Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,272 members, 7,957,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:14 PM

Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? (479 Views)

Do You Help Strangers To Withdraw At The ATM? Read What Happened To A Corper / Standardgoldng E-currency Exchanger: Nairaland Customer Service. / CBN To Introduce Coin Dispensing ATMs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? by Sicozone(m): 5:04am On Sep 19, 2013
Nigeria's coin currency: where has it gone to?
Although am still a kid but i used to remember we had this 1 naira, 50 kobo and 25 kobo coin those days,i can remember vividly that i had a share of it,at least i spent the coin then,i could recall herbert macauly's face on one of it but sincerely can't remember which one had him on,but i think its the 1 naira,i remembered the 1 naira was bigger and heavier than the others,i could remember it was like carrying stones all about but we hardly felt it then cos it was like a part of us,i remembered CBN decided to change its looks then and it made it a little more attractive,and 2 naira coin was now included,i could recall the 1 naira was like a circular in shape silver surrounded with gold and it was quite amazing then,there was a time mum brought it home in bulk and i thought bank dashed her that i even took it anytime but alas it was part of her salary payment then,it came to a point in time and the coin looked worthless and it was just lying all around the house,there was a time nigerians argued that it was a menace and we shouldn't be using such again,i remembered comedians then made it a joking matter and we laughed at imagining our pockets always making some dangling sounds,we imagined how conductors would collect their money,we imagined how robbers would come and want to steal a coin worth millions of naira and it would just be a whole lot of load to run away with. There was a time nobody accepted it as change again and it became a useless currency. Now it seems it has become extinct,it seems our children and little ones will have no story to tell about this interesting part of our lives and that brings me to the question of what has happened to our coins? Is it that it no longer exists or it has been taken off the market by CBN? But the truth is that it still appears in our account statement, profit and loss statement,balance sheet and what have you,to an economist like me those little kobo matter a lot cos they are the ones that pile up to be the millions we talk about. I would love us to share our views and opinions about it,so also our experiences and what we think can be done probably to revive it or maybe it shouldn't even be revived at all. Let's discuss.
- Adesiyan Isaac (Sicozone)
Re: Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? by braine(m): 6:37am On Sep 19, 2013
The coins are totally useless. There's nothing they can be buy. Only if the denominations are reviewed.
Re: Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? by Sicozone(m): 8:03am On Sep 19, 2013
Yeah daz really true and probably if they can be made to be a little weightless. But Seriously it shouldn't be extinct

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? by Gold2NairaCom(m): 8:14am On Sep 19, 2013
The coins are dead. People no longer accept it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? by braine(m): 4:04pm On Sep 19, 2013
Gold2Naira.Com:
The coins are dead. People no longer accept it.

It is accepted in other countries.
Re: Nigeria's Coin Currency:what Has Happened? by Sicozone(m): 5:02pm On Sep 19, 2013
Yeah,very much accepted,in fact some ATM's provide coins,am still wondering why it is no more in circulation,at least we should be seeing it once in a while.

(1) (Reply)

Cbn Bans Importation Of Foreign Currency / Good News For Debtors / How To Expand A Successful Business By Franchising.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.