Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,560 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? (10971 Views)

My 14-Year-Old Sister Made Shocking Revelations, How Can I Manage The Situation? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Why Do Most Women Enjoy Humiliating Other Women (both In Public Or In The Home)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by younggirl: 10:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
Great suggestions I must say! Scarcity aint funny ooo,but it brings out d best in us.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by netprofitt: 10:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
A woman should not wait for scarcity before she plans her budget, and you must always know that good quality at all times is better than quantity. When you feed your family with quality, nutritious and well balanced meals, your little money will last more for you. Low quality food brings no satisfaction and everyone will be hungry again before you know it(not forgeting it becomes easy for sickness to crop in) The major secret is for you to find a market where food stuff, fruits, vegetables and other needs are sold in bulk. Every Sunday we go to boundary market as early as 6am to shop for fresh foods and fruits and on our way home my hubby says he can't believe the things we take home, compared to the amount of money we came to the market with. Plan your meals and know the value of food you eat. Eg use crayfish instead of stock fish .
Keep the home clean and beautiful, so that scarcity is not written all over your family, just make the home a place your hubby will be happy to come back to and that will lighten his mind and before you know it things will gradually shape up again.
After the dark clouds comes rain and sunshine smiley

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Krisddon: 10:52pm On Sep 17, 2013
[quote author=Yoshi-Master]1. Garri:- You'd want to switch most meals to garri, the food of champions. I hear they now have instant garri in a sachet.
2. Drink lots of water:- Helps ease hunger pangs.
I swear, this was exactly our case (me &my home boy) last two weeks. Even the instant garri was given to us by my friend's girl friend. But just yesterday, the story changed following serious prayer me made on our own and God answered. I tell u what? My guy pray hard, u must not even necessarily have 2 meet any pastor. U can pray on ur own don't depend on only ur hustle alone.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by russianmob27: 11:00pm On Sep 17, 2013
i'll just give my wife my big c-cork cheesy

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by andyanders: 11:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
It all depends on the size of your family. Though you said you are newly married couples.

What I suggest is for you to always try stock some vital food items at home, like try arrange a bag of rice, go to a big shop where they sell gari, not small shopooooo, deposit say like 5k with them, and be collecting say 3 paints whenever you run out.
Get other food items, like say stock fish, egusi like 2 paints, crayfish (2 paints), Pepper, one paint, arrange Ogbolo , salt, like 1k and seasonings. Also get say, 2 cartons of Indomie and spaghetti. Make sure all the above items are been stocked and sun bathed from time to time.

If you know any known cold room, if you cannot store some frozen food items at home, deposit some money there with them and be collecting when needed.

With this plan, for some long months, you cannot run out of food at home and you still look good without anyone noticing changes

With 50k, you can arrange all these items and put them aside.
This items can last for you for months. You will only need to get the kind of vegetable you needed.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by smartg(m): 11:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
yellowpawpaw:

Yep, u tend to be creative when u hv no choice.
And what stops the woman from buying one or two good wigs, always do soko( I don't know whether I gat it)and cover with ur wig whenever u r going out. It helps a lot. Alternate it every one or two weeks interval. U can save a lot from there.

Must u do ur nails if u r blessed with good ones?

U can go for gotv instead of dstv.
Ur gen gat to be on when its it necessary to cut cost. Eg if the whether is cool after a heavy rain, why waste ur fuel?
instead of gotv, why not go for star-time. Atleast that one is even cheaper nd you can save more money both in buying d decoder nd recharging.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by KA24DETT(m): 11:24pm On Sep 17, 2013
russianmob27: i'll just give my wife my big c-cork cheesy

U REALLY GOT JOKES
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 3:15am On Sep 18, 2013
During scarcity,
1) I ate without meat.
2)I drank garri plenty times
3)I drank lipton tea with cowbell and agege bread.
4)Eat concoction rice
5)Wore bend-down boutique.
6)Ate beans a lot.
7)Ate eba and ewedu and stew, okro and stew, with ice-fish
coolPut on generator 7pm-11pm. grin

What of when unexpected visitors drop in on you just like that! What would you do?

One day i had to spend the only 1k i had on me at home when a relation who left his home empty-pocket on a free-ride was left stranded at the bus stop when his friend decided he was not taking them back home. He and his girlfriend walked to my home and there was nothing presentable at home. I had to spend the whole 1k to feed and transport them back home leaving me high and dry! angry

When broke here, i depend on the bulk food stored at home .And every leftover food is kept in the freezer for a long time, so on days like this, i simply de-frost grin

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by alphaomega(m): 5:02am On Sep 18, 2013
sihom: Chilisauce

Cheap is the way I go to adjust to scarcity and hard times, I buy the cheapest products on sale which in some cases means compromising on quality. For instance rather than buy the big pack of omo detergent I do the small satchet packs of N20 so five of that would be N100. What that does is that it frees up more money for me to spread out in covering other expenses.

And like someone said cut out unnecessary expenses, do without the things that are not a necessity and then learn to wait out your problems don't start borrowing money or items left, right and centre to survive you'll only be digging a grave for yourself oooo.

Finally talk things out with God, you know he really is interested in every part of your life, he isn't unaware of your issues and he does know the end from the beginning. Talking to God is good therapy for your soul you may not see or get immediate results but you'll leave his presence 10 times lighter than when you first got there.

i love the final part. The ''Talking things with God'' part. It's the best therapy to scarcity cos in His presence, there is FULLNESS.
Believe me when I say that.

My family just passed through the scarcity phase. As @ yesterday morning, we had only a 2-zeroes figure of cash @home. By evening, we could buy enough 2fill out d house.

How He did it? That's between God n I.

Talk things out wt HIM. He waits 2 listen. That is why He is OLORUN IYANU (a WONDERFUL GOD). El'eti gba'roye (the One who LISTENS ATTENTIVELY).
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by wwwkaycom(m): 5:02am On Sep 18, 2013
Chillisauce: Manage your resources wisely.

Limit the Brazilian weave, go for Chinese.
Refuse that fat broiler lap, go for local fowl.

Sell your car, take a bus.
Do your hair yourself.
Nails yourself.

Home school your kids if possible.
Register in one church and give them your problem. No be only to collect tithe dem Sabi.

Pls add more. Baby dey cry here
it depend on the type of church o. Those old gospel churches are good in this area but be very careful of churches who will give you a quarter bag of rice and bring AIT, NTA, CNN etc to come and cover it ok? Many churches dont even give room to people who have nothing to drop, so this area of church thing need plenty of carefulness. Learn to buy your foodstuff in bulk if you can afford it. If you are broke but have food at home, it is easy to cope. "bi onje ba kuro ninu ise, ise buse" let someone translate this to english, lol... Proper planning is needed at this time. If you live in semi-urban areas where there is land, grow your own vegetables, fruits like pawpaw, plantain, etc If you have a plot of land that you have not start to build, convert it to vegetable garden in the meantime. Look for additional sources of income. Dont sit at home doing nothing in case if you or your wife dont have a job, do home coaching for children of those who can afford it, that's if you have some level of education and can teach, look for little things that you can buy and sell, please dont sell your property except to invest in business, ok , invest time in prayer to your God, before long, everything will be alright, you will smile again, cheers!
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by NATHSUN(m): 5:24am On Sep 18, 2013
Shai scarcity nd suffering dey ar of dsame mother o
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by kliq(m): 5:38am On Sep 18, 2013
NATHSUN: Shai scarcity nd suffering dey ar of dsame mother o
lmao cheesy
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 6:25am On Sep 18, 2013
Chillisauce:

Sometimes, especially when I had my baby and couldn't go tithe salon, the first 2 months, I did my hair my self.

Relax it,

Weave it,

Fix weave on it... Takes like the whole day...breastfeeding and all. cheesy...

For the fixing of weave, the needle should be positioned in a way you use the back of needle to Enter the weave and your hair.

smiley
i fix my nails myself but find it difficult to fix weavon on my hair
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by veave(f): 7:16am On Sep 18, 2013
buy things in bbags and cartons. so when there's no money, you have food to eat.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by deji900: 7:33am On Sep 18, 2013
Never give up , it is not over yet with God all thing are possible. But do not fold ur hand find something to do. Just trust in the Lord and he we direct ur path.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:36am On Sep 18, 2013
How Okija Manages in Time of Scarcity

1. Change from food to Indomie..

2. Gas to firewood

3. Drycleaner to Hand washing

4. Sack all domestic helps including Drivers|house keepers|security|& other support staff.

5. No more clubs.

6. Substitute DSTV for STV|NTA2 Channel 5|AIT|e.t.c..

7. Send my wife and kids to the village to stay with her parents.

8. Use my car for Kabu Kabu

9. No more credit in phones.. Starts writting & Sending Letters via NIPOST.

10. Trade in my Gucci|Calvin's Klein|Dolce & Gabanna|Armanis|Prada|Hugo Boss|DKNY|Tom Ford|Louis Vuitton|Lacoste|Ralph Lauren|etc for Akwa Oche|Ariaria-Wassup|Bend Down Select|Tailor Lo-run|Okrika-Wakeup|e.t.c..

11. Return to my Shrine and do some Ogwu Ego.. grin

OWU NA BASTARD

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by whitedove1: 7:37am On Sep 18, 2013
Its not easy but we jst have to try. For me when I go to d market I buy meat of 500, dry fish 200, crayfish 100. N I tell u I can make three diff meals wit dat. I also buy tomato (small rubber paint) and it last for more than two weeks.

As a lady too I make my hair myself (d simple styles) I can fix all back weaves frmyself! Retouch my hair, I have an Ion hair straightener which I use to straighten my hair, plus I do my nails myself.

As for shopping! I buy OK wears...quality ones I tell u n dey last! Wit 10k I get to buy like 4 or more gud gowns. U get jeans for as low as 700hundred, nice tops btwn 350 to 400. N so on. U also get gud grade shoes n bags at lesser price (both adults n kids). Two days ago I bought two lovely gowns n a nice skirt for my lil niece for 600hundred nair!!! Dos dreamy gowns u see in mags n all, u can get them at cheaper price n same quality (if u r d patient type)

The list is endless. And sumtimes wen we knw where we r going isn't important, we sud jst sit our a.s.s @home cos transportation is anoda pocket drainer!! N phone calls as well. Like me I can't say wen I recharged last, once my bb is up all I do is leave mails fr friends cos evryone is connected nw.

Honestly u don't need millions to b comfortable. We can adjust.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by ndiyeauwa: 7:55am On Sep 18, 2013
Chillisauce:

I don't like wigs o, when you want to get down with Oga, naso the wig go comot you now look like a lipsrsealed

The wig falls off and leaves the "sexy wifey" looking like a DAMN WITCH!!!
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 18, 2013
tellwisdom: Only poor people complain of scarcity sad # I'm outangry
@tellwisdom......u dont even have wisdom...idiot..even americans...dey have economist....fg self de reduce budget in 9ja...na con u??go sleep jor...wen u've grown...com back to make a post....i pray u dont learn in a hard way....dem dey talk reality here u de show ur naughty character....agbakaaaa

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 8:05am On Sep 18, 2013
crackhaus: When there are kids involved, it's wise to be very careful and not let them know how financially difficult the situation is. 'Responsible' adults can easily adjust their needs when working on a tight budget, but for kids(aged 5-15) who are already accustomed to the good life, it can be quite a challenge.
These are some few tricks that might help;

1. You can never go wrong with Bread & Tea for breakfast. Stick with it, and it's cheap.

2. Noodles! Yes noodles. It's a cheap source of nutrients, and you can mix the food time-table up to include Pastas. This can make a nice dinner.

3. Look for someone who deals on fairly-worn imported clothes. Children's clothes are plenty in this business, so u can still change their wardrobes..cheaply!

4. Buy fruits a lot. Oranges, Pineapples, Pawpaw, Avocados. These are cheap, and u still get your nutrients.

5. When your kids ask for favours, it's better to tell them to give you some time. Never complain about financial problems openly, leave those for the bedroom at 10pm when everyone is asleep and do it quietly.

6. Toileteries needed for running the house always come in expensive and cheap, large and small, luxurious and normal...and better still, there's not much difference between them so this shouldn't even be a problem.

Like I said before, this is when kids are involved. I got no advice for adults, y'all should be matured and sensible enough to handle your shhii!t.
u talk sense bfor@d bigini...but later u con de talk trash....d activities...no b still adult go carry dem out for dier kids??u con de abuse adult at d end....u b shiiiit ooo.lols
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by pappilo(m): 8:37am On Sep 18, 2013
Credit card mate! Best invention ever. O man bo asiri (it hides your secrets)
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Lilimax(f): 8:37am On Sep 18, 2013
Okija_juju: How Okija Manages in Time of Scarcity

1. Change from food to Indomie..

2. Gas to firewood

3. Drycleaner to Hand washing

4. Sack all domestic helps including Drivers|house keepers|security|& other support staff.

5. No more clubs.

6. Substitute DSTV for STV|NTA2 Channel 5|AIT|e.t.c..

7. Send my wife and kids to the village to stay with her parents.

8. Use my car for Kabu Kabu

9. No more credit in phones.. Starts writting & Sending Letters via NIPOST.

10. Trade in my Gucci|Calvin's Klein|Dolce & Gabanna|Armanis|Prada|Hugo Boss|DKNY|Tom Ford|Louis Vuitton|Lacoste|Ralph Lauren|etc for Akwa Oche|Ariaria-Wassup|Bend Down Select|Tailor Lo-run|Okrika-Wakeup|e.t.c..

11. Return to my Shrine and do some Ogwu Ego.. grin

OWU NA BASTARD
Quite hilarious grin
That no.7 is not acceptable undecided
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by eyoniggar(m): 8:40am On Sep 18, 2013
w
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 9:07am On Sep 18, 2013
arcbabe: i fix my nails myself but find it difficult to fix weavon on my hair

If you can weave hair, try weaving yours, it must not be perfect...use some attachment/thread or nothing to weave depending on the texture of your hair. Your mirror can help you here.

Proceed to stitch the weave on your ready made hair using your needle and thread. Use the back needle to avoid piercing your hair. Also, some salons still use front needle, make sure you give them the instruction of using the back needle. It doesn't matter if the needle is yours, the needle might pric k their fingers in the course of fixing..so be careful here.

Aft stitching, the last weave, use a bond gel and hair lock to hold it in place
I also make sure I keep some hair out to cover after stitching the weave, flat iron it and cover all weave. There you go, perfect hair without spending a dime. Attempt this when you have nothing to do tongue

Comes handy also when you are in a zone where African salons are scarce.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 18, 2013
vivichocs: I wouldnt advise 101, instead she shld reduce d quality of the food and cut down unimportant and avoidable expenses..
I beg to differ on this. Nutrition is far more important than filling up the belly with junks, instead, prepare the food with high quality [/b]but [b]reduced quantity to save cost. Take nutrition a priority at home especially for the children because they are still growing.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by tucee31: 10:01am On Sep 18, 2013
Resist the urge of "buy now pay later" no matter how tempted u are.

Try to start washing ur clothes urself and if u can't iron them, then u cld give a dry cleaner to do d ironing. @ least u wld ve saved the cost of washing.

Buy a wig ( to save u d cost of going to d salon everytime to fix or braid).

Make a list b4 going to d market and stick to it! This will help u buy wat u want and stop u from deviating.

Make food just enof for eating @ dat time, so u don't end up wasting.

Pray to God for wisdom.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can It Work? 37 Years Old Guy Set To Marry A 20 Year Old? / All The Married/single Ladies,I Hope You Commit lookery After Looking At This / What Will You Do When Your Daughter Starts To Date?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.