Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,844 members, 7,956,170 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:43 AM

What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? (4952 Views)

Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / What Does Mahinmi Mean In Yoruba? / What Does 'Have A Drink' Mean In The Western Society? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:25pm On Sep 13, 2013
This question is a corollary of the submission of Musiwa in a question related to the name, asked in a thread in the politics section. According to Musiwa, whose submission I buttressed after questioning some elderly people, the name doesn't have a meaning. If you break it into "oba" and "sanjo", the meaning you get makes you cast some doubt: Oba (king) and sanjo (to reward something good done to). While it's common for 'ordinary' people to reward each other it's doubtful and unheard of that an oba rewards the way 'ordindary' people do. What do you think?
Re: What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? by dynicmoi01: 6:50am On Feb 05, 2019
@orlandowoh, God is our greatest king and he rewards us for all our efforts

1 Like

Re: What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? by macof(m): 10:58pm On Feb 05, 2019
OrlandoOwoh:
This question is a corollary of the submission of Musiwa in a question related to the name, asked in a thread in the politics section. According to Musiwa, whose submission I buttressed after questioning some elderly people, the name doesn't have a meaning. If you break it into "oba" and "sanjo", the meaning you get makes you cast some doubt: Oba (king) and sanjo (to reward something good done to). While it's common for 'ordinary' people to reward each other it's doubtful and unheard of that an oba rewards the way 'ordindary' people do. What do you think?
The "oba" in the name I believe refers to Obaluaye
Re: What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? by Pearlyakin(m): 11:06pm On Feb 05, 2019
According to my research and findings the name is actually from Obaluaye an orisha among the yoruba people, in yoruba land when you are afflicted by orisha Obaluaye you have to add the name of orisha Obaluaye to your Name in order to appease the god, so that's where the name Obasanjo comes from and same goes for Obafemi.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? by Olu317(m): 3:36am On Feb 07, 2019
Pearlyakin:
According to my research and findings the name is actually from Obaluaye an orisha among the yoruba people, in yoruba land when you are afflicted by orisha Obaluaye you have to add the name of orisha Obaluaye to your Name in order to appease the god, so that's where the name Obasanjo comes from and same goes for Obafemi.
Perfect answer. Thanks for giving out the real meaning of the name because some people thought Oba as a prefix to certain names means king's related name as it is assumed Oba-sanjo might be related to king's title. Unfortunately,this is incorrect and this is the reason people blundered about Yoruba names,meaning and eventually translate them wrongfully which has affected us so badly in today's Yoruba land.

In fact , Babafemi, Obadare, Obafemi, Obasanjo, Oba damisi etc were not derive from royalty names as because the names are small pox victims name ;Soponá , the god of small-pox;*king of the world*, which used to be referred to in reverent tone in olden days as Baba so that he/it would not let disease kill them.

Kudos. cool.
Re: What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? by Pearlyakin(m): 4:48am On Feb 07, 2019
Olu317:
Perfect answer. Thanks for giving out the real meaning of the name because some people thought Oba as a prefix to certain names means king's related name as it is assumed Oba-sanjo might be related to king's title. Unfortunately,this is incorrect and this is the reason people blundered about Yoruba names,meaning and eventually translate them wrongfully which has affected us so badly in today's Yoruba land.

In fact , Babafemi, Obadare, Obafemi, Obasanjo, Oba damisi etc were not derive from royalty names as because the names are small pox victims name ;Soponá , the god of small-pox;*king of the world*, which used to be referred to in reverent tone in olden days as Baba so that he/it would not let disease kill them.

Kudos. cool.
Thank you very much sir, also most yoruba names that has the prefix Baba is also related to Shopona, the great Obaluaye and according to my research and findings also any yoruba name with the prefix sho or osho is related to the yoruba god of agriculture/farming orisha oko and that's why names such as shoyinka is a short form of orishaokoyimika and it's not being surrounded by wizards just like the way we have shobayo, shotayo, sofela etc.

1 Like

Re: What Does The Name, Obasanjo Mean In Yoruba? by Olu317(m): 1:39pm On Feb 07, 2019
Pearlyakin:

Thank you very much sir, also most yoruba names that has the prefix Baba is also related to Shopona, the great Obaluaye and according to my research and findings also any yoruba name with the prefix sho or osho is related to the yoruba god of agriculture/farming orisha oko and that's why names such as shoyinka is a short form of orishaokoyimika and it's not being surrounded by wizards just like the way we have shobayo, shotayo, sofela etc.
Yes, I agree with you 100%

(1) (Reply)

5 Common Cases Of Colonial Mentality In Nigeria / Addressing The Misconceptions Regarding The Great Bini Empire By Yorubas / Almost All Yoruba Kings Are Muslims (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.