Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,069 members, 7,953,267 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:14 PM

Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. (6859 Views)

Government Primary School Ijoko, Ogun, Where Pupils Pay Teachers’ Salary / Pupils Of A Primary School Climbing Fence / A Primary School Where Pupils Wear Chelsea Jersey As Their Sportswear (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 11, 2013
Le Stylo:

While i was in Warri in 2005, a friend working with a laboratory
supplies company had a contract to supply at a secondary school under
ETFintervention. It was the principal of the school who proposed instant
sale of all the government-supplied materials. He simply said we don't
need them.

Bottomline: Corruption in Nigeria is alarmingly overwhelming. However, if the head is sick, the body cannot get healing. Sanity should be restored from the top first. A night crawling dad cant dissuade his son from hanging out late.

grin grin grin. Nairaland remains the best place for fun for now. grin grin
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by taharqa2: 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2013
A mother, who simply identified herself as Maureen, disclosed that she was given a list of books to buy for her children and paid N1,100 to acquire “Pupil Book 1 UBE Edition Learn Mathematics for Primary Schools.”

Don't understand this...
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Cleanman(m): 1:39pm On Sep 11, 2013
gratiaeo:
Prodigal son
What's your justification? That west are more educated than east? Pls i need authentic proof
You dont need any proof my dear....its right in front of you staring into your eyes live in HD !.

1 Like

Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:50pm On Sep 11, 2013
If this is curbed or any attempt is made at curbing it, I bet anybody Goodluck Jonathan will lose 2015 election in the South East. As a matter of fact he will be told to the face that he should not make any attempt at contesting. Let us not forget the same thing happened to Dora Akuyinli when she was told by drug sellers in Onitsha that she would not be voted for because of her clamping down on them when she was the NAFDAC boss. They rather chose to vote for Chris Ngige and his Yoruba/Yoruba party, ACN.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by taharqa2: 1:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
Not surprised. Us, Nigerians, can be such 'wonderful' people.

I recall the Min of State for Education going to the DG of the SSS, asking him to lend the Min SSS officials to accompany the Distribution of the books to the diff States (I rememba this cos this was at the height of the BH crisis, and I was wondering while SSS Officials should be diverted by 'lesser' concerns). It paid off though in Niger State later

The Chief Stores Officer of the Niger state Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) and three other civil servants in the state, have been arrested for diverting free instructional and learning materials, including textbooks meant for public schools in the state to Onitsha Market in Anambra state.

Blueprint learnt that the Chief store officer, who is an Assistant Director, two of his staff and another man working with the House of Assembly, were picked last week by the operatives of the Department of State Security Service (DSS) following a tip from a trader arrested in Onitsha with the UBEB textbooks coded for Niger state by the Universal Basic Education Commission in Abuja.

The trader reportedly disclosed that he got the supply of the books from the SUBEB staff in Minna before leading security operatives to pick up the suspects.

It was learnt that the man working with the House of Assembly acted as the contact person between the Onitsha Market trader and the SUBEB staff in the channel of distribution of the free textbooks.

Chairman of SUBEB, Alhaji Uba Hassan Kuta, confirmed to Blueprint that the affected staff were under interrogation by security agents.

He said the state Head of Service (HOS), Alhaji Ibrahim Matane, had also directed administrative probe into the matter in accordance with the civil service rules of the state.

He explained that the diversion of the free textbooks to the market was not peculiar to Niger state as many other states had complained that such books were being sold in local markets.

http://blueprintng.com/new/2012/10/15/4-in-trouble-over-diversion-of-subeb-textbooks/

1 Like

Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by abacrested(f): 1:58pm On Sep 11, 2013
We always blame. Our leaders. For every thing dat hapens. Without looking inwards. We are our problems not our leaders.we don't jst do things right period.as per Abia state,dey have the worst set of people in nigeria dats y u get dis kinda news al d time
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by chebeoc(m): 1:58pm On Sep 11, 2013
back2sender: that's why ibo people will not smell the president seat. u pple are always in the news for bad bad tinz, cannot be trusted and can do anytin for money.
[quote][/quote] Tell me what you benefit from having the president from your region.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by sundyke107: 2:02pm On Sep 11, 2013
gratiaeo:
Prodigal son
What's your justification? That west are more educated than east? Pls i need authentic proof

I expected this from egocentric individual like you....In the word of Uthman Dan Fodio 'Conscience is an open wound only the truth can heal it' My brother (if truly you are an Igbo son) the Westerners value education more than Easterners. Charity they say begin at home. I was amazed when an elderly man had to give up his seat in a commercial vehicle for school children.....Its only in the West that a commercial bus can carry school children fare-free but in the East the reverse is the case.... Some of us (not all) lack integrity all spheres.

I rest my case
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by gratiaeo(m): 2:04pm On Sep 11, 2013
Cleanman: You dont need any proof my dear....its right in front of you staring into your eyes live in HD !.
Invalid point
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by gratiaeo(m): 2:11pm On Sep 11, 2013
sundyke107:

I expected this from egocentric individual like you....In the word of Uthman Dan Fodio 'Conscience is an open wound only the truth can heal it' My brother (if truly you are an Igbo son) the Westerners value education more than Easterners. Charity they say begin at home. I was amazed when an elderly man had to give up his seat in a commercial vehicle for school children.....Its only in the West that a commercial bus can carry school children fare-free but in the East the reverse is the case.... Some of us (not all) lack integrity all spheres.

I rest my case
What i want to hear is is west more educated east?
The Chief Stores Officer of
the Niger state Universal
Basic Education Board
(SUBEB) and three other
civil servants in the state,
have been arrested for
diverting free instructional
and learning materials,
including textbooks meant
for public schools in the
state to Onitsha Market in
Anambra state.
Blueprint learnt that
the Chief store officer,
who is an Assistant
Director, two of his
staff and another man
working with the
House of Assembly,
were picked last week
by the operatives of the
Department of State
Security Service (DSS)
following a tip from a
trader arrested in
Onitsha with the UBEB
textbooks coded for
Niger state by the
Universal Basic
Education Commission
in Abuja.
The trader reportedly
disclosed that he got
the supply of the books
from the SUBEB staff
in Minna before
leading security
operatives to pick up
the suspects.
It was learnt that the
man working with the
House of Assembly
acted as the contact
person between the
Onitsha Market trader
and the SUBEB staff in
the channel of
distribution of the free
textbooks.
Chairman of SUBEB,
Alhaji Uba Hassan
Kuta, confirmed to
Blueprint that the
affected staff were
under interrogation by
security agents.
He said the state Head of
Service (HOS), Alhaji
Ibrahim Matane, had also
directed administrative
probe into the matter in
accordance with the civil
service rules of the state.
He explained that the
diversion of the free
textbooks to the market
was not peculiar to Niger
state as many other states
had complained that such
books were being sold in
local markets.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by anonimi: 2:17pm On Sep 11, 2013
Good to note that Jonathan's administration is providing free textbooks through the UBE while the states and LGAs are literally sleeping on duty- collecting their allocations & sharing.
I imagine they also provide to the "progressive opposition" states who make plenty noise for dem yoyo propaganda projects.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by bakynes(m): 2:25pm On Sep 11, 2013
Education has alway been the bedrock of the SW. We have the highest number of Professors from Ilorin,we have the highest ranked universities,we have more educated pple than any other region in this country. Chief Obafemi Awolowo's drea and vision was education. So plz do nt argue with GRATLAEO
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by sylve11: 2:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
Freiburger:
Is that necessary?
@ Topic, they call it recycling. grin grin grin

lol, abeg make una nor kill me for hia o grin cool
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by bakynes(m): 2:30pm On Sep 11, 2013
anonimi: Good to note that Jonathan's administration is providing free textbooks through the UBE while the states and LGAs are literally sleeping on duty- collecting their allocations & sharing.
I imagine they also provide to the "progressive opposition" states who make plenty noise for dem yoyo propaganda projects.

Fool so the UBE dristributing free books to students is new under Jonathan's Administration? You must be high on Weed. Right from when I was a little boy I know d UBE has been distributing free books all over the country.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by TheKingsQueen: 2:36pm On Sep 11, 2013
I knew it right from time that e-tribalists will gladly jump in here and start an anti-Igbo tribal war with glee, and I wasn't dissappointed.

@topic: This is fraud of the highest order. I suggest that security agents should just disguise as customers and go to the markets and attempt to but the books. Then they should arrest the sellers and question them on how they got those books and who they got them from.

This is the height of sabotage of government's transformation efforts in the education sector.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Nobody: 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2013
abacrested: We always blame. Our leaders. For every thing dat hapens. Without looking inwards. We are our problems not our leaders.we don't jst do things right period.as per Abia state,dey have the worst set of people in nigeria dats y u get dis kinda news al d time

Thank you. Nigerians are the problem of Nigeria period.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 11, 2013
Now you see what I mean when I say.

Nigeria's problems and failures = Nigerians!

FULLSTOP.

The little Government dey do, you dey use your own very hands to sabotage the efforts. At the end of the day, we lay the blames of poor education infrastructures on the Government together!
GOD KNOWS I just hate those set of people called Nigerians! (Except me and my family sha grin). But I love Nigeria anyway kiss
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:09pm On Sep 11, 2013
anonimi: Good to note that Jonathan's administration is providing free textbooks through the UBE while the states and LGAs are literally sleeping on duty- collecting their allocations & sharing.
Your governors may be sleeping, not the progressive South West governors. Osun State gave out computer tablets (popularly called opon imo) to secondary school students.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2013
magnetik: why is this country so lawless..
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Slowvenom(m): 7:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
Who 2 b blame, d Governnor or d salers? Anywere no be Aba pple? Evretin na buseness 4 Aba no suprise
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by boniflex(m): 8:42pm On Sep 11, 2013
And for those rotten idiots calling igbos bad name, which people are the root of nigeria lawlessness and bad administration it is.... Hausas {Athifku and Buhari} Yorubas {Ori nshi ewu obusonjo or oricha ego obusonjo and Tinubu} only to metion but few... Igbos re ten times better than u guys
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Goziesonsam(m): 9:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
Nothing good has ever come out from Abia state present administration. He Sucks grin grin grin grin grin[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by dabiko(m): 8:51am On Sep 12, 2013
Cleanman: You dont need any proof my dear....its right in front of you staring into your eyes live in HD !.
I still insist u provide facts and figures to support the claim that the west acquire education more than the east.If u can't then stop ranting.Btw 40% of students in both northern and western in tertiary institutions are from the east...
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 12, 2013
dabiko: .Btw 40% of students in both northern and western in tertiary institutions are from the east...
well, that is to show you that schools in the east are rubbish compared to the well-renowned OAU, UNILAG, LASU, UI, LAUTECH, FUTA etc.

as for the 40%, thats a lie. Try reducing it to 30% then we can talk.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by baysol: 10:18am On Sep 12, 2013
homesteady: I'm not surprised!! Even mosquito nets that government gave free of charge are been sold

Bad people will always produce bad fruitage.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by dabiko(m): 11:11am On Sep 12, 2013
Segeggs: well, that is to show you that schools in the east are rubbish compared to the well-renowned OAU, UNILAG, LASU, UI, LAUTECH, FUTA etc.

as for the 40%, thats a lie. Try reducing it to 30% then we can talk.
Let me spell it out for you.According to jamb statistics for the past 5 yrs consecutively,SE has had the highest the number of candidates seeking admission in tertiary institutions.As a result of this unbrittled passion for education the schl's in the SE isn't enough to accomodate them all as a result they move to both SW,NW,NE,SS,and NC to acheive dia dream(s).Secondly,wen the immediate past education minister,prof ruquatu ahmed released the 2013 cut-off mark for admission into unity schl's,the SE states had the highest cut-off points of which anambra had the highest in the country.Well,i gently rest my case.
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 12, 2013
^^^ stop beign a kid. Compare your SE schools with the ones i mentioned. And hey! Did i forget to include UNILORIN, the only school not on strike now?
Re: Free Pupils Textbooks Resold In Abia Markets. by thejurist: 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
This is not a good development...The seller of the books must be dealt with and the source should be unraveled. Governor T.A. Orji I trust will deal with this bad eggs.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Goodnews For Those Who Completed Their Primary School In Nigeria - / Nairaland Interschool Debate, Third Edition Overall Best Debater / Download FREE UNICAL Post UTME Past Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.