Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,119 members, 7,814,922 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks (1261 Views)

Jonathan Set To Resign After Defeat [Resignation Speech Leaks] / President Jonathan Decides On Emergency Rule In Borno, Others Today / Breaking News: President Goodluck Jonathan Set To Quit; His Resignation Speech L (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by iluvnaija: 6:59pm On Sep 03, 2013
President Goodluck Jonathan Decides to Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenges and controversy – Martin Luther King Jr

Written by Fejiro Oliver

Fellow Countrymen; it’s with deep sense of patriotism that I make this speech tonight.

You will recall that when I was made the acting president and subsequently president due to the untimely death of president Shehu Yaradua GCFR, I had to do my best to keep the nation as one, knowing that the polity was still heated at that moment, as failure to do so would have seen the army probably striking, hence my inability to perform to your expectation.

All I did during the two years period of serving out President Yaradua’s tenure was to see to the rule of law which he began till he passed away.

May his gentle soul rest in peace.

When the coast was clear for election to take place, I went into the race, campaigning to all of you in your various states, soliciting for your votes.

Many of you formed various groups on my behalf to woo the electorates.

May I at this junction correct this belief that I initiated the “I had no shoes” mantra; on the contrary, I was shocked myself to see the campaign jingle all over the media.

As a matter of fact, I was not consulted before it was done, but I realize that it was all campaign strategy aimed at appealing to your conscience.

I made various promises in each of the states I visited, which was a total of ninety one (91).

Dear compatriots, I have I not forgotten the promise made in any of these States.

I do not seek to be a hero among you; neither do I seek the title of statesmanship, when I don’t deserve it.

It was out of my love for football that I disbanded our national team, not out of wickedness.

I’m not unaware that you turned your back on me during the infamous January 1st 2012 fuel subsidy which was engineered by the Federal Executive Council, an action which necessarily I would not have even considered, considering that I came from the same background as you.

But who was I to say no to a Harvard graduate like Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, who you all agreed is an economic guru, when she gave cogent economic reasons on why the fuel subsidy should be removed, even though I admit that I never understood what it meant.

Tonight, I want to apologize for that action which I took that caused the protests where lives were lost.

I apologize to the family of Enenche Akogwu, the Channels TV reporter who died on the line of duty reporting the anger of Nigerians against the decision I took.

I feel your pain and I do believe you also feel mine. It is my sincere drive to better your standard of living that is why I approved the fuel subsidy decision, especially on a day when you all should be rejoicing and making resolutions for the New Year.

Please forgive my being insensitive. The hallmarks of leader is admitting when they are wrong, apologizing for it and showing true signs of repentance.

Yes, cabals have taken over my administrations as I have admitted over time; cabals whom I thought I could fight to a standstill, but I was wrong.

How could I fight cabals like Femi Otedola, Aliko Dangote, Jimoh Ibrahim, Dantata, Chris Uba and a host of others too numerous to mention, when they all bankrolled my election?

I agree that in this area I failed Nigerians; I failed you, knowing that it was your votes that brought me into power.

I was not blabbing when I vowed to fight the fabrics of corruption that have eaten deep into the system, but may I tell you this compatriots; the fight against corruption can be fought only with a clean hand, which admittedly I don’t have.

I’m sorry if I disappointed you.

Your complaints against Alison Madueke, urging me to fire her as Minister of petroleum is justified, and even though I truly wish to bow to your wishes, especially when glaring evidences were provided, but I truly do not have the courage to fire a kinsman, who have been a financial pillar to me and ‘bedmate’, as some of you allege, but I can sincerely say to you that they were all figments of imaginations of the media.

I need not talk about Elder Orubebe; his corrupt files are on my table, but again, the same hand that held me back from firing Alison had also held me back from sacking him, but do not mistake me for gay, as I am not one.

In this I know that I broke the oath of office by practicing nepotism. Once again, I apologize to all Nigerians.

I promise that the 13 billion dollars I set aside with her towards 2015 campaigns will now be reverted toward national building and security.

Fellow citizens of our great country Nigeria, you must have observed that we are gradually winning the war against terrorism, as orchestrated by Boko Haram.

Though it was not easy taking the decision to declare state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States, but send a message that we are not a nation govern by terrorists, who vowed to hold us to ransom, I had to take it.

The issue of Boko Haram will be a thing of the past before the end of 2013; this I can assure you.

I urge you to ignore any propaganda of the group or any other insurgent groups. We will win. Yes, we will overcome.

If there is any individual that I owe loads of apologies to, the person is Governor Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State, who I admit has not done anything to me personally to incur my wrath.

Let me at this very moment state that my fight against him has been due to what my political followers in the field fed me with, as well as his misunderstanding with my wife.

Source: http://ireporterstv.co/president-goodluck-jonathan-decides-to-quit-resignation-speech-leaks/
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by soloafe: 7:11pm On Sep 03, 2013
for ur mind. may u wake up by 2019, dream on boy.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Evyuc(m): 7:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
@op ur tried but mind u it lacks d standard of speach dat can be deliverd by president of any nation
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Horus(m): 7:26pm On Sep 03, 2013
The moderator is a Dictator, he keep deleting threads that do not suport Goodluck Jonathan
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by afdynamic(m): 7:40pm On Sep 03, 2013
i swear, i wil b d happiest person on earth if dat happen.

bt e no possible. nigerians r 2 selfish 2 do dat.

bt if dis tin happen. i fit jump inside well cos of ova hapiness.....
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Nobody: 7:45pm On Sep 03, 2013
inasmuch as I am not benefiting anything financially significantly from his govt, this op writeup is an extremely dimensional of roughplay. op be careful what you ask for. in Nigeria there are still devils of the likes of Hitler, Assad, Saddam, Abacha, the current north Korea leader in the country. do you want personality like idi Amin to be President in NIGERIA? be careful. datz all!
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by taiocol: 7:47pm On Sep 03, 2013
even PeJ nr fit giv dis kind speech
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Jamji: 8:18pm On Sep 03, 2013
Gej has brought big shame to the presidency.its time he quits.obj and yaradua werent rotten like this.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
Jamji: Gej has brought big shame to the presidency.its time he quits.obj and yaradua werent rotten like this.
Hater GEJ is better than the two men combine
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Bigcake: 8:26pm On Sep 03, 2013
taiocol: even PeJ nr fit giv dis kind speech
Even ur motherr sef.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Kanwulia: 8:34pm On Sep 03, 2013
This one good na!

He will DIE soon! Mark my words!!!!!! kiss
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by taiocol: 9:30pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bigcake: Even ur motherr sef.
hy u knw nting abt ma mum. Just watch ur mouth
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 03, 2013
All these urhobo people no go ever get sense.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by Bigcake: 10:51pm On Sep 03, 2013
taiocol: hy u knw nting abt ma mum. Just watch ur mouth
Shut up. U little foool, ur motherr is a pig dat cnt be compared to Patience Jonathan. Learn to respect d president's wife n i will hav a rethink abt ur motherr.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by taiocol: 11:07pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bigcake: Shut up. U little foool, ur motherr is a pig dat cnt be compared to Patience Jonathan. Learn to respect d president's wife n i will hav a rethink abt ur motherr.
u ar a dullard. Did i insult Mr President's wife?. Once again dnt call ma Mum
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by cumpaddre(m): 11:12pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bigcake: Shut up. U little foool, ur motherr is a pig dat cnt be compared to Patience Jonathan. Learn to respect d president's wife n i will hav a rethink abt ur motherr.
I thought there are moderators on this website??
This person deserves a ban for life!
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by ThankGodEdeh(m): 11:59pm On Sep 03, 2013
Haters, go hug transformer. GEJ is d best president Nigeria av ever had. See u in 2019
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Decides To Quit, Resignation Speech Leaks by hisswagness: 12:16am On Sep 04, 2013
Did u understand wat he meant by 'even PEJ no go gv dis kyn speech'? I bet u dint...sayin dis kind of stufs in a public forum as big a nairaland tells a lot abt u

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Can Marrying A White Woman (oyinbo) Put A Stop To My Political Dreams?? / Lagos Restricts Danfo Drivers To 8 Hours Of Work? / Obama Appoints Debo Adegbile To Head Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.