Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,463 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike (26360 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / NANS Close Niger-Bridge Over ASUU Strike / NANS Threatens To Shut Down Private Universities Over ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by airclipse(m): 8:15am On Oct 20, 2013
The ongoing strike of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU took a different turn on Saturday at the Dutse-Alhaji area of Abuja when a female student of the University of Abuja made to hang herself in protest of the nearly four months old strike.

The female student identified as Jane Okoro had already hanged herself, but fell off the ceiling while struggling, apparently because the rope she used was not strong enough.

Jane had sent her two younger brothers on an errand, just a way of sending them out of the house to be able to carry out the abominable act, but one of the brothers returned after 15 minutes and saw her on the floor with a rope tied round her neck while another rope dangled from the ceiling fan. The 15 year old boy raised the alarm, thinking that his sister was dead, attracting neighbours and other onlookers into their compound. However, it was discovered by those who got there first, that Jane was alive as it was only a suicide attempt.

The boy, who was identified as Andrew had told our correspondent that the sister was behaving so strange throughout that morning. He said, ” She was to go to the market with my mum, but said she was not feeling too well. While we were at home with her, she refused to talk. She was always on her Blackberry. Shortly after she had her bath, she sent us to First-Gate (market), but I left some money I wanted to use to buy my personal stuff at home, so upon return, I saw her on the floor of our parlour. I even thought she was dead, so I shouted.”

Meanwhile, the mother who returned from the market immediately after the news got to her had told our correspondent in tears that, her daughter must have attempted to commit suicide because of the ongoing ASUU strike. She said, I will ask her questions on why she wanted to do this to us. She has been complaining to me about this ASUU strike. She said, at her age, she should have been done with school, and begin to take care of the children and I. Her father is late. I know that only this week, she had complained to me up to 6 times on how frustrating this strike has been. I know other things may have contributed, but ASUU strike may have contributed the most; but for whatever reason, it was devilish for my daughter to have attempted suicide.” She said.

Asked what she was going to do about the situation, she said ” I will take her to my Pastor this evening. She needs prayers. We need somebody to talk to her. God will do the miracle for me. I didn’t do anything to anybody. I must not suffer for nothing. She is already in her third year in school. What would I have done if this had happened?”

Attempt to speak with Jane failed as she could not respond to questions from our correspondent. The only statement she muttered was ” It was a better option”.

The mother had later asked our correspondent to leave her to rest. She said ” she will talk to you after we see our Pastor. She will give the testimony herself.”

However, a female friend of Jane who had pleaded not to be mentioned showed our correspondent her recent conversation with Jane on her Blackberry. She said ” my last chat with her was on this very ASUU strike. See what she posted, ” I tire for these ASUU peopleoooo” She showed our correspondent the chat.
http://dailypost.com.ng/2013/10/20/ASUU-strike-uniabuja-student-attempts-suicide-says-it-was-a-better-option/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=ASUU-strike-uniabuja-student-attempts-suicide-says-it-was-a-better-option

2 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by striker9(m): 8:20am On Oct 20, 2013
Thank God the rope wasn't strong enough,frustration can leads to anything but suicide is never an option.ASUU make una free the students na biko.

2 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by RealAlfranco: 8:25am On Oct 20, 2013
This one is a strong something!!!
This girl attempted suicide cos of something else,and not da strike- da strike is da only excuse 4 a cover up!!!

34 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 8:32am On Oct 20, 2013
good for her.

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by oladoya(m): 8:38am On Oct 20, 2013
Ori e ni kope( her head no correct) tell me does your death stops GEJ from contesting in 2015? If you die tomorrow, next week ASUU will call off strike and your matric number will be forgoten, you better rethink. Emi ti gba kamu o.

16 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by ULSHERLAN(m): 8:39am On Oct 20, 2013
ASUU is losing its taste. The reason for the struggle is getting out of sense angry

5 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by tsleazy(m): 8:41am On Oct 20, 2013
Oh yeah baby- front page things at last....buhahahahahahahahahahahaha...by the way man united drew yesterday...lemme go and pee on baba lasisi's transformer...

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Gwekzy: 8:47am On Oct 20, 2013
ASUU make foot Dat gal problem big pass ASUU...she know wetin she do.. I no go even surprise if she no be student

4 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 8:50am On Oct 20, 2013
something else going on there...hope not lynpetra sha sad
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by ayodeji752: 8:58am On Oct 20, 2013
Her dead dad was d one calling her

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by bionicdude(m): 11:29am On Oct 20, 2013
d gal na confirmed mumu.if ASUU will make u want 2 commit suicide,den wat will other pple frustrated by jamb,waec,neco,nabteb,naija gov and every tin wrong in dis country will do.dat means almost d whole of 9ja would have committed suicide by now.sum pple don't value life.

6 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by airclipse(m): 1:23pm On Oct 20, 2013
bionicdude: d gal na confirmed mumu.if ASUU will make u want 2 commit suicide,den wat will other pple frustrated by jamb,waec,neco,nabteb,naija gov and every tin wrong in dis country will do.dat means almost d whole of 9ja would have committed suicide by now.sum pple don't value life.ehen i don 4get @op where d source na
I jes posted the source...
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by tunex23: 1:36pm On Oct 20, 2013
She get trailer load of carry over, probably another 4 extra yrs so her best option remains death!

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by christejames(m): 2:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
ASUU don suffer chaiiii cry on behalf of d studnt ASUU we say dibe! Inugo. Any slightest thing nw is accreditd to ASUU. Why was she struggling with the rope, suicide is the futile last resort. Thank God she didnt die anyway!!!

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by drealdoc89(m): 2:09pm On Oct 20, 2013
Gwekzy: ASUU make foot Dat gal problem big pass ASUU...she know wetin she do.. I no go even surprise if she no be student
u r on point

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by vcvibes(m): 2:14pm On Oct 20, 2013
airclipse: The ongoing strike of the Academic Staff
Union of Universities, ASUU took a different
turn on Saturday at the Dutse-Alhaji area of
Abuja when a female student of the University
of Abuja made to hang herself in protest of
the nearly four months old strike.
The female student identified as Jane Okoro
had already hanged herself, but fell off the
ceiling while struggling, apparently because the
rope she used was not strong enough.
Jane had sent her two younger brothers on an
errand, just a way of sending them out of the
house to be able to carry out the abominable
act, but one of the brothers returned after
15 minutes and saw her on the floor with a
rope tied round her neck while another rope
dangled from the ceiling fan. The 15 year old
boy raised the alarm, thinking that his sister
was dead, attracting neighbours and other
onlookers into their compound. However, it
was discovered by those who got there first,
that Jane was alive as it was only a suicide
attempt.
The boy, who was identified as Andrew had
told our correspondent that the sister was
behaving so strange throughout that morning.
He said, ” She was to go to the market with
my mum, but said she was not feeling too well.
While we were at home with her, she refused
to talk. She was always on her Blackberry.
Shortly after she had her bath, she sent us to
First-Gate (market), but I left some money I
wanted to use to buy my personal stuff at
home, so upon return, I saw her on the floor of
our parlour. I even thought she was dead, so I
shouted.”
Meanwhile, the mother who returned from the
market immediately after the news got to her
had told our correspondent in tears that, her
daughter must have attempted to commit
suicide because of the ongoing ASUU strike.
She said, I will ask her questions on why she
wanted to do this to us. She has been
complaining to me about this ASUU strike. She
said, at her age, she should have been done
with school, and begin to take care of the
children and I. Her father is late. I know that
only this week, she had complained to me up to
6 times on how frustrating this strike has
been. I know other things may have
contributed, but ASUU strike may have
contributed the most; but for whatever
reason, it was devilish for my daughter to have
attempted suicide.” She said.
Asked what she was going to do about the
situation, she said ” I will take her to my
Pastor this evening. She needs prayers. We
need somebody to talk to her. God will do the
miracle for me. I didn’t do anything to anybody.
I must not suffer for nothing. She is already
in her third year in school. What would I have
done if this had happened?”
Attempt to speak with Jane failed as she
could not respond to questions from our
correspondent. The only statement she
muttered was ” It was a better option”.
The mother had later asked our correspondent
to leave her to rest. She said ” she will talk to
you after we see our Pastor. She will give the
testimony herself.”
However, a female friend of Jane who had
pleaded not to be mentioned showed our
correspondent her recent conversation with
Jane on her Blackberry. She said ” my last
chat with her was on this very ASUU strike.
See what she posted, ” I tire for these ASUU
peopleoooo” She showed our correspondent the
chat.
SOURCE : daily post
dailypost.com.ng/2013/10/20/ASUU-strike-uniabuja-student-attempts-suicide-says-it-was-a-better-option/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=ASUU-strike-uniabuja-student-attempts-suicide-says-it-was-a-better-option
why u com 1st me post am na
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by vcvibes(m): 2:15pm On Oct 20, 2013
airclipse: The ongoing strike of the Academic Staff
Union of Universities, ASUU took a different
turn on Saturday at the Dutse-Alhaji area of
Abuja when a female student of the University
of Abuja made to hang herself in protest of
the nearly four months old strike.
The female student identified as Jane Okoro
had already hanged herself, but fell off the
ceiling while struggling, apparently because the
rope she used was not strong enough.
Jane had sent her two younger brothers on an
errand, just a way of sending them out of the
house to be able to carry out the abominable
act, but one of the brothers returned after
15 minutes and saw her on the floor with a
rope tied round her neck while another rope
dangled from the ceiling fan. The 15 year old
boy raised the alarm, thinking that his sister
was dead, attracting neighbours and other
onlookers into their compound. However, it
was discovered by those who got there first,
that Jane was alive as it was only a suicide
attempt.
The boy, who was identified as Andrew had
told our correspondent that the sister was
behaving so strange throughout that morning.
He said, ” She was to go to the market with
my mum, but said she was not feeling too well.
While we were at home with her, she refused
to talk. She was always on her Blackberry.
Shortly after she had her bath, she sent us to
First-Gate (market), but I left some money I
wanted to use to buy my personal stuff at
home, so upon return, I saw her on the floor of
our parlour. I even thought she was dead, so I
shouted.”
Meanwhile, the mother who returned from the
market immediately after the news got to her
had told our correspondent in tears that, her
daughter must have attempted to commit
suicide because of the ongoing ASUU strike.
She said, I will ask her questions on why she
wanted to do this to us. She has been
complaining to me about this ASUU strike. She
said, at her age, she should have been done
with school, and begin to take care of the
children and I. Her father is late. I know that
only this week, she had complained to me up to
6 times on how frustrating this strike has
been. I know other things may have
contributed, but ASUU strike may have
contributed the most; but for whatever
reason, it was devilish for my daughter to have
attempted suicide.” She said.
Asked what she was going to do about the
situation, she said ” I will take her to my
Pastor this evening. She needs prayers. We
need somebody to talk to her. God will do the
miracle for me. I didn’t do anything to anybody.
I must not suffer for nothing. She is already
in her third year in school. What would I have
done if this had happened?”
Attempt to speak with Jane failed as she
could not respond to questions from our
correspondent. The only statement she
muttered was ” It was a better option”.
The mother had later asked our correspondent
to leave her to rest. She said ” she will talk to
you after we see our Pastor. She will give the
testimony herself.”
However, a female friend of Jane who had
pleaded not to be mentioned showed our
correspondent her recent conversation with
Jane on her Blackberry. She said ” my last
chat with her was on this very ASUU strike.
See what she posted, ” I tire for these ASUU
peopleoooo” She showed our correspondent the
chat.
SOURCE : daily post
dailypost.com.ng/2013/10/20/ASUU-strike-uniabuja-student-attempts-suicide-says-it-was-a-better-option/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=ASUU-strike-uniabuja-student-attempts-suicide-says-it-was-a-better-option
why u com 1st me post am na
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by LMAyedun(m): 2:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
I don't blame her...
We the students of UniAbuja have only spent 3months in school from Jan till now(April, May & June 2013) due to the accreditation Crisis we had from Nov 2012 which resulted to the closing down of our school for about 4,5months.. We resumed April 2013 to write the 2nd semester exams.

UniAbuja students are more affected by this ASUU strike... Year 2013 is a wasted year (academically) for UniAbuja students.

Jane, Suicide won't solve it... Remember, Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

8 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by kennyonthrone(m): 2:24pm On Oct 20, 2013
Upe!al I knw b say igbo folks no d Commit suicide y she no go find thick suicidal rope,its stil an attempted suicide....abeg mk una tel me anoda story nd of al tinz 2 die 4 is ASUU strike.MTCHEWWW

D part d mom said she go kari am go gv dia pastor gat me crackin
Janyluv I advice u 2 go nd Marry nd 4gt abt ASUU nd dia mata.
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
Let her say d truth. Its not about d strike

3 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by free2ryhme: 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
una sure say na because of ASUU strike she hang herself?

Abi anoda tin no follow for this matter.

So she wan kill herself for ASUU abi..

You are on your own
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by owolabifunke14(f): 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2013
The babe na nairaland member?.We could have lost a member.This strike should be called off for Godsake
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Siga: 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
...Trying to commit suicide wont fix the crisis....
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Elxandre(m): 2:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
can anybody be this daft
you want to kill yourself permanently cos of a temporary strike?
what would she have done if finances stalled her education like me?
she would rather kill herself than commit sucide grin

13 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by COvo(m): 2:27pm On Oct 20, 2013
Nonsense! She never know where dey pain her.She for just die like fowl,why?ASUU.Na people like her dey drink Hypo because of boy.
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by dasparrow: 2:28pm On Oct 20, 2013
@Post

ASUU should stop this strike so that these students can go back to school. What kind of country is this? I feel sorry for the future generations of this nation. Please those of you who can afford to send your kids to other countries to study, kindly do so.

2 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 20, 2013
Real_Alfranco: This one is a strong something!!!
This girl attempted suicide cos of something else,and not da strike- da strike is da only excuse 4 a cover up!!!
gbam. Every trouble maker is takin advantage of d ASUU strike as their reason

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by bocin500(m): 2:28pm On Oct 20, 2013
Its obvious(or so it seems) to everyone who has made a comment, that the said lady has some other issues she is battling with and not just ASUU. Although, I must confess, the strike action is begining to lose its original intent. God help my country.
Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by emmawiz: 2:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
She needs deliverance 4rm satans torment

1 Like

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by naijathings(m): 2:30pm On Oct 20, 2013
ok... to the rest of you contemplating suicide by means of hanging. please use a car seatbelt... i hate seeing such news where the rope cuts off and now they are talking of her giving a testimony for a suicide wey she for don tidy properly..
[size=16pt]very dumb chic. wanna kill herself for a strike .. not even smart enough to get a good rope for her own suicide.[/size]

19 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by Bigcake: 2:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
Somebody shld check d status of her relationship wit her boyfriend, the paddy fit dong break her heart.

2 Likes

Re: Student Attempts Suicide Over ASUU Strike by jboy01(m): 2:33pm On Oct 20, 2013
nawa o. why i dey struggle learning new things everyday, somebody dey complain about ASUU. It better student try to learn something tangible during dis strike than wasting time at home. Some people has been doing KASUN KAJI KAJEUN NIG LIMITED since july.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

23 Federal Universities Get New Governing Councils — Full List Of Chairpersons / 60-Year-Old Farouk Sanni Bags First Class In Sociology From UI, Wins 8 Awards / Courses That Might Turn Your Passion Into Compassion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.