Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,023 members, 7,818,026 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? (2898 Views)

What Will You Do If You Are To Watch Over Such Pupil During An Examination? / ::: Funny Ways Nigerian Students Cheat During An Examination::: ( Pics) / What's The Funniest Thing You've Experienced Inside An Examination Hall? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 6:58pm On Sep 02, 2013
Would you tell a friend/seat mate an answer or ANY information that leads the person to the answer during an examination?

Would you open your script(s) for him/her to copy from?

Do you count this as Examination Malpractice?
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 7:35pm On Sep 02, 2013
I would love to start this discussion.

Without thinking for an extra second my answer is NO.

This question drags me back to the days I spent in the medical school of a Nigerian university studying.

In the beginning I permitted this "form" of exam malpractice, giving off answers when free to do so and "deliberately" opening my scripts for people to copy from.

Don't get me wrong readers, I wasn't always at the "honey" side; I also had my "challenging" days.

But that stopped right at the end of the beginning.

A time came when I realized that in real sense, I wasn't helping the brother/sister that sat next to me.

For crying out out, if you know you need academic help, how about making your consultations before exam?

To me, as I told a lecturer some time ago, life beats the definitions of the result sheets; the true essence of life is the fluid of knowledge that flows through us. One may say that an employer wouldn't be patient enough to hear from a graduate whose certificate gives out the cries of a 3rd class (giving him a chance to prove his potentials)but hey! This still doesn't push aside the above philosophy!

Ok, how about the part where one prepares for an exam and goes blank in the hall? Can't he just ask a colleague? My opinion: No again! The objective, I think, of writing exams is to test "how responsible we are"; a test of "our INTEGRITY" and not how much mark we can gather - I think.

Here is a story: In my second year at school, during the second semester, I did this Organic Chemistry course (Chem 260.1) which is the "updated version" of Year 1's Chem 132.2. I never really read this course. Why? My fears! My bad. But guess what.. during the exam I couldn't write a thing..(obviously). The girl that sat next to me (Chinansa) was "burning all the way down", asking for extra sheets. Just to enhance the understanding of this story: I'm a relatively nice person that scarcely says no when it comes to helping folks out...thus I'm sure that if I had asked Chinansa to help me out, she would have even before I completed the sentence of my plea! But I didn't!!! Here is what I call integrity; being ok with what you have without "stealing" more. That's it.

I think Nigeria would be a better place if everyone could adopt this. If you aren't satisfied with what you have then do some working and "get some more".

Through the mechanisms of exam malpractice we now have "half-baked" personnel in all the fields of endeavors - engineers now build bridges that collapse even before commission, doctors now forget their "mobile phones" in patients after an invasive medical procedure, accountants now invoke figures into account statements, bankers now "mistakenly" punch in their account numbers instead of the AC numbers of customers...the list goes on..

So brothers, this is what I think. If you are still a student, if you are a lecturer or a stakeholder in the educational sector (and if you are a Nigerian whose heart still beats)kindly join this campaign against examination malpractice. This is the only way that guarantees a better future.

Thank you.

8 Likes

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by Nobody: 10:52pm On Sep 02, 2013
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 2:37am On Sep 16, 2013
Rawdeal: .

? smiley
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by drollster(m): 4:43am On Oct 13, 2013
I totally agree with you. But prepare to make a lot of enemies with those kind of principles. In the end though it's usually worth it. And the friends you eventually make will be the best. wink

1 Like

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by jaryeh(m): 6:55am On Oct 13, 2013
I may share writing materials with a friend but i can never tell him or her any answer. My friends know me for that,so they don't feel disappointed.

1 Like

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Oct 15, 2013
I usually tell anyone next to me I don't discuss during the examination. This allows for them to either port to another seat or prepare themselves for the task ahead.

Another thing that works for me I sit with those people am not familiar with. We can discuss before answer booklet distribution but once the booklets are distributed #operation mind your business. Also I aim for the front seats.

Its not easy but one has to be determined.

3 Likes

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by tonididdy(m): 10:41am On Oct 16, 2013
@OP i tot u studied phylosophy,s what ''MEDICAL SCHOOL'' are you on about?

mmmmmm....

1 Like

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 8:07am On Oct 30, 2013
tonididdy: @OP i tot u studied phylosophy,s what ''MEDICAL SCHOOL'' are you on about?

mmmmmm....

Hello, greetings.

I studied Human PHYSIOLOGY sir.. smiley

Nice day...
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by Nobody: 9:48am On Oct 30, 2013
Nice thread,i must confess.
I really feel bad when my close friends or who ever,failed a course i cleared excellently, especially those i knew really prepared for the exam. But then,i wont for any reason allow malpractice.that's why In the university i attend,i do help my juniors and my mates by taking tutorials in math, physics and other mathematical related courses,I do tell them that,i could help anyone within my capacity,but definitely not in the exam hall,.
.folks,greater percentage of the nation's problems is derived from exam malpractice,when you get use to coping answer by anymeans to pass a particular corse in other to overcome presure from parents ("you must graduate with first class"wink or ridcule from friends,now that notion of "i must get it by hook or crook" settles in you,and after "sorting" your way out of the university you hardly could defend your certificate,and because "man must survive" you also try to bribe your way to get a job and so the trend goes on gradually becoming a liar and a potential "thief"

Here is a brief story of a 400L economics student who was caught in an exam malpractice, and was expelled,you know what.?The guy is a 4 pointer,who also handle tutorials for some of his mates, hmm,so sad indeed,
at this point many students starts saying he has been doing it before,and was'nt caught "99days for the thief, 1day for the owner." you see what exam malpractise could cause? He gat no reputation now, as a result "one"single act.

Friends, lets try to be honest,and hardworking in all we do, and i assure you, favour and success will definitely locate you.thank you for your time reading this.
Sorry for deviating

1 Like

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 4:35am On Oct 31, 2013
benbuks: Nice thread,i must confess.
I really feel bad when my close friends or who ever,failed a course i cleared excellently, especially those i knew really prepared for the exam. But then,i wont for any reason allow malpractice.that's why In the university i attend,i do help my juniors and my mates by taking tutorials in math, physics and other mathematical related courses,I do tell them that,i could help anyone within my capacity,but definitely not in the exam hall,.
.folks,greater percentage of the nation's problems is derived from exam malpractice,when you get use to coping answer by anymeans to pass a particular corse in other to overcome presure from parents ("you must graduate with first class"wink or ridcule from friends,now that notion of "i must get it by hook or crook" settles in you,and after "sorting" your way out of the university you hardly could defend your certificate,and because "man must survive" you also try to bribe your way to get a job and so the trend goes on gradually becoming a liar and a potential "thief"

Here is a brief story of a 400L economics student who was caught in an exam malpractice, and was expelled,you know what.?The guy is a 4 pointer,who also handle tutorials for some of his mates, hmm,so sad indeed,
at this point many students starts saying he has been doing it before,and was'nt caught "99days for the thief, 1day for the owner." you see what exam malpractise could cause? He gat no reputation now, as a result "one"single act.

Friends, lets try to be honest,and hardworking in all we do, and i assure you, favour and success will definitely locate you.thank you for your time reading this.
Sorry for deviating

Nicely written...
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by 1000bytessulex(m): 12:23am On Nov 01, 2013
Dat would be really base on a condition!!
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by Nobody: 6:42am On Nov 01, 2013
While I was still a student, I did. I definitely didnt go on to tell anyone the full span of the answer(I neva had the time and desire for that), just one of two things that pointed them in the right direction. But I never asked anyone when I was squeezed for answers, cos I personally dont fancy it (and you know, I wanted MY certificate, not OUR certificate).
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 7:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
Ezeed: While I was still a student, I did. I definitely didnt go on to tell anyone the full span of the answer(I neva had the time and desire for that), just one of two things that pointed them in the right direction. But I never asked anyone when I was squeezed for answers, cos I personally dont fancy it (and you know, I wanted MY certificate, not OUR certificate).

At a time in the past, I was in your shoes. Back in Year 1.

Just to ask, if you were to write an exam now would you still help your paddy out?
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 02, 2013
@Tonye001, ya, I'd still help a friend/stranger out, as long as it is within my power. But I forgot to mention, I will not open my script for anyone to copy and paste: why? I no dey go wake trouble when e dey sleep. Plus, while Im trying to help out, if I realise you didnt even open d course, I'l leave you to urself. Why? No be inside exam hall nai I go turn lesson teacher.

1 Like

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 8:04pm On Nov 02, 2013
Ezeed: @Tonye001, ya, I'd still help a friend/stranger out, as long as it is within my power. But I forgot to mention, I will not open my script for anyone to copy and paste: why? I no dey go wake trouble when e dey sleep. Plus, while Im trying to help out, if I realise you didnt even open d course, I'l leave you to urself. Why? No be inside exam hall nai I go turn lesson teacher.

smiley
Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by SecretDreams(m): 8:07pm On Nov 02, 2013
NO !

1 Like

Re: Would You Tell A Friend An Answer During An Examination? by TONYE001(m): 9:55pm On Nov 02, 2013
Ezeed: @Tonye001, ya, I'd still help a friend/stranger out, as long as it is within my power. But I forgot to mention, I will not open my script for anyone to copy and paste: why? I no dey go wake trouble when e dey sleep. Plus, while Im trying to help out, if I realise you didnt even open d course, I'l leave you to urself. Why? No be inside exam hall nai I go turn lesson teacher.

Do you think telling that friend is the ideal way of helping? What do you think is the implication of your telling him on his integrity skills? I think helping a mate in an exam is another way of teaching him that "things" can be gotten easily, even without the right, required work and investment.. This may kill his urge to work hard in the future as he would assume that he would still get aid...

I get your point though...of course we all can't share the same opinion.. smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Prediction Of ASUU Strike End / Who Remembers This? / 50+ Interesting Informative Speech Topics For College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.