Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,605 members, 7,823,628 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Coding To Your Top 5 Priorities - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Coding To Your Top 5 Priorities (685 Views)

Top 5 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Blogging / Your Top 5 Nigerian Everyday Websites / Hand Coding And Dreamweaving. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Coding To Your Top 5 Priorities by yawatide(f): 3:08pm On Jun 16, 2008
Having experienced something in recent times with respect to my work, I decided to throw this out to the forum.

Whenever you get a job from a client and they want everything including the kitchen sink, how do you approach it, especially when you are pressured to release something within a relatively short period of time? Do you offer to give them all they want (which more likely than not translates to working 25 hours a day, and snapping at anyone who as much as says hi to you, to get it done)? Do you resist? What do you do?

What I have learned is that its best to, just like in life, have a scale of preference. If I am faced with a tight deadline, I tend to ask the client what must absolutely go out on day one and rank them in decreasing order of importance. I then sit with the client and say, "hey, I would love to get all these done by launch date however I would hate for the quality of work to suffer for want of proper detail. Why don't we do this - I will tackle the first 5 (or whatever number I feel I can get done) on your list and over the following weeks, ease in the rest. If you insist, I will get all this done by the time you want but I would strongly advise that you go with my approach. Besides, the beauty of the net is unlike say MS where they come out with a CD and you have to wait for a year for an update, with the web, you can literally add new functionality to your site daily."

Again, from experience, there might be a little apprehension but I think when they see the maturity in your approach, 99% usually agree with me with little or no resistance.

Bottom line, just like in life as I said earlier, it is good to prioritize your requirements. It is then and only then that the quality of your work will shine.

Your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: Coding To Your Top 5 Priorities by olush0la(m): 7:23am On Jun 18, 2008
Beautiful post. Enlightening, I like the part where you say " Unlike MS, " I'm an avid Apple Mac user myself, so you understand my amusement.
Re: Coding To Your Top 5 Priorities by smartsoft(m): 3:22pm On Jun 18, 2008
hahahahaha good post, at the end of the day, you tell them that here is the fee for such project at the end of the day they will tell you, one guy under the bridge did this thing for 10,000, haaaaaaaaaaaaaa and u tell them, why not give the same guy who did it for 10,000 for your friend??

What you will hear is "well, the guys has traveled" is that no sick huh ?
Re: Coding To Your Top 5 Priorities by ThePhantom(m): 9:49am On Jun 19, 2008
Agree with smartsoft. (Not in does terms. smiley )

If they want something in a short period make them pay more (Much more). when you are 12 hours into the project, just remind yourself the amount of money you are going to make.

(1) (Reply)

Only A slowpoke Wouldn't See This: / Hey Guys!, The Death Of Networkmarketing: / Html Online 1.1.0 Released!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.