Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,220 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga (1071 Views)

Maku Vs Almakura: More Drama As Inec Fails To Present Witnesses In Court! / Controversy Trails Appointment Of Substantive AGF / Drama Trails Scrapping Of First Lady Titles, Offices In States-Daily Trust (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by LeStylo: 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
Mr. Afolabi Adewole Jimoh is the controversial Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) candidate in Offa Local Government in the last Saturday’s re-run election in Kwara State. He came out in the open to counter his party’s claim that he won in the poll. He had since become the first in the Nigerian political history to refuse a freely given victory in an election, throwing away the sumptuous spoils of a political office even when others would stop at nothing to grab such opportunity, rightly or wrongly given.

Though PDP later disowned him on the grounds that he had ceased to be its member and was no more a candidate in the election, his name still featured in the Kwara State Independent Electoral Commission (KWASIEC) list of candidates for the election.

But the PDP’s main rival in the poll, the All Progressives Congress (APC) will not take kindly to the claim, as it clutches the official list of the KWASIEC to prove that it actually won in the council election.

The matter has since become more dramatic with the PDP parading another person in the name of Kanarudeen Olagunju Olalekan whose name is said not to feature on the KWASIEC list for the election but who PDP would want to claim the rejected victory.

Jimoh’s victory rejection declaration

“ I am Afolabi Adewole Jimoh, the candidate of PDP in the last Saturday’s election for Shawo South West ward. In all the eight polling units in my ward (Shawo SouthWest) the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) lost, while All Progressives Congress (APC) won convincingly in all the polling units in the rerun election held on 31st of August, 2013. As a citizen of this great town of Offa, I know full well that the town stands for equity and justice. To me, I know that we shall give account of all our acts on this earth one day.

“On that day there will be no influence from anybody, be it Oba, governor, leader, elder, father or mother, you will be left alone with your deeds. In this wise, I have resolved not be partaker of getting what is not mine from anybody at all. In Offa, in Kwara state and in Nigeria as whole. As a native of this town, I don’t wish my town a bad thing. If something like this continues to happen and we decide to cover it up for one reason or the other, if not now, in future we surely account for it.

“It is very good for us to call a spade a spade anywhere we see it. By doing this you are helping yourself and others. In the interest of peace and justice in Offa and Kwara state, KWSIEC should release the authentic results of the last Saturday council poll in Offa.

“The people of Offa have said that they don’t want PDP. It is clear that Offa people want APC. It is clear also that Offa people don’t want PDP. The election is a test for both APC and PDP. Test for PDP to right the wrongs by checking out what it is that the people don’t want in PDP. What is it that they (PDP) have been doing that make the people hate them. For the APC that won, it should check itself and examine what it has been doing that makes it acceptable in Offa.”

His encounter with Sunday Mirror:
But the way you speak, how are we sure you are not an APC agent planted in the PDP, paid to do this hatchet job to discredit the PDP, the opponent of APC?

I am not paid and I am never a member of APC. I did not collect money from anybody to do what I am doing now. APC people are here; ask them if I collect anything from them. I am a Muslim and I know the teaching of our prophet, Mohammed (SAW). He said we should not take what does not belong to us. I did not win that election and they announced that I won. PDP did not win in my unit and in all the units in Shawo South West ward. I advise every other person to have the fear of god and come out to say the truth., I don’t have money but I know money will come when God wants mew to have. People should fear God please. So that is my own.

Are you not afraid of what could happen to you the way you have come to expose things during the election?

No, I am not afraid. I am not afraid of anybody but Almighty Allah. He is the one who gives us life and will take it, when it pleases Him. He’s a big liar, says PDP

However, at a press conference addressed by the PDP to counter Jimoh’s claims, Kamarudeen Olagunju was paraded by Prince Yemi Afolayan, Secretary of the PDP who said Jimoh had for two years defected from the party and so could not have been PDP’s candidate in the re-run election. Olagunju who looked uncomfortable throughout the press briefing, was taken up by journalists at the end of the conference and it went thus:

What is your name?

My name is Olalekan Kamarudeen. The councillor for Shawo South West. There is a contention that you are not the PDP candidate for this election? I am the PDP candidate for the election.

When did you become the candidate?

As from—– (looks confused and could not remember but an official of the state PDP interjected by and answered for him…“He is not the one that should answer that question. The Offa L.G PDP chairman should answer that question.”

One Alhaji Rabiu Goke who is the Offa LG chairman then quipped and said, “With the direction of the PDP Exco, we were given a directive that we should quickly conduct primaries. He contested for that position among the executives in the ward and he came first. That is how he became the flagbearer of the party in that election. Then, the series of questions continued:

In the list of councilors which you displayed, during the election was his name there?

Rabiu Goke: Yes.

We have a statement from APC that the name of the person there (KWASIEC list) is Mr. Afolabi Jimoh Olawole, the man that rejected his victory?

Rabiu Goke: No. No. It is not true. When KWASIEC displayed the list, we wrote to them through the state secretary of the party that they should make the necessary corrections immediately. They said based on the judgment given to them, they could not alter the names. Then, other journalists on hand threw more questions at Kamarudeen:

You were adjudged the winner of that election. What did you score? How many votes did you score?

Kamarudeen:…..(He remained silence) The PDP state officer then interjected and said; “He cannot take the questions. Go to KWASIEC. He is not the person that should answer that question.” And he herded Kamaruldeen away.

http://nationalmirroronline.net/new/more-drama-trails-offa-victory-rejection-saga/
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by LeStylo: 12:24pm On Sep 09, 2013
PDP! Power to the People
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by Kairoseki77: 12:27pm On Sep 09, 2013
Surprised this isn't on FP.

This is blatant criminality.
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2013
See blatant twisting of the truth,all to hold on to one councillorship seat..PDP has to go for Nigeria to move forward..
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by LeStylo: 12:48pm On Sep 09, 2013
MOD, Front page please!!!!
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by musaajebor(m): 1:14pm On Sep 09, 2013
They wanna push us to d wall.they wanna b assassinated out of office.ok.
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by truth4meal(m): 1:26pm On Sep 09, 2013
Free and fair election being flaunted as an achievement of GEJ is nothing but a shadow in the dark. Common 36 Governors vote was rigged in favour of the lesser so a councillor election will be an easy ride...whateva happens to jona's goodwill is uncasing the true nature of him
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by AkamuandStew: 1:31pm On Sep 09, 2013
grin grin
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by alaoeri: 3:04pm On Sep 09, 2013
This is part of the things we shld expect come 2015, PDP has no good whatsoever to offer this country.
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by AdmYamamoto: 3:35pm On Sep 09, 2013
Oh God bless this man! It is interesting that a PDP, Yoruba man is the FIRST in the history of Nigeria or maybe Africa to reject a fraudulent electoral mandate! Kudos to this man! These are the types of people Nigeria needs but won't Nigerians cut off their noses to spite their faces and come back to cry on NL??

1 Like

Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by sunstyle(m): 3:47pm On Sep 09, 2013
i thank Almighty God 4 mr Afolabi's life 4 saying d truth and still stand by it unlike d other pdp members. May God continue 2 protect and bless mr Afolabi 4 saying d truth.q
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by MayorofLagos(m): 4:23pm On Sep 09, 2013
The suspended census chairman, Odimegwu, had a similar encounter with someone in Niger State who was very truthful and exposed wrongdoings in his LG relating to headcount. The chairman gave this guy a job as an aide..

I would like Jimoh to be similarly rewarded. If we genuinely want to clean up we should make people like this models of national character.
Re: More Drama Trails Offa Victory Rejection Saga by Nobody: 7:16pm On Sep 09, 2013
but nawao! how come dat Kanaruudeen of a person dey always get confused and kept mute weneva askd questns? grin

(1) (Reply)

Political Maths Proof That PDP>APC / Damme Patients Jonathan' Am A Shamed Of Her Voice To De Glober World! / 72year Old Billionaire Businessman, Emmanuel Iwuanyanwu Marries A 26year Old Gir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.