Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,224 members, 7,815,279 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:09 AM

My Train Experience - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Train Experience (4589 Views)

An Unhappy Train Experience From Enugu Railway (photos) / My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) / My Unforgettable Train Experience. Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Train Experience by Nobody: 9:21am On Sep 05, 2013
[b]Sometime ago we were excited to have a train experience in our lives. So we boarded a train from kaduna to lagos. To my shock and dismay, there was no train on ground, we were told d train was coming from kano and we'll join it. Worse still, the first class coach which we paid for was full, but we were told d train was stopping at offa, and we'll definitely get another train there with available first class coach. The nigerian Railway corporation is just too terrible! Wat was d point in payin for first class?? Those were d only coaches with comfortable seats and air condition (or sometimes fan!), with its windows still intact(the ones i saw anyway). I couldn't begin to imagine myself sitting in the second class with those hausa women and children who jam packed themselves like sardine. Funny thing was there were some empty seats around, but most decides to sit on the floor to avoid paying much. There was practically no place to pass, they had taken up every available space in the passageway. It was just too terrible! The smell and heat from bodies was terrible! One would think they hadn't taken a bath in days. There were practically almost no windows in the second class, i was lucky to have gotten a space with half of its windows still intact. I felt uneasy as i began to imagine if a heavy rainfall starts..we would practically be drenched as though we were under d rain directly, or the cold breeze at night with no window to give us warmth. The train itself looked over a hundred years..lol, very old looking and dilapitated. I was so determined to back out, but my aunt pleaded saying its part of life experience. seems she was on some project cos she was excited and kept writin down everything she saw down on a notepad. And dat made me more furious.
Pple kept fanning themselves furiously with anything. A fulani guy sat in my front and was doing all sort of dirty abominable stuff. I was getting nauseatic, i actually threw up at the next station..as a matter of fact i fell sick durin d journey.
On getting to d station in mokwa, niger state, the train waited for a an endless 6hours! angry we were told dat a train was coming from ibadan, so we were to wait for it to pass since dere was a rail crossing there. The waiting was terrible! A little boy had made a mess in my coach with his poo and i couldn't stand it, so like others i got down to rest, oh boy see dried shit everywhere on the railway, and some pple just sat there like its nothing. The same thing happened at oshogbo, we were also told to wait for a coming train conveying school children who were coming back from a train ride excursion sponsored by the governor of osun state. We waited for another 4hours! It was simply horrific. When we got to ilorin the train hit two cows on the railway, d fulani men herding d cows stood a distance watching us, crying bitterly like it was d death of a close relative! Weird. The train had stopped to check d damage, i was shocked when i saw matchete and knives coming out from different direction ready to cut some large chunks of meat from the poor dead cow! D fulanis saw this and through some kinda medium they were calling each other, it appeared they were trying to do some kind of 'juju'(not sure tho, but can't explain it), they were coming closer so the train officials and other guys who came down quickly got back on the train and off we went again. On getting to ibadan as well, the train hit a car parked on the railway (some pple could be so st.upid!).
Did i forget to mention dat niger state is a very very very big state and a very uncivilized state too?? We spent almost 9hours just in niger state alone! It is only in niger state i saw naked children and half dressed adult waving to the train like its their first time of seeing it(which is definitely not their first time).
it takes a luxurious bus 10hrs to get to lagos from kaduna, we left kaduna 2pm on friday and got to lagos sunday morning! It was my first time entering a train..but its gon be my last, in nigeria anyway.
[/b]
Re: My Train Experience by Lagusta(m): 10:20am On Sep 05, 2013
Sorry, I can't help but LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!! grin cheesy grin grin grin grin cheesy

What's the use of reviving the railway when it's not up to standard....

Somalia sef dey try...

1 Like

Re: My Train Experience by Vicjustice: 11:00am On Sep 05, 2013
booqee: [b]Sometime ago we were excited to have a train experience in our lives. So we boarded a train from kaduna to lagos. To my shock and dismay, there was no train on ground, we were told d train was coming from kano and we'll join it. Worse still, the first class coach which we paid for was full, but we were told d train was stopping at offa, and we'll definitely get another train there with available first class coach. The nigerian Railway corporation is just too terrible! Wat was d point in payin for first class?? I couldn't begin to imagine myself sitting with those hausa women and children who jam packed themselves like sardine. Funny thing was there were some empty seats around, but most decides to sit on the floor to avoid paying much. There was practically no place to pass, they had taken up every available space in the passageway. It was just too terrible! The smell and heat from bodies was terrible! One would think they hadn't taken a bath in days. I was so determined to back out, but my aunt pleaded saying its part of life experience. seems she was on some project cos she was excited and kept writin down everything she saw down on a notepad. And dat made me angry d more.
Pple kept fanning themselves furiously with anything. A fulani guy sat in my front and was doing all sort of dirty abominable stuff. I was getting nauseatic, i actually threw up at the next station..as a matter of fact i fell sick durin d journey.
On getting to d station in mokwa, niger state, the train waited for a an endless 5hours! angry we were told dat a train was coming from ibadan, so we were to wait for it to pass since dere was a rail crossing there. The waiting was terrible! A little boy had made a mess in my coach with his poo and i couldn't stand it, so like others i got down to rest, oh boy see dried shit everywhere on the railway, and some pple just sat there like its nothing. When we got to ilorin the train hit two cows on the railway, d fulani men herding d cows stood a distance watching us, crying bitterly like it was d death of a close relative! Weird. The train had stopped to check d damage, i was shocked when i saw matchete and knives coming out from different direction ready to cut some large chunks of meat from the poor dead cow! D fulanis saw this and through some kinda medium they were calling each other, it appeared they were trying to do some kind of 'juju'(not sure tho, but can't explain it), they were coming closer so the train officials and other guys who came down quickly got back on the train and off we went again. On getting to ibadan as well, the train hit a car parked on the railway (some pple could be so st.upid!).
Did i forget to mention dat niger state is a very very very big state and a very uncivilized state too?? We spent almost 9hours just in niger state alone! It is only in niger state i saw naked children and half dressed adult waving to the train like its their first time of seeing it(which is definitely not their first time).
it takes a luxurious bus 10hrs to get to lagos from kaduna, we left kaduna 2pm on friday and got to lagos sunday morning!
[/b]
Contrary to all these negative nonsense with Nigeria railway, come to Europe and see that train travel is indeed fun, efficient, reliable, safe, comfortable, conducive, punctual, fast, entertaining, amusing, spectacular, social and popular way to travel.
Nigeria, a disgrace of a nation ruled by evil entities who lack the sense of embarrassment

3 Likes

Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 05, 2013
Vicjustice:
Contrary to all these negative nonsense with Nigeria railway, come to Europe and see that train travel is indeed fun, efficient, reliable, safe, comfortable, conducive, punctual, fast, entertaining, amusing, spectacular, social and popular way to travel.
Nigeria, a disgrace of a nation ruled by evil entities who lack the sense of embarrassment

The country is truly a disgrace!

1 Like

Re: My Train Experience by zeelo2014: 3:34pm On Sep 05, 2013
Front page ooooo

1 Like

Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2013
NRC is really a mess. Though i'm certain there are a couple of new standard trains around, but it baffles me why they'd use old trains like dat for a long journey. I noticed the train conveying the students on the gov aregbesola - sponsored train ride excursion was a neat standard train..and they were just commuting btw nearby ibadan and oshogbo.
NRC needs to work on a lot of things. Some passengers were even sitting at the door entrance of d coach(of a moving train for God's sake!), i saw one guy feeling brave with himself, sitting on the seat-shaped back of the engine(i.e first coach)!, in open air..i didn't want to imagine if the train had a burp and probably the guy's concentration was somewhere else, he'd lose control and fall off the moving train to the ground. Dats will be terrible!
Poor management on d side of the corporation.
Re: My Train Experience by Godson201333(m): 7:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
Vicjustice:

when i argue with my friend back home that Nigeria is lacking and they cant meet the advanced countries level until Jesus comes,my friends were like i am a bad person...Imagine the level of Europe today,fast efficient light trains like plane..

Nigeria is just fucking lacking with those corrupt leaders...
Re: My Train Experience by soundtruth(m): 10:52pm On Sep 05, 2013
Godson201333:

when i argue with my friend back home that Nigeria is lacking and they cant meet the advanced countries level until Jesus comes,my friends were like i am a bad person...Imagine the level of Europe today,fast efficient light trains like plane..

Nigeria is just fucking lacking with those corrupt leaders...

don't bother arguing with them
Re: My Train Experience by Jharvey: 11:45pm On Sep 08, 2013
Lets agree there's no train service in Nigeria to talk about.

Unless if you think that trains are things that tern up when it suits them maybe one week late.
Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 8:17pm On Sep 09, 2013
Very interesting. Despite our leaders travel out and see the development in other countries, all they can give us is underdevelopment. Smh
Re: My Train Experience by Xxpress(m): 4:48pm On Sep 10, 2013
Point of correction, No luxurious bus will take u from lagos to kaduna in 10hrs.
Re: My Train Experience by yinkard4me(m): 7:38pm On Sep 10, 2013
Bukky Bukky... U for buy fura n nunu Keep for d long journey na. BTw, luxurious bus to lag is more dan 10hrs
Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 10, 2013
hmm..i dunno. The last time i went the bus left at around 8pm and got to kad very early in d morn. Didn't check d time but i figured it should be around 10hours or just a little more. Well..whatever smiley
Re: My Train Experience by illicit(m): 6:22am On Sep 11, 2013
am planning on going to ilorin by train now, never been on one. Anyone knows how much it costs?
Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 11, 2013
the fare is phucking cheap. Ilorin should not be more dan 500, it may even be less. I guess dat its only advantage. As at the time i went early dis year, luxurious bus to kad cost #5,500, while train fare cost just N1,200 or thereabout. A big difference of N4,300!. But tho if its first class it is about double of dat amount. And If its first class sleeper, its almost same with bus fare, but who needs dat. Anyway no matter how cheap it is i aint ever entering dat shiat again.

2 Likes

Re: My Train Experience by ideology(m): 7:01am On Sep 11, 2013
booqee: the fare is phucking cheap. Ilorin should not be more dan 500, it may even be less. I guess dat its only advantage. As at the time i went early dis year, luxurious bus to kad cost #5,500, while train fare cost just N1,200 or thereabout. A big difference of N4,300!. But tho if its first class it is about double of dat amount. And If its first class sleeper, its almost same with bus fare, but who needs dat. Anyway no matter how cheap it is i aint ever entering dat shiat again.
hi dear, pls do you know their station in Ilorin, want to visit lag this Dec, but would love the train experience. how you de and edo state?
Re: My Train Experience by illicit(m): 7:13am On Sep 11, 2013
booqee: the fare is phucking cheap. Ilorin should not be more dan 500, it may even be less. I guess dat its only advantage. As at the time i went early dis year, luxurious bus to kad cost #5,500, while train fare cost just N1,200 or thereabout. A big difference of N4,300!. But tho if its first class it is about double of dat amount. And If its first class sleeper, its almost same with bus fare, but who needs dat. Anyway no matter how cheap it is i aint ever entering dat shiat again.
really? So its dat fuggin cheap? No wonder ...... Well i will take 1st class den, i just want to be on a long journey train, i understand ur pain tho, been a gal dat trip must be awfully awful for u...... Pele dear
Re: My Train Experience by illicit(m): 2:30pm On Sep 18, 2013
@booqee do the trains have baths and toilets? and did u eventually got on the 1st class?
Re: My Train Experience by kadman(m): 2:53pm On Sep 18, 2013
I'm sorry about your horrible experince. I don't want to start abusing Nigeria's defunct system as I won't stop *sigh*

But trust me this won't be your last train experience. It's simply one of the best things in the world, see the countrysides and being on a fast speeding train and travelling such long distances without the hassle of checking into flight.s
This week past I took a train from Munich, Germany to Veinna, Austria - spent a night then Budapest, Hungary. 3 countries - it was amazing.

I added some picstures of the train I took from the train company's website.

I really doubt Nigeria would ever experince this, not in my life time anyway

Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 18, 2013
^yeah dats why i said it will be my last IN NIGERIA ONLY. I know its not like dat in d developed countries
illicit: @booqee do the trains have baths and toilets? and did u eventually got on the 1st class?
bath ke?? It was only toilets o. The first class toilet is manageable not dat its a state of d art stuff, just manageable, the second class own na rubbish. The one in d coach i first entered is practically empty and useless, pple just go dere to d pee, there just a hole through. An hausa man even slept there overnight angry to pay almost nothin at all and also because of the congestion. Everywhere was highly congested. And yeah i eventually got on first class, and dat one is better.

1 Like

Re: My Train Experience by ecolime(m): 2:00pm On Sep 19, 2013
Eh yah.. Sorry about your bad experience cry . I really love adventure and I have been longing to experience a train ride for the fun of it before the end of this year. Your experience just killed my fantasy. Really wish we could get things right in this country.
Re: My Train Experience by DisGuy: 2:17pm On Sep 19, 2013
no pictures??

we'll start banning people going on holidays without pictures in the Travel Section! come on it's 2013!! cheesy
Re: My Train Experience by DisGuy: 2:21pm On Sep 19, 2013
The most annoying this is - they spend so much on the rehabilition, one would think they can make an effort with the coaches

I mean people wouldnt mind if it take 3 days to get to lagos but atleast they will be comfortable
and i still dont understand why in 2013 they will allow those pit latrine
Re: My Train Experience by Xxpress(m): 7:03pm On Sep 22, 2013
@bukky, why cant i comment on ur thread my amigos.
Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 22, 2013
Xxpress: @bukky, why cant i comment on ur thread my amigos.
undecided hmm because you don't have permission to do so. Don't u know dats how the diary section is?? Comments are not allowed. Dats why its a diary. But i'm curious, what did you want to comment??
Re: My Train Experience by Xxpress(m): 9:10pm On Sep 22, 2013
booqee: undecided hmm because you don't have permission to do so. Don't u know dats how the diary section is?? Comments are not allowed. Dats why its a diary. But i'm curious, what did you want to comment??
i just want to chip in some words in. How can i get the permission?
Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 22, 2013
i said its not possible. The diary is like the poster's private cocoon. No ones's allowed to comment. I dunno how seun did it o. But i saw ur pm, and i replied ??
Re: My Train Experience by Xxpress(m): 9:32am On Sep 23, 2013
ok. Its interesting following ur diary.
Re: My Train Experience by Xxpress(m): 9:36am On Sep 23, 2013
The lost symbol is d same as da vinci code. Angels and demons is also a blockbuster novel. Have u watched the film the da vinci code?
Re: My Train Experience by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 23, 2013
Nah! lost symbols is not the same as da vinci code. I've watched da vinci code movie and the stories aint the same. I'm also lookin for d book da vinci code.
Re: My Train Experience by ochukoccna: 11:42am On Sep 23, 2013
Congratulations booqee on surviving your succide mission grin grin
What ever where you thinking girl shocked shocked
Seems you have been swallowing too much government propaganda of late angry angry
How can you mislabel what you took from Kaduna as a train? embarassed
Those metal coffins on rail tracks angry angry
If you love and value your life,PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE no repeat am O! cool cool
A word is enough for wise peeps
Re: My Train Experience by Xxpress(m): 12:10pm On Sep 23, 2013
i thought the books are the same. I have d ebook of da vinci code and angels and demons.

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Publicly Funded Colleges In Uk / Drone Views From Enugu (pics) / Mount Patti - Home To Lord Lugard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.