Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,491 members, 7,819,787 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? (12463 Views)

Some Churches Carry-out Pregnancy Test Before Wedding: Why? / Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. / Why Are Nigerian Churches So Greedy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Sep 01, 2013
I am waiting for an ipo from them churches.... Then i know we are in business...
Abeg let them compete well. I will be buying share from the best firm church
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by elohorayodele: 1:29pm On Sep 01, 2013
RedBenson: My Aunty worships in one of the pentecostal churches and as i am typing this now, she is making frantic efforts to dismember herself from the church as soon as possible. I mean this church (name withheld) is so competitive in everything/occassion they may have.

If it's annual women conference which usually takes three days, they must put on three different fabrics (each for 1day) with special designs bearing the church name and which must not be repeated in the coming year.

The coming year will have it own out-fits freshly. As above, same happens to other occasions they may have and one begins to wonder why there's so much competition on out-fits etc in the church! Do they think everyone has money to carry himself/herself along with the out-fits trend? Even if one has it, wont it be better to channel the fund to other fruitful areas that need it most?

I just wish she leaves the church asap. Pls is it good cos one would definitely feel 'the poorest' if he/she cannot afford the current trend as others?

Its a season of PASTORPRENEURS, wat else do u xpect from a country wit a dwindling economy, high unemployment rate, deep rooted corruption n den a society dats 2-faced(steal durin d wk, go to chuch on sunday n pray 4 a beta nig). Fastest growin sector in nigeria is d religious one. Factories r closin down n Churches r buyin up dier premises n warehouses for worship centres or packini space. NAIJA
(my chuch is vry simple n nt lik dat)
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by snappers: 1:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
And somebody is telling me that because we pray a lot our country will one day change.Forget it. No wonder majority of the populace are extremely poor.

lt seems to me that the leaders of our churches knows how to manipulate people but cannot find the brain in computing together what needs to be done in terms of building good roads and services to the people .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by skydeep(f): 1:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
Lol
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Richy4(m): 1:37pm On Sep 01, 2013
It is 21st century thing my dear not competition. I remembered growing up as a kid, I used to attend sunday school in my local church. where our teacher will call a bible verse, and the first person that opened and read that verse is the winner.
where i worship now, before the preacher even call the bible passage, teenagers with tbeir Ipad,tablet,iphone don begin punch here and there. it is the world we are into now.just tell your relative to attend church where 21st century has not done much havoc. where she can be comfortable with the word of God
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by ifebosco: 1:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
i have to open my own church in nigeria,there is alot of mugos in nigeria,.nigerians are suffering from delusions of grandeur

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by playahP(m): 1:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nolongthing1:

Joneses ...lol that's from Relative Income Hypothesis , One the few Consumption Theories, which sch did you study Economics As i'm also an Economics Major.

Olodo......
Relative income hypothesis by james duesenberry only applies to people within same income bracket.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Vladm(m): 1:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
K.
End time tinz
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by obyrich(m): 2:08pm On Sep 01, 2013
These were exactly the reasons the founders of these pentecostal churches gave when they left the orthodox churches. Lucifer will always disguise as an angel of light!
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by bobokelly(m): 2:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
That is the sign of end time, cos people do no longer worship God in faith and spirit, but rather worship their General Overseers and lively materials.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Orikinla(m): 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2013
Because they don't know God.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by naijathings(m): 2:55pm On Sep 01, 2013
Una nova see anything.
Chinese and Lebanese go soon come dey open church for naija.
Just wait and see.
christians.. watch and pray.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by MAYOWAAK: 3:16pm On Sep 01, 2013
UberFacts (@UberFacts):Ecclesiophobia is the fear of going to church.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Sep 01, 2013
obyrich: These were exactly the reasons the founders of these pentecostal churches gave when they left the orthodox churches. Lucifer will always disguise as an angel of light!

The truth is that most of these thier members are so brain-washed such that they no longer reason with thier normal senses again. Once the founder says do this, you see them rushing to do it. It's very pathetic!
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by dfav: 4:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
Are u not sure that is the latest money making machine in naija cod a friend just told me about a pastor that sold his church to another for about 32million. .. Just thinking
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Solowande(m): 4:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
guy na decamp get am na. i dey think of decampin to deeper life or mayb mountain of fire ministries
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Goldenboy007(m): 4:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
@OP, there is no perfect church, it's like trying to find a perfect spouse. It depends on your aunt's reasons for going to church; did she go to church to look at people and join fashion stars or worship God and hear His words. If the pastor is real (Non-COZA type, lol), teaches the words of God and they have a wonderful praise session then why leave?
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by abu0710102013: 6:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
I just dey observe

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by luluosas(m): 6:48pm On Sep 01, 2013
kentochi: Wow! Am suprise to see this, don't no that churches is now home for business of various kind.
My brother, e don tay wey churches turn to business centres especially here in Nigeria and Africa. Visit any church today, you will never hear preaching on repentance, salvation, holiness, probity, and others. Instead, all you hear give, give, and give. Why wouldn't it become business ventures? God help us.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by EmmanuellaAop: 6:52pm On Sep 01, 2013
hummm......D church has entad d world nd d world has entered d church already.....mst pastorz r concerned abt tithes nd offerings nd nat salvation....
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Bestlyf: 7:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
The church is now fashion for show and no longer passion for souls. Sometimes I wonder if the church still have the consciousness of eternity. With all these parade of trying to outdo the next man, the church has lose her original focus of making disciples. Instead of a place for perfecting the saints, she has become a place where men are elevated as God and the craze for mundane things emphasized and perfected.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by psalmdave(m): 8:00pm On Sep 01, 2013
weda she leaves or nt...d most important tin is wat she has at heart,is she really out to serve God?dats d ultimate question
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by bizfirst: 8:08pm On Sep 01, 2013
the church of today is unarguably a LTD company with the sole intent of maximizing profit...the earlier we all know this, the better for us all.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by SwTonia(f): 9:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
Allow people to wear what they have to church. Today theY WIL ask u to wear grey nd lemon,,nextweek sunday sky blue nd army green next upper week sew new ankara.what if they don't have them nd can't afford the money to buy them....that why some people will never join the choir even if they have the voice to sing
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by obyrich(m): 9:15pm On Sep 01, 2013
Goldenboy007: @OP, there is no perfect church, it's like trying to find a perfect spouse. It depends on your aunt's reasons for going to church; did she go to church to look at people and join fashion stars or worship God and hear His words. If the pastor is real (Non-COZA type, lol), teaches the words of God and they have a wonderful praise session then why leave?
The church should be a place of worship of the sovereign God of the universe. A God who abhors iniquity. A perfect God. It can also refer to the gathering of the Children of God. The presence of God in their midst should make the church perfect. Please what you call church in Nigeria and many parts of the world today is nothing short of a religious amphitheatre.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by obyrich(m): 9:26pm On Sep 01, 2013
SwTonia: Allow people to wear what they have to church. Today theY WIL ask u to wear grey nd lemon,,nextweek sunday sky blue nd army green next upper week sew new ankara.what if they don't have them nd can't afford the money to buy them....that why some people will never join the choir even if they have the voice to sing
so church has become school? Na wa o.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by Babyremmy(f): 10:23pm On Sep 01, 2013
Most churches today have missed it completely. shifting their focus from christ nd the gospel of salvation to fleshly things. Let ur aunty leave and find a church that is spiritually minded.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by judedwriter(m): 10:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
Frosti: Most churches these days are just glorified business centers set up to dupe and defraud unwary and fear-stricken members of their congregation.

God is watching all of those prosperity pastors cruising around in jets and what-nots in 3D.
well whether we like it or not, d church is going to b ( has it already?) D RICHEST BODY on earth for d sake of the gospel. How pastors handle dis money meant for global evangelisim is hwever a source of concern sad many churches now boast of their wealth-its sad because the church is meant to be a spiritual hospital not a business company...END TYME TINZZZZ
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by ruffhandu: 5:21am On Sep 02, 2013
@ Op,
I wonder why you won't mention the church, you're covering them right, or it doesn't exist?

I dress the way I like to church and sometimes am told "your dressing is too simple", but, am not there to compare with others, it's only God I came to serve.
Self esteem has a lot to do here.

Have they one day turned your relative back because she didn't buy the clothe? If no, then she should learn to live within or below her means and tell people that's the right way to live. She may be the one struggling to be like them.

People who would always want to be like others end up living above their means and we all know where that leads them.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by udokpuenyi(m): 8:04am On Sep 02, 2013
I rarely go to church again but I worship God everyday of my life
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by chizzy012(m): 8:47am On Sep 02, 2013
Some Dudes say they are surprised at this as if it's not seen/obtainable in other churches even theirs as well

It's good to appear Neat & Smart while going to church but let it not be a priority knowing fully well our intentions of attending to Church.

This so called "modernization" is getting things out of hand,one wonders whether d church assembly is a place of worship or business!!!

Let's make GOD first b4 other things.

Advice to everyone,Respect @op.
Re: Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? by veave(f): 9:06am On Sep 02, 2013
some churches presently, during audition for choir, they ask you what you do for a living and w@ your monthly income is... if you dont have a job? sorry no choir for you... because you wunt bbe able to afford all their numerous uniforms...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's Wrong With Sitting At The Back During A Church Service / Evolution And The Seagull Dance. / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.