Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,496 members, 7,826,869 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Email Retrieval With Php - Help Anyone? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Email Retrieval With Php - Help Anyone? (1978 Views)

Creating An Alumni Site With Php And Mysql / Designing A Site With Php And Oracle Tutorial (Oracle 10G) / Controlling Cpanel With Php Scripts To Create Email, Dbase, Subdomains: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Email Retrieval With Php - Help Anyone? by WebMonk(m): 7:24pm On Jun 13, 2008
I'm looking for a script or tutorial (preferably a class) that can access the email account of a domain (something like address@domain.com), retrieve unread messages AND mark the unread msgs as read, as opposed to deleting them. Most of the tutorials I've seen use classes that are either old (1999) or use deprecated functions (now everyone's using PHP5), and it seems components like SwiftMailer are for sending mails rather than reading them. Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated. I could have used a webmail based script, but i need this particular function specifically to for an app I'm building, so better to learn from scratch.

Examples of what it could be used for:

- Wordpress can post a blog article for you if you send an email with the article to a specific mail address that wordpress can access automatically. It checks for mail and adds the post if it finds a unique code in the mail (something you specified)

- Similar actions shd be possible for custom CMSes where YOU can schedule routine functions rather than logging unto the site and doing the same (particularly useful if you're somewhere it takes an hour to open your mail or when you're blogging on the move - with your phone)

the possibilities are endless - if i can get the email class up and running - any help? I'm no pro to php so be easy on me.
Re: Email Retrieval With Php - Help Anyone? by sbucareer(f): 7:46pm On Jun 13, 2008

Why do you need to reinvent the wheel? Use Outlook Express to access any known email server on Earth. As long as you know the email server config, I don’t see why Outlook cannot retrieve your emails.

About marking read and unread attributes, log into your original email facade and go to setting and configure your server to allow program to retrieve emails and leave the original email in the server.

Unless there is another requirement you are trying to achieve without our direct knowledge, Outlook will be sufficient for your task.

Details of email server config

1. You must know your SMTP i.e. smtp.domain.com
2. You must know your POP/IMAP/POP3 i.e. pop.domain.com
3. You must also know the ports for your SMTP and POP

Remember, SMTP is used in sending email out of your software i.e. Outlook, whilst POP/IMAP/POP3 etc, are used for receiving email and using pop need a username and passwd settings

I just remembered, you can tell Outlook to leave original email in the server

Re: Email Retrieval With Php - Help Anyone? by uspry1(f): 8:22pm On Jun 13, 2008
I usually use Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird to configure my email account from my web hosting server I always retrieve all incoming mails from my website's contact page, feedback page, or other form submission pages.

I also build re-used PHP-email form submission sending directly to my web hosting server that automatically forward to my Outlook Express that I do not want to mix with my personal Yahoo mail and other main home email programs. All web email from hosting are strictly for my business, not for personal mail.

That way i will not miss all form submissions of customers' order, feedback, ticket support, and price quote request from my website.

Here is PHP email form submission code that is found at below existing NL thread:

Need A Quick Solution: Contact Page
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-85638.0.html

Be creative! Can be questionaire form, survery form, employment application form, goes on. . .! Good luck!!!
Re: Email Retrieval With Php - Help Anyone? by WebMonk(m): 8:50pm On Jun 13, 2008
sbucareer:

[font=courier new][size=10pt]
Why do you need to reinvent the wheel? Use Outlook Express to access any known email server on Earth. As long as you know the email server config, I don’t see why Outlook cannot retrieve your emails.

About marking read and unread attributes, log into your original email facade and go to setting and configure your server to allow program to retrieve emails and leave the original email in the server.

Unless there is another requirement you are trying to achieve without our direct knowledge, Outlook will be sufficient for your task.

Thanks, but what i actually want to do is to create FROM SCRATCH a php program that carries out an action if it detects a mail, specifically using a cron job to check for set intervals (more like the 1st example), so all actions are carried out on the server without my interaction

But it seems that where i need to go requires me to reinvent the wheel. And e no b small task.

@uspry1:
Yes - i'm familiar with the contact form. i've also done form to email questionaire scripts. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Vanguard Finally Tops Nigeria Local & Global Traffic Rank / Learn Javascript Now No More Excuses. / Get HTML, CSS, JS,JQUERRY,PHP Tutorial Videos From Lynda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.