Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction (15602 Views)

I Regret Not Having A Yoruba As Speaker. Jonathan / Mimiko Absent As South-west Governors Converge In Ibadan / Open Advice To South West Governors On Housing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Hearme(m): 11:44pm On Aug 30, 2013
I think it might not be a good suggestion as that might worsen the results of students who must pass English to be admitted into higher institutions
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Asoozy: 11:52pm On Aug 30, 2013
boldy235: This would be a practical attempt to divide the country . It may improve the sense of unity amongst the people of the south west and the opposite with other ethnic groups, there by taking us back to the times before 1914 .

Our leaders think they are rational , but the are not.
they make no attempt to unite the country!
Many people ave found love and friendship with people of other ethnic groups , but our leaders take it for granted .

These actions even if they are carried out will come with some unfortunate consequences

Our graduates from the southwest will be poorer in English language
The students may as a resul fell inferior
Hence the private schools in the region will make more money ,

I pray that our leaders would find ways to truly unite this nation !
A united Nigeria would be more powerful than a single regional entity !

Don't worry for us Argentina...

Mind your own bizz wax!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Asoozy: 12:00am On Aug 31, 2013
Hearme: One of my sisters served in Biu in Borno state. She had to learn some Kanuri to communicate to secondary school students. It just might imply that they where taught in Kanuri in primary school. I think it might not be a good suggestion as that might worsen the results of students who must pass English to be admitted into higher institutions

...and who said English is being done away with?

Yoruba first, colonial language second!

Haven't you noticed that a good chunk of Yoruba posters on this forum write Yoruba as eloquently as English? We already speak Yoruba language as our first language, anyway and doing so hasn't made us deficient. Now tell me how using Yoruba as a communication medium in our schools and on our land, would now make us deficient in the English language. If I read correctly, the report never said that English was going to be omitted from the curriculum. It still remains a core subject and at least a credit would still be required to progress on to higher education.

I don't see France or Grrmany complaining about not being able to communicate with Britain all because English isn't their first languages.

2 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by oturugo(m): 12:01am On Aug 31, 2013
eye4eye: If introduction of Yoruba Language as sole teaching language drives out Ibos out of our schools and SW in general, then I am all for it.
Pig, what has this thread got to do with Igbo people. Why does any thing Igbo disturb your sleep.
Fool
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Fitzy4real(m): 12:08am On Aug 31, 2013
A half-baked idea...

Have they considered

1.) The non-yoruba's in public schools or would the language be imposed on them.
2.) How their students will write exams such as common entrance, WAEC, NECO, JAMB etc...
3.) South-westerners in living other geo-political zones of the federation or would they be left behind.

It is a good idea trying to preserve our languages but there are other more important issues facing the South west to be dealt with

2 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 12:12am On Aug 31, 2013
ILIDEFI:

Always lacking in sound reasoning and sound judgement. Dat is typical of u and ur ppl. U r already lost.

I though I told you tribal villager to get lost?

What part of get lost do you not understand?
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 12:14am On Aug 31, 2013
Fitzy4real: A half-baked idea...

Have they considered

1.) The non-yoruba's in public schools or would the language be imposed on them.
2.) How their students will write exams such as common entrance, WAEC, NECO, JAMB etc...
3.) South-westerners in living other geo-political zones of the federation or would they be left behind.

It is a good idea trying to preserve our languages but there are other more important issues facing the South west to be dealt with

Ride on Mr analyzer.

DAWN go do you like film trick..
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by funnyx(m): 12:16am On Aug 31, 2013
Fitzy4real: A half-baked idea...

Have they considered

Ridiculous post! Next time read the article before making a post, it only going to apply to primary school pupils, do these set of students sit for WAEC, NECO & JAMB?
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by oturugo(m): 12:20am On Aug 31, 2013
What an idiotic idea. I don't know why this people are not capable of bringing good ideas.
Anyway, the south west has other languages aside Yoruba. What about Egun speakers found in Lagos and Ogun, how about the Ijaw spoken in ondo state?. Will you now impose Yoruba on them?.
What a senseless idea.
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 12:22am On Aug 31, 2013
WildChild00:

What do u mean?

That your ministry of education is irrelevant to the DAWN agenda and awakening....
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 12:24am On Aug 31, 2013
Asoozy:

Sorry. I meant to quote that eastern bigot in Yoruba masquerade costume who goes by the name 'senator James'

I thought so.. ...especially with the pic I posted showing Fashola and the other SW governors at the DAWN summit..
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by olivertwist: 12:27am On Aug 31, 2013
datola: This is laudable and doable as it's been proved through a research conducted by education faculty of OAU, Ife years back.

Some pupils were thought in Yoruba language while another set were instructed in all subjects in English language. At the end of the study, the ones thought all subjects including science in Yoruba performed better.

This is on record and can be verified. I have a friend who passed through the Yoruba school experiment then and is today a medical doctor in the U.S.

Meanwhile:

"La a la to ro ke, ile lo n bo- Law of gravity!

Thanks a lot. I find it very funny that most people believed that this is impossible. It's very, very possible. Are we saying the English/American medical doctors are better than their Chinese, German,French, Japanese and Russian counterparts just because they speak English? Or is it that, these other countries are inferior to the English just because they use their own medical terms in their own language to teach their students etc. Of course not.

However, as Katsumoto suggested above, it's better for the Yoruba Languange to flow along with English language that already has an international status, as 'language of instruction'. This could take a century to achieve, but the end shall justify the means. This is what countries like Wales and Scotland (that are even part of the United Kingdom) are doing at the moment.

1 Like

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 12:31am On Aug 31, 2013
oturugo: What an idiotic idea. I don't know why this people are not capable of bringing good ideas.
Anyway, the south west has other languages aside Yoruba. What about Egun speakers found in Lagos and Ogun, how about the Ijaw spoken in ondo state?. Will you now impose Yoruba on them?.
What a senseless idea.

oturugo:
Yes ofcourse OTURUGO is Igbo. I have no identity crisis.
]
Only a no brainer will use the war of 1967 to define any ethnic group.
You are a loser just give up because the more you type crap with your teeth the more confused you get. QUIT NOW.

At least we know the village tribal well you drink from hence your anger and bitterness..Ndo grin
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by AdmYamamoto: 12:47am On Aug 31, 2013
mrakin: Mathematics - Eko imo Isiro
Algebra - eko pasiparo
Equation - imudogba alabala meji

Lovely...very commendable! Let us go there people! We need to rise stronger and bigger like the colossus that we are!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by AdmYamamoto: 12:53am On Aug 31, 2013
Senator James:
kudos to you....... Try these:
1. Calculus
2. Exponential
3. Logarithm
4. Surd
5. Indices
6. Latitude and Longitude
(#200 recharge card).

@topic. Its a very good initiative, but they must involve all categories of citizen to be a success; Traditional council, Religion leaders, student bodies, Legal practitioners, teachers, NGO.

Please must we tribalize everything? I reason with Ngwakwe about exempting Lagos. Its because of the heterogenous nature of the residents which has been aiding the development of Lagos state. On the other hand, if Lagos is exempted, it will look as if we Yoruba had sold our inherittance. If implemented, other tribe will have no choice than to dance to the tone of the music.

God bless Yorubaland, God bless Nigeria

Are you out of your mind? If not, KNOW that Yoruba will be taught in every corner of Yorubaland, REGARDLESS of where your father comes from! English, yes, it will be taught too but will NEVER displace or substitute Yoruba. Mathematics and every course will be taught in Yorubaland while English will also be taught! Next thing to add to the agenda is the proliferation of public services, public signs, and encouragement of even private companies to adopt the Yoruba language. If in doubt, check what Quebec (French) has been doing since the 1970s!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by AdmYamamoto: 12:58am On Aug 31, 2013
Afam4eva: I think it's commendable only if they will designate specific schools for it or better still, make it a matter of choice.

You are on your OWN! Read my earlier comments! The Chinese and Japanese have developed their economies so far ahead that they compete on almost the same level as any part of the world, did they need English for that? Look, the Western Yoruba Empire-State-Country is on the move again and we will do what is right for our people, land and future! Our children are smart, very gifted and do not need their lights covered like you oligarchs and extremist fundamentalists have been doing! We will make progress at all costs!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by AdmYamamoto: 1:01am On Aug 31, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
Then the typical Yoruba enclaves like Ibadan, Ogbomoso etc are doomed as it relates English language fluency.
They're having it so bad already as it is
Honest advice: They should know when to draw the line before the proper 'murdering' of our lingua franca please

And how is that your problem? I am sure you are already worried and scared! Hahaha...well, we will MOVE OUR LANGUAGE, FRONT & CENTER! If you don't like it, go back to your village which is what is MOST preferable really. We don't want snakes in our lands!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Oildichotomy(m): 1:02am On Aug 31, 2013
funnyx:

I hate it when people make fallacious statement just to show their disdain for others, you called Ibadan and Ogbomoso enclaves? You're very daft for using that statement. If you think we're having it bad with English language how does that affect your miserable life? Why drink panadol for our headache?
brother you should sha smile... Are we quarelling?
Happy weekend o jaree
ekun gbadun
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Oildichotomy(m): 1:04am On Aug 31, 2013
Adm. Yamamoto:

And how is that your problem? I am sure you are already worried and scared! Hahaha...well, we will MOVE OUR LANGUAGE, FRONT & CENTER! If you don't like it, go back to your village which is what is MOST preferable really. We don't want snakes in our lands!
Baba... What about snakes?
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by AdmYamamoto: 1:05am On Aug 31, 2013
ILIDEFI: Many Yoruba graduates are terrible in English (both in their accents and d use of verbs), despite being taught in schools with English language. Can somebody now imagine how it would b in a couple of years time if dis new plan is implemented?
Let's face facts, dis move is anti-Nigerian. How would a child from another region whose parents come to settle down in d southwest for wateva reason, b expected to cope wen enrolled in primary schools in d southwest, in d event of implementation of dis plan? Are we saying dat ppl must b restricted to their regions? Yorubas, think for Nigeria, for once.

You are on your own! You better start packing your bags and moving now if you are one of the bottom suckers who can't cope or learn advanced concepts and languages! Your ways of life have gradually slowed us down, making even our Einsteins so dull these days, the best they can do is to come up with struggling A2, A3 and C4. We were straight A1* students before your feudal hegemony ruined our progress, even way before the days of our legendary leader, Chief Obafemi Awolowo!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by AdmYamamoto: 1:08am On Aug 31, 2013
Oildichotomy^:
Baba... What about snakes?

Stop pretending! The reptilian creatures who like to act as friends (fair weather friends that is) when they are serpentine dangers is what I am talking about. You and your type of hegemonists, feudalistic and insecure seccessionists is what I am talking about - SNAKES! Oh just pack your bags already, we the Yorubas will advance by all means!
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by MetaPhysical: 1:46am On Aug 31, 2013
This directive is coming from the governments of Yorubaland. Who is there in this country that can overrule their resolve? If they say Lagos will be included, then its done LAGOS WILL BE INCLUDED, even Gej cannot overturn it.
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 1:58am On Aug 31, 2013
MetaPhysical: This directive is coming from the governments of Yorubaland. Who is there in this country that can overrule their resolve? If they say Lagos will be included, then its done LAGOS WILL BE INCLUDED, even Gej cannot overturn it.

Fashola hosted the 2012 summit in Lagos..

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 2:01am On Aug 31, 2013
talktimi: you honestly didnt ask this question, even if you did i will pretend you didnt...

I was expecting an answer, not you playing dumb.
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by Nobody: 2:20am On Aug 31, 2013
I am beginning to see a pattern on Nairaland.
some non- yorubas who always advocate for a separate country do not like the idea of SW integration . isn't that what they should be doing themselves?
Teaching and setting exams in Yoruba will be the best thing to ever happen to SW education. here are some thoughts.

* It would be easier for students to learn faster, because it is their mother tongue (Learning English as a core subject in school and learning other subjects in English at the same time doesn't help some students)
* Most countries teach in their native language
* It will develop the language as it will give room for new words
* Yoruba literature would be more fun to read
* Germans,French,Spanish etc speak English with an accent so what is the big deal if i speak English with a Yoruba accent ??
* If a Chinese scientist win a nobel prize and gives a speech in Chinese will you call him an illiterate??

To those of you saying this is a bad idea. You should know that to speak English doesn't mean you are literate.

And to the non- yorubas condemning the idea, and clamoring for their own country at the same time.. This is what you need to copy. Start integrating you states as a single and working entity with the same vision . Its the fastest way to get a SNC for the nation anyway

Long Live Nigeria!!
Long live Yorubaland!!

11 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by olas24u(f): 2:25am On Aug 31, 2013
Ngwakwe: It's a good initiative and very commendable.
Notwithstanding, they should leave Lagos out of their Western Nigeria Protectorate or Regional integration.

You people always try to dominate people in their domain.what do you mean by this statement,can you tolerate this type of thing in your own ancestral land.This is unacceptable and getting dangerous

4 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by XereX: 3:16am On Aug 31, 2013
SPEED5: This idea cannot be. Nigeria is a nation entity, south west is not exclusive to the yorubas, it is part of Nigeria. The national assembly has to approve such first.

NB: what is all this Lagos belongs to the yorubas? Who ever has bought a land in Lagos owns that part of lagos. One nigeria peace

Goto Kano and stop them from praying on Friday or speaking Hausa in the mosque because you bought a useless piece of land. what an ape you are.

8 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by XereX: 3:17am On Aug 31, 2013
olas24u:

You people always try to dominate people in their domain.what do you mean by this statement,can you tolerate this type of thing in your own ancestral land.This is unacceptable and getting dangerous

Don't mind the cow.
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by XereX: 3:22am On Aug 31, 2013
[size=28pt]Funny, every other ethnic groups are happy with this development as evident on this thread except the ibos.[/size]

10 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 3:26am On Aug 31, 2013
^^^^^^^^ While ibo language is facing total extinction..

13 Likes

Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by biomedixexcel(m): 4:15am On Aug 31, 2013
Somebody should remind these southwest governors that they only have limited time as they will be shown an exit doors come 2014 and 2015
Re: S-west Governors Consider Yoruba As Language Of Instruction by agbameta: 4:17am On Aug 31, 2013
biomedixexcel: Somebody should remind these southwest governors that they only have limited time as they will be shown an exit doors come 2014 and 2015

I just did, but den say fcukkk you...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

EFCC To Go After Corrupt Governors, Ministers After May 29 / Traders, Shop Owners In Desa Ibeju Lekki Evicted By Lagos State Government / Apprehension Grips Aviation, Transport Workers Over Merger Of Ministries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.