Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,614 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

Why Do Americans Always Refer To Africa As A Country And Not A Continent - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Americans Always Refer To Africa As A Country And Not A Continent (833 Views)

Why Does GMB Always Refer To Boko Haram The So Called Boko Haram / Nigeria’s Economy Largest In Africa As Rebasing Boosts GDP To $405bn / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Americans Always Refer To Africa As A Country And Not A Continent by movieland7: 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2013
I currently reside in the U.S. and it really annoys me each time people here referred to Africa as a country instead of a continent, some even to to the extent of tell you that they use to know a certain person from Africa, so there for, you should know that person too. they assume everybody knows every. and i tell them reply to them that i barely know the people in the next compound while i was in Nigeria, how much more know some one in Ghana or South Africa, e.t.c. it just funny the way this people reason some times. Na wa ooooo.
Re: Why Do Americans Always Refer To Africa As A Country And Not A Continent by Rossikk(m): 7:42pm On Sep 11, 2013
movieland7: I currently reside in the U.S. and it really annoys me each time people here referred to Africa as a country instead of a continent, some even to to the extent of tell you that they use to know a certain person from Africa, so there for, you should know that person too. they assume everybody knows every. and i tell them reply to them that i barely know the people in the next compound while i was in Nigeria, how much more know some one in Ghana or South Africa, e.t.c. it just funny the way this people reason some times. Na wa ooooo.

The US education system is deliberately set up to keep the people ignorant of the world around them. Their ignorance is a function of deliberate policy. Most Americans have never set eyes on a world map. I had an American girlfriend once who couldn't point out London on a world map. Instead she pointed at some tiny town named 'London' just at the top of the USA map, as being London England. ''Hey, there it is! There's London!''
Re: Why Do Americans Always Refer To Africa As A Country And Not A Continent by movieland7: 8:46pm On Sep 11, 2013
Rossikk:

The US education system is deliberately set up to keep the people ignorant of the world around them. Their ignorance is a function of deliberate policy. Most Americans have never set eyes on a world map. I had an American girlfriend once who couldn't point out London on a world map. Instead she pointed at some tiny town named 'London' just at the top of the USA map, as being London England. ''Hey, there it is! There's London!''

My Brother no be small thing ooooo.

(1) (Reply)

Why Goodluck Jonathan Must Run For A Second-term / NANS President Suspended Indefinitely; Senate Fixes Date For Convention / Who Should Be Held Responsible For The Menace Of Corruption In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.