Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,766 members, 7,851,617 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:59 AM

FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles (22534 Views)

FG Plans N8tn Budget For 2016 / I’ll Ban Importation Of Rice, Tomato If Elected –Buhari / FG May Ban Importation Of Generators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by solomon111(m): 11:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
Dee60: Strange idea. Aso Rock and national Assembly should start first riding on Ogbomosho made cars.

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by solomon111(m): 11:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
Dee60: Strange idea. Aso Rock and national Assembly should start first riding on Ogbomosho made cars.

posts like this make me angry.
You're waiting for jonathan before you start patronizing locally made vehicles?
Smh.
Is it jonathan that will benefit from the increased jobs or advancement in Nigeria's industrial base?
NO!
It's the masses that will benefit.
Like it or not,jonathan is already made for life.
Patronizing local made vehicles will benefit you the masses in the long-run,and not jonathan.

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by oparahchi(m): 11:03pm On Sep 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^And if timed right, what's wrong with a total ban on importation of vehicles?; it's not as if they're about to ban something we can't do without....like oxygen or water for instance!

This will give serious minded automobile manufacturing coys the 'reason' to set up factories in Nigeria to meet demand. More so if constant power supply is guaranteed!
there are other pressing economic matters and not the ban on importation of vehicles. Even first world nations still get vehicles imported into their system. I think its a silly move. Plus u don't place a ban when your indigeous company hasn't identified if it has the capacity to embark on such mass production. Another question I may ask is does Nigeria have the available resource/resources to facilitate production. We have an epileptic power supply in this country, so what would be the impact on cost of production? And the long run effect of cost of goods available for sale?
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by manny4life(m): 11:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
iterator25: I guess that means you know everything that goes down in the manufacturing sector here undecided ..your ignorance is profound.. if I had a 2by2 stick I'd plank you sad

Abeg no do am o, na for jail be that cheesy grin
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by t2luv: 11:04pm On Sep 17, 2013
Rossikk:

You work at GM yet you don't know a car manufacturing plant is a car assembly plant?

Let me educate you on your own plant in Michigan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit/Hamtramck_Assembly

Hamtramck is an Assembly plant. That's all it is. Parts are manufactured at other plants, and then brought to Hamtramck for final assemble to make a car.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by manny4life(m): 11:06pm On Sep 17, 2013
t2luv:

Hamtramck is an Assembly plant. That's all it is. Parts are manufactured at other plants, and then brought to Hamtramck for final assembly make a car.

Plants owned by GM or other companies?

If Hamtramck is just an assembly point just like Innoson, what stops other local industries in Nigeria to supply parts to Innoson?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by iterator25: 11:08pm On Sep 17, 2013
manny4life:

Abeg no do am o, na for jail be that cheesy grin

if the web were some sort of physical realm, I'd I've killed over 100 nairalanders
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by t2luv: 11:10pm On Sep 17, 2013
manny4life:

Plants owned by GM or other companies?

If Hamtramck is just an assembly point just like Innoson, what stops other local industries in Nigeria to supply parts to Innoson?

Most of the parts that goes into our cars are made at our plants. Some of the exceptions are Headlight, Taillight(Back Light) those are made by Ford plants (Visteron). The Windsheild are from Toyota plant in California.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 11:14pm On Sep 17, 2013
typical idiocy of the FG

at present there is only one car manufacturing plant - Innoson - which most of us find suspect

if the FG is actually serious, they should sort out power and rail then throw in some tax concessions, and Toyota ,Nissan and Honda will set up shop. it will be far more convenent to buy locally.

in the end, this is just another mindless soundbite

nothing will happen - certainly not from our FG where the senate , minister etal are obsessive users of foreign imports

2 Likes

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by bobolic: 11:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
IMPOSSIBLE. WITHOUT PLANNING, LIKE IS WITH HIM ALL THE TIME HE SAYS THINGS HE CANNOT DO.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by manny4life(m): 11:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
t2luv:

Most of the parts that goes into our cars are made at our plants. Some of the exceptions are Headlight, Taillight(Back Light) those are made by Ford plants (Visteron). The Windsheild are from Toyota plant in California.

You keep saying "OUR", I asked you, is it plants owned by GM? Besides, how do you define "most part"? Most parts include the car skeleton, the windshield, the transmission and engines, the seats, and dashboard. If you have all these, 85% of car is done with. So again, what parts does GM produce? The mold of the car, yes, but does GM produce their own engines or transmission? Does GM produce their own wiring/wires abi is it the seats? Like other than the mold, WHAT DOES GM PRODUCE?

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by t2luv: 11:25pm On Sep 17, 2013
manny4life:

You keep saying "OUR", I asked you, is it plants owned by GM? Besides, how do you define "most part"? Most parts include the car skeleton, the windshield, the transmission and engines, the seats, and dashboard. If you have all these, 85% of car is done with. So again, what parts does GM produce? The mold of the car, yes, but does GM produce their own engines or transmission? Does GM produce their own wiring/wires abi is it the seats? Like other than the mold, WHAT DOES GM PRODUCE?

The plants are own by GM. The workers in those plants work for GM. GM plants that makes parts are under ACDelco. ACDelco is a GM wholly owned subsidary. There is an ACDelco plant in California that makes the engine for both Toyota Corrolla and Chevy Spectrum. In fact do you know that Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are the same car. Only thing different are the emblem on the cars
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by manny4life(m): 11:30pm On Sep 17, 2013
t2luv:

The plants are own by GM. The workers in those plants work for GM. GM plants that makes parts are under ACDelco. ACDelco is a GM wholly owned subsidary. There is an ACDelco plant in California that makes the engine for both Toyota Corrolla and Chevy Spectrum. In fact do you know that Toyota Matrix and Pontiac Vibe are the same car. Only thing different are the emblem on the cars

Well I'm leaving the office now, when I get in, I will research your fact. However, it doesn't erase what I said - NIGERIA has the raw materials to build a car. You're yet to tell me a major component of a car that can't be produced in Nigeria... Till then.

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Bunchersstab(m): 11:57pm On Sep 17, 2013
1st i need 2 set up a committie 2 investigate dis ban. Also am thinkin abt bannin garri in Nigerga. 3rdly usin of BB will also b ban grin

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by PECO4KING(m): 12:57am On Sep 18, 2013
If u can't ban ur children studing in aboard don't ban importation of cars. My message is for the wise.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by zo3184: 1:10am On Sep 18, 2013
This is 419, you want to ban imported cars. but your only assembler is still going to import the car parts.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by lastpage: 1:20am On Sep 18, 2013
Silly President!
The only solution they have to our myriad of problems is BAN! BAN!! BAN!!!

Even America and Germany still imports cars till today!

Reminds me of when the NPN government of Shagari in those days banned the importation of foreign materials (Swiss lace, imported clothes, e.t.c) and insisted we all have to wear locally made clothes.

The clown of a President then wore this "Green-White-Green Adidas Tracksuit" to a national function and l am like WTF!
You could have worn an Ankara track suit Mr. President?

Let Jonathan himself start the "charity begins at home drive".
*All his official vehicles must be local.
*He must use local Aircraft as well.
*He otuoke shoe must be Aba-made
*Henceforth, there should be no allocation for "Generators" in state house budget
*His patience must stop going to Germany for check-up, go to LUTH or Enugu general hospital
*His children must all attend public schools

BTW: Banning the importation of "something" you dont produce already, in a standard that outstrips what you are banning, at the same or lower price, is just FOOLISHNESS because only a foolish man leaves his car at home and decides to trek from lagos to Ibadan ....all in the name of exercise! shocked shocked

Let that Otuoke clown solve just ONE PROBLEM (electricity) and leave the rest for the next President.
He would have been a great President... not a bumbling, fumbling and wombling one that he is.

Lastpage!

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Horus(m): 1:36am On Sep 18, 2013
zo3184: This is 419, you want to ban imported cars. but your only assembler is still going to import the car parts.

Japan do not have natural ressources, so where do they get the raw materials to create all the car parts?. They get it from outside of Japan. When you see a car build in Japan you are looking at African raw materials that was transformed into a car. Everything in the car before transformation came from outside of Japan.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by jmslimx(m): 5:13am On Sep 18, 2013
its not a bad idea , thats what made south korea what it is today , india with tata and suzuki , i have being in this countries when you encourage your own product , it forces this car companies to come have there production centers in your country .. like in india because of the policies to encourage local made cars like tata - honda hard no choice than to put up their production factory in that region - if they cars will be cheap its better way to move the local cars to their prime , Nigerians buy Hyundai , Kia and tata's - check the history of this companies in their various countries and you would understand why we need such policies to make things work for locally made cars.

But charity begins at home , So the government has to start using them first to show an exemplary life style then followers wont have a choice than to follow ( But a ban right now is not a way forward ) - Nigeria just needs good policies that's what can take us to join countries like UAE - before the Libya crisis - Libya got most the policies they use from UAE - from Labor to transportation sectors

God bless Nigeria

1 Like

Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by emmatok(m): 5:58am On Sep 18, 2013
Rossikk:

''In September 1985 a two-year moratorium on nearly all vehicle imports was imposed.''

Don't you know what a moratorium is?

This is from your post

In September 1985 a two-year moratorium on[b] nearly all [/b]vehicle imports was imposed

China didn't ban all vehicle imports even with the moratorium.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Tomison2000: 6:12am On Sep 18, 2013
Even oil wey we get we still dey import am and the one wey we no fit make them wan ban am. Nigeria i dey laugh o
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by unmask: 6:27am On Sep 18, 2013
always always putting the cart before the horse.....Im sure if it we were importing electricity too, they would stop importation before constructing a single power station.....same thing happened during the subsidy strike, when their slow thinking didn't tell them some people won't be able to travel because of the increased fares......

Let car importation suffer a natural death....when the Nigerian market is competitive enough then you can introduce measures....

Besides I don't see jonathan driving in a locally manufactured car....

If all the FG parastatals including the presidency patronised locally made cars, local manufacturers will be smiling to the bank
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 18, 2013
when there are only 600 millions cars and suv in the world and 250 millions trucks, this failure called Jonathan want to ban importation of vehicles. I am so sorry, you will never be our president again come 2015.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by UyiIredia(m): 7:34am On Sep 18, 2013
There should be a partial ban on certain types of vehicles the rich use. Budget cars and even second-hand should be allowed still. They are of better trusted foreign brands and relatively cheaper.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Abmarshalo(m): 7:38am On Sep 18, 2013
Kai and I want to import my Range Sport.

CFCfan: THE Federal Government has revealed plans to ban importation of vehicles into the country, to encourage local production, even as revival efforts for the nation's moribund assembly plants were yet to be visible.

Besides, the government has stepped up moves to reposition the nation's transportation system, in line with its transformation agenda.

Already, the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC) has concluded arrangements to kick-off passenger service on the Eastern railway route before the end of December.

President Goodluck Jonathan stated these while declaring open the 2013 yearly national management conference of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM) in Uyo, Monday.

The President did not however state the time frame for the vehicle import ban programme.

He stressed that the efforts being made, especially in local vehicle production at Nnewi, Anambra State need to be encouraged.

Recently, the government directed its various organs to purchase vehicles made at the Nnewi plant, a gesture that was lauded by the Nigerian Automotive Manufacturers Association of Nigeria.

The Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment, Olusegun Aganga had earlier hinted of government's plan to create three automobile training centres and clusters at Lagos, Nnewi and Kano.

The training centres, according to Aganga, would be established in partnership with Brazil to train Nigerians in automobile maintenance and spare parts production, while the clusters would host new vehicle assembly plants.

The President said that the reform in the rail, airport and the maritime sectors were aimed at gaining the confidence of investors and to empower Nigerians.

The government's policy of economic inclusion, according to him, was designed to empower the less privileged and the unemployed through opportunities in agriculture and skills acquisitions.

"We can emphatically say that as a result of our economic policy, there have been significant improvement in our economic transformation drive," Jonathan said.
http://odili.net/news/source/2013/sep/17/13.html
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by onyxo76(m): 7:53am On Sep 18, 2013
This govt sha. So what happens to car dealers like inspired , femmy , calculuxs etc. This will just encourage more smugling and corruption as most people will just go to cotonuo and 'fly' in their cars using custom boys. Let's see the assembly plants working first before banning importation. All locally produced cars shouldn't cost more than 500k to encourage people to buy.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 18, 2013
This takes my Joke of the year awardundecided
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by UyiIredia(m): 8:02am On Sep 18, 2013
^^^True talk. Tata on my kind.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by UyiIredia(m): 8:02am On Sep 18, 2013
@ onyx: True talk. Tata on my kind.
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by fortunejum: 8:30am On Sep 18, 2013
SSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by afortress(m): 8:45am On Sep 18, 2013
abeg, make una tell them... Peugeot nigeria no be fool... Anybody way wan sell moto for we tanda country... Make e come put factory for here... If not we no go buy... Great efforts... I commend my oga at the top... Ride on...
Re: FG Plans To Ban Importation Of Vehicles by ddeola: 8:49am On Sep 18, 2013
They can't give a reliable alternative yet they want to terminate the major source. This is irrational !

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Osinbajo Testifies In Church For God's Protection And Victory At The Polls / Northern Coalition Wants Afenifere Proscribed As Terrorists / JTF Destroys 3 Illegal Refineries In Niger Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.