Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,606 members, 7,851,062 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:55 PM

Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! (27946 Views)

Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / President Jonathan Commissions Phase 1 504MW Alaoji Power Station, In Abia- Pics / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Lipso: 10:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
Nigeria with her present level of corruption and indiscipline that may last for another 1000 years is not fit to have such a facility within and around herself.Nigeria find it extremely difficult to manage a mere mechanical power station,Nigeria find it extremely difficult to run or manage
a mere petroleum refinery.Do Nigeria know what a nuclear power station is?If fighting Boko Haram is impossible I think Nigeria managing or
containing a Nuclear disaster ....hmmmm no words for it.Nations like USA,FRANCE,GREAT BRITAIN,CANADA,CHINA,INDIA,JAPAN and RUSSIA
are places where there are high discipline,perfection in general and when it comes to nuclear power station management,the discipline and
perfection is put at a 100% gear level. Despite their 100% every second alert attitude they still find it difficult to contain nuclear power station
disaster when it happens.Do Nigeria remember New York nuclear power station disaster in the early 197..,Russia could not contain its own disaster,Russia had to seek for American help because the disaster was beyond their experiences.Thousands died at that time and Russia
evacuated a lot of its citizen from several towns that are even hundreds of miles from where the disaster occurred.You talk of India nuclear
power station disaster....thousands died and now Japan;how many times now in Japan and you know how discipline the Japanese are.Nigeria
is too spoil to have such a dangerous thing.Go solar nation wide instead.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 10:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Lipso: Nigeria with her present level of corruption and indiscipline that may last for another 1000 years is not fit to have such a facility within and around herself.Nigeria find it extremely difficult to manage a mere mechanical power station,Nigeria find it extremely difficult to run or manage
a mere petroleum refinery.Do Nigeria know what a nuclear power station is?If fighting Boko Haram is impossible I think Nigeria managing or
containing a Nuclear disaster ....hmmmm no words for it.Nations like USA,FRANCE,GREAT BRITAIN,CANADA,CHINA,INDIA,JAPAN and RUSSIA
are places where there are high discipline,perfection in general and when it comes to nuclear power station management,the discipline and
perfection is put at a 100% gear level. Despite their 100% every second alert attitude they still find it difficult to contain nuclear power station
disaster when it happens.Do Nigeria remember New York nuclear power station disaster in the early 197..,Russia could not contain its own disaster,Russia had to seek for American help because the disaster was beyond their experiences.Thousands died at that time and Russia
evacuated a lot of its citizen from several towns that are even hundreds of miles from where the disaster occurred.You talk of India nuclear
power station disaster....thousands died and now Japan;how many times now in Japan and you know how discipline the Japanese are.Nigeria
is too spoil to have such a dangerous thing.Go solar nation wide instead.

You are largely uninformed and ignorant, there is Nuclear Reactor already in Nigeria since 2004.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 10:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

You are largely uninformed and ignorant, there is Nuclear Reactor already in Nigeria since 2004.

In my country the university has one since 1960 so that is not a big deal that a university have somthing like that
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Lamasta(m): 10:41pm On Sep 08, 2013
As the risk is high so also the benefits also but my problem is do we have the scientists to manage it well cos any slight mistake, IT WILL BE GOOD TO AVOID STORIES THAT TOUCH THE HEART.............
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 10:41pm On Sep 08, 2013
ogb5: Too many ignorant people on NL forming expert on things they know nothing about.

Do you people know that Nigeria has had a nuclear reactor for decades? and we are not dead

Are you kidding me? Nuclear reactor in nigeria for DECADES??!! Who are these people on NL?

And please don't tell me about research reactor because school kids play with CONSORT at imperial college during their excursion trips. We are talking Nuclear Reactor for power plant churning out about 4500MWth!!!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
Bros, the Sun's effect on skin cancer is quite minimal due to the melanin pigment we have as blacks but it wouldn't be so for whites. That's a plus for us. However, depletion of the ozone layer has increased the probability and proportion of skin cancer.

Nigerians are too careless and that is what we are saying here. It is not safe for us to have a nuclear reactor in Nigeria with population of ignorant and illitrates in the conuntry, anything could happen, coupled with the spate of poverty and hunger ravaging the country which could lead a medical doctor to vandalize oil pipelines.

shockedshockedshocked
Billyonaire:

Cancer is everywhere my brother, even the solar flares from the sun can cause cancer to inhabitants of an entire region when exposed to it.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 10:53pm On Sep 08, 2013
All i beg is that of nuclear waste management. Nigerians are too corruptly heartless that they can bypass safty procedure for money gain. And D repercusion is like aids(HIV) in this nuclear side. Radioactive is too dangerous to handle, dont mind western propraganda of safty of nuclear waste. They percentage safty is nt 100.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

It might surprise you to know that Nuclear Sources are the safest sources of Electricity globally. More people have been killed by Gas Plants, even Dams have claimed more lives that Nuclear Plants/Reactors.

There has been two accidents only (correct me if I am wrong), since the advent of nuclear for power generation.

Japan's example was caused by Earthquake and Tsunami, and those two natural disasters CAN NOT occur in Nigeria.

The fear is sentimental and borne out of ignorance of Nuclear Science.
you keep making reference to ƬђΞ fukushima plant in japan.. Agreed it was as a result °ƒ ƬђΞ earthquake.. You seem to ignore d chenobyl incident which is by far ƬђΞ worse.. Maybe you really need to enlighten us on ƬђΞ cause °ƒ ƬђΞ chernobyl incident itself.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 08, 2013
Yes, Fukushima and Chernobyl happened due to natural disaster and human negligence respectively, however, there are thousands of safe nuclear reactors everywhere in the world. Even after the Chernobyl incident, that didn't stop Ukraine from the using the remaining three nuclear plants for its energy needs.

I guess due to the environmental degradation caused by oil exploration/exploitation, we should also stop using and selling our crude oil, yes? If Nigeria is to advance, industrialise and mingle with the big boys - it has to go nuclear. Oil and gas only can't supply Nigeria's energy needs. I just wonder why most Africans just read one or books and think I know everything, yet they wonder why the continent is in the doldrums. Those who're behind the initiative have already done the required research before embarking on it, keep your doomsday theories to yourselves. Life's all about taking risk and there's no easy way to advancement.

Off topic:

I was reading about America's new doctrine of ''Air-Sea Battle' against China in the pacific earlier today. And I came across things like: Low Earth Orbit (LEO) ISR [information, surveillance and reconnaissance], Space-Based Infrared System (SBIRS), third-generation Infrared System (3GIRS) sensors and communications satellites, sea lines of communication (SLOCs) etc. as part of what any confrontation would be about - before the use of proper military hardware. Then I started wondering if any African country has those capabilities.

However, how can we compete when we always moan about every darn thing that would enhance our advancement? Yet we cry when we're being sidelined. Everything isn't about roads and food - with industrialisation and technological advancement - all those things would be achievable with ease. That's something to ponder about by higher minds - not shallow thinkers who think education/intelligence is all about reading one or two book and parroting bollocks.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by collynzo2(m): 11:14pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija:

A nuclear plant needs a lot of water, and the North of Nigeria is rather dry.
Almost All our dams are situated in the north. Ignorance
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
Kairoseki77: You can mismanage a refinery, no problem.
You can mismanage a airline, 200 people die.
You can mismanage the roads, thousands die.

Mismanage a NUCLEAR POWER PLANT:

[img]http://politicalfilm.files./2011/04/battle-of-chernobyl-8.jpg[/img]

[size=20pt]NO THANKS RUSSIA!!![/size] shocked
that is simply the truth! With nigeria mindless attitude, u cant open a nuclear power station yet until corruption is dead o! 2, u here wht russia said? We are only arguing abt oil, oil, where dose the revenue 4 uranium, gold, diamond, steel go to? One or two alöne of this mention is D source of revenue in other countries.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
I didn't want to dump unnecessary gobbledygook on us here before. but its like "billyonaire" and his PDP gang won't listen. Nuclear power no fit naija! Expensive experiments with radiation easily leads to one eyed babies, conjoined twins, people with 5 legs etc. Here are the cons as best as I can explain them in lay-speak. we all know the pros:

1. The cost of building a nuclear station goes into several hundreds billions of dollars. And it is never a fixed one. Nuclear energy is the most expensive source of energy, financial and otherwise. The cost of nuclear waste disposal no be here o!

2. The manpower and technical knowhow would have to be imported wholely from Russia, don't mind what rossisk says. Ask the stakeholders.

3. It is impossible to fully get rid of nuclear wastes. The countries with NPPs either bury the wastes on land or dump them in seas thereby destroying the ecosystems and aquatic life of such dumpsites. Radioactive wastes are still active after thousands of years. Therefore, those places would be uninhabitable.

4. Risk to humans...Every human endeavour entails considerable risk, even eating is risky. But cancer is horrible. NPP workers and their families are exposed to what is called in Health Physics ionizing radiation. There are two possible radiation effects-- 1. stochastic effects(probability effects, based on increased level of exposure) eg cancer, genetic mutation etc. 2. Non stochastic(based on severity of radiation) eg radiation poisoning, burns, etc.
Thats for NPP workers alone o, now consider all these for Radioactive elements miners, their families and the host community too.

5. Most countries touted on this thread and elsewhere to be nuclear powers have stopped building new reactors. There's been a paradigm shift. Some countries are even closing down NPPs, Germany comes to mind.

6. Ah Boko haram? Nuclear plants are easy targets for terrorists. Or better still, some eccentric people would just wake up one day and start yarning "resource control" for nuclear site, like billyonaire people them. They may have even attempted to "bunker" the fuel rods before we know sef.

7. There are actually safer sources of energy. Natural gas, biomass etc.

8. We have a poor maintenance culture in Nigeria. it is no secret in the industry that most of the power stations are still being repaired and managed by the foreigners that built them when they go bad. The time it would take the Rosso to arrive Muritala, Nigeria go done burn if na nuclear station.

Finally, I went through the trouble of writing all this stuff because one cannot trust this government, they may just be using this medium to feel our beats. Make una shine una eyes o!

Yours sincerely,
olu_kenzo.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx: Yes, Fukushima and Chernobyl happened due to natural disaster and human negligence respectively, however, there are thousands of safe nuclear reactors everywhere in the world. Even after the Chernobyl incident, that didn't stop Ukraine from the using the remaining three nuclear plants for its energy needs.

I guess due to the environmental degradation caused by oil exploration/exploitation, we should also stop using and selling our crude oil, yes? If Nigeria is to advance, industrialise and mingle with the big boys - it has to go nuclear. Oil and gas only can't supply Nigeria's energy needs. I just wonder why most Africans just read one or books and think I know everything, yet they wonder why the continent is in the doldrums. Those who're behind the initiative have already done the required research before embarking on it, keep your doomsday theories to yourselves. Life's all about taking risk and there's no easy way to advancement.

Off topic:

I was reading about America's new doctrine of ''Air-Sea Battle' against China in the pacific earlier today. And I came across things like: Low Earth Orbit (LEO) ISR [information, surveillance and reconnaissance], Space-Based Infrared System (SBIRS), third-generation Infrared System (3GIRS) sensors and communications satellites, sea lines of communication (SLOCs) etc. as part of what any confrontation would be about - before the use of proper military hardware. Then I started wondering if any African country has those capabilities.

However, how can we compete when we always moan about every darn thing that would enhance our advancement? Yet we cry when we're being sidelined. Everything isn't about roads and food - with industrialisation and technological advancement - all those things would be achievable with ease. That's something to ponder about by higher minds - not shallow thinkers who think education/intelligence is all about reading one or two book and parroting bollocks.

Those enhanced radiation weapon system scares me to death, we could some day destroy Earth, same way we destroyed Mars and come down here.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:22pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

Those enhanced radiation weapon system scares me to death, we could some day destroy Earth, same way we destroyed Mars and come down here.

That's the struggle for domination. However, Africa and Africans are still crying about food and roads, rather than seeking ways to compete with the rest of the world. Yet we have tons of scientists of African origins - who're part of all these technological advancements.

We need to start being progressive because it seems food is the only thing we care about.

China was like Africa less than 30 years ago, however, they had to compete. Look at where China is today. Iran is also making progress and it should be hanging with the owners-of-world in the next few years.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
"Nigeria is one of the largest producers of uranium. Around seven per cent of the total uranium is concentrated in Nigeria. Therefore, interest in this country is not accidental. Until recently, there was a major player in France, and the French mining companies were active there."

I believe they mean NIGER Republic NOT Nigeria. Niger is one of the worlds largest producers of Uranium and is a former French colony
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:31pm On Sep 08, 2013
ghananotnaija: If it is built, build it in the East of Nigeria, as far away from Ghana as possible, because it's guaranteed to have a major malfunction. With all the ignorance and corruption in Nigeria, I would be surprised if the Nigerian plant workers don't try to steal safety infrastructure or even uranium fuel rods, it's a train wreck just waiting to happen.

How do you kill a lot of Nigerians? Build them a nuclear power plant and staff it with typical corrupt Nigerians.
guy nt a joke o, they will steal such things and poison themselves and the place they smuggle it through.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ToyinDipo(m): 11:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
I just want to chip in this, even if I have not clearly gone through what you all are arguing about. Nuclear reactor for power generation is not what Nigeria needs now, we have natural gas resources lying fallow. Honestly, what have we succeeded in maintaining in Nigeria except corruption. If Russians or whoever build a nuclear reactor for us today, by next year, due to negligence and carelessness, the nuclear plant may create atomic bombing scenario.#selfdestruct
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:

That's the struggle for domination. However, Africa and Africans are still crying about food and roads, rather than seeking ways to compete with the rest of the world. Yet we have tons of scientists of African origins - who're part of all these technological advancements.

We need to start being progressive because it seems food is the only thing we care about.

China was like Africa less than 30 years ago, however, they had to compete. Look at where China is today. Iran is also making progress and it should be hanging with the owners-of-world in the next few years.

Shymexx you err. I believe you should know better than this. Nigerians by virtue of the misrule we have suffered in the hands of our past and present leaders still have needs at the bottom of Abraham Maslow's famous triangle aka the hierarchy of needs. What do you expect of a people who barely manage to survive living on < 1USD a day?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 11:34pm On Sep 08, 2013
The problem of nigeria is the different tribes and the religion.

When nigeria become a country where it is not probleme to be a yorouba or a ibo or a housa, when it makes no problem if you are a christian or a muslim. When this so called great man of god sell ther private jet and understand what economic is. That it is better to put all the money to generate jobs and not to put money that the pastors get richer than nigeria can go the way china went.

But with a great man of god who want more pastors because pastors bring food on the table and pastors who didnot preach about sew money without working hard than nigeria is on the right way, but i know this will not happen in the next 10 years.

Nigeria is a country where the people belive that god print money and every body in nigeria will become a millionair without working hard.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
naijaking1:

Lagos will be a good location. It will supply western Nigeria, Togo, Benin, Ghana, Songhai, and Timbuktu!
shie lagos is a business attraction site, it will be good there. U knw wrong Location kills business, so it will good to be inside lagos or middle of SW states.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by collynzo2(m): 11:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
I've seen many people put up suggestions here, but no one seems to mention coal. Here is a list of some of the countries that have coal as their number 1 source of electrical power.
USA - 46%
China - 69%
Uk - 42%
Germany - 41 %
South Africa 93%
Poland - 87%
Australia -78%
Kazakhstan - 75%
India - 68%
Israel - 58%
Czech Rep - 51%
Morocco - 51%
Greece - 54%

In summary almost 50% of electricty in the world is gotten from coal power plants, we can't pretend to be serious if we don't harness coal energy.
With alternative sources of energy like wind, solar, hydro, gas, nuclear all in place, a country like USA still generates almost half of its electricity from coal, that should tell us something.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 11:40pm On Sep 08, 2013
collynzo2: I've seen many people put up suggestions here, but no one seems to mention coal. Here is a list of some of the countries that have coal as their number 1 source of electrical power.
USA - 46%
China - 69%
Uk - 42%
Germany - 41 %
South Africa 93%
Poland - 87%
Australia -78%
Kazakhstan - 75%
India - 68%
Israel - 58%
Czech Rep - 51%
Morocco - 51%
Greece - 54%

In summary almost 50% of electricty in the world is gotten from coal power plants, we can't pretend to be serious if we don't harness coal energy.
With alternative sources of energy like wind, solar, hydro, gas, nuclear all in place, a country like USA still generates almost half of its electricity from coal, that should tell us something.

We dont have coal, we have only water and solar and wind and we sell our eletricity to other coutries because we have to much, i am proud of my country.

america is not this good country, as it looks.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by collynzo2(m): 11:40pm On Sep 08, 2013
People don't realise that gas power stations cannot solve the power problems of a huge country like Nigeria. You can hardly find a gas turbine that produces more than 100MW of electricity. Serious countries have single Coal-fired power plants generating 5000MW and above for them. Relying on gas is a HUGE joke.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by collynzo2(m): 11:41pm On Sep 08, 2013
nora544:

We dont have coal, we have only water and solar and wind and we sell our eletricity to other coutries because we have to much, i am proud of my country.

america is not this good country, as it looks.
I hope this is a joke.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by scientology(m): 11:44pm On Sep 08, 2013
we cant manage water boards na nuclear....i pray cossy orisjafor will be in charge
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:45pm On Sep 08, 2013
collynzo2: People don't realise that gas power stations cannot solve the power problems of a huge country like Nigeria. You can hardly find a gas turbine that produces more than 100MW of electricity. Serious countries have single Coal-fired power plants generating 5000MW and above for them. Relying on gas is a HUGE joke.

You are right, relying on Gas Turbines is a huge joke. Coal and Nuclear Energy is the way out of this energy quagmire.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by GatJokez(f): 11:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
Sammyelgen: You seem to ignore d chenobyl incident which is by far ƬђΞ worse.. Maybe you really need to enlighten us on ƬђΞ cause °ƒ ƬђΞ chernobyl incident itself.

I thought I'd pitch in and find some info on what caused Chernobyl incident. According to an article about this very question the reactor was not maintained properly due to which when an emergency shut down was performed because of confusing alerts, an explosion was caused. I am giving super cliff notes version. The link below provides all the detailed info.

http://atomicinsights.com/accident-at-chernobyl-caused-explosion/
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
olu_kenzo :

Shymexx you err. I believe you should know better than this. Nigerians by virtue of the misrule we have suffered in the hands of our past and present leaders still have needs at the bottom of Abraham Maslow's famous triangle aka the hierarchy of needs. What do you expect of a people who barely manage to survive living on < 1USD a day?

Yes, Nigerians/Nigeria has suffered misrule. However, food should be the least of our problems with large arable lands we're blessed with. The problem is the mentality and everyone trying to be what they're - add the rural to urban migration to that.

That being said; we need to rid ourselves off this innate attitude of trying to talk down everything that would enable our advancement as a people based on simplistic tosh that no serious minded person should care about.

The question is: how many of the advance/top countries are able to meet their energy needs without going nuclear? The answer is none.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 11:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
collynzo2: I hope this is a joke.

no this is no joke, we realy get our energy from water, and solar and wind and we have only 3 power plant with coal for the winter times when we need more energy but we sell our energy to germany and french.

I live in an small country in the middle of europa. We have a nuclear power plant who was build and we say no to this kind of energy.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 08, 2013
There are tons of nuclear scientists of naija origins out there scattered across the globe.

So that shouldn't be a problem for them
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 11:50pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:

Yes, Nigerians/Nigeria has suffered misrule. However, food should be the least of our problems with large arable lands we're blessed with. The problem is the mentality and everyone trying to be what they're - add the rural to urban migration to that.

That being said; we need to rid ourselves off this innate attitude of trying to talk down everything that would enable our advancement as a people based on simplistic tosh that no serious minded person should care about.

The question is: how many of the advance/top countries are able to meet their energy needs without going nuclear? The answer is none.

sorry that is not tru, we have no nuclear energy plant, and we belong to the richest countries in the world. I live in one of the cities with the best living in the world so we dont need it
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
nora544:

sorry that is not tru, we have no nuclear energy plant, and we belong to the richest countries in the world. I live in one of the cities with the best living in the world so we dont need it

What's the size of your country and the population?

This is about grade-A countries not tourist countries with less than 3 million people.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

DSS Arrests Sambo Dasuki / Nigerian civil society leader, Innocent Chukwuma is dead / Jimi Agbaje Picks Funsho William’s Running Mate As Deputy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.