Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,332 members, 7,829,846 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! (27916 Views)

Nigeria Picks Kogi, Akwa Ibom For Nuclear Power Plants / President Jonathan Commissions Phase 1 504MW Alaoji Power Station, In Abia- Pics / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ba7man(m): 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Yes the victims of Fukushima and Chernobyl do know that the fears were over dramatised

Anyway, if a fire breaks out on the 9th floor in a building tell me what will happen in this "new" era
Highly developed, efficient and spohisticated nations like Russia and Japan struggled to contain the Nuclear accidents they experienced.

I just wonder how Nigeria would deal with that kind of situation.

Those advicing that it be built in the arid regions in the North forget that the staffs still need to have their residence close-by.

Also, if there's an accident by mistake, the radiation will simply follow the winds downwards to the South.......what do you think Harmattan is all about??

That Harmattan will be bloody.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ghananotnaija(m): 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
As honestly as the record-setting Kweku Adoboli?

Well, I wouldn't go that far, but definitely honest by Nigerian standards.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
hahaha
You did by Nigerian standard

Replace "others" with countries with regard for human life

It is not mature to argue for arguing sake. Argue to learn more and fight the fears. It is the reason we are on this forum.

You can take that, to the bank.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by BetaThings: 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: ooo really? Why?
Oh, so you are from Southern Cameroon
Anyway, we are discussing given that we have the rights to speak
I will continue with you when you are granted independence. I don't want to cause some problems for you with your master
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2013
ba7man: Highly developed, efficient and spohisticated nations like Russia and Japan struggled to contain the Nuclear accidents they experienced.

I just wonder how Nigeria would deal with that kind of situation.

Those advicing that it be built in the arid regions in the North forget that the staffs still need to have their residence close-by.

Also, if there's an accident by mistake, the radiation will simply follow the winds downwards to the South.......what do you think Harmattan is all about??

That Harmattan will be bloody.

Plants can be built at inhabitable regions of the country, thousands of Kilometers away.

Plants built, manage and supervised by Russians and electricity deployed and sold to bulk traders.

Most Nigerians, will only see the plant in pictures for all their lifetimes.

Fear mongering is why we are where we are.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Confusion: 9:12pm On Sep 08, 2013
zetdee: Jeez alot of ignorance in this thread, everybody seems to know about nuclear energy from Hollywood and general pop culture. On the link below you can read up on nuclear energy and see that it's actually safest and most progressive power generation method in the world. The technology has improved alot since chernoble.

www.world-nuclear.org/info/Safety-and-Security/Safety-of-Plants/Safety-of-Nuclear-Power-Reactors/

Thanks a million for the site
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
What happened to harnessing for power generation the gas that is being flared at bonny island? We have not being able to harrness that. Nigeria is still a country that eats food only in season . We have not being able to effectively store perishables when they in season so we can have access to them out of season. My point is the solution to our problems is within Nigeria. We would get to the point when nuclear power would be needed, which should be when all other options have bin exhausted and running at full capacity. You don't solve a problem by sweeping the current problem under the carpet.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 9:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
You don't know about chernobil, and the problems they have until today, that cancer is very high is this part of the ukraine.

I know this and my country still help this children, because that is what we can do.

The company that owns the nuclear pwer plant in japan didnot tell the truth for a long time, they say they have no problem.
I know very much about this.

I live in a free country where we get all the news and i read very much so i know about the problems what nuclear power could bring to a country and that it is better to look for an other way to get power.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ghananotnaija(m): 9:14pm On Sep 08, 2013
Well, I think we've all been missing the point here. Whether or not this would be a good idea, and where to build the nuclear reactor, we have to resort to the traditional Nigerian way of making important decisions: consult TB Joshua and the other prophets.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by hawai50(m): 9:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
Trouble is sleeping, Nigeria is disturbing trouble
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Good points
And to decimate them too. But I suggest we put the burial site in your village
BTW no neighbouring country will allow it. It is just a few hours for the fall out to get to London

Numbnut!! The guy who said the average IQ of Nigerians is borderline ret.arded never told a lie, to be honest. Most of you just read crap and run with it, however, when it comes to discerning the message and critically analysing it - you always tend to hang.

You lot need to stop parroting Fukushima and Chernobyl everywhere, if you don't know what actually happened. I dare say nuclear energy is arguably one of the safest, if not the safest source of energy.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 08, 2013
BetaThings:
Oh, so you are from Southern Cameroon
Anyway, we are discussing given that we have the rights to speak
I will continue with you when you are granted independence. I don't want to cause some problems for you with your master
we are already independent, and unlike u we fought for it ..now when u Beta will liberate yourself and your people from your Arab masters? Stop living in bondage.
Answer the question why is northern Nigeria volatile? Northern Cameroon ain't volatile
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
Confusion:

Thanks a million for the site
don't buy the hype and the propaganda, they are trying to get rid of those things all over Europe...they want u to buy ...
Besides it is something to install and another thing to maintain and manage
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 9:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

My dear, I have done all that research, Yes, we can "own" a nuclear power for peaceful purposes ONLY. And last I checked, Electricity Generation is PEACEFUL PURPOSE.

I'm not contesting the peaceful purpose argument that you are pushing here. However, I'm surprised that your research failed to point out that we don't have a national grid transmission network that can support nuclear power plants. Ever heard of LOOP? It's the biggest contributor to core damage frequency from PSA analysis.

Can we discuss technicalities or are we just into small talks on NL?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 9:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
shymexx:

Numbnut!! The guy who said the average IQ of Nigerians is borderline ret.arded never told a lie, to be honest. Most of you just read crap and run with it, however, when it comes to discerning the message and critically analysing it - you always tend to hang.

You lot need to stop parroting Fukushima and Chernobyl everywhere, if you don't know what actually happened. I dare say nuclear energy is arguably one of the safest, if not the safest source of energy.

you know nothing, you don't know how it is to live with this problem when something happen. I have to live with this problem with a child. When i was told not to go out for more than 2 hours because it could be dangrous, when you have to look that your child didnot drink milk because to much milk was dangrous only one glas of milk per day was okay and this for a child who was not 3 years old , where you have to look from what part of the world the food come. Where farmers could not sell the fruit because it was dangerous.

I see Kids fromn the Ukraine whio have cancer, and it is germany and my coun try who still help them,

Nuclear power plant okay what you will make after some years when you have to change the ful rod, you are dangrous for more than 10 000 years, where you will put them.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ebenezerola(m): 9:28pm On Sep 08, 2013
So this our leader wanted to kill us all with nuclear power plant, all this our big men go run and then leave us to die but i'm not against it ooo, but they should build it at there backyard. Before then go build it, make i comot for this unreliable country, everywhere corruption, common education den no fit manage am well not to talk another thing. Mtcheew
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
Agreed and I know that lead wall is the best protection again radiation. But do you think that Japan didn't use a lead wall? What went wrong?

You and I know Nigerians aren't good managers when it comes to government owned property.

Take our schools, hostpitals, roads etc for example and tell what their conditions represent?

If we can't handle something as little as this basic infrastructures, what is the guarantee that we can handle a Nuclear Power Plant?

I am glad you studied physics indepthly and that makes you ahead of me because I only studied it at secondary school level, but I do understand the basics perfectly well.

I also know what high doses of radiation can cause...

If not for the ozone layer, you would agree with me that we exposed to some sort of radiation from the sun which in itself can result to skin cancer not let alone a nuclear reactor.

Bros, me never wan die oh. U don turn billionaire me sef wan become trillionaire before I die oh shockedshockedshocked
Billyonaire:

I studied much about Nuclear Physics with specialty in nuclear fusion and fission. I also expanded my research to Isotopy, Entropy etc.

Fear is borne out of ignorance, lead wall is one of the best protection against radiation, I can only assume that people's fear is borne out of their ignorance of the dynamics of nuclear energy and its derivatives.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:33pm On Sep 08, 2013
nues aweso:

I'm not contesting the peaceful purpose argument that you are pushing here. However, I'm surprised that your research failed to point out that we don't have a national grid transmission network that can support nuclear power plants. Ever heard of LOOP? It's the biggest contributor to core damage frequency from PSA analysis.

Can we discuss technicalities or are we just into small talks on NL?

We do not have, we are working on everything. We are capable of having. It is not rocket science.

We are going nuclear so all those things will be in place.

Nuclear is the safest source of electricity.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 9:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

We do not have, we are working on everything. We are capable of having. It is not rocket science.

We are going nuclear so all those things will be in place.

Nuclear is the safest source of electricity.

Thanks for the response.

My problem is Nuclear shouldn't be in the power equation for naija. Countries go for nuclear power to achieve energy supply diversity, after achieving 1) Availability, 2) Reliability and 3) Robustness. We need to achieve 1, 2 & 3 before we think Nuclear.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:38pm On Sep 08, 2013
2s£xy:
Agreed and I know that lead wall is the best protection again radiation. But do you think that Japan didn't use a lead wall? What went wrong?

You and I know Nigerians aren't good managers when it comes to government owned property.

Take our schools, hostpitals, roads etc for example and tell what their conditions represent?

If we can't handle something as little as this basic infrastructures, what is the guarantee that we can handle a Nuclear Power Plant?

I am glad you studied physics indepthly and that makes you ahead of me because I only studied it at secondary school level, but I do understand the basics perfectly well.

I also know what high doses of radiation can cause...

If not for the ozone layer, you would agree with me that we exposed to some sort of radiation from the sun which in itself can result to skin cancer not let alone a nuclear reactor.

Bros, me never wan die oh. U don turn billionaire me sef wan become trillionaire before I die oh shockedshockedshocked

It might surprise you to know that Nuclear Sources are the safest sources of Electricity globally. More people have been killed by Gas Plants, even Dams have claimed more lives that Nuclear Plants/Reactors.

There has been two accidents only (correct me if I am wrong), since the advent of nuclear for power generation.

Japan's example was caused by Earthquake and Tsunami, and those two natural disasters CAN NOT occur in Nigeria.

The fear is sentimental and borne out of ignorance of Nuclear Science.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 9:40pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

It might surprise you to know that Nuclear Sources are the safest sources of Electricity globally. More people have been killed by Gas Plants, even Dams have claimed more lives that Nuclear Plants/Reactors.

There has been two accidents only (correct me if I am wrong), since the advent of nuclear for power generation.

Japan's example was caused by Earthquake and Tsunami, and those two natural disasters CAN NOT occur in Nigeria.

sorry you are wrong when you think that are two accidents only but there are more but the problem was that some don't come out and and there are some small ones also, i know about this.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
nora544:

sorry you are wrong when you think that are two accidents only but there are more but the problem was that some don't come out and and there are some small ones also, i know about this.

You are incorrect my brother. No nuclear accident is small, and none goes unreported.

Statistics of death cause by all Energy sources are documented in most countries that use nuclear energy.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nuesaweso(f): 9:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

Dude, I appreciate your efforts in pushing Nuclear Science awareness however when you cite examples for nuclear accidents, be aware that Design basis accidents vary from country to country depending on site-specific hazards. Are you aware of the thermal runaway phenomenon, and how this could impact nuclear reactors in hot regions?
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by mrvictor: 9:43pm On Sep 08, 2013
Thank God it's not China!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by SUBMARINE: 9:47pm On Sep 08, 2013
@MODERATOR Pls tell the FG to site it in Sokoto or the west end of Ogun. But anywhere near Igboland, no way. If FG try am na war be that.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by collynzo2(m): 9:50pm On Sep 08, 2013
Coal still remains the no 1 source of electrical energy in the world, we should focus on developing coal power.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by nora544: 9:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

You are incorrect my brother. No nuclear accident is small, and none goes unreported.

Statistics of death cause by all Energy sources are documented in most countries that use nuclear energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield

what is about sellafield you don't know about this place in UK there was the first accident with nuclear power plant and the goverment of Uk dont tell anything until they found out that many people in this part of Uk get cancer.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by collynzo2(m): 9:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
As for those rambling on about Gas turbine, how many gas stations produce more than 100 MW of electricity? How many do we need to solve our electricity problems? Serious countries like US, China, Germany, South Africa, UK etc do not rely on gas for electricity, coal is the way forward!
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by ogb5(m): 9:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
Too many ignorant people on NL forming expert on things they know nothing about.

Do you people know that Nigeria has had a nuclear reactor for decades? and we are not dead
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 08, 2013
nora544:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sellafield

what is about sellafield you don't know about this place in UK there was the first accident with nuclear power plant and the goverment of Uk dont tell anything until they found out that many people in this part of Uk get cancer.

Cancer is everywhere my brother, even the solar flares from the sun can cause cancer to inhabitants of an entire region when exposed to it.
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 10:01pm On Sep 08, 2013
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo nuclear
Nooooooooooooooo
Re: Nigeria Partners Russia To build A Nuclear Power Station! by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
ogb5: Too many ignorant people on NL forming expert on things they know nothing about.

Do you people know that Nigeria has had a nuclear reactor for decades? and we are not dead

Yea, most people dont know we have Nuclear Reactor at Ahmadu Bello University...LOL, yet people dont die there.

A nuclear reactor can produce up to 4,000 MegaWatts of electricity, but 10 gas plants hasnt given us that already.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

21 Aspirants Jostle For Kogi Governorship APC Ticket [see Full List Inside] / Sanwo-Olu, Hamzat And Others Inspect Ikeja BRT Terminal, Igando Housing Estate / Sheikh Gumi: Bandits Require Money, Land Compensation To Stop Killings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.