Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,669 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

Short Story Competition - Literature (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Short Story Competition (41648 Views)

Short Story Competition - <<Nuges11 wins!!!!>> / Commonwealth Short Story Competition / 2008-9 Commonwealth Short Story Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 9:11pm On Sep 26, 2013
Damex333:
My views- My opinion- Speaking for my self
on d 10,000 words ish, is it 4 this maiden edition or subsequent edition, cos if it for this one, there will be a slight prob, the first range of words that was given was 1,500 words b4 it was upped to 2,500 so writers would have built their storyline and characters on that, so how do we fit in seven thousands five hundred without doing d unimportant! ?
make ur characters talk and talk and talk till they can talk no more grin
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 9:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
Damex333: My views- My opinion- Speaking for my self
on d 10,000 words ish, is it 4 this maiden edition or subsequent edition, cos if it for this one, there will be a slight prob, the first range of words that was given was 1,500 words b4 it was upped to 2,500 so writers would have built their storyline and characters on that, so how do we fit in seven thousands five hundred without doing d unimportant! ?
Its still 2500 words.. I dont think it has changed or has it?
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 9:47pm On Sep 26, 2013
Damex333: My views- My opinion- Speaking for my self

We're still working with the original arrangement of 2,500 words. The rules might change for subsequent editions.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 9:50pm On Sep 26, 2013
Mazi,when is the deadline for submission?
I am of the opinion that all stories should be posted the same day/time..
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by AbuMikey(m): 10:27pm On Sep 26, 2013
Anytime I wan juss start to dey Pen down my Tori,I go juss dey see sometin wen be like Aunty Ishilove dey laff me embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 10:36pm On Sep 26, 2013
Abu Mikey: Anytime I wan juss start to dey Pen down my Tori,I go juss dey see sometin wen be like Aunty Ishilove dey laff me embarassed

Now this is hilarious gringrincheesygrin
Re: Short Story Competition by Ishilove: 10:39pm On Sep 26, 2013
Abu Mikey: Anytime I wan juss start to dey Pen down my Tori,I go juss dey see sometin wen be like Aunty Ishilove dey laff me embarassed

embarassed
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: hi, here is one of Efe's something, something, hope it helps sha.

https://www.nairaland.com/1189817/nairaland-writers-collaboration

Enjoy.

Thanks, HBG. I do appreciate.smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 10:51pm On Sep 26, 2013
Kslib:
Exactly!! Just finish what you started cos trust me,immediately submission ends,that feeling of guilt will start eating you up on why you didnt go ahead with your work..
Me sef,i wan go check her work make i see..

I never start my own oo.. Na the idea i still dey figure out and the symmetry wey e go follow.. Hopefully,by evening or tomorrow,i go start and finish...
All izz well!

Lol @ highlighted. You no understand. Read that post again.

Seen her work?

Figured it out yet? smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 10:59pm On Sep 26, 2013
Abu Mikey:
Anytime I wan juss start to dey Pen down my Tori,I go juss dey see sometin wen be like Aunty Ishilove dey laff me embarassed

na one chance be that na grin
Re: Short Story Competition by Neduzze5(m): 11:02pm On Sep 26, 2013

Lolz... I don laff tire for here oh! grin
Re: Short Story Competition by chistar01(m): 11:09pm On Sep 26, 2013
Hmmm.. 10, 000 words 4 a short story? Like seriously? That's more like a short novel oh.

10k for just writing a story? OMG! That's really cool, if only it would work out properly and expected (am a pessimist, so don't blame me) sad.

@writers, am kinda wondering why no story has been posted on the submission thread o, is this a case of who would bell the cat? You guys shouldn't mind Efe, Repo, Ishi, Princesa and other listed judges, they are just being typical judges. My advice to you guys is be original and creative, make your story fun to read and as usual make sure your spacing and puntuations are rightly place.

*whispering in Ruby Spice ears* I've gat ya back dearie.
Re: Short Story Competition by Kslib(m): 11:11pm On Sep 26, 2013
Jekyll & Hyde:

Lol @ highlighted. You no understand. Read that post again.

Seen her work?

Figured it out yet? smiley
Ok,kinda have an idea now sha..
All izz well!
Re: Short Story Competition by princesa(f): 11:12pm On Sep 26, 2013
Ishilove:
embarassed
Madam High priestess of souls, just a thought of you, person dey shiver... grin

I wonder what happens when he thinks about Efe grin

#una no go kill person! grin
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:22pm On Sep 26, 2013

as kslib said, all is well.

By the way if anyone has been through the collaboration thread, ya'll should have known how tough this would be.

M the friendly one, lol....anybody seen Omolola1
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 11:23pm On Sep 26, 2013
Jekyll & Hyde:

Thanks, HBG. I do appreciate.smiley
my pleasure wink
Re: Short Story Competition by An0nimus: 11:25pm On Sep 26, 2013

e no go easy for Ezekiel gringringrin
Re: Short Story Competition by naptu2: 11:26pm On Sep 26, 2013

Hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 11:48pm On Sep 26, 2013
Kslib:
Ok,kinda have an idea now sha..
All izz well!

Alright then. smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by Nobody: 11:48pm On Sep 26, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: my pleasure wink

smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 1:41am On Sep 27, 2013
For me a think the 10000 words idea would b great....for subsequent editions anyway. The plot would be better developed. for me personally, it would be easier to write a 10000 word story to a 2500 word story cos there'll be more depth. 2500 words is more of an essay and quite short.
Anyway, good luck, maybe there should be a prize for who submits first to ginger some people. I'm on standby o, waiting to read.
Re: Short Story Competition by EfemenaXY: 2:15am On Sep 27, 2013
For those interested in seeing samples of my earlier works / contributions to stories in this section, you might want to have a look at this thread (preferably from the beginning) to see how I too, as a budding writer, evolved my writing skills with time and practice: https://www.nairaland.com/835469/continue-lola-story/8

One more thing: I know Mazi's already touched on the issue of plagiarism, but this really cannot be over-emphasized. Yes, sometimes, in the process of undertaking research, we might pick up excerpts from already published works. However, the onus is on us writers to make sure our works are absolutely ours and if not, to quote the original author and source. Based on this, before reading any submitted stories, I'll be using my online plagiarism checker tool to check the authenticity of, and ensure that works submitted are original. I'll encourage you as writers to do the same too. A free online copy can be obtained from here: http://www.dustball.com/cs/plagiarism.checker/

Best of luck and I look forward to reading your stories here smiley
Re: Short Story Competition by Oahray: 2:26am On Sep 27, 2013
Ghen ghen! *quaking in Mikey's boots*
Re: Short Story Competition by sambroose(m): 6:07am On Sep 27, 2013
repogirl: For me a think the 10000 words idea would b great....for subsequent editions anyway. The plot would be better developed. for me personally, it would be easier to write a 10000 word story to a 2500 word story cos there'll be more depth. 2500 words is more of an essay and quite short.
Anyway, good luck, maybe there should be a prize for who submits first to ginger some people. I'm on standby o, waiting to read.
What shall it profit a man to submit first and still loses out on the $100......yes I said it $100 dats ma main motivator
Re: Short Story Competition by Switup: 6:13am On Sep 27, 2013
(walks into thread..., sees how far the writing competion has gone... Sobs in agony) i've missed again...! An opportunity to show what i've got in stock(sobs).....

Wish i could turn back the hands of time so i'll be among the interested nominees......(sobs) (sobs) and (sobs some more).....
Re: Short Story Competition by MaziOmenuko: 7:54am On Sep 27, 2013
Just to remind you guys that we are still working with the 2,500 words limit and an incentive of recharge cards.
We got an offer for sponsorship but the offer will be fully harnessed in the next edition with more stringent criteria.

Thanks.
Re: Short Story Competition by MissFibre(f): 8:12am On Sep 27, 2013
There is no harm in going first. My submission has been made. Oya, all my soldiers follow me. grin

**Goes into praying and fasting mode**
Re: Short Story Competition by Diamondwriter(m): 8:39am On Sep 27, 2013
Miss_Fibre: There is no harm in going first. My submission has been made. Oya, all my soldiers follow me. grin

brave lady
Re: Short Story Competition by FoxyFlow(m): 8:52am On Sep 27, 2013
Miss_Fibre: There is no harm in going first. My submission has been made. Oya, all my soldiers follow me. grin

Lol... Stop fearing, your entry is nice. Na the judges go decide sha
Re: Short Story Competition by dazz661(f): 9:14am On Sep 27, 2013

Woah ! I enjoyed your story, it's different and I like different. grin cheesy
Re: Short Story Competition by repogirl(f): 9:22am On Sep 27, 2013

owkay, I've gone through. Fantasy, Good job, i like your imagination, nice word play too, poetic kinda, vivid descriptions, good use of English. You get some points for opening the competition. Its still early, lets see what others have got for us.

writers, Una never chop liver finish? I'm hungry o.

p.s. @ mazi, am I free to write my shortcomings about the stories, or do I just keep it to myself.
Re: Short Story Competition by HumbledbYGrace(f): 10:08am On Sep 27, 2013
Efemena_xy: For those interested in seeing samples of my earlier works / contributions to stories in this section, you might want to have a look at this thread (preferably from the beginning) to see how I too, as a budding writer, evolved my writing skills with time and practice: https://www.nairaland.com/835469/continue-lola-story/8

One more thing: I know Mazi's already touched on the issue of plagiarism, but this really cannot be over-emphasized. Yes, sometimes, in the process of undertaking research, we might pick up excerpts from already published works. However, the onus is on us writers to make sure our works are absolutely ours and if not, to quote the original author and source. Based on this, before reading any submitted stories, I'll be using my online plagiarism checker tool to check the authenticity of, and ensure that works submitted are original. I'll encourage you as writers to do the same too. A free online copy can be obtained from here: http://www.dustball.com/cs/plagiarism.checker/

Best of luck and I look forward to reading your stories here smiley
Ma'am you have put professionalism into this whole thing, glad to have you here. cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (41) (Reply)

The Madam At The Top / The Preacher's Son III: Diary Of A Player / Sophia Amaka's Story: Accidental Baby Mama(a Fan Fiction)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.