Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,084 members, 7,821,738 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 (24539 Views)

Are Nigerians Criminals? Statistics Of Nigerian Prisoners In Britain. - Pic / INEC Releases Statistics Of PVC Collected In All 36 States And FCT / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 10:24am On Sep 02, 2013
berem: Truly it is educative only if bigots will not derail the thread with their ethnic crap.

Waiting for naptu2 to give me more historical stories of Lagos. cool
Tell that to your deluded ibo brothers:
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 10:26am On Sep 02, 2013
kayci_d77: Yorubas, always digging out stewpid and unprofitable history.... developing world are talking about "invention" histories not population history or origin histories... what has America got to do with the population of british immigrants in today's world. SMH
These guys are so insecured but would you blame them given the loss of ILLORIN to fulani jihadists and now EKO-ILE their LAGOS has gone to us.

6 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 10:26am On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: So what is the relevance of this thread? Is it a rejoinder put out by our insecured civilised Yoruba slaves that Lagos actually belongs to them (of which the reality on ground says otherwise)? I get am before before no be property my yoruba people.
Here comes one of them.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by TonySpike: 10:27am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

Nah, the Ijebu's had the eastern parts of the coast on lock in Epe. We brought all types of ammunition in and monopolised the market. grin I think the Egba's controlled the western part.

My bad! I meant to mention Ijebus...
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by TonySpike: 10:30am On Sep 02, 2013
REMMEI: Really gbadun-ing this..can anyone shed a lil light about the kiriji war?..ijaye and the so called kurunmi..

For more information on the Kiriji wars, please visit this thread https://www.nairaland.com/864525/yoruba-kiriji-wars-1876-1893
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by DoffMan2: 10:31am On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: Here comes one of them.

No sir, you are one of them. You came into the thread with insults blazing and spoiling for a fight!

3 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 10:33am On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: Here comes one of them.
Stop crying.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 02, 2013
Tony Spike:

My bad! I meant to mention Ijebus...

It's cool, bruv.

I'm actually reading an interesting link here. Apparently, the Ekiti's settled in the Ido area since like the 14th century or there about. And the Onikoyi is actually from Oyo. Also the Olumegbon is originally from Ajah, which is an Ijebu enclave. So it seems the Idejo Chiefs aren't predominantly Awori's. I know there are definitely Egba Chiefs among them.

So Lagos has evidently always been a melting point for all Yoruba's.

I'll post the link in a bit.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 10:36am On Sep 02, 2013
kayci_d77: Yorubas, always digging out stewpid and unprofitable history.... developing world are talking about "invention" histories not population history or origin histories... what has America got to do with the population of british immigrants in today's world. SMH
i would also get mad if people with a well detailed history shove it in my face,Since ibo people dont have anywinkwinkwink

7 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by DoffMan2: 10:37am On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: These guys are so insecured but would you blame them given the loss of ILLORIN to fulani jihadists and now EKO-ILE their LAGOS has gone to us.

I don't get you. Lagos is Yoruba land. With development comes immigration, but everyone knows who the earliest settlers were.

3 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 10:38am On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: Stop crying.
What type of human beings love another man's land more than theirs:/:/

4 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 02, 2013
No, the Ijebus were the middlemen, dealing mostly in clothing materials, arms, European products and of course slaves.

The state rose in power in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries mainly due to its important position on the trade routes between Lagos and Ibadan. The kingdom imposed sharp limits on trade insisting that all trade through the region be conducted by Ijebu merchants.
The monopoly brought great wealth to the kingdom, but also annoyed Europeans.

Despite its wealth the kingdom fell into internal conflict in the late nineteenth century. The kingdom never had a strong military and had long been forced to rely on mercenaries. These foreigners further destabilized the nation.

In 1892 the British attacked Ijebu in response to its barriers on trade. The British were successful and occupied the capital, burning the meeting hall of the Osugbo. The British army employed Maxim guns ,
according to the soldier-adventurer Frederick Lugard . In defending himself against charges of excessive death rates in Uganda from his own use of the gun, he stated: "On the West Coast, in the 'Jebu' war, undertaken by Government, I have been told 'several thousands' were
mowed down by the Maxim."
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ijebu_Kingdom

The ijebus have always been elites and thus weren't so impressed with British whence they came. They refused to allow the missionaries through the town calling it an abomination, they also ordered the egbas not to harbour them.

The egbas couldn't muster the level of ijebu courage and hence were shoved aside. The Awujale then ordered the alake to bring the mud house where the British were received on His head. This stunt didn't happen because war broke out later and the ijebus, though gallant in battle, lost to the superior fire power of her Majesty's army.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by alfajohn: 10:41am On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: So what is the relevance of this thread? Is it a rejoinder put out by our insecured civilised Yoruba slaves that Lagos actually belongs to them (of which the reality on ground says otherwise)? I get am before before no be property my yoruba people.
When Nigeria breaks it is not if i repeat when it does break methinks Lagos will be capital city of Biafra republic. We know ur type I Before Others (IBO) always trying to grab what is not theirs. Why have u people never once ask urselves why ur are not yet President of Nigeria and why u will never be. A word is enough for the wise.

6 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by TonySpike: 10:44am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

It's cool, bruv.

I'm actually reading an interesting link here. Apparently, the Ekiti's settled in the Ido area since like the 14th century or there about. And the Onikoyi is actually from Oyo. Also the Olumegbon is originally from Ajah, which is an Ijebu enclave. So it seems the Idejo Chiefs aren't predominantly Awori's. I know there are definitely Egba Chiefs among them.

Iddo is apparently the name of a town in Ekiti, Ikoyi-Ile is apparently a town in ancient Oyo-Ile empire...wow, that's interesting. No wonder the names, Iddo and Ikoyi, came from these people...

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 10:45am On Sep 02, 2013
Doff_Man:

I don't get you. Lagos is Yoruba land. With development comes immigration, but everyone knows who the earliest settlers were.
Yes yorubas were early settlers, but they are not the owners right now.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by DoffMan2: 10:45am On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: What type of human beings love another man's land more than theirs:/:/

Land is land. This world is in a constant state of flux with people moving and settling everywhere. People will always gravitate to areas of economic activities. The longer an area remains successful, the longer migrants will remain there. Eventually, whether you like it or not, the cultural make up of the area will be affected.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:46am On Sep 02, 2013
olu_kenzo :
No, the Ijebus were the middlemen, dealing mostly in clothing materials, arms, European products and of course slaves.

The ijebus have always been elites and thus weren't so impressed with British whence they came. They refused to allow the missionaries through the town calling it an abomination, they also ordered the egbas not to harbour them.

The egbas couldn't muster the level of ijebu courage and hence were shoved aside. The Awujale then ordered the alake to bring the mud house where the British were received on His head. This stunt didn't happen because war broke out later and the ijebus, though gallant in battle, lost to the superior fire power of her Majesty's army.

I know the Ijebu's have always been elites and merchants but I doubt we had dominion over the Egba's. We did lose a few wars against them and they're bravehearts.

I opened a thread about the Anglo-ijebu War (circa 1892) last year. You can read about it here: https://www.nairaland.com/1118220/battle-imagbon-anglo-ijebu-war-1892
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by DoffMan2: 10:48am On Sep 02, 2013
alfa john: When Nigeria breaks it is not if i repeat when it does break methinks Lagos will be capital city of Biafra republic. We know ur type I Before Others (IBO) always trying to grab what is not theirs. Why have u people never once ask urselves why ur are not yet President of Nigeria and why u will never be. A word is enough for the wise.

Ok, this didn't make sense.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 10:49am On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: Yes yorubas were early settlers, but they are not the owners right now.
Too much of akpu and ogbono soup is not good for the brainwinkwinkwink

10 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:50am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

It's cool, bruv.

This is not sth you discuss in public, the olumegbon is not from Ajah. His father was accommodated by the father of the Ajah, Ajalorun. Hence, when the case went to court and the Olumegbon family was asked to name the Ajah deities, he couldn't. again asked to name the location of the shrine, no answer. The burial place of their ancestors in community, he couldn't. But the Ajahs easily answered all these. The world is never fair, really.

4 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by teetee123: 10:53am On Sep 02, 2013
REMMEI: Really gbadun-ing this..can anyone shed a lil light about the kiriji war?..ijaye and the so called kurunmi..

There was a rich thread on kiriji war,Kurunmi and other Yoruba warriors few years ago on NL. Do a local search on
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:54am On Sep 02, 2013
olu_kenzo :

This is not sth you discuss in public, the olumegbon is not from Ajah. His father was accommodated by the father of the Ajah, Ajalorun. Hence, when the case went to court and the Olumegbon family was asked to name the Ajah deities, he couldn't. again asked to name the location of the shrine, no answer. The burial place of their ancestors in community, he couldn't. But the Ajahs easily answered all these. The world is never fair, really.

Interesting... I'm enjoying this, bruv.

Can you tell us more about the other Idejo Chiefs?

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by DoffMan2: 10:56am On Sep 02, 2013
ichidodo: Yes yorubas were early settlers, but they are not the owners right now.

This your way of thinking should be discouraged. What do you mean by owners of Lagos right now? Lagos is culturally Yoruba. The traditional rulers are yoruba men. The names of majority places are Yoruba. The only Nigerian language you can learn if growing up in lagos us Yoruba.

8 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: Too much of akpu and ogbono soup is not good for the brainwinkwinkwink
This thread is all about the Yoruba and their colonies no doubt! I expect you as an Odua son which you claim to be, to add positive and meaningful contributions to the thread. This thread is an educative one for Yorubas and non yorubas. Please stop displaying your outright stoopidity and stay on topic. If you still don't have anything to say, waka comot for the thread let people who have their brains stuck in their skull comment. wink

3 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 11:02am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

I know the Ijebu's have always been elites and merchants but I doubt we had dominion over the Egba's. We did lose a few wars against them and they're bravehearts.

I opened a thread about the Anglo-ijebu War (circa 1892) last year. You can read about it here: https://www.nairaland.com/1118220/battle-imagbon-anglo-ijebu-war-1892

They in fact did. Its painful all these resources are not available on the internet, mainly because few people care and because of some other sociopolitical and indeed cultural reasons.

The genesis of the saying Never slap an Ijebuman, also the fear and reverence even the craddle --ile-ife-- shows to the Ijebus till date is enough evidence.

omo alare!

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by omonnakoda: 11:03am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

Bruv, who are the "Eko tribe?"

Also, Oyo people have always been in Lagos, their population is even higher than the Ijebu's. That's definitely a revelation. I guess it has more to do with the refugees during the kiriji wars and the struggle for weapons on the coast.
I think the problem is people use the term "Lagos" interchangeably and erroneously.The census is about the Colony of Lagos NOT Lagos STATE as we know it today. Let us be clear about that!! Lagos state today inludes Epe and Ikorodu(Ijebu territories) which were NOT part of the census.
I really don't see how you can come to the conclusion that; "the population of Oyo is even higher than the Ijebu's in Lagos".
Firstly the census was in 1898 not today.
Secondly which "Lagos" ,Lagos State or the Former Colony. Let logic prevail!!
Most "Lagos" Ijebus were fishermen and many crossed the lagoon frequently from Aja,Badore,Lekki to Ikorodu,Bayeku,Igbogbo etc. They were unlikely to be counted in any Lagos Census but today have several agboles on the Island. Don't forget that as of 1891 the Ijebus had not signed any treaty with the British!!
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

Interesting... I'm enjoying this, bruv.

Can you tell us more about the other Idejo Chiefs?

Ah. naptu2 has done this before and I conceed better understanding to him. What is however plain is the that like in Ile-ife, the oba of Lagos is just a mere regent. Hence he owns no land except the ones conceeded to him by the landowners.

We await naptu2.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 11:08am On Sep 02, 2013
Doff_Man:

This your way of thinking should be discouraged. What do you mean by owners of Lagos right now? Lagos is culturally Yoruba. The traditional rulers are yoruba men. The names of majority places are Yoruba. The only Nigerian language you can learn if growing up in lagos us Yoruba.
But are the inhabitants homogenous? Are they alone in their occupancy of lagos? if not who are they co habiting with? what are their numbers in comparison.That the names are yorubas,d chiefs yorubas etc doesn't change anything afterall most of the names of important places on d Island have bini origins.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 11:09am On Sep 02, 2013
berem: This thread is all about the Yoruba and their colonies no doubt! I expect you as an Odua son which you claim to be, to add positive and meaningful contributions to the thread. This thread is an educative one for Yorubas and non yorubas. Please stop displaying your outright stoopidity and stay on topic. If you still don't have anything to say, waka comot for the thread let people who have their brains stuck in their skull comment. wink
For your stupid and idiotic mind now u don yab finish seems u're suffering selective amnesia,this she goat was literally turning a blind eye to the spurious claims her deluded ibo brothers were throwing around the thread,screaming lagos is our papa land,even after cold hard facts are been thrown to their faces.
And if i may also ask what have u contributed to the thread other displaying your sheer stupidity and"I must comment by force policy".
Ode raise to power 2.

9 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by YesBosss(m): 11:09am On Sep 02, 2013
Nice thread. Pls ignore those kids trying to derail the thread.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 11:10am On Sep 02, 2013
olu_kenzo :

They in fact did. Its painful all these resources are not available on the internet, mainly because few people care and because of some other sociopolitical and indeed cultural reasons.

The genesis of the saying Never slap an Ijebuman, also the fear and reverence even the craddle --ile-ife-- shows to the Ijebus till date is enough evidence.

omo alare!

Eweso at the bolded!! tongue

Err...I don't know if they did or not. However, from everything I've read, the Egba's have always been a thorn in the flesh of the Ijebu's, especially the Owu's. I think it's like a cat and mouse relationship. grin

Regardless, that doesn't negate the greatness and achievements of the ever war-like Egba people and the shrewdness of the Ijebu merchants. We're the closest in Yorubaland and kind of like siamese twins. grin
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 11:16am On Sep 02, 2013
odua son: For your stupid and idiotic mind now u don yab finish seems u're suffering selective amnesia,this she goat was literally turning a blind eye to the spurious claims her deluded ibo brothers were throwing around the thread,screaming lagos is our papa land,even after cold hard facts are been thrown to their faces.
And if i may also ask what have u contributed to the thread other displaying your sheer stupidity and"I must comment by force policy".
Ode raise to power 2.
Stop crying.Lagos is no man's land.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

We Killed 40 Nigerian Soldiers, Islamic State Claims / Doyin Okupe To Run For President In 2023 / After Buhari Seal Oyegun’s Fate Oshiomhole, Onu, Nnamani Favoured For APC Chair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.