Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,663 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike (23859 Views)

Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike / NANS Close Niger-Bridge Over ASUU Strike / NANS Threatens To Join UniAbuja Protest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 5:13am On Sep 06, 2013
NANS threatens to shut down private varsities over ASUU strike

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) yesterday, protested in Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State capital, and threatened to shut down activities in the private universities in the country if the Federal Government failed to comply with the demands of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and the strike lingered.

The students who displayed several placards with various inscriptions, lambasted the Federal Government for its failure to honour the agreement it entered into with ASUU since 2009.

Speaking on behalf of his colleagues, Asafon Sunday, Director of Action and Mobilisation NANS, South–West, claimed between 2000 and 2011 the Nigerian government earned about N48.48 trillion from the sale of oil alone, against N3.10 trillion earned between 1979 and 1999

He said the Federal Inland Revenue Service, FIRS, in 2012 financial year alone generated N5.12 trillion from tax paid by the masses.

According to him: “With this tremendous upswing in the revenue at the disposal of the Nigerian government, one would have expected such to translate to commensurate improvement in the quality of Nigeria’s public education as well as other social services.”

He condemned the refusal of Federal Government to budget a reasonable amount of money to education sector as recommended by UNESCO which is 26 per cent of the country’s total budget.

Sunday noted that some countries with smaller Gross Domestic Product, GDP, like Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, Kenya, Morocco and Botswana had budgetary allocations to education sector as follow, 31 per cent,20 per cent,23 per cent ,17.7 per cent and 19 per cent respectively to 8.5 per cent that Nigeria government had budgeted for education in 2013.

Also speaking, Steven Adara ,a student leader from Ekiti State University, EKSU , lamented that government officials and prominent Nigerians were not bothered about the crisis in the public universities because their children were in private schools overseas.

According to him: “We will mobilise and disrupt academic activities in the private universities because it is the sons and daughters of the rich that are in these schools.”

Source

4 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by yunglykmine(m): 5:21am On Sep 06, 2013
NANS: Bunch of corrupt kids.
Always making empty threats,what about the 7days ultimatum they gave about this ASUU strike some weeks back?
Gone are the days when NANS was relevant jare.
They should have a seat plsss.

32 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by slap1(m): 5:22am On Sep 06, 2013
Arrant nonsense! They should go and look for their clothe where they had their bath abeg. Utter rubbish! Why not also go to the foreign universities where kids of politicians study and disrupt their studies?

When the strike was still fresh, NANS was busy paying irrelevant courtesy visit to Gov. Amaechi (I'm not anti-Amaechi) and pocketing good money, now it is coming out to spew garbage. Abeg make them find better idea or follow me wait for FG and ASUU to finish their fore-p|ay.

11 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Euroclydon(m): 5:30am On Sep 06, 2013
they should be very careful o... whats the meaning of that?
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 5:38am On Sep 06, 2013
Euroclydon: they should be very careful o... whats the meaning of that?

A signal of intent to declare class war methinks.
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by sammy329(m): 5:40am On Sep 06, 2013
All na wash, giving empty threat all about
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Burger01(m): 5:45am On Sep 06, 2013
What concerns private varsities over this matter
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by BadAttitude(m): 5:45am On Sep 06, 2013
Bad belle tinz...
Burger01: What concerns private varsities over this matter
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by solgee(m): 5:46am On Sep 06, 2013
Are they responsible for the strike?
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by BadAttitude(m): 5:46am On Sep 06, 2013
solgee: Are they responsible for the strike?

Bad belle tinz
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 5:57am On Sep 06, 2013
1st of all
Nobody borm them well

This is just an example of how Stewpeed these student union officials can be.

I know one who was a nans official right from when I got admitted,

I went to pick up my success letter and still found him around the university park leading a bunch of touts

what a shameful decision undecided
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by slap1(m): 6:04am On Sep 06, 2013
Imanuelle: 1st of all
Nobody bo them well

This is just an example of how Stewpeed these student union officials can be.

I know one who was a nans official right from when I got admitted,

I went to pick up my success letter and still found him around the university park leading a bunch of touts

what a shameful decision undecided
Most of them forget they are students and focus on politics. When their mates are about to graduate, they discover that their GPA is not funny. Some of them even have no GPA to speak of.
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Timcy01(m): 7:41am On Sep 06, 2013
Pls is NANS a political party cos I wonder what's wrong with them. They are all operating without focus. I tot they will be saying they are going to block the entrance to presidential villa, ministry of education, NUC or ASUU secretariat but as usual they are confused. Anyway they should pls rememba to also shut down foreign universities. Hahaha

But seriously I think students need to face NANS cos I tink they are part of the problem.

2 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Willgates(m): 7:55am On Sep 06, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by sureteeboy(m): 7:56am On Sep 06, 2013
wetin come concern Agbero for overload? or, how ASUU strike take concern private universities

2 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by searay(m): 7:58am On Sep 06, 2013
Jealousy. A sign of ... No! Fin des temps choses

1 Like

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by 80million1: 8:00am On Sep 06, 2013
Let me prepare a ROBUST REPLY!

1 Like

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by timiamoo(f): 8:01am On Sep 06, 2013
i support jo, y shud there b prv uni in d first place. let it b done, all student shud b ho
m, den fg wil knw wat to do
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by ABUGEORGE(m): 8:01am On Sep 06, 2013
Our education system is collapsing and students are at home while our president is busy fighting for 2015. Do jonathan even have conscience for d poor or student. Is a pity dat president dont have our time

3 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by delpharm(m): 8:01am On Sep 06, 2013
end time tinz.....................dazall
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Davo93(m): 8:02am On Sep 06, 2013
Some people are just foolish about ways they go fighting for their legitimate right... i won't be surprised if this guy and his unthinking followers find themselve in court later answering
a now legitimate charges that could land them in jail. I no sabi wetin concern private school with ASUU #MisplacedPriority
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Meringe(m): 8:02am On Sep 06, 2013
Notice mee!
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by 80million1: 8:03am On Sep 06, 2013
Davo93: fg
see your life
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Martiyu(m): 8:04am On Sep 06, 2013
well. dir z only one explanation for dz...I don't need to loud t cos It's fast becoming a cliche But I wish I could say....

4 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 06, 2013

Jelosi is not good. While they were busy gallivanting with ASUU on their strike, the private unis were completing their academic years and beginning new ones. Now they are jealous and want to shut them down. As if they have a say.
Nigeria is very funny.
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by 80million1: 8:05am On Sep 06, 2013
delpharm: end time tinz.....................dazall
You END TIME crusaders, abeg this thing is starting to get boring.
Pleeeease!

2 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by arimahoseloka(m): 8:05am On Sep 06, 2013
empty threats, they shouldnt forget nigerian defense academy were i school. they should come and disrupt our activities and see if they will go back with their legs.

9 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Hychineson(m): 8:07am On Sep 06, 2013
yunglykmine: NANS: Bunch of corrupt kids.
Always making empty threats,what about the 7days ultimatum they gave about this ASUU strike some weeks back?
Gone are the days when NANS was relevant jare.
They should have a seat plsss.
SHARRAP!!!

3 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by OCcool: 8:07am On Sep 06, 2013
searay: Jealousy. A sign of ... No! Fin des temps choses
the bolded means 'End Time Things'. Smart guy, wanted to use french to cover ur tracks abi? Lmao

7 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by GenWOJUOLA(m): 8:07am On Sep 06, 2013
Na jealousy dey catch dem? Abeg no be dem send ASUU on strike joor
Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by Hychineson(m): 8:08am On Sep 06, 2013
SimonAndal:
Jelosy is not good. While they are busy gallivanting with ASUU on their strike, the private unis were completing their academic years and beginning new ones. Now they are jealous and want to shut them down. As if they have a say.

Nigeria is very funny.
SHARRAP!!!!

6 Likes

Re: NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike by 2goodbobo(m): 8:10am On Sep 06, 2013
Martiyu: well. dir z only one explanation for dz...I don't need to loud t cos It's fast becoming a cliche But I wish I could say....

Lemme help you say it then....End Time Tinz

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Jamb 2015: Unilorin, Uniben, Unizik Leads List Of Most Popular Universities / Anambra Primary School Gives Goats As Gifts To Outstanding Students (Photos) / Oluwatoni Sanni On The List Of 1st Class Graduands At University Of Bristol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.