Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,436 members, 7,823,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! (1441 Views)

Youths Unemployment: Reps Urge FG To Declare Emergency In Labour Sector / Enugu Chamber Of Commerce And Industry - Youths Unemployment. / Gov. Amaechi Tackles Youths Unemployment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 17, 2008
Coiled from The Guardian Newspaper, Nigeria 17th of June, 2008

Ondo compiles unemployed youths' data

AS part of its commitment to tackle the problem of unemployment among youths in Ondo, the state governor, Dr. Olusegun Agagu has ordered the compilation of the statistics of all unemployed youths in the state, with the hope of providing them employment within the next few months.

Already, a committee saddled with the responsibility had been set up to gather relevant details, including educational qualifications.

The Commissioner for Youths and Sports Development, Prince John Ola Mafo, who made this known recently while addressing reporters at a press conference, said that the department of Youths Development in his ministry was handling the compilation.

According to him, government was set to compile a compendium, containing names and credentials of unemployed youths in order to reduce the poverty level in the state, saying that more youths would be employed by the administration in addition to the number that had been engaged in various youth programmes in the state.

His words: "The youths in the state are accorded priority under the various empowerment schemes launched by the state government, while some of them had been sent on various training within and outside the country to broaden their knowledge."

Continuing, he said: "This gesture is part of the policy of the Agagu-led administration, which would go a long way in reducing poverty in our land. Let me also say that all those being recruited into the civil and teaching service as well as local governments are youths who are not more than 30 years of age."

Besides, he said the action was a deliberate policy to ensure that some of the youths that have the required qualification are employed and allowed to make a career in the public service.

He stressed that since the state youth policy was adopted and published in 2005, the state government has ensured that subventions were paid to about 250 youth organisations that were registered with the state government.

The commissioner further disclosed that some of the unemployed youths that were interested in sporting activities were encouraged through payment of allowances during weekend camping and were being trained and assisted to get offers within and outside the state.

Mafo noted that the sum of N3.8 million has so far been released by the state government to the state chapter of the National Youth Council of Nigeria as grants to assist in some of its activities.

He added that for provision of essential services at the permanent NYSC camp, Ikare Akoko, over N224 million had been expended to cover rehabilitation of dilapidated hostels, building of new hostels to accommodate more members and sinking of boreholes among others."

How I wish other States could show more concern for her Patriotic citizens and focus more on her youths! I'm sure it's going to make a whole lot of difference. We need a change! And a drastic one for that matter, let there be concerted efforts towards youth empowerment.
Or what do you think?
Re: Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 17, 2008
I wish Governor Fashola could borrow a leaf and do likewise.

Eko o ni baje
Re: Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by MethodMan3(m): 7:40pm On Jun 17, 2008
fingers crossed on the outcome of this move
Re: Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On Jun 17, 2008
Method-Man:

same here!
Re: Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by oldie(m): 8:18pm On Jun 17, 2008
And what happens when the the public service becomes top-heavy in future?
Self employment would have been a better alternative, I think
Re: Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 18, 2008
Method-Man:

You're not incorrect, looking at the kind of government we have, but to me, I see it as a remarkable move which is quite impressive!. At least every good thing begins with a step forward and not backward!

Looking at the situation of things around us in Nigeria, It's so saddening that we have leaders that care-less for her youths! Politics has been privatised and only the rich gets in there. sad. The faithful ones with good course do not get up there. . .I think, We, the youths are supposed to stand for our Rights and if EMPLOYMENT is the only thing the government owe us, they must realise that they've got to pay. The statistics of unemployed youths in Lagos State alone is alarming not to talk of NIGERIA as a whole. Is there not a cause, that her supposedly future-leaders are impoverished and no one seems to care?

And that is why I see the initiative of Ondo State Government as a good start, and let's hope for the best. (The fact that some of us have a job shouldn't make us cry less for our fellow citizens who are less priviledged & unemployed). . . . .Our equal rights must be protected and respected by law if trully we are in government that honours the rule of law. Atleast, let our present government do something about it. sad
Re: Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by SkyBlue1: 11:28am On Jun 18, 2008
@Olowotee i don't mean to discourage you and i desperately hope such a venture proves fruitful, i really do. However i just feel obliged to inform you that such was done in Port Harcourt also, i hope this one is genuine and proves fruitful.
Re: Tackling Youths Unemployment. . Ondo Took A Bolder Step! by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 18, 2008
oldie:

And what happens when the the public service becomes top-heavy in future?
Self employment would have been a better alternative, I think
Self-employment isn't a bad idea at all, but a very good alternative to the present menace (unemployment) that we face in this country. And, every right-thinking youth would know that sometimes, it pays to be self-employed! But, not everyone can be self-employed.  undecided  grin

(1) (Reply)

Ogun State, Super Den Of Ritualists / Attorney General Goofs In Court / Abdulmutallab: Nigerians In Uk Live In Panic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.