Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,514 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction (15577 Views)

I Regret Not Having A Yoruba As Speaker. Jonathan / Mimiko Absent As South-west Governors Converge In Ibadan / Open Advice To South West Governors On Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by bigass(f): 9:08pm On Aug 30, 2013
talktimi: Just when people were busy laughing at the education system in the SE for teaching in igbo... Smh, lets just hear what the ministry of education has to say about this first since english is still our official language. My own opinion is the mother tongue should be left to parents to teach.

your are pathetic, travel to southern Africa and India you will no that we are lost souls when it comes to lnguage

2 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by bigass(f): 9:11pm On Aug 30, 2013
our main problem are the British who amalgamated us. imagine igbo or Yoruba are alone in their country that is, monolingual! English will just be part of the official languages South Africa Has7 or 9 official languages
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by jaxy(m): 9:13pm On Aug 30, 2013
Were is dat djdola...let him come and tell us how 2 surf maths in is dear language
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by IYANGBALI: 9:24pm On Aug 30, 2013
asha 80: ok...would like to see how they would use yoruba to teach mathmatics...it might be possible.
bi a ba mu eji ta fi kun eji o je erin. Bi a ba yo ogun kuro ninu ogorun yio ku ogorin. E pa atewo fun tisa tekanle

11 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by basty: 9:31pm On Aug 30, 2013
asha 80: ok...would like to see how they would use yoruba to teach mathmatics...it might be possible.

Idiot, what is your concert?
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 9:32pm On Aug 30, 2013
Senator James:
kudos to you....... Try these:
1. Calculus
2. Exponential
3. Logarithm
4. Surd
5. Indices
6. Latitude and Longitude
(#200 recharge card).

@topic. Its a very good initiative, but they must involve all categories of citizen to be a success; Traditional council, Religion leaders, student bodies, Legal practitioners, teachers, NGO.

Please must we tribalize everything? I reason with Ngwakwe about exempting Lagos. Its because of the heterogenous nature of the residents which has been aiding the development of Lagos state. On the other hand, if Lagos is exempted, it will look as if we Yoruba had sold our inherittance. If implemented, other tribe will have no choice than to dance to the tone of the music.

God bless Yorubaland, God bless Nigeria

Look at all the developed and industrialized nations, they teach and study in their local languages. Forcing students to first learn English and many subs like English literature, you are in effect laying learning roadblocks and barriers.

The only challenge I see here is the fact that we have more than one Language to deal with.. but *wink*wink* this is all about DAWN.

Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola SAN (2nd left), his Ekiti, Oyo, Osun and Ogun State counterparts, Dr. Kayode Fayemi (3rd left), Senator Abiola Ajimobi (right), Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola (2nd right), Senator Ibikunle Amosun (3rd right) and the Director General, Development Agenda for Western Nigeria Commission, Mr. Dipo Famakinwa during a meeting for the Development Agenda on Western Nigeria Commission, at Cocoa House, Ibadan on Wednesday, July 24, 2013.

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Afam4eva(m): 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2013
I think it's commendable only if they will designate specific schools for it or better still, make it a matter of choice.

2 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by talktimi(m): 9:35pm On Aug 30, 2013
bigass:

your are pathetic, travel to southern Africa and India you will no that we are lost souls when it comes to lnguage
youre obviously the pathetic soul here. If you decided to reason a bit, you would realize that i made valid legal points. If you have your own opinion to counter mine or any other here then state it. Without writing an epistle here its clear from my post that the moment we made english our official language in this country, such efforts by our amiable governors will meet constitutional brick walls except the SW has secceded from Nigeria without my notice. Like i said, lets hear what the ministry of education has to say about this first.

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by oneglobe: 9:38pm On Aug 30, 2013
Very nice development from the yoruba nation. I hope they didnt involve Lagos as part of this primitive move. It doesn't have to anyway.

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 9:39pm On Aug 30, 2013
talktimi: lets hear what the ministry of education has to say about this first.

Who are they and of what relevance is this to the topic?
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Noneroone(m): 9:40pm On Aug 30, 2013
It is no doubt a good development but they should make it a matter of choice especially in Lagos.
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 9:41pm On Aug 30, 2013
Noneroone: It is no doubt a good development but they should make it a matter of choice especially in Lagos.

Defeats the purpose..

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Tstark(m): 9:45pm On Aug 30, 2013
This is NOT a good idea, yoruba people barely know how to speak English as it is, not this will only make it harder for them

5 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Songitto(m): 9:50pm On Aug 30, 2013
Very possible
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by jmoore(m): 9:50pm On Aug 30, 2013
eye4eye: If introduction of Yoruba Language as sole teaching language drives out Ibos out of our schools and SW in general, then I am all for it.

what type of hatred is this? Keep dreaming.

2 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by DJDOLA(m): 9:53pm On Aug 30, 2013
jaxy: Were is dat djdola...let him come and tell us how 2 surf maths in is dear language
am here sir....yes u can surf mathematics in yoruba...ki agbado to de aye nkan kan ni adiye je....before oyinbo people came 2 nigeria...our grandparent have been surfing maths in yoruba EXAMPLE
1:okan
2:eji
3:eta
4:erin
5:arun
6:efa
7:eje
8:ejo
9:esan
10:ewa
Even days as its own word in yoruba EXAMPLE
Monday:aje
Tuesday:isegun
Wed:ojoru
Thursday:ojobo
Friday:eti
Saturday:abameta
Sunday:aiku

2 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Oildichotomy(m): 9:54pm On Aug 30, 2013
Then the typical Yoruba enclaves like Ibadan, Ogbomoso etc are doomed as it relates English language fluency.
They're having it so bad already as it is
Honest advice: They should know when to draw the line before the proper 'murdering' of our lingua franca please

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by SPEED5: 9:56pm On Aug 30, 2013
This idea cannot be. Nigeria is a nation entity, south west is not exclusive to the yorubas, it is part of Nigeria. The national assembly has to approve such first.

NB: what is all this Lagos belongs to the yorubas? Who ever has bought a land in Lagos owns that part of lagos. One nigeria peace

2 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by talktimi(m): 9:57pm On Aug 30, 2013
agbameta:

Who are they and of what relevance is this to the topic?

you honestly didnt ask this question, even if you did i will pretend you didnt...
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by spade: 9:57pm On Aug 30, 2013
asha 80: what is algebraic equation in yoruba?or h.c.f in yoruba?

Uh-oh! grin

But I think the bridge will be crossed when they get there.
Remember, those terms you mentioned do not exist in the Yoruba language, because there hasn't been a need for them.
But now that the subjects are going to be taught in Yoruba, the appropriate words will be formulated by fire by force, leading to even more development of the language.

Clothes were invented because the weather was too cold. If not, we'd all still be nood today.

Weapons were first invented to protect from harmful animals. If noy, we no for get am.

So, with the new development, the appropriate words will be created, because there'll be a new demand for them.
Phew!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 30, 2013
Ngwakwe: It's a good initiative and very commendable.
Notwithstanding, they should leave Lagos out of their Western Nigeria Protectorate or Regional integration.
Too late bro.
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Noneroone(m): 10:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
agbameta:

Defeats the purpose..
by making it a matter of choice i mean making it compulsory for indigenes of Lagos state only .
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by datola: 10:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
This is laudable and doable as it's been proved through a research conducted by education faculty of OAU, Ife years back.

Some pupils were thought in Yoruba language while another set were instructed in all subjects in English language. At the end of the study, the ones thought all subjects including science in Yoruba performed better.

This is on record and can be verified. I have a friend who passed through the Yoruba school experiment then and is today a medical doctor in the U.S.

Meanwhile:

"La a la to ro ke, ile lo n bo- Law of gravity!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by taharqa: 10:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
bloggernaija:
Aadoota , merindinlogun,aadorin..
N be oyinbo teach us mathematics. We don dey do arithmetic before oyinbo reach here.
It is possible

Read

PROJECT THREE: THE YORUBA NUMBER SYSTEM
The Yoruba people currently number over 15 million. According to their legends, they came from the East, to settle in what is now Nigeria, Togo, and the Republic of Benin (Dahomey). Many historians believe that the Yoruba migrated to their present home from Upper Egypt, between 600 and 1000 A.D. They are city-dwellers. Their ancient cities of Ife and Oyo were founded between 800 and 1000 A.D.

The Yoruba have always had a monarch, whom they believe to be descended from their gods. However, the Yoruba government and social structure is not dictatorial. Responsibilities are shared. Although recognition and respect for rank is evident, there is also the possibility of moving up in rank through hard work. In fact, the Yoruba describe their culture as "a river that is never at rest".

The Yoruba were great traders. The city of Oyo, founded by a group of traders, was positioned to control trade routes all the way to the coast. They traded gold, slaves, and cocoa.

THE YORUBA NUMBER SYSTEM

In her book, Africa Counts, Claudia Zaslavsky describes the Yoruba number system as a complex system based on 20 (vigesimal) that uses subtraction to express numbers. For example,

35 = (2 x 20) - 5; 47 = (3 x 20) - 10 - 3; 51 = (3 x 20) - 10 + 1;

55 = (3 x 20) - 5; 67 = (4 x 20) - 10 - 3; 73 = (4 x 20) - 10 + 3;

86 = (5 x 20) - 10 - 4; 117 = (6 x 20) - 3

According to the Yoruba system, the numbers from 1 to 10 have unique names. The numbers 11, 12, 13, and 14 are written additively (i.e., 11 = 10 + 1, 12 = 10 + 2, 13 = 10 + 3, 14 = 10 + 4). But the numbers from 15 through 19 are written using subtraction from 20. The numbers 21, 22, 23, and 24 are also written additively. The numbers 25 -29 are written as subtractions from 30. Each number after 30 is written as a multiple of 20 plus or minus tens and units. This pattern is repeated for numbers up to 200. After 200, the system becomes irregular. The number 20 and its multiples are considered special to the Yoruba. Here are some of their Yoruba names.

20 = ogun; 40 = ogun meji; 200 = igba; 400 = irinwo.

Although this number system seems very difficult and abstract to westerners, it is perfectly natural to the Yoruba and is still used today.

YORUBA CURRENCY

Until recently, cowrie shells were the basic unit of currency in Africa. Cowries were either counted in groups of 5 or pierced and threaded in strings of 40. According to the Yoruba system for counting cowries,

40 cowries = 1 string; 2000 cowries = 1 head or 50 strings;

20,000 cowries = 1 bag or 10 heads.

As part of their trading commerce, the Yoruba had to count huge numbers of cowries. When a cowrie counter had to count thousands of shells, he would empty the bag onto the floor and start counting 20s by making 4 groups of 5 shells each. Then the counter would make 5 groups of 20 to make 100. Then 2 groups of 100 would be pushed together to make the important 200. The subtractive principle developed from counting in this manner. The Yoruba also learned to estimate well when counting large quantities of cowrie shells.

MATHEMATICS ACTIVITIES

Put about 200 counters of uniform size all together on a table or the floor. Some examples of counters are M&Ms, pennies, chips, cookies, lima beans, macaroni, or peanuts. Begin separating the counters as the Yoruba would, into groups of 5, 20, and 100. Using your counters, show each of the following amounts: 25, 46, 72. Explain how the Yoruba system of subtraction developed from counting cowries.
Express each of the following numbers according to the Yoruba number system:
a. 37 b. 62 c. 108

Explain the Yoruba number system in your own words.
Why do you think the system becomes unpredictable for numbers larger than 200. Provide an example with your explanation.
How does the Yoruba system compare to Roman Numerals? What are some similarities and differences?
CONNECTIONS TO CHILDREN'S LITERATURE

Wood-Hoopoe Willie by Virginia Kroll is the story of an African-American family observing Kwanzaa. Their African musical legacy is interwoven into the story.
Very Interesting....

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 10:01pm On Aug 30, 2013
Tstark: This is NOT a good idea, yoruba people barely know how to speak English as it is, not this will only make it harder for them

Not knowing how to speak English is not the start and end of everything. South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore don't speak English and they teach in their local languages, but see where they are today.

10 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 30, 2013
cogitoErgo: I read books such as "eko imo ijinle" when I was in primary school! and it was fun, as I culd relate to many things explained then until they started turning my head in SSS.
Besides, algebra is not even english!
Algebra is Arabic.
IFA contains a lot of application of binary numbers.
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Nobody: 10:03pm On Aug 30, 2013
Many Yoruba graduates are terrible in English (both in their accents and d use of verbs), despite being taught in schools with English language. Can somebody now imagine how it would b in a couple of years time if dis new plan is implemented?
Let's face facts, dis move is anti-Nigerian. How would a child from another region whose parents come to settle down in d southwest for wateva reason, b expected to cope wen enrolled in primary schools in d southwest, in d event of implementation of dis plan? Are we saying dat ppl must b restricted to their regions? Yorubas, think for Nigeria, for once.

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Nobody: 10:07pm On Aug 30, 2013
asha 80: what is algebraic equation in yoruba?or h.c.f in yoruba?

what is h.c.f and algebraic equation in chinese or arab?

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Babanl(m): 10:08pm On Aug 30, 2013
oneglobe: Very nice development from the yoruba nation. I hope they didnt involve Lagos as part of this primitive move. It doesn't have to anyway.
don't let hatred deprive you of common sense
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 10:10pm On Aug 30, 2013
ILIDEFI: Many Yoruba graduates are terrible in English (both in their accents and d use of verbs), despite being taught in schools with English language. Can somebody now imagine how it would b in a couple of years time if dis new plan is implemented?
Let's face facts, dis move is anti-Nigerian. How would a child from another region whose parents come to settle down in d southwest for wateva reason, b expected to cope wen enrolled in primary schools in d southwest, in d event of implementation of dis plan? Are we saying dat ppl must b restricted to their regions? Yorubas, think for Nigeria, for once.

ILIDEFI: I strongly detest Eko Ile and his brother Eko Atlantic. Typical Yoruba bigots they both are. They've never been outside the south west but think they know anytin abt Nigeria.
To start wit, Lagos is not Yoruba land. Lagos was Nigeria's capital city, and today it represents Nigeria as a whole. D beauty of Lagos today is because it wz built by Nigeria, not by Southwesterners, who lack a sense of beauty. Eko Ile and co, how many other SW cities are like Lagos? It's just like northerners coming to boast about Abj cos it's in d north.
Granted dat Onitsha may be dirty cos of the large population of traders and the enormous trading activities going on there, but you guys should visit Enugu and Owerri. Are they in any way less developed than Ibadan and Abeokuta etc? The answer is no.
Go to villages in d East and see development. Men hustle and develop their communities. Fine houses are built, electricity is brought into communities, even roads are tarred by indigenes of various communities, unlike your SW ppl that depend on government to do everything for them.
You guys should change that dirty mindset you have about Igbos, which only portray jealousy. No other tribe in Nigeria wud'v been standing this tall like Igbos, if they faced the civil war, and the ensuing marginalization that Igbos have faced for many decades now. Igbos are still d best in Nigeria, and the transformation you all have been craving for will only come in Nigeria wen an Igbo man ascends the presidency. Mark my words.

At least we know what tribal platform you are operating from so no need to take village jokers like you seriously...

8 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by ninja4life(m): 10:14pm On Aug 30, 2013
ILIDEFI: Many Yoruba graduates are terrible in English (both in their accents and d use of verbs), despite being taught in schools with English language. Can somebody now imagine how it would b in a couple of years time if dis new plan is implemented?
dats why their are private schools so dey can enrol their kids there.simple.nice initiative but if am to be honest with myself i'm pessimistic about d success.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Release Dasuki’s International Passport, Court Orders FG - Vanguard / President Buhari Arrives Mauritania Ahead Of 31 Session Of AU Summit(pics) / Bashir Ahmad Rejects Results Of Albasu/Gaya/Ajingi Federal Constituency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.