Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,663 members, 7,862,035 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 06:55 AM

Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven (48260 Views)

Pope Francis To Wash & Kiss The Feet Of 4 Nigerian Catholics, 3 Muslims,5 Others / Pope Francis To Allow Priests To Forgive Women Who Had Abortions / Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by true2god: 6:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
BERNIMOORE: Matthew 24:15

"So when you see standing in the holy place 'the abomination that causes desolation,' spoken of through the prophet Daniel--let the reader understand--

Revelation 18:2

And he cried mightily with a strong voice, saying, Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and is become the habitation of demons.

end-time prophecy in fuffilment, LET READERS DISCERN. no name calling pls.
Barrister for once i agree with u. Long time no see.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Macelliot(m): 6:30pm On Sep 12, 2013
Judas2013: waiting till he tells the truth: God doesn't exist!
May GOD ALMIGHTY forgive you.
A wise man thinks wisely, but a fool thinks foolishly.
*Questions*
1)what is life?
2)what is sin?
3)why do u feel guilty when u do something wrong?
4)how did life came into existense?
5)where did u came from?
6)After ur meaningless life e.g eating, drinking, enjoyment & so on. Where will u end up?

All have sin and fall short thy Glory of GOD.
As 4 me, I believed in Christ.
For thou who so ever denied Christ in this sinful world, shall be denied by Christ in thy kingdom that has no end, but whosoever believes shall dwells forever in true happiness.
A word is enough 4 d wise.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by HUGES: 6:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
nwadaigbo: lets judge it this way; between an atheist who does not steal, oppress the poor, and a christian, who does all those things mentioned above, who will make heaven?
Niether wil mak heaven.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PrinceNwokeji: 6:35pm On Sep 12, 2013
Wow Pope is crazy !
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Macelliot(m): 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2013
italo: So you think all non-Christians are going to hell?

Unless a man is born again, he can never see the kingdom of GOD.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:36pm On Sep 12, 2013
HUGE_S: Look atheist or pagan guy,mere magic, witchcraft powers and all d tins ppl frm d occult do, as well as xtian miracles and u guys still doubt that their is a spiritual world. Now if u believe dat their is a realm other than ours frm wher al thez spiritual stuff are being done, why then do u refuse to see dat God is d BOSS of dat realm. A little trial will convince u dat their is a realm other than dis physical world. Jst go to TB Joshua church and let him touch u weda u will still have mouth to talk ur sense or evn recognis urself. No offense, but Nigerian atheists ar d most pathetic, cos in their vry eyes dey see spiritual stuff and dey say na lie. Lols

1) I am not atheist.

2) I have never seen a xtian "miracle" so far.

3) I believe in a God/Gods. but I do not believe in jesus or any other such men being Gods. Also I prefer to worship the God(s) through the ways thought to my ancestors, which is the natural way. I also like to call the God/Gods in my mother tongue and not "yahweh" or other such jewish names because I am not a slave. I am a tribesman.
4) T.B joshua is a bloody liar and cheat. that video of the Serpent of Idemilli angered me a lot. I know for a fact he is a fraud.
5) I am a Pagan Traditionalist and believe in Spirituality, because Spirituality is My Religion.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Macelliot(m): 6:38pm On Sep 12, 2013
Prince_Nwokeji: Wow Pope is crazy !
Thou shall not judge. May GOD ALMIGHTY forgive u.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Noneroone(m): 6:40pm On Sep 12, 2013
I am seeing in that man the first catholic pope to marry, catholic should pray he marries a from the opposite sex.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by ravgach: 6:42pm On Sep 12, 2013
ROMANS 2:13-16:

13For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14(Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

We can deduce from the passage above that:

1. God justifies the doers of the law/word not just hearers.
2. God's requirements are equally written on the heart/consciences of every man but the requirements can be ignored, doctored or totally
destroyed from the heart.
3. Those who will be judged by their consciences are those who did not have the chance of hearing the gospel and are totally ignorant of the
written requirements/standards of the Almighty God. It is not those who have made a choice not to accept/believe in God and his
requirements, whose consciences have been deadened and who deliberately live contrary to His prescribed will.
4. A conscience trained to reject God is not the same as an innocent and impressionable conscience.

When Pope Francis postulates that an atheist who follows his conscience will be forgiven by God, he is as right as a 'dead' clock. He is saying a truth that does not in any way help the trained atheist. The trained atheist has read the Bible, heard the gospel, witnessed miracles etc but still disbeliefs God. He is a sworn enemy of God! He can never see God except he repents. The pope's assertion is only true for the natural and ignorant atheist who is not living in this day and age. The later will be judged by his conscience and actions. He does not have automatic justification, he will still be either condemned or acquitted depending on what has been found out. "And that slave who knew his master’s will and did not get ready or act in accord with his will, will receive many lashes, but the one WHO DID NOT KNOW it, and committed deeds worthy of a flogging, will receive but few". Luke 12:47-48. He will still be flogged even though he is 'ignorant'. No one is actually ignorant of God's requirement. It is written in our consciences. On that one point the Pope is right.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by HUGES: 6:42pm On Sep 12, 2013
deeptesting:

My friend I have been to a church wouldn't want to mention name,I was invited by a friend who knew me very well as an Atheist, I honored his invitation and did you know when all that stuff you mentioned didn't work on me the officiating pastor and another pastor from Ghana termed me a witch...Come and see prayers that almost brought the roof of the building down,that was my greatest fear before they will term the fall of the roof on our heads as "spiritual stuff" like you mentioned.. It is so funny how you guys fall for all these craps.
Lolz bros na so o. Fake many 4 dis world. As a mata of fact, wherevr ther is original, their is fake, and besides, there are diff levels of grace to do such tins in christiandom sha, so d pst might not b a fake still. But it those happen -I mean miracles
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by moorepaul82: 6:46pm On Sep 12, 2013
Yo! Guys, calm down. No need to quarrel or insult anybody. Believe what you will. But if you know the truth you'll be vindicated. We can't prove our points to one another if we keep arguing. Besides in matters of religion arguments don't bring solutions. I'm a Christian and the world truly has evolved, but I'll tell you today, God hasn't changed, his standards haven't either and he can't be bribed or cajoled into changing his word. He has given us enough chances and if we refuse to accept them, his hands are tied. Jesus says he is the way to God i.e. To heaven, if you believe this then follow him. If you don't follow your conscience, in due season we'll all die and know if it's the truth. But I choose to believe. Keep the posts free of insults please. God bless.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 6:48pm On Sep 12, 2013
idnoble135: SMH.... Waiting for the "faithfuls" to come defend him again.

i'm a "faithful" o but i no fit defend again o.....i'm speechless!!!!

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by tete7000(m): 6:53pm On Sep 12, 2013
I believe the Pope is wrong. We cannot talk of sin without talking about disobeying God. The question is 'How do I talk about my conscience asking me to ask for forgiveness from a God I probably never believe exists?' Pope's statement raises a lot of contradiction. A person who never believes in God cannot even ask Him for forgiveness, his conscience is corrupted and can't see reason to ask for forgiveness. By the time the person starts thinking of asking God for forgiveness, he is already showing a belief, a faith in God. No man can go to heaven if he has never believe in God. The concept of heaven and God are intristically linked.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Macelliot(m): 6:54pm On Sep 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

1) I am not atheist.

3) I believe in a God/Gods. but I do not believe in jesus or any other such men being Gods. Also I prefer to worship the God(s) through the ways thought to my ancestors, which is the natural way. I also like to call the God/Gods in my mother tongue and not "yahweh" or other such jewish names because I am not a slave. I am a tribesman.
4) T.B joshua is a bloody liar and cheat. that video of the Serpent of Idemilli angered me a lot. I know for a fact he is a fraud.
5) I am a Pagan Traditionalist and believe in Spirituality, because Spirituality is My Religion.
Jesus christ sacrifices himself for the sins of the world.
For GOD so loved the world that HE gave HIS only beggoten SON, that who ever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life.
As u said, your Ancestors sacrifices human to please their gods.
*first commandment*
u must not worship any other gods but GOD ALMIGHTY.
*6th commandment*
you must not kill.
Our ancestors were covered with sins which made them unable to see, because devil has deceived alot of people only just to destroy our souls.
This thing that I am telling u is truth. U may never hear this again till u leave this sinful world. A word is enough 4 d wise
beware!!!
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by elampiro(m): 7:01pm On Sep 12, 2013
tsmith:

Yes, I support him.

Call me a radical Christian, but my experiences in life have shaped me and my belief. I believe in God, because I have personally experienced in and have a 1 on 1 relationship with him. I believe in Jesus Christ & the bible (to some extent) because that these have been indoctrinated into me and fed my belief. But I do not believe Christianity is the only way to God. I believe one’s good deeds would speak bigger volume that the religion you practice on the last day (if there is one)

To start off, the bible was written by human beings like me, their account of events, for the fact that I didn’t see nor was I present at these events leave room for doubt! I also believe because the bible has literary and factual meanings to things, Man over time have interpreted/misinterpreted these (remember what happens with Chinese whispers?).

We talk about God’s grace and how big and incomprehensive it is to man’s understanding, yet we under-estimate such grace. What makes you think on the last or at the gates of heaven, that God would not change his mind contrary to the bible and extend grace to each person. His grace never ends.

I have asked him, the same way he spoke people 3000 years ago to speak to me too, until then I believe what I know, and these keeps changing as time goes. And despite all these, does his grace abide with me or not? Everything the most spirococo person prays and fast for, my Father gives according to my needs, so who dares to contend with me on my belief?

I’m not a catholic, however this latest Pope has impressed me a lot and is very forward thinking! Read my posts; I posted on the need for religion to be brought up to date and into the 21st century, I think backdated religion is man’s greatest problem today; Nigeria is a an exemplary case study!

I am not gay, and would only be flattered if my fellow female made a pass at me, however with a polite decline. Yet, been gay doesn’t mean one can’t be useful in God’s vineyard or can’t be a child of God. The hypocrisy of the Church is laughable!

God is the same yesterday, today and forever. God's laws or teachings or His religion do not require to be updated to meet human ways. If humans go too wayward from God's ways, God will destroy them as He did in Noah's time and Sodom and Gomorah. Don't ever try to rationalize God's teachings to fit modernism.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by HUGES: 7:05pm On Sep 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

1) I am not atheist.

Tnx 4 setting me straight chief, I mean ur being a pagan and not atheist. Perfectly undastood. And so u dnt get me wrong, I have my reservations abt TB joshua -only used him to assert dat their is a realm wher power comes frm and not our physical world. Sure d guy does stuff and I believe they are not fake. But jst dat I am not convinced if d source of his miracles are frm my FATHER, THE GOD OF ABRAHAM AND FATHER OF JESUS CHRIST. Cheers though!
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by tete7000(m): 7:06pm On Sep 12, 2013
nwadaigbo: so, there comes the the statement "do not judge". The way our christaian brethrens behave mmost times will even make you to think deeply about this heavenly thing. If you are a christian and still does those things peculiar to atheists, who told you that you are any better than those people. Thats the message of he holy pontiff. Just do according to your conscience and you would be duely rewarded accordingly, be you christian, muslim, hindu,atheist etc. Just like in the scripture, in d story of good samaritan, we all knw that anything concerning samaria is about gentiles i.e peopl who do not believe in God. But christ praised him for being a good neighbour to a jew whom his own people neglected, even the pastors. From christ's statement, cant you see that He would be rewarde by God for doing good not minding that he is a gentile. Lets stop doing Gods work for him. Lets concentrate in doing his will and he alone will pay us accordingly. Thats the message of the pontiff
The scripture says those who do not believe in Christ are already judged. The world is judged and condemn, incapable of reconciling itself with God till Christ appeared to redeem it.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by nedu2000(m): 7:11pm On Sep 12, 2013
big pastor:
I thought the pope was INFALLIBLE
naija pastors r infallible,not the pope grin
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Deiok(m): 7:13pm On Sep 12, 2013
I dont want to cmment on this. In order not to wrong God.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Soloter(m): 7:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
O' Lord, shall we wait for another lawless man to be revealed or the one in our midst is he? Come Lord Jesus, my saviour.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by tete7000(m): 7:27pm On Sep 12, 2013
fr_evangel:

You are right but missing something.
Catholicism is not a part of the Church of Jesus Christ.
It is a deception and many pentecostal circles have followed the same path.
These are the last days and many will be deceived!
The Church of Jesus Christ is made up of ONLY born again believers. If you do not believe that Jesus is the Christ and there's no other name by which you must be saved, you are not saved.
Salvation is in Jesus Christ and can be received by the help of the Holy Spirit of God, Yaweh!
And who told you churches founded by individuals whose source of inspiration you don't know are true churches? You re deceived. If catholic church falls, take it or leave it nothing is left. Many pentecostal churches lack attributes of a true church by virtue of their origin - Rebellion and Love of money
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by jamace(m): 7:28pm On Sep 12, 2013
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I urge you to google the word "CONSCIENCE" and read it CAREFULLY before commenting on the Pope's assertion.

Thank you.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by fammoboy(m): 7:38pm On Sep 12, 2013
I tel u d truth, jesus christ z d way, the truth and d life, no 1 can see the father except through him
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by dpee4real(m): 7:40pm On Sep 12, 2013
I have read through and not seem where the Pope made such statement
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by SANdos: 7:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
I've always argued along these line of thought cool smiley
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by ProfEinstein: 7:56pm On Sep 12, 2013
nedu2000: The pope is pleasing man instead of God,the pope is WRONG....for the bible says,which I believe the pope uses as reference "except a man be born again he won't (even) see the kingdom of God [John3:3].......И̣̣̣̥o pope,cardinal or pastor can convince me otherwise
what a naive way of reasoning, what do u understand by this verse of the bible. is fellows like u that give the bible bad interpretations..
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by nedu2000(m): 8:10pm On Sep 12, 2013
Prof Einstein: what a naive way of reasoning, what do u understand by this verse of the bible. is fellows like u that give the bible bad interpretations..
we are talking abt christian issues here and not reasoning/logic,the reading that was quoted is easy to understand,one has to be born again to make heaven,atheists are not......dats according to the bible,if you have a new interpretation let's hear you out
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by Nobody: 8:14pm On Sep 12, 2013
italo: This is Catholic teaching from time immemoria. The Catholic Church has always taught that those who through no fault of theirs do not know the Catholic Church to be God's true faith can go to heaven if they follow their conscience and live a good life.

Did you guys really think that all your ancestors would burn in hell?

the conscience is trained. without training and good biblical explanation, the conscience could do what is wrong and not feel any pain.

an atheist may chose to be a gay, sex before marrying, divorse his/her mate without allegation of adultery, doesnt believe in christ nor have faith in God and his messianic promises which is the bases for eternal life. He can believe and do all these without a hit in his conscience. so what is good to we humans may not be God's definition of good.

will you then say that someone will become a ruler and a priest in heaven without being born again and without knowing or believing in christ? does this agree with john3:3-6? or doesnt the catholic church believe their bible again, just to appeal to atheist?

many things can color what your conscience says is good or bad. your environment, the society you find yourself, your religion, your family, what you see on the television. etc. that is why the bible encouraged us to train our conscience to distinguish what is right and wrong.

the preaching we do is to inform people so that they can change. and this good news must be preached in all nation before the end comes. so God knows that it is unfair to judge someone who didnt know about him to death. that is why we preach. I also know that Most atheist have heard the goodnews, so no excuss for such ones. I also believe that those atheists the pope is talking to know what xtians preach. their refusal is their personal decisions. why not tell them pointedly what the bible says if they choose not to change.

as for those who know nothing about God and the goodnews and died on the process, they will be resurrected during the thousand year reign of christ. they will be giving opportunity to make changes and will be judged based on their deed during the thousand years.

well, it is CATHOLIC TEACHING.

1 Like

Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by tochyano(m): 8:15pm On Sep 12, 2013
I percieve the usherin in and coronation of the anti-christ.we are thruly at the egde of eternity cry
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by EMERITUS1(m): 8:16pm On Sep 12, 2013
Those who have never heard of Jesus and live a good life right eously according to their conscience will make heaven but all who despite coming to the knowledge of truth and still neglect Jesus, we know what is their fate.
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by gabby227(m): 8:22pm On Sep 12, 2013
you are a fool period
Re: Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven by NiccoC(m): 8:29pm On Sep 12, 2013
Judas2013: waiting till he tells the truth: God doesn't exist!

even ur name proves the kinda person u r. Judas, betrayer

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (20) (Reply)

Apostle Suleman & Wife, Lizzy Loved Up Like Never Before In New Photos / Biodun Fatoyinbo And His N1m Gucci Tote Bag (photo) / Nairaland Christian Singles Thread (no Holds Barred)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.