Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators (15966 Views)

Levy For Governor’s Perfume: Rivers Women Protest / NERC Increases Electricity Tarrifs, Scraps Fixed Charges   / Presidency To Spend N654.02m On Generators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by amyg(f): 12:05pm On Sep 10, 2013
They are all thieves nd other stories. cry
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by BigBen10: 12:19pm On Sep 10, 2013
nerodenero: Ban the total importation of generators completely and let us see if PHCN's numerous problems wont be fixed. Imagine Aso Rock in darkness!!!

Baba, they go still sneak generator for themselves oh
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by ogaju007(m): 12:22pm On Sep 10, 2013
moshoodn: Still on still.....

I'll always love my country no matter how thrashed up she may be now.

God abeg, intervene small for Naija matter.

Typical!!! what has this got to do with the discussion?
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by dainvincible(m): 12:25pm On Sep 10, 2013
Leopantro: don't know if I should swear or laugh.
Hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha.... I jst laff.... I jst tire o
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by chucky234(m): 12:43pm On Sep 10, 2013
What do you expect from a clueless Ph. D holder with void brain,can someone help drum it to GEJ ears that constant power supply would drastically reduce or completely put an end to the importation of generating sets while extorting N25,000 per unit of 100KVA generating set imported will fall back to the ordinary man on the street.
Manufacturers will increase the prices of goods and services to make up for the extra amount spent buying generating set to power their production machines and other electritical equipment.
GEJ and his preposterous birdbrain ministers are no good, they need to be reminded that the entity called Nigeria is not their personal and should never be run like one.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by cdamsel(f): 12:48pm On Sep 10, 2013
Y wld I want 2 use gen if there is constant electricity? Wit all d noise it makes undecided

Dis govt is turning 2 d worse o,fine 4 generator?
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Djsweet(m): 12:53pm On Sep 10, 2013
Na wa o!Is either we stop these policy makers or they stop us.So far,one cannot with confidence point at any positive outcome of the so call policies that are almost tantamount to military decrees that we are forced to accept.My dear policy makers,dont for the sake of God mess things for us,we are already in enough difficulties!
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
Is this necessary with the recent privatisation of PHCN why can't the govt allow investors performance in the the power sector drive down the need for generators naturally

Its fraudulent and senseless like the monthly N750. service charge by PHCN.

Why introduce such levy now
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by bknight: 1:18pm On Sep 10, 2013
BAN GENERATORS OUTRIGHTLY! angry
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Obinoscopy(m): 1:22pm On Sep 10, 2013
tayo4me:

Please explain how this is a good move. Should we even be importing generating sets in the first place?
Govt is not providing basic amenities, yet they want to make money off us again.
The price of generating sets is definitely going up *sad*
Its a good move because it would discourage the importation of generators into the country. An outright ban would only encourage smugglers to smuggle generators in through our porous borders. However, like I said earlier, this initiative would amount to rubbish if government fails to utilise the money generated from the extra levies in transforming the power sector.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by eggy(m): 1:40pm On Sep 10, 2013
Leopantro: don't know if I should swear or laugh.

I am a bit confused.. NERC (Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission) imposing tax on generator importation I fail to see the correlation and doubt if it has the statutory right to do so ( i stand to be corrected).

1) There is already a statutory amount payable as tax for importation ( I assume the Nigerian customs, MAN, et all are in charge of this)

2) As a regulatory commission for electricity i fail to see where generator importation falls under their jurisdiction.. I was of the opinion that their primary focus will be on generation of electricity as well as its distribution and ensuring that the right of we the final end users are protected. That is to say their sole bizness/concern should dwell on locally generated Electricity, the generation/distribution companies as well as the consumer’s right while ensuring a favourable / level playing field for all stake holders.

3) The tot of NCC imposing importation tax on mobile phones and handset importation (as heinous as it sounds) cannot even be likened to this madness

NERC should note that it was not solely established as a profit making arm for the government (we already have enof which are been mismanaged) and if profit generation is now its key preoccupation, i suggest it looks for other viable options.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by emorse(m): 1:49pm On Sep 10, 2013
taharqa: Haven't you ever heard of SURE-P, Mr I-am-waiting-for-info?
What about it?
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by emorse(m): 1:55pm On Sep 10, 2013
Obinoscopy: Its a good move because it would discourage the importation of generators into the country. An outright ban would only encourage smugglers to smuggle generators in through our porous borders. However, like I said earlier, this initiative would amount to rubbish if government fails to utilise the money generated from the extra levies in transforming the power sector.
Lets not deceive ourselves bro. This move will not discourage any importation. The importers will simply transfer the extra cost to the final consumer. Let them use the subsidy funds to increase power generation and distribution (instead of painting 3rd mainland bridge) and the generator - importation business will die naturally.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by General2000: 4:08pm On Sep 10, 2013
Jona at it again? clueless government.. Hmm! a bit of hot air
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Demdem(m): 4:19pm On Sep 10, 2013
And yet, someone will claim that Retardeen isn't daft. What other evidence is needed to prove this?
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by eluquenson(m): 4:45pm On Sep 10, 2013
Obinoscopy: Its a good move if and only if FG can efficiently channel the money generated into the power sector.

Yes! If they can efficiently channel the money into their pocket as usual...LWKM grin
Na ETT mtcheww
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by charsobodo(m): 4:54pm On Sep 10, 2013
Nonsense! Clueless bunch of fuls, is this there primary responsiblity, they shuld jst tell us dat they want to indirectly increase d prices of generator. Simple electricty they can't provide for us and yet they won't stop looking for ways of causing more misery and pain on the poor masses. God will deliver us from this canibals. Amen
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 10, 2013
awodman: Bad business for Atiku's MIKANO....and others
It does not affect mikano in any way. The charge would be passed on to the final consumer. More hardship for the masses.

temidire222:

I am seriously interested in this solar. stuff......

It cost an arm and a leg.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by eluquenson(m): 6:07pm On Sep 10, 2013
saxywale:
It does not affect mikano in any way. The charge would be passed on to the final consumer. More hardship for the masses.

It cost an arm and a leg.

grin grin grin
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by moshoodn(m): 6:28pm On Sep 10, 2013
ogaju007:

Typical!!! what has this got to do with the discussion?

Hmmmmmm....

Next time, before you quote and reply, think and think again, Don't be hasty in replying...

Someday, Nigeria shall overcome her dark phase, and just like a phoenix, she's gonna rise from her ashes....

By God's absolute grace.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by mykehugo: 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2013
AS FAR AS NAIJA IS CONCERNED "I DONT SEE HOPE" sad cry
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Lalaska(m): 7:44pm On Sep 10, 2013
This guy is high on something. I cant believe this... Give me light you, no give me light. I use my money buy generator, youre imposing fines on me. Ive not seen this before. Only in Nigeria...

If there was light, i wont need a generator.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by taayourty(m): 7:58pm On Sep 10, 2013
blacksta: where is the alternative ?

Atupa #Lantern
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by otokx(m): 8:01pm On Sep 10, 2013
Just when you think you have seen the height of wickedness mixed with greed and mediocrity in Nigeria they come up with a more efficient way of destruction. Yet my people are content sending their prayers to the clouds.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by nex(m): 10:39pm On Sep 10, 2013
These people are mad! As if Nigerians just enjoy using electricity generators while they have PHCN power supply in their homes.

GEJ has squandered the entire Federation Account, now we must pay a fine even for attempting to breathe his "fresh air".
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Exponental(m): 10:55pm On Sep 10, 2013
What nonsense!
The final consumer will still bear d cost. If govt has been effective in power supply, there wont be need for generators importation.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by nkpommpko(m): 11:48pm On Sep 10, 2013
I don't know what we are waiting for before we take to the streets
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by chronique(m): 1:14am On Sep 11, 2013
Kai! I've said it times without number,if you want to find some of the dumbest people in Nigeria,just log on to nairaland and read their comments. Is it that people do not know that those enjoying dividends from the importation of generators,are part of the people sabotaging government's effort in providing stable power to Nigerians? Ok,I'll give an example. In 2007,I had some friends who were living in ogudu GRA. Everytime I went visiting,there was always no light. 90% of the residents all had generating sets.one day,I asked my friend how possible it was for phcn not to supply them light despite the calibre of people living there? And he asked me how I expected them to have light when the owner of mikano generators lives there. According to him,it was the general/popular opinion by residents in the estate,that the man was conniving with phcn not to supply them light reguarly so as to increase his patronage. I didn't believe it totally but there are some points in that statement. My friends were always running gen in their duplex and even when phcn brings light,they often times do not bother turning of the gen cos the light hardly stays for long.

What's my point? Nigeria's problems are caused by selfish greedy individuals who are benefitting from the situation we are currently in. Just as they(greedy bizmen) pay people to sabotage our refineries and ensure they do not work so that they can continue to profit from the importation of petrol,that's how they sabotage govt's effort to fix the power sector so they can continue to make money from the import of generators. One of the few ways of checking the continuos rise of this business is to introduce fees and levies on the imports. This definitely,will adversely affect the sales as imports/sales would be a lil bit controlled. I personally think govt should even charge as much as 40% surcharge per every unit of generating set imported,so as to make it not lucrative enough to become and industry. If the cummulative amount spent on import of generating sets yearly,is invested in generating electricity through the use of coal(which is a cheap and reliable means of generating electricity),we should have about 4000-5000 megawatts of electricity added to what our dams and gas plants gives us yearly. The average cost of running diesel generating sets in a year in Nigeria as far back as 2011,was quoted at around $8billion whereas,1.2 - 2.5 billion dollars would build a coal plant that can add about 1000 megawatts to what we already have. So,it's safe to say that the $8bn can effectively give us 4000 megawatts. Nigeria needs close to 10,000 megawatts to sort out its electricity needs. If all of these is fixed,where would those making money from generator imports and fuel imports make their money from? They'd certainly go out of business. To remain in business,all they need do is pay peanuts to criminals working in phcn and nnpc to sabotage all govt's efforts. But unfortunately,most Nigerians can't see this.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by thoth: 2:32am On Sep 11, 2013
It is called Asymmetric warfare, the intent is to frustrate Nigerians from all angles so they will be susceptible to violence, the end goal is a sort of civil war and finally the nation breaks up. the Americans told you that you will break up and you will break up.
I have been saying this for a long time now but people refuse to listen, anyway they will frustrate you and frustrate you till you people just go mad.

1 Like

Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Demdem(m): 5:20am On Sep 11, 2013
[s]
chronique: Kai! I've said it times without number,if you want to find some of the dumbest people in Nigeria,just log on to nairaland and read their comments. Is it that people do not know that those enjoying dividends from the importation of generators,are part of the people sabotaging government's effort in providing stable power to Nigerians? Ok,I'll give an example. In 2007,I had some friends who were living in ogudu GRA. Everytime I went visiting,there was always no light. 90% of the residents all had generating sets.one day,I asked my friend how possible it was for phcn not to supply them light despite the calibre of people living there? And he asked me how I expected them to have light when the owner of mikano generators lives there. According to him,it was the general/popular opinion by residents in the estate,that the man was conniving with phcn not to supply them light reguarly so as to increase his patronage. I didn't believe it totally but there are some points in that statement. My friends were always running gen in their duplex and even when phcn brings light,they often times do not bother turning of the gen cos the light hardly stays for long.

What's my point? Nigeria's problems are caused by selfish greedy individuals who are benefitting from the situation we are currently in. Just as they(greedy bizmen) pay people to sabotage our refineries and ensure they do not work so that they can continue to profit from the importation of petrol,that's how they sabotage govt's effort to fix the power sector so they can continue to make money from the import of generators. One of the few ways of checking the continuos rise of this business is to introduce fees and levies on the imports. This definitely,will adversely affect the sales as imports/sales would be a lil bit controlled. I personally think govt should even charge as much as 40% surcharge per every unit of generating set imported,so as to make it not lucrative enough to become and industry. If the cummulative amount spent on import of generating sets yearly,is invested in generating electricity through the use of coal(which is a cheap and reliable means of generating electricity),we should have about 4000-5000 megawatts of electricity added to what our dams and gas plants gives us yearly. The average cost of running diesel generating sets in a year in Nigeria as far back as 2011,was quoted at around $8billion whereas,1.2 - 2.5 billion dollars would build a coal plant that can add about 1000 megawatts to what we already have. So,it's safe to say that the $8bn can effectively give us 4000 megawatts. Nigeria needs close to 10,000 megawatts to sort out its electricity needs. If all of these is fixed,where would those making money from generator imports and fuel imports make their money from? They'd certainly go out of business. To remain in business,all they need do is pay peanuts to criminals working in phcn and nnpc to sabotage all govt's efforts. But unfortunately,most Nigerians can't see this.
[/s]

Bullshit. Complete crap.
The same logic sold to the populace during the subsidy saga. So govt knows those sabotaging their efforts and remain powerless to curtail them. These cabal seems to be much powerful than govt then. So in govt wisdom, the only way to curtail them is to put additional tax on generating set they import right? So daft.
Even a day old baby will know that the final consumer will pay that new tax and not importers. Am sure y have a brain, kindly use it abegii.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by chronique(m): 8:41am On Sep 11, 2013
I've always known you to be an eediot on this forum who feels he knows everything and would end up insulting people who do not share same view with you. Please go look for your mate to ruffle feathers with and drag into your gutter lifestyle. I'm not on the same plateau with you. It's obvious you lack proper upbringing and manners since you do not have the mental capacity to engage in a public discussion without resorting to throwing insult and abuses here and there.
Demdem: [s][/s]

Bullshit. Complete crap.
The same logic sold to the populace during the subsidy saga. So govt knows those sabotaging their efforts and remain powerless to curtail them. These cabal seems to be much powerful than govt then. So in govt wisdom, the only way to curtail them is to put additional tax on generating set they import right? So daft.
Even a day old baby will know that the final consumer will pay that new tax and not importers. Am sure y have a brain, kindly use it abegii.
Re: NERC Introduces N25,000 Levy On Generators by Etesam(m): 9:00am On Sep 11, 2013
chronique: Kai! I've said it times without number,if you want to find some of the dumbest people in Nigeria,just log on to nairaland..... But unfortunately,most Nigerians can't see this.
I disagree. If you were so smart as you feel you wouldn't have bothered to register. And what are you doing here anyway? Save your long write-up? You can go to 2go if you wish. Not forgetting there is freedom of opinion. But you can't stay in 9airaland and call me dumb!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Grants Citizenship To 174 Foreigners / Community Youths Dismantle Road Barrier In Enugu (photos) / Sadiya Farouq: 1.9 Million Vulnerable Nigerians’ll Get ₦38 Billion Grants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.