Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

Pig Or Grasscutter Farming- Which One Is More Profitable - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Pig Or Grasscutter Farming- Which One Is More Profitable (3399 Views)

Grasscutter Farming In Nigeria-Mr Ismail in Action / Hotel Or Private School: Which Business Is More Profitable? / Do You Know About Grasscutter Farming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pig Or Grasscutter Farming- Which One Is More Profitable by Nobody: 8:14am On Sep 08, 2013
I am, at present, doing research on pig and crasscutter farming. I work (self-employment) in a service sector and contemplating moving gradually into agriculture (livestock). As a research person, I value practical hands-on experience than any e-book (e-books are also very useful, don't get me wrong). I have finally decided to choose between pig farming or grasscutter farming.
I have very limited fund (about N150,000).Hope of securing loan may not be feasible now.
Aside the money stated above, I also have the following:
2 (50 x 120ft) plots of land
About 4000 blocks
2 normal tipper-size loads of gravel
1 load of sharp sand
I intended using the land for building but decided to try farming on it.
With these, and your knowledge and experience on the proposed farming, which of them will you recommend?
The land is situated in a semi-urban area in Ogun State.
What are the technicalities associated with raising each livestock? How marketable are they and structure of the market?
Please I need expert opinion most especially from people that are into the business. I believe that this info will help me and other people looking for what to invest in. Thanks
Re: Pig Or Grasscutter Farming- Which One Is More Profitable by femiseun1: 10:30am On Sep 11, 2013
Pig farming is far better than grass-cutter farming in terms of the following:

1. Market Value and revenue generation of matured Pigs cant be compared to the grass-cutter.
2. Population expansion of the animals within a short period. Pigs give birth to an average of 5 - 12 piglets twice a year
3. Growth rate is very high in pigs i.e. within 4- 6 Months your animals are ready for the market.

In feeding, grass-cutter is very cheap to feed unlike the pig.
Housing is a major factor in piggery and its expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Or Grasscutter Farming- Which One Is More Profitable by Nobody: 10:37am On Sep 11, 2013
femi_seun: Pig farming is far better than grass-cutter farming in terms of the following:

1. Market Value and revenue generation of matured Pigs cant be compared to the grass-cutter.
2. Population expansion of the animals within a short period. Pigs give birth to an average of 5 - 12 piglets twice a year
3. Growth rate is very high in pigs i.e. within 4- 6 Months your animals are ready for the market.

Thank you and god bless you.

How marketable are pigs?
Re: Pig Or Grasscutter Farming- Which One Is More Profitable by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 11, 2013
femi_seun: Pig farming is far better than grass-cutter farming in terms of the following:

Thank you for your response.

How marketable are pigs?
Re: Pig Or Grasscutter Farming- Which One Is More Profitable by femiseun1: 10:56am On Sep 11, 2013
Marketing of pigs involves networking with existing farmers who are members of agric cooperative societies and abattoirs. Most existing farmers and marketers who have been in the business know the merchants who buy from various parts of the country and west Africa. U can also sell to new farmers, abattoirs and private buyers.

Pls Note: Nobody will know what you are selling if you operate in isolation so you will do the leg work too and network quickly.

Currently it is N280 per kg

(1) (Reply)

Loan For Small Scale Enterpreneur / The Best Place To Open A Chemist Shop / What Kind Of Business I Can Invest 1 Million Into

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.