Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,973 members, 7,810,704 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:39 PM

Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse (10469 Views)

A Street In Onitsha After Heavy Rain / Water Supply Restored In Onitsha After 12 Years / Three Killed, 30 Vehicles Burnt In Yoruba-hausa Clash (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Nobody: 6:54am On Sep 05, 2013
Three people were feared killed yesterday in Onitsha, Anambra State, when a four-storey building, under construction, collapsed after an early morning downpour.

The building, situated on No 24, Obanye Street in Odoakpu, near Onitsha General Post Office, collapsed at about 3:30pm. The collapsed building is said to be valued at over N40 million.

It could not be confirmed yesterday if three people died. An eye witness said nobody died as workers had closed for the day when it happened. He said workers were sighted at the building at about 8am.

A mechanic, Mr. Willy Chima, told our reporter that he had his workshop on the land before it was sold for the erection of the four-storey building. Chima said the building could have given way because the soil had persistently been ravaged by flood.

He noted that the land should have been sand-filled before the erection of a structure of such magnitude.

At the scene of the incident in Obanye Street, sympathisers were seen discussing in groups.

Sources said inferior materials could have been used in the construction. Tiny iron rods were seen hanging-out and the building appeared sunk below its foundation.

A woman from Ukpo in Dunukofia Local Government Area, who allegedly owned the building and lives in Abuja, was said to own another five-storey building, which is almost completed at the back of the collapsed structure.

The contractor handling the project was said to have visited the site on hearing about the unfortunate incident.

Another eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the builders and labourers did not work due to a downpour, which started at about 6:30 a.m.

“We heard a heavy sound and as most of the neighbourhoods in the street rushed out, we saw the uncompleted building collapsing.

“It was a big surprise to all of us. We have noticed recently that work in the building was going on at a high speed.

“It is just a pity, what a huge financial loss. But thank God, no one was working in the building today and no one was injured in the incident,’’ he said.

A three-storey building undergoing construction at Okofia–Umuenem, Otolo Nnewi in Nnewi North Local Government Area also collapsed.

Work was going on when the building caved in, trapping about seven workers. Although nobody died, six were wounded, three critically. They were rushed to Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi and a private hospital.

Chief Christopher Akabogu, a businessman based in Kano, is said to be the owner of the building. The contractor was said to have used inferior materials.

President General of the Community, Mr Alphonsus Amiebue said that the villagers mobilised to rescue the victims but could not ascertain if some were buried alive.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/three-killed-in-onitsha-building-collapse/
http://www./three-killed-in-onitsha-after-four-store.xhtml
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by sinmisolaoluwa: 1:15pm On Sep 05, 2013
GOD HAVE MERCY...RIP TO THE DEAD
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by valdubem(m): 1:15pm On Sep 05, 2013
Lots of death this yr. RIP to the dead.
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
Chai,odi nnwute cry
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Opey4luv(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
cryMay their souls rest in peace. cryMay their souls rest in peace.
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by resdan(m): 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
13th to comment.....@topic rip...
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by colombiana: 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
I knw some ple here would blame Gej or those mumu end time ple to spill their usual, boring ETT
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Nobody: 1:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
May God grant d injured instant healing.
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by meee1: 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2013
God will save us all
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by yunglykmine(m): 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2013
Hmmmm!! Sad.
RIP cry
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by bizfirst: 1:18pm On Sep 05, 2013
Naija! And to think the building has an approved plan...My heart bleeds for the casualties...
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by waspa1(m): 1:19pm On Sep 05, 2013
R.I.P to the victims, hope this isn't end time tinz sha!

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Fishout(m): 1:20pm On Sep 05, 2013
Sorry o,rest in peace to dead's persons nd quickly recovery to injures ones
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Bizibi(m): 1:23pm On Sep 05, 2013
Where're those end time tinzz people?? Come out en-masse

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by dridowu: 1:26pm On Sep 05, 2013
RIP
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by CarterMula: 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2013
Small thing person go shout "End Time things". . That girl you they Bleep follow for "End Time Things"

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by odumchi: 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2013
Olisabuluwa nalu mkpulu obi fa. Ife a egosigo ife melu ekwesili ine ana anya ofuma tupu ewuba nya uno. O buro afu ana obuna ma nke di nma ma nke adiro asi ka ewuba uno na enu nya. Biko nu, unu welu ya nwayo.
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by farells(m): 1:35pm On Sep 05, 2013
Ehyaaa! Rip2thedead.jpg

AND ON D LAST DAYS BUILDING SHALL COLLAPSE.#TEAM ETT#

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by EazyJ(f): 1:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
God help us in dis country.#EndTymTinz

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by samuelkaykay(m): 1:38pm On Sep 05, 2013
Fake materials,unqualified contractor,greedy landlord,wicked world.Endtime is near!

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Metallurgist: 1:39pm On Sep 05, 2013
For many of us that are in the metal scrap bussiness knows alot of building will collaps in the future, the way cast iron(brittle in nature) is mixed in high proportion to steel scrap spells disaster for high building and unfortunatly the gov. Is doing little or nothing about it, but as the popular saying goes,END TYM TINZX

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Arysexy(m): 1:40pm On Sep 05, 2013
“It was a big surprise to all of us. We have noticed recently that work in the building was going on at a high speed.

“It is just a pity, what a huge financial loss. But thank God, no one was working in the building today and no one was injured in the incident,’’ he said

Nation newspaper and quack journalism. Who do we believe? D reporter or d eye witness dat said no one was injured or d reporter dat stayed in lag and assume 3 died?

1 Like

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Michelyr3(m): 1:49pm On Sep 05, 2013
Rip to who??@op na u die? Cos ur source na fake cos nobdy die..... But for d collapse building, am still at d site, its jst SIGNS OF END TIME TINS,.

#send to d site by TEAM .ET.T.

2 Likes

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Abagworo(m): 1:50pm On Sep 05, 2013
RIP to the dead. I've still not been able to understand Igbo people's love for 4 storey building or there about. I've once been a critique of the buildings which is noticeable in most Igbo towns and villages.

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by pbling: 1:54pm On Sep 05, 2013
inferior material
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by ifyfaith: 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2013
Something like this also happened last year at nkpor in onitsha where a five story building under contruction collapsed but no one died. It didn't happen during d raining season o, it just happened like dat people from our house rushed to see it cos it wasn't far from our house den it was said d government were going to take d land from d owner
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 05, 2013
prince_onx:
You just registered on this site yesterday and already beefing the Igbos today?
May Amadioha far-yah that your mouth there! We read/hear of this in almost all part of Nigeria so STFU!

No dont mind dem he will not be banned bc he is abusing igbos,
am not suprised dat all d MOD here r bigots n tribalistic now,last week i replied one stupid yorobaboy dat was abusing igbo here in a balanced thread,his comment was allowed to be even he got 11likes but i was ban for a week bc i replied him in similar style.
I know dat dey r all bigots n i dnt give a danm about bin banned here,as long as they allow some tribe to make tribalistic comments here while odas r penalize in defence of dia nation.
N.B. *BAN ME BUT IT CANT STOP ME FROM SAYING THE FACT SINCE ITS DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS.

7 Likes

Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by GenWOJUOLA(m): 2:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
RIP
Re: Three Killed In Onitsha After Four-storey Building Collapse by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
Abagworo: RIP to the dead. I've still not been able to understand Igbo people's love for 4 storey building or there about. I've once been a critique of the buildings which is noticeable in most Igbo towns and villages.

its commercial buildings,we prefer dem to dose ibadan n abeokuta mud houses n rusted zinc dat mek d landscape look like a slums

8 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Did Buhari Arrest Ojukwu? / Arrest Akpabio, Ekere Now For Electoral Offences - PDP / NNPCL Appoints Femi Soneye As Corporate Communications Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.