Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,900 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:14 PM

Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? (949 Views)

OPINION POLL: Silent Treatment - Maturity/immaturity? Good OR Bad? / Husband Concerned That His Wife Is Silent Even Knowing That He Cheated / How To End “the Silent Treatment” In Marriages (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by eluquenson(m): 9:36am On Sep 11, 2013
In any type of relationship there comes a time
when misunderstandings arise, would you rather
become mute and not say word to your partner,
friends or other family members?
Is there anything wrong with this attitude?
Your thoughts..............

Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by maclatunji: 10:09am On Sep 11, 2013
^It is a very bad attitude that kills a relationship. You should always communicate; happiness, hurt, anger etc...
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by Nobody: 10:48am On Sep 11, 2013
It should only be used when you are angry and do not want to say the wrong words. Better still just leave the house or go somewhere you can cool down. You should never use it for more than 24 hours, anything more can be counterproductive unless in extreme situations.
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by vivianc(f): 1:34am On Sep 12, 2013
If i ever give you the silent treatment? It simply means i'm withdrawing, i'm tired of fighting or i don't wanna fight. So, I'm walking out of that relationship.

When i'm still excited about someone, i don't give silent treatment no matter how mad i am at the person, I fight or argue. That's just one of the ways I express my love.
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by OmoAlata1(f): 2:15am On Sep 12, 2013
I hate silent treatment with passion
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by minute(f): 4:04am On Sep 12, 2013
I would allow the silent treatment to run it's course. Typically depending on how mad or disappointed they are.

Alternatively try something else, anything you can think of to break the stubborn, uneasy atmosphere.

Perhaps eat and drink noisily around the person-some examples include slurping loudly on a nice milkshake, especially

when you reach the bottom of the glass, and smacking your lips when you eat food near them.

Burp and break wind(fart) in or near the area where the "silent treatment people" are standing/sitting.

"Accidentally" turn up your stereo/Tv in your bedroom to full- blast, and "unwittingly" wake up your family first thing

in the morning.
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by EfemenaXY: 8:10pm On Sep 12, 2013
eluquenson: In any type of relationship there comes a time
when misunderstandings arise, would you rather
become mute and not say word to your partner,
friends or other family members?
Is there anything wrong with this attitude?
Your thoughts..............

Depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, it's wiser to keep quite and let the emotions simmer down. That way, both parties have a clear thinking mind to tackle their problems at a later date.

That aside, silent treatment for the sake of it is simply childish and immature and is no way to communicate in a serious relationship.

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by aniffy4eva(m): 7:57am On Sep 13, 2013
It's not healthy but sometimes inevitable. undecided
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by baby124: 2:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
Warning: This act/behavior is only for children. smiley

Especially if it passes a day. grin
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by eluquenson(m): 6:48pm On Sep 13, 2013
baby_123: Warning: This act/behavior is only for children. smiley

Especially if it passes a day. grin

Children... grin undecided
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by dayokanu(m): 7:13pm On Sep 13, 2013
If you see an argument is heading in the wrong direction, One party needs to keep quiet or leave the house to avoid escalation

And after a few hours with calmer heads come back to resolve it
Re: Question: Is Silent Treatment In A Relationship Healthy? by UyiIredia(m): 8:52am On Sep 14, 2013
Not really. Healthy communication is a basis of all relationships. Silent treatment is attimes needed when one is hurt but needn't be extended too long though.

(1) (Reply)

Before You Hire That Maid. / Can A Man molest His Wife? / Who And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.