Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,161 members, 7,815,056 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:15 AM

Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC (1374 Views)

Nigerians Can’t Wait Any Longer For Steady Power Supply – Fashola / I And My Family Have Changed Our Minds After Listenning To Prof. Osinbajo. / River Niger Bridge May Collapse Soon – Unizik Vc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 2:23pm On Sep 15, 2013
Prof. Boniface Egboka, the Vice Chancellor of Nnamdi Azikiwe University (Unizik) Awka, and Chief Ndubuisi Nwobu, President of Awka Chamber of Commerce, Industries, Mines and Agriculture (ACCIMA) recently told newsmen in separate interviews that electricity supply in Awka, Anambra State capital, has improved tremendously, Sam Egburonu reports
For some months now, some residents of Awka, Anambra State capital, have been experiencing sustained improved power supply, and this, according to Prof. Boniface Egboka, the Vice Chancellor of Nnamdi Azikiwe University (Unizik) Awka and Chief Ndubuisi Nwobu, President of Awka Chamber of Commerce, Industries, Mines and Agriculture (ACCIMA) has ushered in “new lease of life, new enthusiasm and hope for residents.”

“Not long ago, power supply in Awka, as in most communities across the country, was anything to be proud of. But today, the story has changed and residents are hopeful and praying that this would be sustained by Professor Chinedu Nebo- led federal government electricity revolution,” said Egboka.

Commenting on this improvement, Egboka said: If one can talk about one’s experience here in Awka, one can say that the university community and the community around it have experienced a new thing. For some time now, the students have been coming around to thank me and to glorify the government for that effort. The community around the university has done so too.
So, one believes that if the minister will be given enough time and enough support, the moral, financial, political and other support he needs, he will do a lot better than where he met the situation. The efforts to get enough power supply here actually started during the tenure of his predecessor, Prof. Berth Nnaji.

In fact, recently, we had to commend the power ministry for this monumental improvement. As you know, universities cannot run without adequate power supply. It is what is needed in achieving optimal results in teaching and research. So, that is the situation and one believes that there will be greater improvement with time.”

Nebo added: “Life is better, people are happier. We have more power source all the day round, day and night. This has a lot of impact on security, because the lights are on, the streetlights are on. It has a very serious impact on research and productivity because people can now stay late hours, work on Saturdays and Sundays. Lecturers and students can also benefit. We used to spend a lot of money on diesel and we are going to cut down a lot on that. Already, we have cut down from the N1.4million we spent every week on diesel to more than half. But it is not only the cost in terms of money, but cost in terms of the environment, because when you burn all these fuels in the generators, you release a lot of noxious gases into the environment. These include carbon monoxide, hydrogen sulphide ammonia and so on. All these are not healthy for not just the environment but the human beings and animals. All these small scale industrialists, those who rely on generators for their small scale industries and other small scale entrepreneurial activities, the impacts are on them. Around the university and beyond, the current steady power supply has changed their lives. So, it has very wide-ranging implications.

For instance, when you talk abbot Ghana, Republic of Ghana having stable power supply, one is very pleased that in Nigeria, at least here, we can talk of the same thing. And we pray that it should be sustained and the sustainability is very important. We can make it sustainable if we appreciate what has been done so far and encourage the government, the authorities in the power ministry, including the PHCN. Happily, it is no longer a storm in a teacup, because it has lasted for more than one month. Even though once in a while, the supply goes off, but in just five or ten minutes it is back. Sometimes it takes just about two minutes for it to come back. And the power we are talking about comes in full scale. It is not the type that comes in 20 or 30 percent illumination, it is full blast. As a result, you can use all your electrical facilities – freezers, storage facilities, and so on and so forth. So, it has far ranging implications, not just for the university community but for the society at large, especially in the sociology-economic activities that I have enumerated, including the cut down of noxious gases on the environment. Even the terrible noise pollution from the generator sets are reduced, if not eliminated. Besides, you will no longer be talking about such issues like fires from generator sets, kerosene or fuel explosions or people dying from generator gases.

4 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 15, 2013
They are going to be past issues. You will no longer be talking about the huge amounts being spent by Nigerians in buying or repairing generators and fueling them.

As it is for the university, so it is for the society.”

Egboka explains the source of the new lease of life in Awka thus: “First of all, there is this central generating facility that was brought in to support this new one being built and was hooked into this our line, the Enugu-Onitsha high tension line.

Before, we used to get power from Nibo power station and it was terrible. The power source was very low and very poor. Then we used to spend millions of Naira on fuel and diesel. But now, we get direct connection from the high tension from the station at Agu Awka. This has brought a lot of improvement. And it is not only in the university community, or the Government House or the Central Bank or Juhel Pharmaceuticals, but many communities here are enjoying the improved power supply…

“Already, as I have said, we have experienced this change for over a month now and I pray it is sustained. If it is sustained, business people that left here before because of poor power supply will come back. As you know, people from this part of the country are very entrepreneurial. Instead of all these generators and purchasing of diesel, if people are sure of credible and sustainable power supply, they will come back. Many of them have about two or three generators that they are using and frustratingly managing. So, they will be noticing. They are businessmen and women. They will be noticing this positive change even more than all of us. Even more than you media people. And if they are convinced that it will be regular and continuous and I pray that it will be sustainable, they will hook on it and there will be a lot of change. We need to encourage our young men and women to become entrepreneurs and become self-sustaining. And this will be a boost if it will continue and I’m sure government is conscious of it.

Chief Ndubuisi Nwobu, President of Awka Chamber of Commerce Industries, Mines and Agriculture (ACCIMA) also confirm the alleged improvement in electricity supply.

According to him, “Since, we learnt that a mobile sub-station was brought to the Agu Awka area to decongest the Nibo power station, power supply has improved drastically in that part of Awka, from the Millennium Industry into the town. But, I can say that those who are making use of the Nibo sub-station are yet to see this improved power situation in Awka. Maybe it is yet to come.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/current-steady-power-supply-in-awka-has-changed-our-lives-unizik-vc/

3 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by idumuose(m): 3:40pm On Sep 15, 2013
Those felons like El rufai who don't wish Nigeria well will see
an improved Nigeria under Jonathan.

1 Like

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by theshadyexpress(m): 3:52pm On Sep 15, 2013
front page please

1 Like

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
^^^^
Really?

1 Like

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by ChristKid1: 4:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
Well the VC is a liar. There is no steady power supply in Awka.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Rossikk(m): 4:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
I'm getting tired of waking up to all this good news.

Are you sure this is still Nigeria or is it another country?
cool

1 Like

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by stebell(m): 4:04pm On Sep 15, 2013
Need I say de Air is getting Fresher n Fresher as de day goes by. G7 Govs, El-Rufai, haters continue to be blind and deaf to progress made by GEJ and his team. As for me and ma family, we are already on de train of positive tins happenning.
Long Live Niger Delta
Long Live South South
Long Live #Team GEJ#
Long Live GEJ
Long Live Naija. Peace!

7 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by takeprofit: 4:09pm On Sep 15, 2013
not only awka. umuahia is also witnessing an improved power supply.
kudos to goodluck jonathan. more power to his elbow

2 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 15, 2013
Rossikk: I'm getting tired of waking up to all this good news.

cool

3 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 15, 2013
@moderators, front page or... If the thread where Aregbe commissioned 150 wheelbarrows (O-taxi scheme) made front page, this one should also make front page.

5 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @moderators, front page or... If the thread where Aregbe commissioned 150 wheelbarrows (O-taxi scheme) made front page, this one should also make front page.

The last time I checked, lies and fabrications don't make front page.

2 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 15, 2013
What lies people in the South East won't say to convince us that this government is working?
If the government of GEJ gave you steady power supply, which I doubt, I've been having steady power supply for years in Ede Road, Ile-Ife.

2 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 15, 2013
Rossikk: I'm getting tired of waking up to all this good news.

cool

U should be Tired of epileptic fall and rise in power supply since Nigeria itself !!!

If the story is true,the VC should expect to enjoy the treasure for few months only .....he will be back to status quo soon !!!

I wonder when some myopic lots will stop asking us to JumpUp over Short-term Power Supply !!!

There has always been rise and fall in Electricity supply in any administration in Nigeria .........

I enjoyed stable powe supply in Abuja during Berth Nnaji than any Minister, now that He is gone .......tis now status quo !!!

I am not gonna Jump-Up until an administration that provide 150days Uninterrupted power supply in Nigeria !!!

Myopia!!!
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by BrokenTV: 5:42pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson you are a big fool, am not surprise about this, you always show your trade mark in every post hypocrisy, is always the negative side that you see.

2 Likes

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by baynix(m): 5:54pm On Sep 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: @moderators, front page or... If the thread where Aregbe commissioned 150 wheelbarrows (O-taxi scheme) made front page, this one should also make front page.

[size=16]Beaf, see how you crying for FrontPage like a puppet?? Why not messsage your Mod, Akamu4eva.. he's surely going to send to FP! Clown![/size] grin grin
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 5:57pm On Sep 15, 2013
Broken TV: Ola Johnson you are a big fool, am not surprise about this, you always show your trade mark in every post hypocrisy, is always the negative side that you see.
Son, I can see you're in pain. May the good lord see you through.
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Akpaife(m): 6:34pm On Sep 15, 2013
Who said dat GEJ is nt working is only d blind dat will said dat GEJ is nt working

GEJ u give us wht OBJ n other past leaders never wish or even plan 2 do 4 us Gej u r d right man 4 Nig ds is wht happen when promise israel messiah even when messiah was born israel never recognise him it is when them kill him dat their eyes open

Our eyes go open when we push him out of power

GEJ till 2019
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by awodman: 6:50pm On Sep 15, 2013
Chris†Kid:
Well the VC is a liar. There is no steady power supply in Awka.

Thank you.

Assuming you aint making a false claim...maybe you area is served by the old Nibo substation not the new one at Agu-akwa

awodman:
According to him, “Since, we learnt that a mobile sub-
station was brought to the Agu Awka area to decongest
the Nibo power station, power supply has improved
drastically in that part of Awka, from the Millennium
Industry into the town. But, I can say that those who are
making use of the Nibo sub-station are yet to see this
improved power situation in Awka. Maybe it is yet to
come.”

1 Like

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by emmatok(m): 6:59pm On Sep 15, 2013
So it is now Awka and no longer Lagos.
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Kingsley1000(m): 8:08pm On Sep 15, 2013
Dats true...even here in onitsha....okpoko layout,iyiowa and awada areas re now experiencing at least 20hrs per day...
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by otokx(m): 8:10pm On Sep 15, 2013
The good gesture should be extended to UNIPORT and ALUU.
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by BrokenTV: 8:24pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Son, I can see you're in pain. May the good lord see you through.
dude all am just saying is take things easy, this rate you are going you are going to crash, you have never posted anything positive about this country since i know you. You have never said anything positive about Gej, when he performs you always look for a way to ridicule him. The reason why this country is not moving forward is because of people like you. I don't have problem with you if you call me son. I prefer to be son than have that type of your brain. If you are really an adult i have to say sorry sycho bribalistic bigot.

1 Like

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 8:57pm On Sep 15, 2013
Broken TV:
dude all am just saying is take things easy, this rate you are going you are going to crash, you have never posted anything positive about this country since i know you. You have never said anything positive about Gej, when he performs you always look for a way to ridicule him. The reason why this country is not moving forward is because of people like you. I don't have problem with you if you call me son. I prefer to be son than have that type of your brain. If you are really an adult i have to say sorry sycho bribalistic bigot.
You started by calling me a big fool. Hope you've not forgotten?
I don't have anything against our President, but some of his policies.
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by theoctopus: 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2013
emmatok: So it is now Awka and no longer Lagos.

Am in Lagos and power supply is greatly improved. At least 12 to 16 hours daily from the previous terrible state I cant even describe
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 15, 2013
baynix:

[size=16]Beaf, see how you crying for FrontPage like a puppet?? Why not messsage your Mod, Akamu4eva.. he's surely going to send to FP! Clown![/size] grin grin

Thats not Beaf. Beaf is @Renoomokri on twitter. He has moved on to bigger and better things.
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by homesteady(m): 9:31pm On Sep 15, 2013
All this APC stooges are so funny!
Now they are saying the VC is lying! But if he said otherwise, they'll troop in like flies and start insulting jonathan

1 Like

Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by kutchs: 9:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You started by calling me a big fool. Hope you've not forgotten?
I don't have anything against our President, but some of his policies.
It should be expected given the above that you praise and commend the good policies as much as you lamphoon him for the bad ones, but I have never seen you do that.
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by iterator25: 9:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
otokx: The good gesture should be extended to UNIPORT and ALUU .
they deserve to be in total darkness
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 9:50pm On Sep 15, 2013
kingoflag:

Thats not Beaf. Beaf is @Renoomokri on twitter. He has moved on to bigger and better things.
Very very soon, the person who created this thread will join his brother Beaf! His days are numbered on nairaland. grin
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by Nobody: 8:06am On Sep 16, 2013
kutchs:
It should be expected given the above that you praise and commend the good policies as much as you lamphoon him for the bad ones, but I have never seen you do that.
Show me a project he initiated and completed.
Re: Current Steady Power Supply In Awka Has Changed Our Lives- UNIZIK VC by ChristKid1: 2:20pm On Sep 16, 2013
No power supply for the last two days in Awka

(1) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan’s Nigeria’s 53rd Independence Speech / Anambra Elections: We Can Stop Obi From Rigging-in Obiano(1) / Presidency Warns Nigerians Against Insulting Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.