Stats: 3,152,138 members, 7,814,989 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 (2304 Views)

MAZDA 3/6 Or Honda 2007/2008-to Buy Or Not To Buy? / Mazda 3 2005 Ac Problem / Guys, Pls How Reliable Is Mazda 3 (2003) Is? Want To Get One... (2) (3) (4)

Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by roosebolton: 7:18am On Sep 11, 2013
I just got a fairly used 2005 Mazda3 SP23 / s 2.3L with 91,000 km on it. I had my mechanic check the vehicle before getting it and he gave it the all clear. He however recommended I perform the following servicing on the ride before turning it to a daily driver.

Change the Shocks (recommended fairly used shocks- is this advisable? )
Change the Breakpad
Oil Filter
OIl filter casing
Transmission fuel
Engine Oil

Concerning the Oil Filter, is there anyone here knows where I can get original mazda oil filter in Abuja (or anywhere in Nigeria?) Same with the oil filter casing.

Also what type of Transmission fuel can I use for the car the manual recommends "ATF M-V" but I don't know what that even means.

Lastly although my mechanic got very good recommendations from friends, I am still not very comfortable with him because he is still a "road side mechanic" and hence tend to rely more on instinct and trial by error. Does anyone know a good car auto shop in abuja where I can get a second opinion on the car?

Also (last question I promise) The Mazda 3 looks very good and sportish.. wondering why the car isn't very popular in nigeria roads or does it have any know issues?
Re: Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by biggiyke(m): 7:42am On Sep 11, 2013
i strongly advice you leave the transmission oil as it is, except the gear has issues already. changing it is usually the beginning of your gear wahala, especially with typical nigerian mechanics and abro trans fluid.

you can take care of other recommended stuff.

Re: Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 11, 2013
its like your mechanic wants to drain your pockets so fast.

An oil filter is just N500 max. Just change the engine oil and filter only. Except the oil filter casing is bad. Watch the performance of the car for like 2 weeks and make the necessary repairs gradually.

Are the shocks that bad? U can get broke by fixing a naija used car you just bought. Don't be in a hurry to change everything or else u may be seriously indebted. Did I hear you say God forbid? !!!
Re: Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by roosebolton: 8:10am On Sep 11, 2013
biggiyke: i strongly advice you leave the transmission oil as it is, except the gear has issues already. changing it is usually the beginning of your gear wahala, especially with typical nigerian mechanics and abro trans fluid.

you can take care of other recommended stuff.
Thanks jare my brother, I did my own research and found this Pure Guard Global Transmission Fluid which (from the spec sheet) states its compatible with M-V ATF recommended to Mazda cars. If at all I will be changing my ATF I would might be using that. Please am a car Newbe, how will you know when to change the ATF?
Re: Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by roosebolton: 8:17am On Sep 11, 2013
chiebube: its like your mechanic wants to drain your pockets so fast.

An oil filter is just N500 max. Just change the engine oil and filter only. Except the oil filter casing is bad. Watch the performance of the car for like 2 weeks and make the necessary repairs gradually.

Are the shocks that bad? U can get broke by fixing a naija used car you just bought. Don't be in a hurry to change everything or else u may be seriously indebted. Did I hear you say God forbid? !!!
Lol u know am a JJC when it comes to cars, this is my first car, and am just trying to do the right thing, ensure it is well maintained. It is not a new car and as such I don't know the service history.Just trying to do some preventive servicing so has to avoid spending more money in future. Either way would be nice to have a good auto shop in abuja
Re: Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 11, 2013
Does any light on the dashboard stay permanently on when the car is in motion or idling?
Re: Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by roosebolton: 1:59pm On Sep 11, 2013
chiebube: Does any light on the dashboard stay permanently on when the car is in motion or idling?
yes, the check engine light. I just had a second mechanic have a look at it.. to get a second opinion and he pretty much stated what the first one said. basically I need new shocks, new tires, and he needs to fix the oil leaking from under the car.

Re: Advise On The Mazda 3 2005 by baaliyah(m): 6:58pm On Sep 11, 2013
Look for car doctor here, he has a repair garage in Abuja. Road side mecho's opinions are not enough when buying car, they always want to take advantage of every situation.

STUCK IN TRAFFIC? Pal-v One: The Helicopter Tricycle / What To Do Before Buying A Tokunbo Car / Save Money And Never Buy A New Car Battery Again!