Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,148 members, 7,818,448 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. (44423 Views)

Oau Cut- Off Mark For Law 2012/2013 / 78 Year Old Awujale Of Ijebuland Enrols For Law At National Open University / Which University In Nigeria Is The Best For Law Mass Communication (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Tunbolity(m): 4:50pm On Sep 06, 2013
Fynestboi: expectng MORE OF THIS
As we all know that the major problem many faculties of law have had to battle with lack of qualified manpower,Faculty of Law, UI is not exempted from this. As of present, they only have two professors; Profs. Yemisi Bamgbose and Adeniyi Olatunbosun. Infact, the latter just got a fresh appointment and he was chosen as the new dean succeeding the former, Yemisi Bamgbose after she had overstayed in office due to the fact that there was no other lecturer in the faculty with requisite qualification to become the dean. It was in the light of this that Adeniyi Olatunbosun transferred from OAU where he had been denied the deanship position, to UI and got appointed as the dean upon resumption of duty. Apart from these two professors, the rest are misters. Even the former dean, Yemisi Bamgbose was a mere Ph.D holder when she was appointed as dean due to the dearth of qualified hands.In case you are in doubt, make your investigation among sincere and dispassionate students of that faculty.I am not a student of Law,UI, I am of the faculty of Law,OAU but I know what is going on in that faculty cos I know those who are directly involved there in UI
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 6:33pm On Sep 06, 2013
damosky12:
U be 'efico' broz. I just like ur persistent spirit. I have learnt from that. I am a student of Phil but I still plan to read Law.
all you need to do is to work hard and try to make a first class or a very confident 2.1 then apply for second degree
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Timichael(m): 8:16pm On Sep 06, 2013
zezeny:
Moot and Mock competition among law students is a practical aspect of law where all wot have been tot in class are put into practice. As d name implies "mock" is just a miniature of wot is being done in real courts. It can be between chambers in each university, and it can also be between two or more universities. Most times, high court judges are being invited to decide d winners.
I hope u found dis helpful. Goodluck.
thanks a bunch sir... Bt... Chambers? In a sku? Are there stil different ones? Pls elucidate. I'm sowi if it sounds foolish.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by damosky12(m): 8:25pm On Sep 06, 2013
hmmm.. A lot interests me bout that course. A lot
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by papindinho(m): 8:31pm On Sep 06, 2013
Nice house for great minds. Weldone men (not guys, u guys are the walking legal armies). I'm not a law student neither am I a Philosophical one. I'm just a lover of progress and being an observer here would help me amass some useful knowledge of what it entails to be a lawyer and a philosopher on the other hand. Great job fynest. Administrators and lawyers are inseparable though.lolz. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by papindinho(m): 8:33pm On Sep 06, 2013
I'm gonna copy you small Fynest. Hope u won't mind?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 8:34pm On Sep 06, 2013
papindinho: I'm gonna copy you small Fynest. Hope u won't mind?
copy me? wnt mind...
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by papindinho(m): 8:40pm On Sep 06, 2013
Fynestboi: copy me? wnt mind...
we wld talk abt it bro. No derailing aimed. #sorry house.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Fynestboi: 8:47pm On Sep 06, 2013
Beta
papindinho: we wld talk abt it bro. No derailing aimed. #sorry house.
tonguetonguetongue
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 12:27pm On Sep 07, 2013
Tunbolity: As we all know that the major problem many faculties of law have had to battle with lack of qualified manpower,Faculty of Law, UI is not exempted from this. As of present, they only have two professors; Profs. Yemisi Bamgbose and Adeniyi Olatunbosun. Infact, the latter just got a fresh appointment and he was chosen as the new dean succeeding the former, Yemisi Bamgbose after she had overstayed in office due to the fact that there was no other lecturer in the faculty with requisite qualification to become the dean. It was in the light of this that Adeniyi Olatunbosun transferred from OAU where he had been denied the deanship position, to UI and got appointed as the dean upon resumption of duty. Apart from these two professors, the rest are misters. Even the former dean, Yemisi Bamgbose was a mere Ph.D holder when she was appointed as dean due to the dearth of qualified hands.In case you are in doubt, make your investigation among sincere and dispassionate students of that faculty.I am not a student of Law,UI, I am of the faculty of Law,OAU but I know what is going on in that faculty cos I know those who are directly involved there in UI

Well, u may be right about d issue of d new dean, but b4 i left school after strike, our dean was still our dean, no change occured. i wud'nt know maybe wot u are talking about happened during dis strike.
About d issue of professors, I dont know maybe u av never heard of Prof. Yinka Omorogbe, our former dean, because i can see u didnt mention her in ur list.
As for OAU, i know a little about d place, and i want to believe dey too do not av as many professors like dat too. i know of ur former dean, prof popoola (who was also a Dr. when he became OAU Law Dean) nd about two to three odas. Even ur former acting dean, Olat, is jst a Dr. I want to say dis issue of shortages of staff in law faculties cut across almost all law faculties in Nigeria (which i am happy u urself attests to).
Furthermore, I want to say every skool has its own area of weakness. If u are sincere and truthful enough, u would also mention the quota oau admits every session. Or Is it d stress of running about looking for lecture theathre to take lectures? Is it d very discouraging condition dat law students take lecture in oau where over 350 students will take a lecture in a class room dat can only accomodate say 80 students? Is it OAU moot and mock court dat u and I know its below stadard? Or is it d fact dat a law student cannot even say confidently whether he or she will go to d law school at d right
time due to over quota, where ova 400 students will battle for a quota of jst 250?, to mention but a few.
Bro, u committed a big fallacy in ur write-up wen u mentioned dat apart from dose two Deans,"odas are misters". I tot u painted urself as dispassionate and sincere. How wud u say a law faculty of UI has two professors and others are misters. Haba bro! Suferey nah. Kilode? So no doctor at all in the whole faculty. U funny gan oh. SMH. For ur information, UI law faculty has countless of Doctors few examples are Dr. Akintayo (who was a contributor to "an introduction to Nigerian Legal Method" edited by Abiola Sanni, Dr. Olomola, Dr. Anifalaje, Dr. Akeredolu to mention but a few. Bro I neva mention the two Sub-Deans oh,and I never also mention HOD of Private and Business Law who are all Doctors. Make I continue? Bro, abeg in case of next time, make proper research before leaping.
Well, I'm not here to compete with ur skool in anyway, I jst want u to know dat dese deficiencies we've counted for law schools in Nigeria is nothin but a product of our bad government.
Neverthless, i salute ur comment nd contribution. Thanks.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 12:30pm On Sep 07, 2013
@Timichael... Chambers in law faculties are jst tutorial groups. They are usually more dan two. In my skool, we av four. I tink its more dan four in OAU. These chambers tackle one anoda in debates, moot and mock competition etc. They also organise programmes.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 12:31pm On Sep 07, 2013
Anybody who wishes to know more about UI Faculty of Law shud feel free to ask me. I'm ready to reply to d best of my understanding. GOODLUCK
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by olumidaie(m): 1:55pm On Sep 07, 2013
Sorry to post this, but it is about my UI Direct Entry admission this year INTO LAW; and I would need your help:

olumidaie: morning fellow aspirants, I have a tough problem. After paying to the bank, the friend I gave a file CONTAINING MY UI RECIEPT just called me that she can't find the file.

Though, all other documents in the file are of no significant importance to me; the reciept in the file is the bond of contention. Please, how can I continue with the registration without the reciept

PLEASE, GIVE ME A REASONABLE REPLY AS BANK WOULDN'T OPEN TODAY AND SUBMISSION ENDS NEXT WEEK

Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Excelboi(m): 2:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
As zezeny as earlier said, all law faculties do have chamber. They are not necessarily real operating chambers that judge real court cases, they are just allowed to operate within the jurisdiction of the school and have competitions and moot trials with other schools or within the other chambers in the school. The chamber i belong to in school once went on a challenge with the Advocate chamber of ABU fac of Law. The chambers helps alot as a law student. In my school, we have four chambers respectively: Equity,Solace,Liberty and Al-Maslaha chambers. We take part in moot trials and in some occassions, we invite SAN(s) to witness our proceedings and some time high court judges to precide over cases. Hw abt ur schools fellas? Pls share
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2013
@Excelboi Wots ur skul bro?
In UI faculty of Law, we have four Chambers namely: T.O.ELIAS, H.O.DAVIES, DARNELY ALEXANDER and AUGUSTINE NNAMANI.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 3:19pm On Sep 07, 2013
yea right,in UNILAG,idk aw many we have bt i'd mention d ones iKnow: JOC{Justice Oputa Chambers} Esho Kayode chambers,Gani Fawehinmi Chambers(these r d ones iKnow der names)Dey also organise lectures & invite top rights activists & SANs.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Excelboi(m): 3:32pm On Sep 07, 2013
zezeny: @Excelboi Wots ur skul bro?
In UI faculty of Law, we have four Chambers namely: T.O.ELIAS, H.O.DAVIES, DARNELY ALEXANDER and AUGUSTINE NNAMANI.
I skul at Bayero University, Kano. I thought their is a chamber called Equity In UI?
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 3:45pm On Sep 07, 2013
Excelboi: I skul at Bayero University, Kano. I thought their is a chamber called Equity In UI?
Not in UI. Equity Chamber is in OAU. U can also find Justice Chamber, Magna Curia Chamber etc all in OAU.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Excelboi(m): 3:56pm On Sep 07, 2013
zezeny:
Not in UI. Equity Chamber is in OAU. U can also find Justice Chamber, Magna Curia Chamber etc all in OAU.
Yeah rite. I grab now. Would love to pay a visit to UI someday. Maybe in an inter school moot trial. *winks*
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by lanaVello1(m): 4:01pm On Sep 07, 2013
in addition,d 4th one is T.Elias chambers. Those r d major 4 chambers in lag
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by phtemie(m): 4:30pm On Sep 07, 2013
zezeny:
Well, u may be right about d issue of d new dean, but b4 i left school after strike, our dean was still our dean, no change occured. i wud'nt know maybe wot u are talking about happened during dis strike.
About d issue of professors, I dont know maybe u av never heard of Prof. Yinka Omorogbe, our former dean, because i can see u didnt mention her in ur list.
As for OAU, i know a little about d place, and i want to believe dey too do not av as many professors like dat too. i know of ur former dean, prof popoola (who was also a Dr. when he became OAU Law Dean) nd about two to three odas. Even ur former acting dean, Olat, is jst a Dr. I want to say dis issue of shortages of staff in law faculties cut across almost all law faculties in Nigeria (which i am happy u urself attests to).
Furthermore, I want to say every skool has its own area of weakness. If u are sincere and truthful enough, u would also mention the quota oau admits every session. Or Is it d stress of running about looking for lecture theathre to take lectures? Is it d very discouraging condition dat law students take lecture in oau where over 350 students will take a lecture in a class room dat can only accomodate say 80 students? Is it OAU moot and mock court dat u and I know its below stadard? Or is it d fact dat a law student cannot even say confidently whether he or she will go to d law school at d right
time due to over quota, where ova 400 students will battle for a quota of jst 250?, to mention but a few.
Bro, u committed a big fallacy in ur write-up wen u mentioned dat apart from dose two Deans,"odas are misters". I tot u painted urself as dispassionate and sincere. How wud u say a law faculty of UI has two professors and others are misters. Haba bro! Suferey nah. Kilode? So no doctor at all in the whole faculty. U funny gan oh. SMH. For ur information, UI law faculty has countless of Doctors few examples are Dr. Akintayo (who was a contributor to "an introduction to Nigerian Legal Method" edited by Abiola Sanni, Dr. Olomola, Dr. Anifalaje, Dr. Akeredolu to mention but a few. Bro I neva mention the two Sub-Deans oh,and I never also mention HOD of Private and Business Law who are all Doctors. Make I continue? Bro, abeg in case of next time, make proper research before leaping.
Well, I'm not here to compete with ur skool in anyway, I jst want u to know dat dese deficiencies we've counted for law schools in Nigeria is nothin but a product of our bad government.
Neverthless, i salute ur comment nd contribution. Thanks.
They don't admit up to 400 anymore..They admitted 270 this year,D.E inclusive..
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 07, 2013
Any 500L law student from any uni here? I need a mentor pls.. I'm in 200L
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 07, 2013
Any 500L law student from any uni here? I need a mentor pls.. I'm in 200L
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 1:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
phtemie:
They don't admit up to 400 anymore..They admitted 270 this year,D.E inclusive..
So, tell me wot is d difference ? Either 400 before or 270 now, d fact still remains dat OAU admits above its law school quota every year which is why not all its law graduates go to law school every year. Law Students in deir final year in OAU lobby to find deir names on law school list jst like dey did wen dey were looking for admission into d University. I can start counting my friends who did not go to law school in OAU for u now. I guess u must av read my earlier post where I made a proper introduction of myself. Everytin I say about OAU is directly from source and not earsay.I spent 4yrs in OAU and infact, some Law students and I took some courses together. so,I want to believe u can't know as much as I know concerning d faculty.Many of those we finished together who are from Law are still at home now not able to go to Law school because deir names did not appear on d Law school list. some are forced to go to service and hope for Law School after service. Some have even lost hope completely all because of over populated students struggling for limited Law School quota of 250. lemme just rest my case here cos I can continue on and on about OAU Law.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 1:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
Excelboi: Yeah rite. I grab now. Would love to pay a visit to UI someday. Maybe in an inter school moot trial. *winks*
Lolz.... Bro, and I would also love to welcome u into d Premier University too.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 2:11pm On Sep 08, 2013
zezeny:
So, tell me wot is d difference ? Either 400 before or 270 now, d fact still remains dat OAU admits above its law school quota every year which is why not all its law graduates go to law school every year. Law Students in deir final year in OAU lobby to find deir names on law school list jst like dey did wen dey were looking for admission into d University. I can start counting my friends who did not go to law school in OAU for u now. I guess u must av read my earlier post where I made a proper introduction of myself. Everytin I say about OAU is directly from source and not earsay.I spent 4yrs in OAU and infact, some Law students and I took some courses together. so,I want to believe u can't know as much as I know concerning d faculty.Many of those we finished together who are from Law are still at home now not able to go to Law school because deir names did not appear on d Law school list. some are forced to go to service and hope for Law School after service. Some have even lost hope completely all because of over populated students struggling for limited Law School quota of 250. lemme just rest my case here cos I can continue on and on about OAU Law.
i agree with most of the points you raised but some of the i disagree with. First, 270 is diff from 400 because if you admit 270 it is certain that the whole 270 would not graduate because for one reason or the other some student would not make it to the 5th year. Secondly, the issue of not going to law school at the right time has been dealt with by the dean in the last held colloquium. He explained that because we have more than the qouta in most classes everyone would not be able to go to law skul at the right time so what would happen is that the first 250 according to their CGPA in the class would go first then the rest would go the next year. finally ur frnds that are still at home probably had problems with their result which would be why they are at home.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 3:05pm On Sep 08, 2013
gentlefada: i agree with most of the points you raised but some of the i disagree with. First, 270 is diff from 400 because if you admit 270 it is certain that the whole 270 would not graduate because for one reason or the other some student would not make it to the 5th year. Secondly, the issue of not going to law school at the right time has been dealt with by the dean in the last held colloquium. He explained that because we have more than the qouta in most classes everyone would not be able to go to law skul at the right time so what would happen is that the first 250 according to their CGPA in the class would go first then the rest would go the next year. finally ur frnds that are still at home probably had problems with their result which would be why they are at home.
I don't know how much to appreciate u for ur impassionate and sicere contribution towards wot I posted earlier. Some pple will know d truth but will fail to say it because dey are attached one way or d oda to d topic in question.
Well, 270 is different from 400 as u said. But my broda, let us say d truth, must OAU gamble with d future of innocent students ? Wen d quota given to u by law school is 250, why admit 270? Is dat not a clear sign of illegality? Yet dey claim dey are pouring out legal minds who are justice concious. But d faculty itself has failed to live by example. I obviously know about d colloquam u are talking about, I was still in school wen u guys held it. But, my broda, jst imagine OAU law still admitting 270 students wen d actual qouta is 250, yet some pple are still on ground awaiting law school. And ur. Present 300level class is up to 400. Jst put all dese together, plus OAU law still admitting 270 (still above d quota of 250), can u now see dat dis issue of some pple not going to d law school can still linger on for d next "10 yrs" or even more. In my school, our quota is around 150, and d faculty has done it that, u cannot find anytin above 140 law students in each class therby giving every law student d assurance of going to d law school at d right time without lobbying except if u av a personal problem.
Well, once again, I commend u for ur sincere contribution. GOODLUCK.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Excelboi(m): 3:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
I think most school admit more than the quota for a reason best known to them. Some for selfish gain while some do it to balance up since they may believe that not all may graduate at the final level. Like in BUK now, in my set, we are 218 (including D.E) and the quota given to them is 200. Along each level, some may drop out for some reason and some will spill over at the end of the day, it will just be a few number that may not be lucky to go to the law school. But admitting 400 students at a time i think it's outrageous.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 3:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
zezeny:
I don't know how much to appreciate u for ur impassionate and sicere contribution towards wot I posted earlier. Some pple will know d truth but will fail to say it because dey are attached one way or d oda to d topic in question.
Well, 270 is different from 400 as u said. But my broda, let us say d truth, must OAU gamble with d future of innocent students ? Wen d quota given to u by law school is 250, why admit 270? Is dat not a clear sign of illegality? Yet dey claim dey are pouring out legal minds who are justice concious. But d faculty itself has failed to live by example. I obviously know about d colloquam u are talking about, I was still in school wen u guys held it. But, my broda, jst imagine OAU law still admitting 270 students wen d actual qouta is 250, yet some pple are still on ground awaiting law school. And ur. Present 300level class is up to 400. Jst put all dese together, plus OAU law still admitting 270 (still above d quota of 250), can u now see dat dis issue of some pple not going to d law school can still linger on for d next "10 yrs" or even more. In my school, our quota is around 150, and d faculty has done it that, u cannot find anytin above 140 law students in each class therby giving every law student d assurance of going to d law school at d right time without lobbying except if u av a personal problem.
Well, once again, I commend u for ur sincere contribution. GOODLUCK.

hmmm. Totally agree with you again but like i said earlier the new dean is trying to regulate the quota buy cutting it down. I can tell you that in the past 5 sessions no class has been below 300. The fact that the new dean has made effort to cut it down shows that the skul admin has seen it has a problem and they are trying to solve that problem. i think that is commendable on their part. 270 is not perfect but its reasonable
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by gentlefada(m): 3:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
Excelboi: I think most school admit more than the quota for a reason best known to them. Some for selfish gain while some do it to balance up since they may believe that not all may graduate at the final level. Like in BUK now, in my set, we are 218 (including D.E) and the quota given to them is 200. Along each level, some may drop out for some reason and some will spill over at the end of the day, it will just be a few number that may not be lucky to go to the law school. But admitting 400 students at a time i think it's outrageous.
my brother the reason is not so farfetched. If the number of student that made the merit list are admitted then there wont be problems but because some people know people in authority in the skul they use their leg to lubby for their child to be admitted even when their child(ward) did not meet the cut off.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by zezeny: 4:08pm On Sep 08, 2013
gentlefada: my brother the reason is not so farfetched. If the number of student that made the merit list are admitted then there wont be problems but because some people know people in authority in the skul they use their leg to lubby for their child to be admitted even when their child(ward) did not meet the cut off.
Tank u my broda. U jst hit d nail on its head. I hope ur new Dean helps as u said. Cos Law shud be for d brilliant and sharp minds and not for d rich or connected ones.
Re: A Thread For Law And Philosophy Undergraduates, Graduate and Aspirant. by Nobody: 4:45pm On Sep 08, 2013
Name: Olanrewaju olamide
Course: Law
School : UNILORIN
Level : Fresher. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (28) (Reply)

Female Student Electrocuted At Rivers State University (Photo) / Nigerian Quadruplets Graduates Simultaneously with Masters Degree In UK / White Parents Claim Calculation Error After Two Black Students Came Tops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.