Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,267 members, 7,829,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? (27828 Views)

University Of Ibadan Ranked Among World’s Top 800 Universities / Oyedepo - Covenant University Will Be Among World’s Top 10 By 2022 / Top 100 Universities And Polytechnics In Nigeria- August, 2013 Ranking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by abacusCm(m): 8:11am On Sep 19, 2013
All universities in Nigeria deserved to be among top 100 in the world afterall we are giant of Africa.yeh I don late for work o Okada!okada!!
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Gabrielsylar(m): 8:13am On Sep 19, 2013
University of suya
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by bharyur2103(m): 8:15am On Sep 19, 2013
Truth be told,no nigerian university currently deserves a spot on the list.Most nigerian universities are below par in terms of the criterias used to choose these universities.All the same,I rep OAU and there is no public institution I would rather attend in the country.The environment is probably the safest to learn,the infrastructures are to say the least better than those of most public institutions in the country and the level of intellectual hardwork required to succeed is arguably the highest you will see on any campus in the country.Housing facilities of UI are better and UNILORIN's academic calendar is faster but mind u,UI and OAU,I think,have the same no of hostels yet OAU admits twice as much no of undergraduates every session.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by philusaau(f): 8:15am On Sep 19, 2013
AAU EKPOMA
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nwabinwechi(f): 8:16am On Sep 19, 2013
UNIZIK
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Littlehooper: 8:17am On Sep 19, 2013
OAU SHOULD BE AMONG... GREAT IFE...
OBA AWON UNIVERSITY.....
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Chrichigo(m): 8:17am On Sep 19, 2013
Let's start from these Questions.
(1) Do you really believe in the results produced by the NUC, in the ranking of the Nigeria Universities?
(2) Why would it be based only on equipment possessed by the school?
(3) Why are these facts below left out in their judgement,
(ᴬ ) Educational achievements.
(ß) ways of studies/how lectures are being taken.
(€) how Examinations are being conducted.
I will elaborate on these facts one after the other.
(ᴬ ) Educational achievement. How many times has it been recorded of the achievements by all these universities that top the (NUC) table. Take for instance, Anambra State University represented the country at the 2012 annual event that took place in silver stone circuit, Northampton, UK. The competition drew contestants from 222 universities around the globe but on merit d winner went in favour to the university in Nigeria. Anambra state University was the school, represented by five students from the field of Mechanical engineering, Architecture, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Civil Engineering and Chemical Engineering. http://www.dailytimes.com.ng/article/nigerian-engineering-undergraduates-win-global-race-car-design-competition What can we say of this?

(ß) Ways of studies/ how lectures are being taken. Blames are always reckoned at students on their unwillingly ness to learn but on the otherside of it, the universities should be blame on their lack of effort in providing adequate capacity of classrooms that will contain the students during lecture. Imagine in Unizik whereby they have about seven department in the faculty of nursing science and ᴬ course like Math 101 is being taken together ar the same time. And each department contain about hundred students. How would you ensure ᴬ proper learning, yet they are being graded at the top of best universities and that brings us to the number '€'.

During Examination, you can imagine their seating position on ᴬ normal bench for lecture, seven students would be arranged to seat on that bench to take examination not Quiz or test as the case may be. You can never find these in most of this schools that are graded at the rear of the Ranking by the NUC. Like in Ansu, you can never "I mean never" see such. The highest you can see occupying that bench is three but most times is two. In Electrical Electronics Engineering Department, that bench is only meant for One person in ᴬ zig-zag formation. Now tell me, why wunt there be sanity and purity in the examination hail. This proverbial saying that "examination is not the best test of knowledge" but it still determine how far you have learnt ᴬ particular course of subject and that really count. Now tell me why wouldn't these Universities produce best students in the world? ( Qus. No. 2)

Is high time we recorgnised the truth that this NUC are most time becoming sentimental on their judgement because most of the Ogas' at the top are lecturers from those top universities (claimed).

I wouldn't know your opinion, what do you think? ( I rest my case).
Nigerian engineering undergraduates win global race car design competition
dailytimes.com.ng

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Donmichaelz(m): 8:19am On Sep 19, 2013
LAUTECH is d best others follow

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by firstjoe(m): 8:23am On Sep 19, 2013
BABCOCK UNI
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by amosadamu: 8:24am On Sep 19, 2013
Nigerian universities can not meet any good ranking either in the world or Africa, how often do they change the curriculum, I'm sure if you graduated 4yrs ago, its still d same notes the lecturers will have, most don't develop themselves aside from say new and young lecturers..
I'm sure most, (not all anyway) final year students copy and paste their projects, give it out or just sort their lecturers..
We all know naija does not invest in research..
Na where d ranking go come from na..
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 19, 2013
Gwizatasie: oga park well..when did u review the last webometrics ranking?oau ui unilag unn and funaab made the first 2500.
c this joseph(the dreamer) first 2500 ko.. I think u meant first 25000 cheesy
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Nobody: 8:25am On Sep 19, 2013
Certainly OAU.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by isop: 8:27am On Sep 19, 2013
University of Ibadan is d best University in d country becos they conduct research more than other universities, highest number of professors and doctors. The first university to be established in d country, the infrastructures are okay the sch is also very neat. According to Nigeria rating d sch is d best in d country and among d best in Africa
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by COvo(m): 8:29am On Sep 19, 2013
NONE! Not after a UNILAG post-graduate student made the 'greatest' scientific breakthrough of all time.lol,we should forget about a place in the top 100 for atleast another 10yrs.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by grandstar(m): 8:32am On Sep 19, 2013
UP UNIPETROL!! NO 1 IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!! *should i stop taking pakuromo?* on a serious note lagos business school was once rated amongst the top 50 business schools in the world.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Noneroone(m): 8:38am On Sep 19, 2013
Unizik all the way! She trains you not only academically but pychologically to face the rugged world.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Chrichigo(m): 8:40am On Sep 19, 2013
firstjoe: BABCOCK UNI

Oga.....Gone are the days when private
universities were embraced in this
country. When it was only the
Igbinedons, the bakocks or
covenants.......you name them... It was
the dream of most guardians to send
their wards to those schools. But the
story has changed now, when
establishing a university is like
establishing a secondary school. I
was baffled of recent, when I was in
one of such 'universities' in my state.
A memo was circulated, announcing
the new school fees structure. It
was 100 percent increase, making
Law, Medical and Engineering
students pay above a million naira. I
looked around the school, saw big
structures every where...but the
question is... Does big structure
implies good standard of Education?
Most of us are being deceived when
we see big beautiful 'photoshoped'
structures and skyscrapers of those
schools published on their websites
or newspapers. Most of the best
Universities in the world were not
ranked by big structures. Infact,
there are some with a single
building...specialized universities, yet
with academic standards. Is there
any difference between our public
universities and private ones.Not
much... Most lecturers in private
universities are part time
lecturers...hired from public
universities. So what makes the
difference....the same lectures, same
lecturers ..but you can say different
learning environment...Okay. My
younger brother who attends one of
such private universities complain
that they don't have electricity light
sometimes for a month. Same we
witness too in the public schools. But
Ekiti State University produce the
best law students in the country with
its own learning environment......So...
A friend who lecture in one of those
private universities once told me.
That during NUC accreditation, they
hire Professors and PhD holders
from public universities to boost
their accreditation status, Even if
the NUC teams are aware, but the
moment they are lodged in the best
hotels in town And their bank
accounts are heavily reimbursed..yes
the school is accredited. What a
country Nigeria... During my national
youth service, I met one private
university graduates, located in
Ibadan He said, they use to give
them exam questions before the
exams,...FACT! am not sure if that is
ever done in any public universities.
You can ask some of them. Some of
them even go as far as starting
postgraduate schools, even when
they are not academically sound to
run the undergraduate programmes.
To attend a private university in
Nigeria now, is not a guarantee for a
good job or even bad one. Ask some
Covenant University graduates....they
protested in the school to that
effect sometimes back
(unconfirmed) You can end up being a
private primary school teacher with
all the millions payed Some public
universities are far far better than
all this ill-established private
universities. Some of them cannot
even pay their staffs, which
standard do you expect from such.
The Federal Government should be a
bit reasonable before approving all
this mushroom universities. And put
up a formidable mechanism to
monitor them, most especially their
academic strength. Most of these
schools also produce very bad and
half baked graduates. But the
schools provide employment for the
unemployed populace...all ryt reserved..

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by WizPrince1(m): 8:41am On Sep 19, 2013
What of AUN?
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by kariz(m): 8:51am On Sep 19, 2013
the university of Benin...oshodin and fashola for president
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by McLuhan(m): 8:56am On Sep 19, 2013
gbengadada2004:

[b]No Nigerian University will be among the top 100 in the world for several reasons. Education is money. Countries like South Africa that have many of their Universities highly rated in Africa are really investing in education. You can imagine, the South African president saying that 50% of their budget goes to education. Ghana is allocating 30% of their budget to education. Nigeria only allocated 8% to education, yet we want to be highly rated like some of these Universities. Lecturer student ratio is another basic thing they use in rating Universities. In many of our Universities in Nigeria you will see one lecturer teaching 1,000 students in some cases. That is absurd. Many of our Universities don't subscribe to the journals in different fields that will help the students in their research work. Libraries are loaded with outdated books. Poor internet facility. How can be be highly rated? Nigerians are very intelligent, they are lecturing in many of this Universities that are highly rated. However, our government have not provided a conducive environment for them to be able to come back home. [/b]
My brother, you are absolutely right. Nigeria's major industry is corruption and the Government has no time for education. This is a country where politicians collectively spend more on their girlfriends than the Government is willing to spend on education. Heck, the PDP national headquarters in Abuja is better funded than all of Nigeria's universities combined. Even our Senate President alone can afford to pay the miserly salaries of all the lecturers in the top five universities in Nigeria, with ample funds left over. In a country with such misplaced priorities - where politicians are so rich and teachers are so impoverished - how can any of our universities be listed among the first 100? Personally, I don't even expect any of our tertiary institutions to be listed among the first 10,000!
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Littlehooper: 8:57am On Sep 19, 2013
bharyur2103: Truth be told,no nigerian university currently deserves a spot on the list.Most nigerian universities are below par in terms of the criterias used to choose these universities.All the same,I rep OAU and there is no public institution I would rather attend in the country.The environment is probably the safest to learn,the infrastructures are to say the least better than those of most public institutions in the country and the level of intellectual hardwork required to succeed is arguably the highest you will see on any campus in the country.Housing facilities of UI are better and UNILORIN's academic calendar is faster but mind u,UI and OAU,I think,have the same no of hostels yet OAU admits twice as much no of undergraduates every session.

YES OOO BROS.... I REP OAU TOO..
GREAT IFE
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by SUBMARINE: 8:59am On Sep 19, 2013
Can any Nigerian university produce/innovate submarines, armoured tanks, jet planes, ships, cell phones, and other civilian and military products. Do any make new discoveries and what can their graduates produced.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by turawafett(f): 8:59am On Sep 19, 2013
No mind them, they rate Nigeria university low, yet our 2:2 graduate and third class graduate that went to UK and US. For their masters normally graduate with first class or upper credit. If we have d type of learning environment they have and the type of modern technology of teaching they have access to all student is Nigeria university will graduate with first class.

The major yard stick I think they use to rank university is learning environment, methodology of teaching and the numbers of student in a department, they do not admit more than 25 people per course.

I represent UNILAG now and forevermore Amen.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by asamaigho(m): 9:01am On Sep 19, 2013
UNIBEN...UNIBEST no doubt best all n all.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by addictiv(m): 9:05am On Sep 19, 2013
how can nigerian universities be among top 100 when a 4 year engineering course abroad is 5yrs here and yet you cant compare an engineer who studied abroad to one who studied here despite the longer time spent in school....a masters programme of a year and six mths is btw 2 -3 years here and yet the diff is clear.......the curriculum is so messed up and backward....imagine engineering students in uniport still learning fotran when the programme is almost extinct in the industry....no computer lab even when they know fully well that the softwares and systems used in the industry are constantlychanging ,no attempt is being made to meet up with the changes, then why wont companies say our graduates re not employable, when what we are currently learning is the same thing that was being taught 10 years ago.....petroleum engineering students go through 5 years in school without seeing an oil installation not to talk of a rig....and you want us to be among top 100....if they see top 1000 they should be happy
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by thehunted(m): 9:06am On Sep 19, 2013
OAU
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by SUBMARINE: 9:08am On Sep 19, 2013
@TURAWAFETT I disagree with you because Ghana and our private Unis have better learning condition. To me the major things are 1) What new knowledge have the Unis discovered 2) What military or civilian products can they produce/innovate. 3) Others
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Littlehooper: 9:12am On Sep 19, 2013
Davo93: See my guy, nobody is argueing with you whether OAU is placed number one or not Do you even know the criteria for the ranking you are talking about? More importantly, is it what we are taught by the so called highly 'learned' lecturers that makes our output the best we have in Nigeria or the MUCH extra job we do on our own?? Let me tell you here, i know the secret of OAU high ranking but i can't be disclosing that here. Have you even asked yourself before why the like of Auchi Polytechnic is ranked ahead a nice school like FUTA? Is Auchi Poly really better than FUTA? Obviously NO! There is an untold secret behind it.

Fellow GREATEST Ife student, we don't need to start washing our dirty linen in public. All of us are in OAU and we know whats up, except we keep deceiving ourselves.

ALL RIGHT BRO.. GREAT IFE

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by habex050: 9:12am On Sep 19, 2013
Samgreguc: UI, UNIBEN, OAU,UNIIBADAN, ABU, UNIJOS, UNIPORT.

Can someone explain to this man that UI and UNIBADAN is d same.. This is among the reason why Nigerian universities can never be ranked among top 100 in d world

1 Like

Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by DIVINE78: 9:14am On Sep 19, 2013
hardeywaley2012: (O A U) OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY DESERVE TO BE AMONG WORLD'S TOP 100, EVEN 50.
If OAU dey east dem go cry to FG make them give am. State. There are more street lights in OAU than there is in Abia state.
Re: Nigerian University That Deserves To Be Among World's Top 100 Universities? by Davo93(m): 9:15am On Sep 19, 2013
turawafett: No mind them, they rate Nigeria university low, yet our 2:2 graduate and third class graduate that went to UK and US. For their masters normally graduate with first class or upper credit. If we have d type of learning environment they have and the type of modern technology of teaching they have access to all student is Nigeria university will graduate with first class.

The major yard stick I think they use to rank university is learning environment, methodology of teaching and the numbers of student in a department, they do not admit more than 25 people per course.

I represent UNILAG now and forevermore Amen.
My dear sister, your future is brighter than you think... See beyond Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Jamb Subject Combination 4 Internation Relation? / Man Gives Scholarship To Ikechukwu Samuel, A Poor Boy He Met On Abia Street / OAU 2017/2018 Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.