Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,483 members, 7,830,429 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:01 PM

How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? (10972 Views)

My 14-Year-Old Sister Made Shocking Revelations, How Can I Manage The Situation? / A Lesser Evil: A Wife Who Can't Cook Or A Wife Who Can't Manage The Home / Why Do Most Women Enjoy Humiliating Other Women (both In Public Or In The Home)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by victorv12(m): 10:12am On Sep 18, 2013
That person must totally minimize his/her cost by spending and consuming less. There is no time for partying or checking on friends around. He must stay focus and concentrate on his business pending the time things change.

My advice, a man must have something to sell at any point, especially, when he's running a family. A man must never be broke completely to a degree he won't be able to cater for his family. Even, if he doesn't have raw cash in his account, he must "always" have something to sell. I can't imagine myself not having something to sell when I'm broke!

The moment there is no cash in the account, there are over five things for me to trade that will boost my morale into hustling back, not to talk about running a family. I'll have over 50 by then.

My advice, there is nothing like having an indigenous business or having a landed property somewhere to sell. Can someone imagine having an indigenous business somewhere, and the business is bringing in as low as 5 grand per day. That person's life will be different from someone that's waiting toward the end of the month to collect his/her pay if the money is properly managed. There is nothing like having a small scale business. Having an indigenous business to manage a family is not a bad idea at all! Selling basic goods at retail or wholesale price to consumers. There will always be money for the family to spend...it even going to help the kids to stay smart and sharp, that nothing worthwhile ever comes easy!
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by divaT: 12:29pm On Sep 18, 2013
crackhaus: When there are kids involved, it's wise to be very careful and not let them know how financially difficult the situation is. 'Responsible' adults can easily adjust their needs when working on a tight budget, but for kids(aged 5-15) who are already accustomed to the good life, it can be quite a challenge.
These are some few tricks that might help;

1. You can never go wrong with Bread & Tea for breakfast. Stick with it, and it's cheap.

2. Noodles! Yes noodles. It's a cheap source of nutrients, and you can mix the food time-table up to include Pastas. This can make a nice dinner.

3. Look for someone who deals on fairly-worn imported clothes. Children's clothes are plenty in this business, so u can still change their wardrobes..cheaply!

4. Buy fruits a lot. Oranges, Pineapples, Pawpaw, Avocados. These are cheap, and u still get your nutrients.

5. When your kids ask for favours, it's better to tell them to give you some time. Never complain about financial problems openly, leave those for the bedroom at 10pm when everyone is asleep and do it quietly.

6. Toileteries needed for running the house always come in expensive and cheap, large and small, luxurious and normal...and better still, there's not much difference between them so this shouldn't even be a problem.

Like I said before, this is when kids are involved. I got no advice for adults, y'all should be matured and sensible enough to handle your shhii!t.
guy ur too much...so on point,I hardly comment on nairaland but I was realy moved..**hugs**
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Maranzano(m): 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2013
One's ability to manage scarcity at home depends on his/her ability to adapt to the situation.These tips were useful during our rainy days:
1 Distinguish your needs from your wants so that you can maximize the available resources.
2 Resist impulse buying no matter how cheap they seem.
3 Withdraw form any group of friends that are always making financial demands from you.
4 Swallow your pride for a moment and go for things that you think are below your "class"
5 Do not borrow to maintain your supposed status because that will extend the days of scarcity.
6 Buy in bulk whenever there is money.That also helps when the cash is not flowing.
7 Do not make big pledges to save your face in gatherings.Let your generosity be felt even in scarcity but don't sink into debts to "maintain your status
8 Set your priorities right and ALWAYS find out the status of the food store or Kitchen from your wife. Don't assume that she should know because she is also human and can forget that some food items have finished.
9. The innovative ability of every family is revealed during moments of scarcity.It can also become the Achilles heel of many who do not know or believe that scarcity is part of human existence
10 Finally and most importantly, LOOK UP TO THE GREAT PROVIDER who is capable of turning every situation around for better.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Aigbekaenjossy: 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2013
This is a very serious issue.if u cut down the size of food or better still 101 and u av ur inlaws staying with u.won't they think u ar doing all those because of them?I av cracked my brain it has even cause an issue in the house pls advice.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by younggirl: 3:28pm On Sep 18, 2013
@Aigbekaen,very true,I also noticed that in time of scarcity,it is easier and cheaper to contAin when its just family,but as soon as a visitor or visitor come,especially those who will be spending some few days,it is always difficult to explain things to them,some might even feel you're being unnecessarily stingy!
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 18, 2013
Aigbekaen jossy: This is a very serious issue.if u cut down the size of food or better still 101 and u av ur inlaws staying with u.won't they think u ar doing all those because of them?I av cracked my brain it has even cause an issue in the house pls advice.

I can relate to what you are saying.
My advice is that you should not do more than your power! Because they won't be there to help you pay other bills.
The in-laws can eat 1-1-1- but on very simple meals. Don't go overboard to please them! Give them the same thing you eat!
Tell wifey to be preparing simple meals and use ice- fish a lot than meat or chicken.
I found out that okro, ewedu, vegetable and egusi soups are cheaper to prepare and nutritious. The soups should not be thick!
She can mix tin-tomatoes with fresh tomatoes and dried pepper to prepare stew with ice-fish!.
All portions should be rationed to reach everybody, no matter how small! Whether they bellyful or not, except your little children, satisfy them. They need food more than adults.

For instance;
Breakfast: Tea, bread and butter. [make it compulsory every-morning!]
Lunch: Garri and beans/moi-moi/ yam pottage/rice concoction with panla dried fish.[
Dinner: Eba with okro soup.[make eba compulsory everynight with different soups]

Most importantly mind how you spend money in the house because they are watching. If this cause any quarrel again, tell the in-law you cannot steal to satisfy them! If they cannot cope with you, they should leave! Please save your money, because they would be the ones to still laugh you behind your back!

An in-law was served with jollof-rice one day with a tiny fried fish, i could see the mockery on his face and that of his mother. I ignored them, today, they cannot eat if they don't receive their monthly stipend! And i can eat as much as i like if i want to!
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by promire2004(f): 6:19pm On Sep 18, 2013
Beautiful topic. Eye-opening comments. Well, life isn't all rosy. Unforseen circumstances could put a person in a disadvantaged situation. Here are some useful and vital tips on this issue:
1. Seek the face of God, pour out your heart to Him. Tell Him to direct ur path. Let Him understand your plight. Tell him you can't run the race alone. ( This could last for a couple of hours).
2. Take out time to plan your budget wisely and prudently. Differentiating your needs from your wants and setting your priorities right.
3. Buy more of vegetables, crayfish and less of meat and fish. This way, u'll still look fresh and healthy regardless of the reduced quantity of meat and fish in your meals.
4. Troubles don't last forever. Behind every dark cloud, there is a silver lining. When there is need for clothes, our Okirikas and bend-down select clothes come handy. What you should be concerned about is how well-nourished you are, not necessarily how expensive your ward-robe is. A cheap Okirika cloth would look good on someone with the right skin, charisma and attitude. A mal-nourished person would still look impoverished no matter how expensive his/her outfits are. Please, don't get this twisted, high quality clothings are good, but your body well-being is what matters most.
5. As for making your hair, ( for the ladies), re-touching your hair would keep it in good shape for a couple of weeks. Here, weaves come handy. Especially when you want to go out for an event, and you don't want the world to know you are going through some financial issues.
6. Conclusively, don't transfer aggression on your kids whenever you are tensed or agitated. Reassure them as much as you can. This way, their self-esteem is sustained. Discuss whatever issues that is bothering you with your spouse, when the kids have gone to bed. Some kids eavesdrop though. Lol.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 18, 2013
I found out that food causes a lot of trouble in homes, though some would wave it aside and ask ;WHAT IS IN FOOD?' Well, the person bringing the money from the pocket knows what it means to feed a home. If care is not taken, 80% of the salary would go into feeding. And no savings to fall back on. There is a saying that you don't use your 10 fingers to eat.

The home that there is plenty of food attracts many relations and visitors.

Most times these simple meals quickly prepared have more nutritional value than the 'rich' meals cooked.
Noodles are good for lunch for children, or bead/butter/ even garri with sugar and milk with groundnut.
Once in a while, you can give the family a treat, by taking them to an eatery/restaurant.

Moderation is the key word.
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Xqwizit: 7:28pm On Sep 18, 2013
duffie: I'm like the mother of my father's hhouse....

1. I Reduce the size of the servings of food (meat also)

2. Wash all the clothes ata stretch to make full and efffective use off the soap..

3. Prepare cheaper meals

4. Pray to God
that is it gal guess i hv sumone similar to me
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by Kanwulia: 6:32am On Sep 19, 2013
Tight budgets!!! I PAWNED A LOT OF JEWELRY to survive. I recovered them all. cool

Thankfully, I have ONLY FAINT recollections of scarcity. Only as a student some 20 years ago. cool

Life don better tey-tey! I have learned to save 1 year of income for such times.

Now working to save up to 3 years of income to last 3 years of unemployment!!! cool

I LEARNED FROM WHITE PEOPLE!!!! kiss

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by goldenboyofpsy(m): 9:28am On Sep 19, 2013
God bless u all for this topic and responses... I grew up with my father and we are both known as father christmas... Am still single but finding it difficult to adjust... Thou praying that God gives me a wife who his a good and better manager but not stingy.... But wat do u do wen you see wifes complaining bitterly in d presence of d children due to scarcity
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by younggirl: 9:57am On Sep 19, 2013
@Golden boy,I quite agree with you! There are some wives who will become monsters overnight in time of scarcity,calling the husband all sorts of names and some will even push their husbands to do shady deals just to please them. Some women refuse to adjust because they want to keep up with the trend!
But d truth is,a woman who cannot stand by her husband and help him manage is a BAD WIFE,worse still,the one that will say negative things about her husband to the kids is a TERRIBLE WIFE.

One thing I know for sure is that scarcity does not last,it has an expiry date,so for such wives,endurance is the word!
Re: How Do You Manage The Home In Time Of Scarcity? by younggirl: 7:10am On Sep 23, 2013
Thanks all for your contributions! I've really learnt a lot! God bless y'all

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Between An Immature Young Guy And An Older Man / Should Homosexuals Be Allowed to Raise Children? / All The Married/single Ladies,I Hope You Commit lookery After Looking At This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.