Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:04 AM

Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence (17831 Views)

Ocholi's Driver Had No Driver's Licence - FRSC / Kabir Akingbolu: Lawyer Sues Buhari Over Failure To Tackle Fuel Shortage / Lawyer Sues Buhari, APC, INEC Over Certificate Declaration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by jidsoon(m): 4:55pm On Sep 11, 2013
A lawyer with a Lagos-based legal firm, Tope Alabi and Co, located on 77B, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, Lagos, western Nigeria, has dragged the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, to court over the new driver’s licence and number plate introduced by the Federal Government.

Joined in the suit filed at the Federal High Court in Lagos on 9 September are the National Assembly and the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Justice Alooma Mukhtar.

According to the motion on notice and motion ex-parte made available to P.M.NEWS by the lawyer, Tope Alabi, the court is to determine whether the National Assembly, as the first defendant, has power to legislate on the production and issuance of driver’s licence and number plate under section 4 of the 1999Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as amended.

Also, the court is to determine whether the provisions of the FRSC Act that empower it to produce and issue number plate and driver’s licence are not inconsistent with the provision of section 4 of the Constitution; and whether the defendants along with their agents, servants or privies are right in directing the registered vehicle owners including the plaintiff to re-register when the existing registration is valid and subsisting.

The plaintiff also wants the court to determine whether the defendants along with their agents, servants or privies are right in directing the holders of valid driver’s licences and number plates, including the plaintiff, to renew same when the existing driver’s licences have not expired.

Among the reliefs claimed by the plaintiff are: A declaration that the defendant, the FRSC, lacks the powers to legislate on the issuance of number plate and driver’s licence under section 4 of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 2011; a declaration that by virue of the provisions of section 4 and 5 of the 2011 constitution of Nigeria, the production and issuance of number plate and driver’s licence is a residual matter within the exclusive legislative and executive competence of the states.

The plaintiff are also seeking a declaration that the defendants whether by themselves, agents or privies whatsoever or howsover described lack the powers in cracking down on those still using the existing registered number plates on their registered vehicles; and an order of perpectual injuction restraining the defendants whether by themselves, agents or privies whatsoever or howsover described from cracking down on those still using valid driver’s licences pending the time within which same will expire and due for renewal.

While speaking with our reporter, Alabi said FRSC’s claim that one of the reasons for the introduction of a new number plate and driver’s licence is because the old number plate and driver’s licence are easily forged is baseless.

The plaintiff opined that some fraudsters were caught recently with a large number of the fake new number plates and driver’s licence.

—Bamidele Olowosagba

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/09/11/lawyer-sues-frsc-over-new-drivers-licence/

17 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 11, 2013
at last someone who's not willing to swallow every new bogus law hook, line & sinker!

23 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Confusionist(m): 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2013
Where is the lawyer that sued Oyedepo for being a tout?

Or the kenyan lawyer who sued the killers of Jesus!

Where is the lawyer who sued Lagos state for what he termed, 'unlawful deportation' of the ibos?

Where is the one who sued the FG?

To me, I say lawyers are crazy son of a bee!!!
They shld all be treated for psychosis!!!

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Onyegecha(f): 6:47pm On Sep 11, 2013
Kudos to this lawyer. Someone should speak up for us like Gani of blessed memory. The impunity ion the system is outrageous. I hope he doesn't get tired midway.

14 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Chloekim(m): 8:01pm On Sep 11, 2013
Kudos to Barr Tope Alabi for this. I've been thinking where I'll get 44K for plate number and license. Its insane to inflict suffering on the citizens who are struggling to make ends meet and an unreasonable Govt like this will be inflicting untold and unheralded problem on we citizens. Shame on Naija

7 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by pboiskinpy(m): 11:39pm On Sep 11, 2013
Jux passing and singing...

*I want to be like Moses,take my people to the promise Land.But then I noticed something,people wey try am don dey underground.......*

no be 9ja we de

3 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by GeneralJ(m): 11:44pm On Sep 11, 2013
Times where tinz end, times were oppresion by the government ends, it is

THE
END TIME TINZ
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by DisGuy: 11:45pm On Sep 11, 2013
A lawyer with a Lagos-based legal firm, Tope Alabi and Co, located on 77B, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja, Lagos, western Nigeria

Chei see advert oo

10 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by clemmonce(m): 11:46pm On Sep 11, 2013
this is one of the reason i sometimes wish i was a lawyer. gud gud.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by alphaconde(m): 11:47pm On Sep 11, 2013
EverydAy I just wish the new drivers license and plate number could be canceled. I personally feel oppressed by these new policies. When am oppressed am depressed.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Sijo01(f): 11:47pm On Sep 11, 2013
Confusionist: Where is the lawyer that sued Oyedepo for being a tout?

Where is the lawyer who sued Lagos state for what he termed, 'unlawful deportation' of the ibos?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Hold on for them. they are on their way here.

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Fadelex(m): 11:49pm On Sep 11, 2013
this action by FRSC in conjunction wit federal looters are in no way gonna benefit d populace... they just wanna milk us of our hard earned cash... what's d difference between AR 167 KJA and KJA 167 AR..... una just dey look for a way to milk us again... as for d lawyer, carry on, d spirit of gani fawehinmi is wit u

5 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by igbsam(m): 11:51pm On Sep 11, 2013
At last someone has voiced out. I just pray other prominent lawyers would join this man is pursuing the same cause. Afterall we Nigerians are used to saying, someone needs to start it first, then we will follow. Now someone has started it o...

Everybody else should follow suit

New plate number - N35, 000
New Driver's license - N15, 000
Police BCMR - N3, 500

Total - N53, 500

Just because somebody wants to make money, they want us to pay this outrageous amount because I dey drive car. Crazy nation.

24 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by samseen02(m): 11:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
Okada man abeg step on it... Next post jor
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Nobody: 11:54pm On Sep 11, 2013
Confusionist: Where is the lawyer that sued Oyedepo for being a tout?

What do you know

6 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Kajiang02(m): 11:54pm On Sep 11, 2013
Hope something comes outta this.
Cos what's the increase in cost of production btw OLD license (4k or 5k) and new one for 15k with stress.

The number plate issue funny die.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by akinladejo: 11:56pm On Sep 11, 2013
May God bless this man! Honestly speaking this changing of number plate and driver license is madness and ways to put more burdens on 9jas. I can tell u categorically that 60% of these new plate numbers are fake and evidencs are every where• Thunder will strike this comandant for want to exploiting us. Tope alabi pls if u will need some assistance finacially we guys will contribute something for the logical conclusion of this case. Falana pls help us surport this brilliant and bold lawyer.

8 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by sagytariusTM1: 12:01am On Sep 12, 2013
Mhen, I never arrange for this new plate number thingy o.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Krisddon: 12:07am On Sep 12, 2013
[quote author=igbsam]At last someone has voiced out. I just pray other prominent lawyers would join this man is pursuing the same cause. Afterall we Nigerians are used to saying, someone needs to start it first, then we will follow. Now someone has started it o...

Everybody else should follow suit

New plate number - N35, 000
New Driver's license - N15, 000
Police BCMR - N3, 500

Total - N53, 500

Just because somebody wants to make money, they want us to pay this outrageous amount because I dey drive car. Crazy nation.

Some times i wonder who to blame for being a Nigerian. well, it is said that God doesn't make mistakes but i really think it's a serious mistake to be a Nigerian!

4 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by RoadLord: 12:24am On Sep 12, 2013
I trust police and FRSC guys, they r already warming up for business.
Its just crazy when government recycles old plate numbers and sell it for thousand.
No of cars in Nigeria*N20000, that's some billions.
The last one was subsidy removal.

I guess the trend is changing, @ first government catered for people. Next, government abdicates responsibilities. Now people are impoverished to care for government.

1 Like

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by playboy19(m): 12:28am On Sep 12, 2013
Is there anything we could do in order to aid this guy? We need to give him our total support.

7 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Humanbeans(m): 12:29am On Sep 12, 2013
This is a good move, though belated, but I believe he can win if he stick with it all the way. kudos barr. tope alabi.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Humanbeans(m): 12:33am On Sep 12, 2013
I think there there has been an earlier suit. check the link.

https://www.nairaland.com/1434740/lawyer-sues-frsc-over-number
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by FOLYKAZE(m): 12:37am On Sep 12, 2013
Finally he make the name and publicity he want.

More money
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Nobody: 12:47am On Sep 12, 2013
the new plate number is nothing but scam,i dont even understand this country anymore,why put a deadline for something that has to be gradually phased out,seems the PDP really needs money for next election...

2 Likes

Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Xanders441: 12:48am On Sep 12, 2013
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
[/code]Thinking[code]
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Nobody: 1:09am On Sep 12, 2013
alpha conde: EverydAy I just wish the new drivers license and plate number could be canceled. I personally feel oppressed by these new policies. When am oppressed am depressed.

Noo bro... When you are oppressed, get seriously mad.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by olanyte: 1:34am On Sep 12, 2013
We no go gree o! we no go gree fedra government we no go gree. i had that the wive of GEJ got this contract.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by AvilaProjects(m): 1:57am On Sep 12, 2013
Oh Lord, heal our land and water. Every policies that would inflict pains and suffering over our land, be removed and scatter. Amen
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Godhears: 2:14am On Sep 12, 2013
The new plate number reminds me of issakaba (bakassi) Sam Dede's home video. The problem with Naija is no new face in govt. Those who were part of the govt 50 years ago, their grand children who read chemistry must be part of the govt to amend constitution. Ability na co2? Lets pray for our beloved country.
Re: Lawyer Sues FRSC Over New Driver’s Licence by Godhears: 2:18am On Sep 12, 2013
The new plate number reminds me of issakaba (bakassi) Sam Dede's home video. The problem with Naija is no new face in govt. Those who were part of the govt 50 years ago, their grand children who read chemistry must be part of the govt to amend constitution. Abi na co2? Lets pray for our beloved country.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola And Gen.Olukolade At Anti-terrorism Discussion Hosted By Dele Momodu(Pic / Delta Guber Election: Ogboru Floors Okowa, Pdp In Court / Osinbajo Appoints 14 New Resident Electoral Commissioners [full List]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.