Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:30 AM

Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? - Nairaland / General (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? (19029 Views)

Worlds Sexiest Accents / Top 13 Countries With The S*xiest Accents In The World / Are These The World's Sexiest Accents? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 3:27am On Sep 17, 2013
^^
I don't 'fink' so grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 5:24am On Sep 17, 2013
Baybe: Seriously, what's with the fake American accents undecided. They are presenting to a Nigeria audience and not American audience, why change your accent? It's getting annoying.
Some even make use of the accent when speaking pidgin English, Smh :-
no one is able 2 change his/her ascent.

Maybe u confusing pronouncing it correctly as change of ascent.

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Rossikk(m): 6:41am On Sep 17, 2013
Akshow: Fake accents thread bore me on nairaland cos it seems u guys mistake good English and right pronunciation for fake accent. They are trying to pronounce words d way dey ought to be pronounced and u guys are here hating. I'm sure y'all will stil complain if they use thick naija accent. Fake una free dem joorr.

You're talking RUBBISH. And the fact you have 18 likes shows that many viewers are just as fake and self-hating as you. You all need therapy, so you learn to appreciate your own authenticity, as opposed to faking it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Rossikk(m): 6:47am On Sep 17, 2013
25Calibre:

Absolute rubbish!!! Backward thinking African mentality.

Do the Russians or Germans or French or Chinese try to fake their accents when speaking English? Why do feel you won't be taken serious till you fake an accent? Faking accent comes from a feeling of inferiority and inadequacy.

Did Einstein drop his thick german accent for an American one before being recognised? Truth of the matter is, it doesn't matter how you speak but what you speak. work hard to succeed in life, if you are intelligent, even if you speaking with an alien accent, people will listen.

What do you mean by ''African mentality''? You're just as bad as the person you're trying to correct. The overwhelming majority of Africans NEVER fake their accent.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by asamaigho(m): 6:48am On Sep 17, 2013
grin
Akshow: Fake accents thread bore me on nairaland cos it seems u guys mistake good English and right pronunciation for fake accent. They are trying to pronounce words d way dey ought to be pronounced and u guys are here hating. I'm sure y'all will stil complain if they use thick naija accent. Fake una free dem joorr.

[color=#990000][quote author=Akshow]Fake accents thread bore me on nairaland cos it seems u guys mistake good English and right pronunciation for fake accent. They are trying to pronounce words d way dey ought to be pronounced and u guys are here hating.

It obvious you wrote your waec in a special center.....or else how can you not know the meaning of accent, abeg go make use of your DICKtionary.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Rossikk(m): 6:51am On Sep 17, 2013
Effwazobia: I guess it must be working for them. I mean look at the audience and those ratings. If I were them, I would keep using em. Why quit. If it ain't broke, you know the rest. The numbers show that most Nigerians can't really tell that those accents are fake like a 3 dollar bill. Just check the ratings and the seamless revenues being generated. Most Nigers no send o as long as it sounds different. Na una toro be that o

That's the biggest problem. Many of the ''viewers'' themselves are just as stup.id, fake-loving, and self-hating as the fake presenters.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by sayso: 6:54am On Sep 17, 2013
no mind those idi--ots on TV.Channels e.g
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 17, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nogen: 7:14am On Sep 17, 2013
Abule oshi: like Osas the presenter of Malta Dance Hall who calls her name and Surname with so much funne that makes you wonder what she is saying.

Osas is no fake please. Google her!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by GoodlukJonathan: 8:13am On Sep 17, 2013
mikigen: Most especially channels t.v

Maupe Ogun
That large, loud and pushy mouthed presenter that pushed Obafaye o'er the cliff!

Fake asss babe!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by bibi1234: 8:17am On Sep 17, 2013
Hahaha seriously annoying even some OAP & Video Vj's as well..they switch from american accent to the british accent when talking so funny...they don't even know the difference all na accent :p

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Lilimax(f): 8:32am On Sep 17, 2013
gregtochi:

Adaora Oleh (MTN Project fame)

Benjamin Joseph (MTN Project fame)

Osas Maltina (Dance all)

III Ryms (Glo African/Nigerian Idol)

ETC
Free them joor angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 17, 2013
It is possible to speak good, clear english without an American or British accent.

Speaking without an accent at all should be the goal, especially in areas of the Yoruba H-factor and the Hausa and Igbo inflections.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Lilimax(f): 8:40am On Sep 17, 2013
sayso: no mind those idi--ots on TV.Channels e.g
BAd belle cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by bellyjean(m): 8:58am On Sep 17, 2013
ledafaze:

Examples

These fake people are taking over now, u see them on TV, hear them on radio, reality shows, talent hunts!!! Laf wan kill me for here... Dem yeye channels tv, cool fm, beat fm, inspiration fm, all dem fake fm presenters

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Itoroetti(m): 9:21am On Sep 17, 2013
jammyng: As much as i agree with you to an extent, I'd also add that they try to speak with diction which is the correct way of pronunciation.

so achebe and wole soyinka do not apply diction when speaking
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by nicechic(f): 9:24am On Sep 17, 2013
Ajibel: 'Cuz they just wanna gonna be like 'em cheesy
. Lol
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by nachie20(f): 9:30am On Sep 17, 2013
What's with all the hating? Oral English is not taught just for the fun of it.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by pongwa(m): 9:30am On Sep 17, 2013
I don't even understand what some people are saying on this thread, seems to me they're also typing with a fake accent Smh! All i know is the way we speak should reflect our identity (except we do not have any). Get to any good university in nigeria. Go to their language/linguistics professors and hear how Nigerians should speak the language. Faking accent is sure fun when u do it well. I'v seen jason statham movies where he spoke with an american and british accent perfectly. But our dear presenters are speaking martian accent i guess smh.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 17, 2013
Channels TV presenters do not fake accents o.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Akshow: 9:37am On Sep 17, 2013
asamaigho: grin

[color=#990000]
foooooooooooooooooool. that is what u are.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by nachie20(f): 9:39am On Sep 17, 2013
So many peolpe here can't even diferentiate between good English and accented English. For them, once you don't speak Nigerian English, u're faking it. Nonsense.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by Akshow: 9:46am On Sep 17, 2013
Rossikk:

You're talking RUBBISH. And the fact you have 18 likes shows that many viewers are just as fake and self-hating as you. You all need therapy, so you learn to appreciate your own authenticity, as opposed to faking it.
I don't blame you. just because u have a thick tongue and pronounce all English word badly u think everyone is fake abi? mumulish somebody, 21 people agree and like my post cos u ignorant lots here on nairaland mistake good pronunciation with fake accent cos u are hating nobodies trying to find something with anything good. typical naija mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by 25Calibre(m): 10:16am On Sep 17, 2013
Rossikk:

What do you mean by ''African mentality''? You're just as bad as the person you're trying to correct. The overwhelming majority of Africans NEVER fake their accent.

Yes because there are only two places in the world you'd see people faking accents, Hollywood (where at times an actor would have to fake accent in order to fit into the character he/she is trying to portray) & In Africa where people fake accents because they feel theirs is inferior.

Variety is the spice of life, what type of world would we live in if everyone is speaking in an American accent?

This is why I love the Jamaicans, they never fake accent and I love their accent like crazy.

I think presenters should be accent-neutral as possible, speak clear English but still have the Nigerian flavour to it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by 25Calibre(m): 10:19am On Sep 17, 2013
pongwa: I don't even understand what some people are saying on this thread, seems to me they're also typing with a fake accent Smh! All i know is the way we speak should reflect our identity (except we do not have any). Get to any good university in nigeria. Go to their language/linguistics professors and hear how Nigerians should speak the language. Faking accent is sure fun when u do it well. I'v seen jason statham movies where he spoke with an american and british accent perfectly. But our dear presenters are speaking martian accent i guess smh.

Lol in one of his recent movies, PARKER, he speak with a concentrated Texan language, and he pulls it off pretty well.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by LeStylo: 10:31am On Sep 17, 2013
Nigerians remain the craziest. Absolute lack of pride in self-worth. Go to Ghana, Kenya, Sudan, India, Mexico, Rwanda... but Nigerians are just whiter than oyinbo people. Sadly, other African countries are catching the bug especially Ghana that always wants to outdo Nigeria.

It's only a Nigerian that sees you off to the airport and returns with an American accent. shocked

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by GHKWAME(m): 10:53am On Sep 17, 2013
Le Stylo: Nigerians remain the craziest. Absolute lack of pride in self-worth. Go to Ghana, Kenya, Sudan, India, Mexico, Rwanda... but Nigerians are just whiter than oyinbo people. Sadly, other African countries are catching the bug especially Ghana that always wants to outdo Nigeria.

It's only a Nigerian that sees you off to the airport and returns with an American accent. shocked

Dillusions 0f Grandeur.... Look at how you have brought in Ghana into what is clearly a Nigerian wahala, and yet you claim Ghana is trying to 0ut do Nigeria.
What is in Nigeria that Ghana wants to 0ut do? 0mbatse cult or boko haram or niger delta thugs or kidnappings or constant generator fumes? total fuckupdness dude!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by BankuTilapia: 11:13am On Sep 17, 2013
I hv u seen dat midget Jim Ike in an interview before? I hv to laugh my Ghanaian asssss out wit his 4-1-9 American slang and he is going out wit dat albino woman who also luv to do dat shitt a lot. grin grin
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by delors(m): 11:15am On Sep 17, 2013
Bimpss: Lmao! @op ikr!!. That's the exact reason I don't watch nollywood movies anymore. I remember the first time I showed my akata friends a naija movie(Desmond Elliot was the lead actor, I think) and they were all like "why is he talking like that?" I busted into laughter at how embarrassing it was. I don't know why naija people think having an American accent is the proper way to speak. I especially HATE how people like ice prince put on that "I am so hood" wanna be accent, everytime I hear him rap I just want to shut him up and just go like "No, just no." "Don't ever do that again in your life!"
So you would rather have everyone talk like who? Hon Pat Obahiagbon? Desmond sounds cool as far as I can tell. Nollywood dudes sound cool (well, except for that bad guy always playing the role of a hired killer but hardly kills a fly. Cant remember his name now). The ladies are the cause of Nollywood wahala. The Tonto Dickehs and co, twisting English to make it even more confusing.
truth is, if some of these dudes speak with accents, it is probably because they lived abroad for a long time and imbibed the intonation. It is always the case. Ice Prince doesnt rap with an accent that much. The other day he did a weather presentation on a TV station in the States, he sounded natural although with words like 'whadup peeps', 'hey man', etc Listen to MI's songs, especially his early ones, listen to the way he pronounces his words, he didnt use any foreign accent but his pronunciation of words were different. He doesnt even speak pidgin that much. Listen to Banky W, his pronunciations are on point (and some peeps think he forms an accent). Listen to Sinzu, Mode 9, Godwon, etc those guys spent time abroad, so their pronunciations are different (or better than the average Nigerian's). Tha's not accent, that's proper pronunciation.
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by BankuTilapia: 11:19am On Sep 17, 2013
Le Stylo: Nigerians remain the craziest. Absolute lack of pride in self-worth. Go to Ghana, Kenya, Sudan, India, Mexico, Rwanda... but Nigerians are just whiter than oyinbo people. Sadly, other African countries are catching the bug especially Ghana that always wants to outdo Nigeria.

U stupiddddd twatttt wot at all is in dat Godforsaken country dat we Ghanaians envy. Why do u hv to bring Ghana into diz. Stupidddd low life primitive moronic nigerian. grin cheesy
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by BankuTilapia: 11:24am On Sep 17, 2013
GH KWAME:
Dillusions 0f Grandeur.... Look at how you have brought in Ghana into what is clearly a Nigerian wahala, and yet you claim Ghana is trying to 0ut do Nigeria.
What is in Nigeria that Ghana wants to 0ut do? 0mbatse cult or boko haram or niger delta thugs or kidnappings or constant generator fumes? total fuckupdness dude!

Don't mind diz asssssholes, they hold us in high esteem but they are too shy to say it but we don't give a phuck about them. grin cheesy grin Nigeria is da hello dat Holy Bible is talking about. grin
Re: Nigerian Presenters And The 'fake' American Accents? by GHKWAME(m): 11:43am On Sep 17, 2013
Locally Acquired Foreign Accent

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Gives Food Items & Money To Mum Of Malnourished Kids He Found On Streets / Run Whatsapp Without Internet Connection? / Diesel Tanker Rams Into School Wall In Lagos (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.