Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,357 members, 7,864,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 11:53 PM

Will Chelsea Fans Give Eto’o The ‘benitez Treatment’ After His Rant? - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Will Chelsea Fans Give Eto’o The ‘benitez Treatment’ After His Rant? (539 Views)

Predict This Season's Champion League Winner. Will Chelsea Retain It Or.. Choose / Will Chelsea Revert Back To D Diamond Formation To Accommodate Torres? / Will Chelsea Win the 2005 UEFA Champions League? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Will Chelsea Fans Give Eto’o The ‘benitez Treatment’ After His Rant? by Nobody: 1:39am On Aug 31, 2013
Football fans supposedly have short memories - or is it long memories, we can't quite remember?
Well, anyway, ED wonders if Chelsea supporters will welcome their new striker with jeers for something he said in the past about the club.
After all, former interim boss Rafael Benitez was vilified upon arrival for comments he had made years back.
The Spaniard, who led the Blues to Europa League glory last year, famously said six years ago: "Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team.
"But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only club in England, and that’s Liverpool."
And in 2007, before one of many epic European clashes between Liverpool and Chelsea, Benitez made a comment that infuriated the Blues fans.

"We don’t need to give away flags for our fans to wave – our supporters are always there with their hearts, and that is all we need. It’s the passion of the fans that helps to win matches – not flags."
Benitez, of course, went on to join Chelsea as a temporary manager and enjoyed a fair degree of success given the circumstances.
So then to new Chelsea signing, former Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o.
The Cameroon star caused a furore of his own when he made disparaging remarks about Chelsea ahead of a big Champions League clash while at the Catalan giants.
"I'd rather sell groundnuts in my village than to play for a pathetic team like Chelsea," Eto'o famously said.
After moving to Stamford Bridge from Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, Eto'o said: "It wasn't a hard decision. I saw the qualities Chelsea have, and I was very happy with Jose Mourinho before, so when the opportunity came, I was very happy to take it.
"I am very happy to be here," he added.
So, is it time for Chelsea supporters to forgive and forget what has gone before and embrace Eto'o, or do they still have reason to dislike their new signing?

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/chelsea-fans-eto-o-benitez-treatment-rant-104936766.html

(1) (Reply)

Malaga Vs Barcelona 8:00pm / Re: Manchester Vs Chelsea / Barcelona President Meets Cesc Fabregas To Discuss The Skipper's Potential Return To Camp Nou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.