Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 (24489 Views)

Are Nigerians Criminals? Statistics Of Nigerian Prisoners In Britain. - Pic / INEC Releases Statistics Of PVC Collected In All 36 States And FCT / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 9:04pm On Sep 01, 2013
emmatok:

Hahahahahah cheesy

So Yorubas are in millions in the SE.
Educate yourself Man.

No Yorubaman will call anypart of SE NO MAN'S LAND.

Reading comprehension must not be your forte.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by omonnakoda: 9:05pm On Sep 01, 2013
nnenna.1:

Reading comprehension must not be your forte.
Grammar is not yours ...........,

10 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 01, 2013
omonnakoda:
Grammar is not yours ...........,

Irrelevant and false.
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by omonnakoda: 9:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
nnenna.1:

Irrelevant and false.
are you related to General Shelleng

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 01, 2013
omonnakoda: are you related to General Shelleng

Is this supposed to be a smart comeback?

3 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by bittyend(m): 9:11pm On Sep 01, 2013
Why do dunderheads always feel the need to attribute Lagos to Benin? Do I need to remind you nutjobs that the few Edos that settled in Lagos, settled in Lagos Island which is like 1/200th of Lagos and that they came there by request not conquest? And they also don't own anything where they settled?
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 01, 2013
Yippee.

A troll-fest is about start.

*exits thread*
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by omonnakoda: 9:16pm On Sep 01, 2013
nnenna.1:

Is this supposed to be a smart comeback?

Just wondered if you are related to him. I think he used to be an artillery officer
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by bittyend(m): 9:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
Stupid troll calling others a troll.

Why are you on the thread, anyway?

Insecure and excessive testosterone having nutter!

4 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by DoffMan2: 9:44pm On Sep 01, 2013
omonnakoda:
That is one possibilty but logically not the only one.
Other logical one may be
The establishment of a seaport with the growth of international trade
The creation of "Nigeria" and the facilitation of movement after all this increased numbers is observed not only in Lagos but in PH eg also Kano Benin etc also the population of Lagos seems to have double AFTER the Capital was moved. From all indications what has made Lagos is the Port at Lagos. Nigeria has not been able to establish a similar port elsewhere on its rather long coastline

You make sense. My great grand father worked with the colonial govt as a court clerk/interpreter in the period described in the above excerpts. He worked all over the southern protectorate but never went to Lagos because it was almost in a "different" country. All that changed after the creation of Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by musiwa1h: 11:09pm On Sep 01, 2013
.. You know why I know... in 1891 the colony of lagos did not have egun people in it. and that docunment did not include poeple from ondo state who before 1891 were the first to settle in lagos
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by albiol: 1:16am On Sep 02, 2013
Any uzor kalu that ever says again that lagos is no mans land should be given a hot slap

5 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by musiwa1h: 2:20am On Sep 02, 2013
ondo people name most part of lagos.. Names like ebute metta, ebute ero,surulere, yaba, etc that why most people cant tell you what it means. ebute is an ondo word, yaba is an ondo word. that why, if you go to lagos island. people dont understand some of the meaning of the names.

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by mapet: 8:46am On Sep 02, 2013
I love threads like this, digging into the history and bringing out documented facts. It is educative. Let's keep it coming

6 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Carfid(m): 9:28am On Sep 02, 2013
Hmmm,,,British colony era looks fertile
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 02, 2013
mapet: I love threads like this, digging into the history and bringing out documented facts. It is educative. Let's keep it coming
Truly it is educative only if bigots will not derail the thread with their ethnic crap.

Waiting for naptu2 to give me more historical stories of Lagos. cool

5 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by veraponpo(m): 9:47am On Sep 02, 2013
berem: Truly it is educative only if bigots will not derail the thread with their ethnic crap.

Waiting for naptu2 to give me more historical stories of Lagos. cool

And Gbawe to give detailed analysis and unbiased opinion.

6 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 9:51am On Sep 02, 2013
Tony Spike: It's extra-ordinary that this population statistics was undertaken as the end of the Yoruba Kiriji wars approached circa 1892/93. The representation is quite astonishing. I'd like us to keep this thread clean of inter-tribal jibes...thanks.

Bruv, who are the "Eko tribe?"

Also, Oyo people have always been in Lagos, their population is even higher than the Ijebu's. That's definitely a revelation. I guess it has more to do with the refugees during the kiriji wars and the struggle for weapons on the coast.

4 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by TonySpike: 9:57am On Sep 02, 2013
ShymmexLion:

Bruv, who are the "Eko tribe?"

Also, Oyo people have always been in Lagos, their population is even higher than the Ijebu's. That's definitely a revelation. I guess it has more to do with the refugees during the kiriji wars and the struggle for weapons on the coast.

I believe the "Eko" tribe may refer to the families of the Landowners of the ancient Lagos Island known as the Idejos, as well as the royal families. In other words, Eko tribe refers to the first set of original inhabitants or the actual indigenes.

The Lagos port was used by the Ijesha and Ekiti armies to import military hardwares during the Kiriji wars. I think the Egbas were the middlemen in this business...

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 9:59am On Sep 02, 2013
So what is the relevance of this thread? Is it a rejoinder put out by our insecured civilised Yoruba slaves that Lagos actually belongs to them (of which the reality on ground says otherwise)? I get am before before no be property my yoruba people.

4 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 02, 2013
veraponpo:

And Gbawe to give detailed analysis and unbiased opinion.
Yes, definitely! cool
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:02am On Sep 02, 2013
Tony Spike:

I believe the "Eko" tribe may refer to the families of the Landowners of the ancient Lagos Island known as the Idejos, as well as the royal families. In other words, Eko tribe refers to the first set of original inhabitants or the actual indigenes.

However, most of the Idejo Chiefs are Awori's and a few Ijebu's. Perhaps they were alluding to those living in Lagos Island at that point in history.

Where's Chief Dudu_Negro? - that the Chief Eko historian. grin
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 02, 2013
Tony Spike:
The Lagos port was used by the Ijesha and Ekiti armies to import military hardwares during the Kiriji wars. I think the Egbas were the middlemen in this business...

Nah, the Ijebu's had the eastern parts of the coast on lock in Epe. We brought all types of ammunition in and monopolised the market. grin I think the Egba's controlled the western part.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:07am On Sep 02, 2013
We definitely need Kats, Dudu_negro, Terracotta and maybe aribisala/omonnkoda on this thread. grin

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by DoffMan2: 10:07am On Sep 02, 2013
So far, so good.

The thread has remained sane and educative apart from the occasional unsuccessful attempt, from the usual suspects, to bait bigots into taking a bite.

Fingers crossed, touch wood, by the grace of God; it will remain mostly educative.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by kingthreat(m): 10:10am On Sep 02, 2013
Then some 1967 separatists still have the guts to call the historic town of Lagos no man's land. Let them go form their Land of the Rising Sun and pass through the process of visa application before coming into Lagos. Lets see if they will still call it "No Man's Land".
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:13am On Sep 02, 2013
Tony_Spike

These are the Idejo Chiefs: Aromire, Oloto, Ojora, Onitolo, Onitano, Onikoyi, Oniru, Oluwa, Onisiwo, Eleguishi, Ojomu and Lumegbon.

Oniru and Eleguishi are definitely Ijebu's. Oloto is Ekiti. I think the rest are Awori's.

2 Likes

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by REMMEI(m): 10:15am On Sep 02, 2013
Really gbadun-ing this..can anyone shed a lil light about the kiriji war?..ijaye and the so called kurunmi..
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 02, 2013
Yorubas, always digging out stewpid and unprofitable history.... developing world are talking about "invention" histories not population history or origin histories... what has America got to do with the population of british immigrants in today's world. SMH
Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by ichidodo: 10:19am On Sep 02, 2013
kingthreat: Then some Biafran separatists still have the guts to call the historic town of Lagos no man's land. Let them go form their Biafra and pass through the process of visa application before coming into Lagos. Lets see if they will still call it "No Man's Land".
Lagos is no man's land jor (like jerusalem).Check out its history it never had a homogenous settler group, from d earlier natives, to d slave returnees on to d colonials and now to non yoruba Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Population Statistics Of Lagos British Colony In 1891 by oduason: 10:20am On Sep 02, 2013
Isiterere: I thought some people claim Lagos is no man's land , where are they in this era ?
They were still walking around naked,eating themselves,and practising the uncivilized and babaric OSU culture.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

No Regret Supporting Tinubu: Amb. Wahala After Receiving Attacks From Listeners / Nigeria Independence Day Celebration In Kaduna (photos) / #SayHerNameNigeria: Protest Rocks Abuja, Lagos Over Police Raid On Women (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.