Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,682 members, 7,827,528 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:05 PM

Final Year Web Development Project: Help Needed Please. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Final Year Web Development Project: Help Needed Please. (2022 Views)

Join The Ongoing Mobile Application Development Project / Vb.net Project Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Final Year Web Development Project: Help Needed Please. by kessientus(m): 10:28am On Sep 16, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm currently in my final year studying computer science and I've been asked to develop a website based on the concept for which www.coursera.org was designed, which basically is to provide online learning solutions on a broad scale. Besides basic html and perhaps a little something on wordpress, I'm embarrassed to admit my web development experience leaves much to be desired.

I would really appreciate if someone could take a look at the website www.coursera.org and help point me in the right direction as to how to go about developing a website similar to that. I don't even know what tools or languages to use. I'm a pretty fast learner, and I'll appreciate your suggestions to help get me started.

Thanks.
Re: Final Year Web Development Project: Help Needed Please. by adewaleafolabi(m): 2:06pm On Sep 16, 2013
Well there's lots to learn in order to accomplish a site like coursera.

However, given your task at hand you need to learn/ use the following:
1. Html5 and Javascript use a toolkit like Twitter Bootstrap to.make things easier.

2. Databases - simplest to comprehend mysql.

3. Video tutorials - upload them on YouTube and embed them in your site.

4. Web scripting language - PHP or python. These are the easiest and you'd be able to get tons of free turoriald.

5. Frameworks/ CMS - joomla, danjo, drupal , cakephp, code igniter. This is optional but it would make your job faster but you'd have to learn them and understand their underlying programming language .

6.W3schools is a good place to start
Re: Final Year Web Development Project: Help Needed Please. by kessientus(m): 3:12pm On Sep 16, 2013
adewaleafolabi: Well there's lots to learn in order to accomplish a site like coursera.

However, given your task at hand you need to learn/ use the following:
1. Html5 and Javascript use a toolkit like Twitter Bootstrap to.make things easier.

2. Databases - simplest to comprehend mysql.

3. Video tutorials - upload them on YouTube and embed them in your site.

4. Web scripting language - PHP or python. These are the easiest and you'd be able to get tons of free turoriald.

5. Frameworks/ CMS - joomla, danjo, drupal , cakephp, code igniter. This is optional but it would make your job faster but you'd have to learn

them and understand their underlying programming language .

6.W3schools is a good place to start

Thank you so much. I learnt the front end was developed with backbone.js and then I saw something about django and php too, which you have mentioned. I think I'm getting a sense of where this has to go. Thanks again.
Re: Final Year Web Development Project: Help Needed Please. by kodewrita(m): 8:43am On Sep 17, 2013
Nobody is asking you to copy the complete technology stack for Coursera. Just reproduce the structure and use tools that work for you.

Also do some research on MOOCs (this is a final year project and you should include some academic content). ( That simply means do a Google search on it ).
Re: Final Year Web Development Project: Help Needed Please. by kessientus(m): 8:48am On Sep 17, 2013
kodewrita: Nobody is asking you to copy the complete technology stack for Coursera. Just reproduce the structure and use tools that work for you.

Also do some research on MOOCs (this is a final year project and you should include some academic content). ( That simply means do a Google search on it ).

Thanks. I'll do that.

(1) (Reply)

Please I Need Help With Java Source Code / I Am Django / Python Developer / Is It Possible For Someone To Learn Python Without The Knowledge Of Html?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.