Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,032 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

My Thoughts On Assu Vs Fg Battle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Thoughts On Assu Vs Fg Battle (537 Views)

Balancing The Budget: Kano-State Vs FG / Baraje-led PDP Fast & Pray For ASSU Strike To Be Resolved / Agreement With ASSU Can't Be Implemented - FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Thoughts On Assu Vs Fg Battle by bilms(m): 1:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
MY THOUGHTS ON ASSU VS FG BATTLE
NIGERIAN STUDENTS MUST GO ON A NATIONWIDE STRIKE

I think it's high time the Nigerian students go on a purposeful nationwide strike and protest to make a demand on quality,rather than quantity that the Nigerian institutions are currently known for.

It is no longer news that ASUU has been on strike for quit some while to demand the implementation of the agreement they had with the federal govt in 2009, a demand which include the 26% budgetary allocation to be channeled to the education sector for quality improvements in our institutions, but the FG seems not ready to listen to the agitation of ASUU, thinking they will get tired along the line when students mount pressure on them to resume work.

Let me state here that, the Nigerian student must support ASUU to continue this strike, but not just that, NANS and the entire student bodies in Nigeria must declare their own strike and embark on a nationwide protest in demand for the full implantation of the FG agreement with ASUU which include the 26% budgetary allocation to the education sector.
The Nigerian students must proceed to shut down private institutions were children of those in government find comfort while the generality of Nigerians suffers and lack quality education.

Until FG implement the agreement with ASUU and 26% budget to education sector, let all students enjoy their strike while it last.
Re: My Thoughts On Assu Vs Fg Battle by Mustay(m): 5:46am On Sep 12, 2013
NANS has been apolitical for some time - in the past, NANS and ASUU had a cordial relationship until they became politicized.

Whichever way, the students lose. If lecturers go back with no improvement, the students remain half-baked. If government refuses to show concern, students may even become quarter-baked.

I watched his (Yinka) press release and was stunned when he said he had seen the agreement and termed it as ridiculous demands! I mean, does he recognize what the meaning of an agreement is It means both parties realize the problems and have resolved to amend them via an agreement. His position further proved my stance on the union's objectivity. smh

He also claimed ASUU called for students to go to the streets! Haba shocked While ASUU may solicit their support, he needs to be reminded that ASUU became stronger via their position in the military era where the FMG used to 'thrash' students (e.g IBB in ABU Zaria protest) if they dared the then government. ASUU literally 'took over' to prevent students from going on the streets to avoid unnecessary harassment.

Definitely, we all have to question the effectiveness of strikes but it remains the best 'weapon' since they're not militants. We also need to remember that unions don't just go on strikes without (previous) dialogues - their (students') energy needs to be redirected towards the FG whose investigating panel also indicts her in contributing to the rot in out universities.

If you want to go on with the status quo ("let my people go"wink, don't blame the players anymore, blame the referee! Employers will complain about our products and you'll keep complaining. Don't just siddon look and say the system is bad, make accept am like that.

PS: I'll just be a 'doubting Thomas' and see Yinka's statements as his personal views, not NANS.
Re: My Thoughts On Assu Vs Fg Battle by bilms(m): 2:33pm On Sep 12, 2013
HUM

(1) (Reply)

President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Sacks Nine Members Of The Council / 2015-jonathan Kickoff Campaign / 858,000 Child Deaths In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.