Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,390 members, 7,861,090 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 11:45 PM

I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare (873 Views)

Blessing Okagbare's White Wedding Photos With Hubby, Igho Otegheri / US Embassy Ruins Blessing Okagbare’s Honeymoon / Blessing Okagbare Wins 200m Gold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare by Roserbert(m): 9:07pm On Sep 13, 2013
Delta Honours Her Own, Blessing Okagbare

Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan on behalf of the Government and People of Delta state has revealed the state's intentions of honoring their own Sapele born champion, Blessing Okagbare.
Governor Uduaghan who made the announcement during a state reception held in honour of Okagbare following her brilliant performance at the 2013 World Championship in Athletics in Moscow said a Stadium would be named after her, She would be made the Delta State Youth Ambassador, Landed property in Asaba, a cash prize of N2.5m and Training grant of $120,000 per year till 2016 (3years = $360,000) to remove distraction and boost her eagerness to compete in competitions and prepare her for 2016 Olympics in Rio.
Governor Uduaghan also stated that the State would work out support and training grants for at least 4 other young athletes that the state can prepare for 2016 Olympics.
The Olympic and World medalist, Blessing Okagbare, while appreciating the state government for the honor done to her said she feels proud to be a Nigerian and feels blessed to be a Deltan.
Okagbare who could not hold back her tears while thanking the State Governor, Dr. Emmanuel Uduaghan for all his support prior to the success further called on Nigeria as a nation to support sport men and women, in her word, "Its a great thing to be celebrated but it should not just be only when you win laurels that you are celebrated"
"It is my opinion that we can do better to achieve what we want in track and field events, its not easy for an athlete who has worked hard, hoping to achieve success at the end of a competetion to come out with nothing to show for it. It takes a lot of courage, determination and faith for such an athlete to bounce back from such a disappointment and I have been a victim of that. Because no one wants to fail even when they have not paid the price, there is a price for every success and we all have to pay it."
"It is not only when an athlete becomes a champion that he/she needs support, not after winning medals but before achieving success. It is a great thing to be celebrated after achieving success for the nation and the state but it all comes down to what was done prior to the success. So, on behalf of myself and fellow athletes, I want to appeal to the Federal Government, National Assembly as well as the private sector to do more to improve track and field in Nigeria."
Re: I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare by Roserbert(m): 9:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
SOURCE: Delta State Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/deltastatenigeria?ref=hl
Re: I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare by Roserbert(m): 9:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
and I love these piz
Re: I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare by bilo1(m): 9:23pm On Sep 13, 2013
Kool tins
Re: I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare by quindebbie: 10:36pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hello friends,am debbie and a gud atlete.I realy need 2 run professionaly.but rite nw,I run 4 ma skul unijos.but I want 2 go more professional.I run 10.58sec am 5ft 9inch.ma pin 26a050b1.I wud apreciate ur help tanx
Re: I Feel Proud To Be A Nigerian, I Feel Blessed To Be A Deltan" -blessing Okagbare by solomon111(m): 12:05am On Sep 14, 2013
This girl dey enjoy sha.

(1) (Reply)

Brazil 2014: Ahmed Musa Set To Rule The World? / If Suarez Was African? / Football Viewing Centre Setup!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.