Smart Move?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.