Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,384 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:03 AM

Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority (1319 Views)

Who Is Unpatriotic – Tb Joshua Or Chris Green? / Obaseki Blasts Nigeria Television Authority / Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority by FatherAita(m): 8:42pm On Jun 14, 2008
Dear Honourable Senators & Representatives,

Dear Sir,

I wish to register my displeasure on the way the Nigerian Television Authority displays its unpatriotic nature by not televising matches involving the Super Eagles live.

Sir, can you imagine that while the NTA busies itself showcasing both live and old matches involving foreign clubs and National teams, Nigerians are denied the opportunity of seeing our own National team, Is this inferiority complex or just their way of showing our national team is not important to us?

During the last match between Nigeria and South Africa, Nigerians in the USA had to resort to watching the match live on the internet through www.livefooty.doctor-serv.com/ however, we were not so lucky for the second match with Sierra Leon. We were even made to know that Nigerians who saw the match at home saw it through private TV stations and a South African cable station, Supersports 3. This is really absurd for a match being played inside Nigeria not to be shown by a Nigerian station but a South African one!

It is disheartening and frustrating that while we take day off from work just to see our darling team play, NTA often spoil the fun. There is no match involving the USA national team that is not shown here. And you all will agree with me that the USA is in no way near Nigeria when it comes to soccer.

In order to know if NTA would show the match involving Equatorial Guinea, I got the NTA number from a website, http://www.lyngsat-address.com/ln/NTA.html and it has the information thus;

Street Address Television House, Area 11, Garki
PMB 13
City Abuja
Country Nigeria
Telephone +234 (0)9 234 5907 / 5915
Telefax +234 (0)9 234 5914
Email: webmaster@ntanetwork.cominfo@nbc-ng.org
Home Page: http://www.ntanetwork.com
Satellites Intelsat 905 Intelsat 907
© LSC, last updated 2008-06-09

Sirs/Madams, I called the telephone numbers as you can see from my call log below

Date Time To Duration (hh:mm:ss)
Nigerian Time
Jun 13, 2008 09:09 PM 23492345915 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 09:04 PM 23492345915 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:58 PM 23492345907 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:55 PM 23492345907 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:54 PM 23492345907 00:01:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:51 PM 23492345907 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:43 PM 23492345907 00:01:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:40 PM 23492345907 00:01:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:37 PM 23492345907 00:01:00

However, whenever the phone is answered, and I ask if that is NTA? The caller starts to laugh and I hear the voice of a little baby crying at the background. This has lead me to wonder if it’s really NTA’s number or another 419 stuff. You all can see I called the number nine times!

During the regime of Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, Super Eagles matches are frequently shown, it made us believe in Nigeria for that was the only thing that relieves the tension we went through everyday in the country. When we think of the anomalies that go on everyday in the country after a soccer match, we tend to forget our problems.

The NTA should know that showing Nigerian matches more helps to make people believe in the country and also, it helps to project Nigeria to the outside world. I remember a day I was speaking with a Mexican, he asked me where I can from, I said Nigeria and he said …haaa Nigeria soccer good good good, I can never forget because on that particular day, I felt so proud because apart from Nigeria 419, Nigeria 419 we hear everyday, we still hear …haaa Nigeria soccer good good good. And even though the guy’s English was not so good, the message was clear!

Right now, I am watching Netherlands vs. France (Euro 2008) on ESPN (an American station). To my surprise, NTA is showing the match. I cannot remember a time an European TV station showed the African Cup of Nations neither was there an American station that did same. But here we are, NTA is showing a foreign competition while ours is neglected. Even the last 8-nation invitational tourney that was held in Malaysia last month was not shown, not even the highlights!

I am really sad because NTA is helping to dampen the spirit of Nigerians here. Most of us subscribed to a cable company here called COMCAST COMMUNICATIONS because of the simple fact that it has NTA as one of the stations it carries. This station is quite expensive but because of the love of Nigeria, an extra mile must be met in order to continuously pay for the bill.

Please sirs/ madams, we are humbly requesting the National Assembly to prevail on NTA to make it a duty to always show any match live (home and away) involving all the national teams, Super Eagles, Super Falcons, Dream Team, Under 20, Under 17 etc. We love our country so much and we should not be discouraged.

May God bless you.

Imonitie Aitalegbe

***NIGERIANS VISIT www.nassnig.org AND SEND A MAIL TO ALL SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES. NTA MUST BE ALIVE TO THE YEARNINGS OF NIGERIANS!!!
Re: Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority by galatico(m): 1:00pm On Jun 21, 2008
NTA are bunk of junks who don't like showing football matches even if they did they would stop the match and say they want to read the News, The News can wait but soccer matches must be watched live and NTA are supposed to air the matches live mostly the matches involving our darling SUPER EAGLES, they allowed the chance slip them by and now DAAR COMMUNCIATIONS won the right to air the Nigeria matches shame on NTA.
Re: Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority by galatico(m): 1:02pm On Jun 21, 2008
NTA are bunk of junks who don't like showing football matches even if they did they would stop the match and say they want to read the News, The News can wait but soccer matches must be watched live and NTA are supposed to air the matches live mostly the matches involving our darling SUPER EAGLES, they allowed the chance slip them by and now DAAR COMMUNCIATIONS won the right to air the Nigeria matches shame on NTA.

A National Television Station that can not air the
matches played by their country.
Re: Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority by Ibime(m): 10:38pm On Jun 21, 2008
It is not new. If NFA cannot afford the rights, they cannot afford it. Or should NFA give it to them for free? NFA needs money to make sure the players are catered for. In England, we have many England matches which are shown by Sky Sports, not BBC.
Re: Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority by Akolawole(m): 2:29am On Jun 27, 2008
@Ibime

Most of the England's friendly matches were not even showned free in England.

TV licence money collected from UK television viewers is even a modern day Robbery.

(1) (Reply)

Hello Boxing Fans: Pound For Pound, Who Be The Best? / Nff Sets Up 14 (fourteen) Committees For 2010 World Cup / Standard Table Tennis Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.