Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,852 members, 7,862,786 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 06:30 AM

What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? (589 Views)

"Touch NOT My Anointed..." What Does It Really Mean? / ‘LOL’ Really Mean ‘lucifer Our Lord’? / Could It Really Be That A Person Can Be Born Gay? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 15, 2013
I hear people saying, 'I'm a born again christian' and I'm like, how can you be a 'born again' christian. If you were not born again, then you were not a Christian. A real Christian is already born again, so what's with the 'I'm a bornagain Christian?

Abeg what does it mean to be born again? Somebody? Anybody?
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 15, 2013
Does this help?
...if you confess with your mouth that
Jesus is Lord and believe in
your heart that God raised
him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is
justified, and with the mouth
one confesses and is saved.
Rom 10:9-10
ESV
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by scaler345: 12:44pm On Sep 15, 2013
@idnoble, Please, I don't seem to get it. Saved from what or from whom rather? I'm kinda confused.
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
idnoble135: Does this help?
...if you confess with your mouth that
Jesus is Lord and believe in
your heart that God raised
him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is
justified, and with the mouth
one confesses and is saved.
Rom 10:9-10
ESV
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by scaler345: 1:31pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe:
Madam, what's the purpose of your quote? Are refuting or affirming?
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe:
lol... To be born again means you believe in Jesus, accept His work at calvary and confess Him as Lord and Savior.
Then are you born again.
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Pleasantstream: 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
The term born again have been misunderstood or rather misinterpreted.
Read John 3:1-8 or all. You would understand that every believer now is not yet born again rather God gave us a little of his spirit as a seal of ownership and as we walk in obedience to his words .
We will be born again only when Christ returns and we are changed like him to become spirit beings free from death, physical barriers that we could enter a house without the door as a barrier, all our thoughts would be transparent and death would not have any power over us. This is when we are born again. But for now we aren't yet just misunderstand of the phrase.
God blessings
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Sep 15, 2013
scaler345: Madam, what's the purpose of your quote? Are refuting or affirming?
I'm as confused as you are gringrin
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
idnoble135:
lol... To be born again means you believe in Jesus, accept His work at calvary and confess Him as Lord and Savior.
Then are you born again.
That's equivalent to saying, if you are a Christian, you are already born again right? But why do some people claim to be 'born again Christians'. If you claim to be a Christian and you are not born again that means you are not a Christian.
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2013
Baybe: That's equivalent to saying, if you are a Christian, you are already born again right? But why do some people claim to be 'born again Christians'. If you claim to be a Christian and you are not born again that means you are not a Christian.
To be born again and to be a christian means basically the same.
It is generally believed that difference came when some people who were christians claim to be a christians because they were born into a christian family. And at such, they missed it.
To be a true christian in the real sense will imply accepting Christ and confessing Him as Lord.
The difference was coined so that people will not think they are christians and saved simply because they were born into christian family or given a christian name.
Did you get what i'm trying to say?
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2013
idnoble135:
It is generally believed that difference came when some people who were christians claim to be a christians because they were born into a christian family. And at such, they missed it.
To be a true christian in the real sense will imply accepting Christ and confessing Him as Lord.
The difference was coined so that people will not think they are christians and saved simply because they were born into christian family or given a christian name.

And this difference was coined by who? Did any of the first Apostles claim to be born again? They all claimed they were Christians, if I remember correctly. None claimed to be born again.
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Sep 15, 2013
^
So whats your point?
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 15, 2013
idnoble135: ^
So whats your point?
You claim a difference was coined? By who? You?

The OP says a Christian is by default born again. Do you accept that?
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 15, 2013
Perhaps if you got my point you will know your quote is unnecessary.
Like i said, it was coined to help differentiate between one who has accepted Christ.
Perhaps you missed this.
idnoble135:
Read my posts very well pls. Reading twice might help. Dont put words into my mouth.
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 15, 2013
idnoble135: Perhaps if you got my point you will know your quote is unnecessary.
Like i said, it was coined to help differentiate between one who has accepted Christ.
Perhaps you missed this.

Read my posts very well pls. Reading twice might help. Dont put words into my mouth.

My question is who 'coined' this difference? I'm not aware these 'difference' existed back then. That's the main point the OP hopes to pass across, methinks.. that the term 'born again Christian' is redundant.

Maybe you should be the one reading 'thrice'.. smiley

Baybe: That's equivalent to saying, if you are a Christian, you are already born again right? But why do some people claim to be 'born again Christians'. If you claim to be a Christian and you are not born again that means you are not a Christian.
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Sep 15, 2013
lol... The OP did not ask that. Here is what she asked.
Baybe: That's equivalent to saying, if you are a Christian, you are already born again right? But [b]why do some people claim to be 'born again Christians'. If you claim to be a Christian and you are not born again that means you are not a Christian.[/b]
But all the same, i'd reply your "who" question. My simple answer is that no one can actually trace out the root. Just like you can not trace out some poems, eg, one your favorites "1,2 buckle my shoe". cheesy
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by scaler345: 2:45pm On Sep 15, 2013
aManFromMars:

My question is who 'coined' this difference? methinks.. that the term 'born again Christian' is redundant.
That's what I'd termed tautology. I mean, how can you be a christian without being born again? Please let them help us out!
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
idnoble135: lol... The OP did not ask that. Here is what she asked.
But all the same, i'd reply your "who" question. My simple answer is that no one can actually trace out the root. Just like you can not trace out some poems, eg, one your favorites "1,2 buckle my shoe". cheesy

So you have no answer? Good.
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 15, 2013
scaler345: That's what I'd termed tautology. I mean, how can you be a christian without being born again? Please help!

Lol, help me ask them... I think it was a desperate move to separate Christianity from 'evil' acts committed by so called Christians.. The new one these days is 'you must be led by the Spirit'... anyone led by the spirit can not commit sin.. grin

So if you commit sin (lie, homosexuality, fornication), you're not a Christian talkless of born again, or born of the Spirit and water..

Honestly, no one is more confused about Christianity than Christians...
Re: What Does It Really Mean To Be Born-again? by scaler345: 2:50pm On Sep 15, 2013
idnoble135: lol... The OP did not ask that. Here is what she asked.
Mr. Idnoble, you are beginning to amaze me.

(1) (Reply)

German Churches Introduce 'erotic' Sermons On Sexuality, Gay Love / Tb Joshua Predicted Agagu's Corpse Plane Crash / Why Should A GOD Be So Insecure? Good Debate Between A Christian And A Hindu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.